Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010

...ok, Edmund is kinda hot (though old!Edmund from Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was hotter). Also, Lucy is still fricking adorable.

Edmund is kinda hot

Agreed.

Thirded. ;P

Fourthed! Although I started warming up to Peter after the fight scene in Caspian.

Really? I find Peter rather boring.

I saw Toy Story 3, and though a bit underwhelming, it’s pretty good. My main issue was that it felt too much like The Brave Little Toaster.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010

I saw it too. It was pretty cute and had a lot of action, but it still wasn’t up to par with the first one. But you know me; I’ll get teary-eyed on anything. And Spanish Buzz was pretty lulzy, too.

So I watched Rocky Horror. Four times in the past week.

Tim Curry in a corset = yummy.

I loved Dawn Treader, I can’t wait to see it.

I was bored last night, so I watched DOA: Dead or Alive.

And despite all the gratuitous shots and the under-developed plot, I really, really enjoyed it. Then I found out it was based on a game :)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited

Nathan Fillion should be in every movie. So should Samuel L. Jackson.

Slightly off-topic comment: I was watching Independence Day the other day, and it struck me that Will Smith looks exactly like the Green Lantern John Stewart.

Pics:

I’m not denying that Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan will be pretty cool, but… I’ve never been a huge Hal Jordan fan anyway, so why not start with John Stewart? (it comes of watching too much of the Justice League cartoon and only starting to read JLA after Hal was already, you know, semi-dead.)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Any post featuring Will Smith I heartily approve.

Mmmmmm… Will Smith…

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited

@ swenson: Because Hal Jordan is the human Green Lantern. Jordan was the first GL from Earth (Golden Age GL doesn’t count – he wasn’t part of the Green Lantern Corps). He’s the one they used in every DC direct-to-DVD movie. I’m pretty sure the only reason they went with John Stewart in Justice League was to be PC. (/end geek rant)

Anyway, I think the point is to drag in some of the older geeks. I watched Justice League too, but going with Stewart in the film would be kinda like making a Batman film in ten years with Dick Grayson as Batman.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah… I know. He’s the original guy. I just haven’t read much with him in it, so I’ve never really gotten attached to him.

Also, a movie with Dick Grayson as Batman would be AWESOME! Actually, anything with Dick Grayson in it in any role would be pretty awesome… provided it is the super-sexy-awesome comics character, NOT the one from The Films That Shall Not Be Mentioned or the Adam West series. Or the lame character everyone thinks Dick Grayson is. Yes, he was the first Robin, yes he wore short pants and pixie boots, but he’s grown up now.

Also, a movie with Dick Grayson as Batman would be AWESOME!’

I could see it. Batman, too old and feeble (or dead) to carry on the mission, leaves his uniform to Robin, who takes up the mantle to keep striking fear into the hearts of criminals…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited

I’m the Goddamn Batman, you young whippersnapper.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited

The main problem is that Bruce Wayne would have to be eight hundred years old before that could happen.

Guys, it’s already been done. Like, ten years ago. Batman Beyond.

Look it up.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010

Yeah, but Batman Beyond didn’t have Dick Grayson as Batman.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Eh, I like Dick Grayson because he’s different from Batman. As Nightwing he’s one of my favorite superheros.

@Apep

Yeah, but Batman Beyond didn’t have Dick Grayson as Batman.

True; I was just thinking of the similar concept.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Batman Beyond, which is now officially part of comics continuity! Which is awesome!

Well, the comics right now have Dick Grayson as Batman… so there’s that. With Damian, the son of Bruce Wayne and Talia al Ghul, as Robin. It’s kind of awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010

Guys, it’s already been done. Like, ten years ago. Batman Beyond.

See the picture I hotlinked above. That’s Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond. Considering the level of technology Gotham has in that series (as coimmonplace), he must be nearly 200 years old at least.

Dude, he was about 80 in the show.

And for people being confused as to what we’re talking about, click here and here.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, I always wondered how technology got advanced that fast, because Bruce was only supposed to be about 80.

Best in a long, long line of wonderfully mis-interpret-able lines from the Justice League cartoon:
    Amanda Waller: Bruce left his DNA all over town.
    Terry: O.o…
    Amanda: Not even remotely what I meant!

