Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010

That seems a rather impractical and outdated tradition. It would be nicely bittersweet if he said no at the end, or progressive if she failed to find him until the day after but did it anyway, showing how true love rises above earthly customs.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Actually the movie made it out to be a pretty dumb tradition too, and in the end when she finally got to Dublin on the right day, he proposed to her first. But she ended up with a different (Irish, YES) guy in the end end because her fiancé ended up being a douchebag. Sorry about the spoilers, but really, I don’t think anyone here cares.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Starstruck. Yeah, that’s what I said.

I just found out that Mackenzie Crook is in The Merchant of Venice! I am SO watching it!

Has anybody seen Whip It with Emily Blunt?

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

_The Manchurian Candidate_ (the remake), _Edge of Darkness_, and _Jaws_.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Saw the second half of Master and Commander with my parents. The doctor is a whiny bitch. Boohoo, you want to study natural history, but in the meantime, FRENCH SHIP IS ATTACKING YOUR WHALERS, STUPID! Grrrrrr.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Dude. The doctor is Naked Chaucer. He’s awesome. And the only shallow reason (well, him and Lt. Pullings) I sat through that film the first time, and watched it more than once.

...I want to watch it again now. Mmmm. :3

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

...I want to watch it again now. Mmmm. :3

No, no you don’t. Get back to work, Jeni. D:<

How dare you not mention Pippin? That movie had PIPPIN for crying out loud!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

No, no you don’t. Get back to work, Jeni. D:<

Hush, boy!

How dare you not mention Pippin?

I don’t really follow Billy Boyd as an actor. However, I do Chaucer and James D’Arcy.

I don’t follow him either, but any film that features someone from LOTR automatically gets a few points.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hush, boy!

Yes, Jeni. D:

One of these days I will stand up to you. Just you wait.

The doctor is Naked Chaucer.

As in Chaucer from A Knight’s Tale? That Chaucer?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Of course. Who else?

So I’ve decided not to ever watch Dr Horrible late at night ever again. I cannot take sad things after ten pm. Me = many tears.

Don’t worry, they’re making a sequel.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Has a filming date been announced yet? Last I was heard, it was during the HIMYM break of 2011.

D: So very far away.

So, Peter Jackson’s doing a Tintin movie. Thoughts?

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010

A Tintin movie!? Tintin, as in hero reporter with sidekick/dog Snowy?

Brilliant!

Tintin, as in hero reporter with sidekick/dog Snowy?

Indeed.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Oh that’s just great! Cartoon movie or with actual actors?

As you may have gathered, I am a fan of Tintin.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010 edited

I still think Thomas Sangster would have been a better choice than Jamie Bell. I’m not writing Jamie Bell off, I just think Thomas Sangster is a better actor and visually suits the role better. Although, duh, it is motion capture, so however that works out.

I am pleased Edgar Wright has been a part of the scriptwriting, though. I like him. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010 edited

Eh, I think Jamie Bell is a better choice. Thomas Sangster looks too childish, and while Tintin is supposed to be young, I think they made a good choice with Jamie.

Don’t worry, they’re making a sequel.

That does make me feel better. If only we knew when, exactally…

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Karate Kid. It ruled.

Karate Kid. It ruled.

The remake? I didn’t know that it was out yet, much less that it was actually awesome.

Is it as good as the original? Will we be seeing a remake of Back to the Future any time soon?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’ve never seen the original, actually. I heard they made a few unforgivable changes, but the end result seemed pretty damn good. And yeah, it just came out in theaters today.

But it was so good.

I’ve never seen the original, actually.

Blasphemy! It’s the cheesy ’80s teen movie!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yeah, I was never exposed to stuff from the ’80s, as my parents were living in a hole at the time. Sorry.

Yeah, I was never exposed to stuff from the ’80s, as my parents were living in a hole at the time. Sorry.

Watch it now. And see Back to the Future while you’re at it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Okaaaay. Whatever you say, man. I think we’ve actually got Back to the Future on VHS here somewhere….

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

What about the sequels? Those hoverboards looked fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Hey, I can only take so much ’80s at a time.