Remember in Justice League that they already had robots, the ability to travel to alien planets, and of course, whatever Lex Luthor had stashed. To transition from that to BB isn’t really that big of a leap.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Eh. Fair point.

I feel like watching The Lion King. I was looking up stuff about it earlier, and it made me nostalgic. Plus, I keep looking at all these movies I liked as a kid, and they’re all pretty dark…

Plus, I keep looking at all these movies I liked as a kid, and they’re all pretty dark…

That means you have substance, kid. Look on it as a good thing. puts on cool sunnies

And those cool sunnies are there for more reasons than one. I just saw the last Matrix movie, and I’m sorry to all those who don’t think so but it was EPIC! Like, EPIC! with a double K. And ‘epic’ doesn’t even have a double K. That’s how epic it was.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010

I just saw the last Matrix movie

By which you no doubt mean the second and final installment, Reloaded.

Alice in Wonderland was pretty…. And just about nothing else, but I still liked it. <3 Mad Hatter. :D

By which you no doubt mean the second and final installment, Reloaded.

Or pretend that Reloaded and Revolutions are one movie. Really, I always thought the Matrix sequels were easier to swallow when watched all at once.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

What are these “sequels” you talk of? The Matrix was a brilliant movie, but the Wachowski siblings both suffered terrible heart attacks shortly after its release in 1999.

Talking about a Matrix sequel is almost as silly as the thought of a live-action Transformers movie. Simply ridiculous.

Oh, leave it. Reloaded and Revolutions might be underwhelming, but they aren’t the utter shitstains that the fandom keeps complaining about.

But yeah, this talk of a live-action Transformers movie confuses me. What? Did James Cameron say something about doing one? Or did Bryan Singer announce that he would direct it? As long as it isn’t Michael Bay, this might be interesting.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Indeed. I wouldn’t mind a gritty reboot of the Beast Wars saga, but the original Transformers aren’t bad.

On an unrelated note, everybody talks of the Wachowski Brothers as the minds behind The Matrix, but actually it is one man and one girl. Lana (or Larry) Wachowski apparent left her wife for a professional dominatrix (who in tern left her husband for Lana).

Aha! All the shiny skintight leather Trinity wore has been explained.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I can't believe Howard Shore wrote the music for _Eclipse_. He's clearly been the victim of blackmail.

What? What? NOOOO, Howard, don’t go to the dark side!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-*stops for breath*-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howard, no! Don’t fail me now!

...well, at least those of us who have to go watch the thing will hear good music.

I just watched The Haunting in Connecticut. It was a run of the mill horror movie, nothing special, and not really scary either IMO. The acting was pretty good, I’ll them that, but the “scares” were just loud noises and ghosts popping up suddenly. There was some disturbing imagery, but not really scary. I was disappointed. I didn’t think I’d like it, but I figured it would be scary.

Finished Edward Scissorhands... I love that movie but it’s so sad. Nearly cried at the end.

The Illusionist was the awesomest. Loved it. :D Oh, and the fact that Edward Norton was in it helped. :D

I want to see that movie but I’ve never had the chance.

I thought that The Illusionist was okay, but Jessica Biel bugs me.

The Illusionist was fantastic!

Anyway, to add to my recent Matrix controversy, I just saw the final two Star Wars movies…

>>

<<

and I hated them. Please don’t kill me.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

So… you’re one of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Please tell me you mean final as in Attack of the Clones/Revenge of the Sith. Hating those movies is completely acceptable.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

If you come back and tell use that you like 1-3 and didn’t like 4-6 then I will have to put you in the group of people who think Star Wars is about lightsabers.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010 edited

The Illusionist was great, but the ending was the stupidest, laziest bunch of “oops I forgot to tie everything together properly” I’ve ever had the misfortune of witnessing.

I didn’t mind Star Wars 1, in the way that I didn’t mind Cookie Monster eating fruit salad.

Revenge of the Sith wasn’t as bad as the other prequels, but Hayden Christiansen’s acting managed to still ruin everything. Then again, I don’t like Return of the Jedi all that much either. Empire Strikes Back is awesome, and A New Hope is nice too…but those Ewoks. shudders Way to cheapen your space opera, Lucas.

Moving away from Star Wars, saw the end of the Pacino version of Scarface...very bloody. At least now I know where ‘Say hello to my little friend’ comes from.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010

I never did see The Illusionist, but I thought The Prestige was the best movie of its year. I am always bemused by how Hollywood likes to have dueling movies… volcanoes… asteroids… rival stage magicians… wait what D:

Reloaded and Revolutions might be underwhelming, but they aren’t the utter shitstains that the fandom keeps complaining about.

I genuinely love Reloaded, just not for the same reasons that I love the original. There was absolutely no way they could maintain the same atmosphere after everything that had been revealed, but it’s a great action movie in its own right.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Rather, and I adored the Twins. Dang! want to watch it again now, it’s been so long.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’ve never been able to understand why everyone hates Reloaded. Sure, it wasn’t as good as the original, but nothing could ever be, and it was still a lot of fun. It’s hard to live up to the legacy of something amazing. Revolutions, on the other hand… it was just so… ugh. I didn’t like it at all.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

then I will have to put you in the group of people who think Star Wars is about lightsabers.

raises hand

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

raises hand

If you’re not with me, then you’re my enemy! D:

The Illusionist was the awesomest. Loved it. :D Oh, and the fact that Edward Norton was in it helped. :D

Loved it so much! I have it on DVD and watch it at night so my siblings don’t groan about how much I watch it. Because it’s awesome. And I’m usually not surprised by endings, but that one surprised me. Also, young!Eisenheim is cute.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

If you’re not with me, then you’re my enemy! D:

Brother against brother, father against son. Or, in this case, grandmother against grandson. I just want you to know that there are no hard feelings on my part.

Away From Me. Sooooo sad, but soooooo good. ;.;

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Finally saw Let The Right One In not to long ago. It was amazing. One of my favorite movies now.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010 edited

You can’t blame Hayden Christensen for everything wrong with the Anakin character. Most of his lines were so ham-fisted and terrible they made the corniest eye-rollers from the OT(lines which I still love, by the way) sound like dialogue from The Wire.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT

While I will admit the first three are bad. Phantom Menace was the first Star Wars movie I paid attention to, so it has a special place in my heart, right next to Eragon and Nancy Drew and Hermione’s Secret and other poorly-written things that give me warm fuzzies.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I saw Eragon in Tesco the other week for only £3. I was so very tempted. Can you imagine the drinking games? It would be rad.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Gahh, you’d pay money for that thing?! The most rabid fans didn’t even like it…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

:D Well, I’m not going to get the DVD for free anytime soon. And it is so very, very, very funny.

I almost want to hear lines like “I HAVE SKILLZ” again.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

“I’M THE RIDER AND I SAY WE GO!”

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

YEAH. How can you dislike the movie with such magical lines like that?

...Ok, you guys have convinced me, I’ll go back and buy it.

The most rabid fans didn’t even like it…

I should know. I was a rabid fan at the time.

“I’M THE RIDER AND I SAY WE GO!”

“WE FIGHT AS ONE!

I should know. I was a rabid fan at the time.

Ditto this. I was really pissed off by the movie when it came out. Now that I am no longer a rabid fan, I could probably enjoy the unintentional humor in it.

I was a rabid fan too.

I was never a fan, but I was one of those twats that bitched about a book or a movie before ever reading it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I bought Eragon from Amazon for under a dollar. It has provided me with a endless supply of lolz.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

I watch it for the lulz as well.

BUT SHUTTER ISLAND IS THE WIN.

^^I want to see that! It looks like it has an actual plot and everything.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

I knew halfway through, but my mind is weird like that. I can call plots really easily.

But it’s REALLY good.

I can sometimes, but not always. I just meant that it doesn’t seem like it’s just cars exploding and fart jokes like most movies are lately.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

There is one explosion, but it makes perfect sense in context.

Shutter Island was good, but it was really predictable. Five minutes in, I could see where the plot was gonna end up.

Well, explosions are okay when mixed with a real story. I think I read something about how a lot of people were confused by it, so they didn’t like (or that could’ve been about Seven Pounds), but that makes it seem more appealing to me because that means you actually have to pay attention.

Hell, Shutter Island’s twist was obvious from the trailers alone.

I don’t remember the trailers…. I probably didn’t pay very close attention.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

What, no explosion-love?! Explosions are cool. They just need to have a story too.

• CommentAuthorRocky

"Peter Travers warns stupid people to not watch Inception":http://www.nolanfans.com/2010/06/23/first-inception-review-from-rolling-stones-peter-travers/.