Also, go watch The Breakfast Club.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010

kjknkdhaglndiunvaukykvgjadyuvgyahbvgahbfSPANMAN HASN'T SEE BACK TO THE FUTURE????
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

This sounds like the kind of thing that would be hilarious if done by competent people. Friedberg and Seltzer’s record does not look encouraging.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010 edited

eww, the Scary/Disaster/Hero/Date/Epic Movie guys? I forsee that there will be much failing and gnashing of teeth.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

kjknkdhaglndiunvaukykvgjadyuvgyahbvgahbfSPANMAN HASN’T SEE BACK TO THE FUTURE????

And what are you going to do about it?

Just watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. I LOVED that movie as a kid so much. Sure, the songs are subpar and it’s not like the book…

But I don’t care. Gene Wilder is just awesome.

He’s scary as hell, though.

He’s scary as hell, though.

But wonderfully so.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

And what are you going to do about it?

I think you could get some free DVDs out of this, Spanman.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I am not opposed to this idea.

All of the Back To The Futures are coming on today at 3 on ABC Family, and then they’re repeating the cycle. QUICK GO RECORD THEM!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yeah, 3 was like four hours ago.

But they’re showing them twice!

Toy Story.

Parently, Joss Whedon was a writer? Why didn’t I know this?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Because he is that awesome.

I watched it a while ago for the first time in forever, and my jaw dropped.

I still need to see Toy Story. Please don’t kill me, because then I will never see it.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

O.O

Stop what you are doing. Go watch Toy Story. Now.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Please don’t kill me

I don’t know. Can you watch Toy Story in the intervening time between an ICBM launch and your total annihilation?

An ICBM launch? Why go overboard when a simple dose of cyanide can do the trick?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Excuse me, but how on Earth do you propose we go about acquiring cyanide?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Sometimes theatrics are necessary for the optimum effect.

No theatrics necessary, I swear!

@Snow White Queen

I still need to see Toy Story. Please don’t kill me, because then I will never see it.

They will never find your body.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010 edited

bq. I think you could get some free DVDs out of this, Spanman.

Viewing those films will constitute the entirety of any benefit she receives, with or without my involvement.

Know what made my draw drop? Finding out that the original voice actors for both Andy and Sid will be returning for Toy Story 3.

I saw the 1992 Super Mario Bros. “movie” yesterday with my little brother.

It wiped.

I haven’t watched Tarzan in absolute ages, and yet I remember almost every line.

“Then I was saved, I was saved by a flying wildman in a loincloth!

Oh God I’m watching Disney movies I have no life oh God.

DAMMIT! Back to the Future Part I deleted itself on my DVR! URGH.

DAMMIT! Back to the Future Part I deleted itself on my DVR! URGH.

Just threaten it. Or hug it. Whatever seems to work.

Also, rewatching Tarzan gives me Pocahontas vibes, specifically that the villian is violent and mustachioed and the invaded tribe feels threatened specifically because they’re different from the invaders.

Who cares?

“I wanna know, can you showwww me, I wanna know ‘bout these strangers like me…”

Also, BRIAN BLESSED voices the villain. Come on, now. And Tantor! “Are sure this water’s sanitary? It looks questionable to me!”

I really liked Turk as a kid, especially because I figured out she was a girl. “The FUUUUN has ARRIIIIIVED! Yeah, thank ya very much.”

Thankfully I can usually forget that she’s voiced by Rosie O’Donnell after ten minutes. Thank god. In related famous-people-doing-voice-work, I was so startled yet happy when I realized…

So much win.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Mind = Blown.

You didn’t know that?

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010

Nothing can equate the mind-blowage as when I discovered who did the Joker's voice.

@everyone

You didn’t know that?

Seriously, I knew that before I even knew about Ellen herself.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

You haven’t seen Toy Story, you are in no position to criticize, m’dear.

XP

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Joker’s voice.

That is far better than Ellen Degeneres doing Dory. That was really obvious, you didn’t even have to look for it.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010 edited

Well, we're talking over a decade ago. My prepubescent mind was blown to smithereens when I found out.

Well, we’re talking over a decade ago. My prepubescent mind was blown to smithereens when I found out.

My mind was blown when I realized that he did the voice of Muska in Castle in the Sky.

Aw, I never saw the English dub.

Aw, I never saw the English dub.