I don’t mind them, but they are usually used when there is not much story other than “the bad guys be chasin’ us and blowin’ stuff up.” Explosions are fine when there is a reason and a story.

Sigh. This is what happens when you live on the other side of the world.

If you come back and tell use that you like 1-3 and didn’t like 4-6 then I will have to put you in the group of people who think Star Wars is about lightsabers.

Um, no. I liked 4, didn’t like 5-6, haven’t seen 1-3. I’m abandoning all caution to the wind and saying “Make of that what you will”.

Why does nobody like Revolutions? makes sad face

This is Empire Strikes Back, you know. I’m just assuming you made a counting error, since I don’t see how anybody could not like Empire.

I guess my main complaints with the movies was that they were so slow, you could skip three chapters at a time and still know what was going on, and nobody on the bad side (you know, soldiers who were actually trained for this) seemed to be accurate with their shooting, whereas Princess Leia could kill like five guys in five shots, River Tam style. It didn’t make sense.

It sucks, because I really wanted so much to like it.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010

I can somewhat understand seeing the OT as progressing slowly; Lucas originally wrote that particular arc as one screenplay, but had to chop it into three due to the size. I personally like slower films - probably the reason I'm such a fan of movies like _Patton_ or _The Bridge on the River Kwai_. I like watching people move through stories, rather than having stories happen to people, if that makes any sense. Frantic films give me the sense that they were patched together with half a thought. Even though it's not a guarantee of quality, I find a greater degree of it in slower-paced films; they give me a sense of something other than the director just counting down until the next action piece.

Of course, longer doesn't ever necessarily mean better *coughavatarcough*

The Starfighters is the worst, most boring movie I have ever seen ever. It was on the Myster Science Theater 3000 that I was watching on Hulu. Even with the commentary, which was hilarious at times, it was still boring. The commentary only served to keep me from screaming and generally losing my mind. Nothing happened in the whole damn thing. Nothing! I had never seen that show before. I’ll watch another one tomorrow. I made a poor choice in selecting a first episode. The refueling jokes were pretty good though.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

So the first real preview is out for Deathly Hallows.

And now I’m reeeeally excited about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010 edited

I don’t see why people hate Star Wars 1-3 so much. They weren’t good, but I don’t think they are deserving of the loads of hate people pour out on them. They at least have very pretty special effects.

Ooh, I watched one trailer yesterday (don’t know if it’s the one you’re talking about), and I want to see it RIGHT NOW... both parts.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I think 4 was the worst, personally. 1-2 were a bit dull and missing some of the pure whimsy and imagination. 3 was all right.

That is the trailer that I saw. I’m not sure about the 3D thing though. I might have to see it in both.

Personally, the fifth movie annoyed me the most. They cut out all the Quidditch stuff. And six, while entertaining, changed/left out some stuff too. And the ending of six really pissed me off…

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

See, I love 1 and 2. They’re true to the books and just lovely. 3… well, my reaction was this.

Head tilt

O.o

O.O

>:O

KILL THIS ABOMINATION WITH FIRE! NOW!

It went downhill from there. My main complaint is this: screenwriters, STOP MAKING CRAP UP! Also, wtf with all the muggle clothes? NO.

I liked one and two also, and they were true to the books, even though I read the books after I saw those two movies.

STOP MAKING CRAP UP!

I agree. Enough happens in the books that is left out to fill in all the parts that are full of stuff that didn’t happen the books. They shouldn’t have to make up filler. Regardless of not being completely true to the books, I still love the movies because they haven’t been untrue enough to make me not love them, just enough to mildly annoy me and induce after movie bitching about how “that’s not what happened in the book.” Then I buy it on DVD when it comes out anyway.

I missed a bunch of stuff in six because I didn’t remember the book that well. I need to reread them before watching seven, so I’ll know all the butchering that is taking place, but with two movies, there shouldn’t be as much butchering as usual.

Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis, and Morgan Freeman as ex-CIA agents.

I think I’m in love.

@NeuroticPlatypus

I had never seen that show before. I’ll watch another one tomorrow. I made a poor choice in selecting a first episode.

My favorites are Pumaman, Manos: The Hands of Fate, Prince of Space, Hercules againt the Moon Men, and Pod People. You’d do well to watch them.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

OH. MY. GOD.

@Dan
    I will keep those in mind.

Borat. Very funny, but very offensive.