It’s actually a well-done dub, up until the climax, at which point it stops making sense for a bit, then goes back to awesomeness.

Now, what blew my mind was that Darth Vader and Mufasa are the same person. And black.

Just saw the Karate Kid remake. It’s a “remake” of the original in the same way that Blade Runner is an “adaptation” of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? – the plot’s similar, but literally everything else is completely different.

Also, there was no karate. It would have made more sense to call the thing “Kung-Fu Kid” as its true title, and not just some bonus for the European market.

How does it compare to the original? Eh, I liked the original more. That said, the remake was surprisingly good, especially with the scenery and fight choreography. The cinematography, though, vacillated between brilliant (the view through the car window near the beginning) and awful (bright lights shining directly into the already shaky camera in many scenes). I didn’t find the characters nearly as likeable as the originals, although that may have been because they were all 12-year-olds and I’m a child-hating misanthrope. (A few are fine, but I’m not sold on completely populating a film with them.) There were a few cool references to the original, but the lack of car-waxing IN A SCENE WITH A CAR AND WAX was unforgiveable. (Maybe the fact that the scene contained both items was itself the reference, but I was still disappointed.) I really hated the “romance” aspect of the movie – when did you ever see 12-year-olds get all mushy like that? Heck, the kid looks closer to 10!

And why is there a song-and-dance number featuring Lady Gaga’s “Pokerface”? (I swear that I didn’t make that up.)

So, yeah, decent movie, but the original was way better.

There were a few cool references to the original, but the lack of car-waxing IN A SCENE WITH A CAR AND WAX was unforgiveable.

That’s because “wax on-wax off” (as well as “paint the house” and “paint the fence”) are techniques from Okinawan karate. I haven’t seen the remake, but as you said, they are doing Chinese, not Japanese, martial arts.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010

The A-Team. Loved it, but don’t expect it to sweep the Oscars.

@Devin Monahan

That’s because “wax on-wax off” (as well as “paint the house” and “paint the fence”) are techniques from Okinawan karate.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010

Ah, but kung fu have similar techniques, such as tarnsao and justsao (“rising wrist block” and “jerk-hand”), which correlates to paint-the-fence up-down; some styles of southern kung fu and tai chi have a technique that correlates to wax-on-wax-off, and others have techniques that correlate to scrub-the-deck. Snake style kung fu famously has a jutsao-bilsao (“jerk-hand” and “thrusting-hand”) combination that correlates to paint-the-fence side-side, and wing chun and many styles have the garnsao (“splitting hand”) that is roughly the same as the karate low-side block, which I don’t remember the name of in the movie.

At any rate, there was ample opportunity to use wax-on-wax-off, but the technique would have been applied differently.

Just watched the extended edition of The Two Towers...no wonder stoners love LotR.

Those movies are teh awesomest. :D

A while back but…

The idea is that some normal guy gets sucked into the game somehow.

I believe that is called Jumanji, or at least it’s close enough.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010

Or its knock-off kid brother, Zathura. (it’s Jumanji… IN SPAAAACE!)

@NeuroticPlatypus

I believe that is called Jumanji, or at least it’s close enough.

Nah; Jumanji is about stuff from a game ending up in the real world.

@TakuGifian

Or its knock-off kid brother, Zathura.

Actually, they’re both based on picture books written by the same guy.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010

Which is probably the most depressing thing about both books.

Actually, they’re both based on picture books written by the same guy.

Yeah. I originally thought it was a knockoff, but apparently, Zathura was the game on the other side of the Jumanji board game. Old games used to have a different game on each side.

Still, Monopoly isn’t exactly action-packed. I don’t see how him getting sucked into the game is all that interesting. Oh know! John Doe went to jail and did not collect two-hundred dollars!

Maybe if it’s LotR Monopoly, like I have.

Ha ha. I have that too. I haven’t played it for about five years though.

I have that too.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010

I don’t even remember what happened in the book, I just remember that I didn’t like it.

Oh my gosh, I didn’t even know they were making another one after Prince Caspian... After all, it was quite bad.
    Also: CASPIAN! Squeeeee!! :D

It made money, didn’t it?

Yes, but not as much as the first.

Money is money. They will run it into the ground until they start to lose money on it.

I’ve never actually seen Prince Caspian, or read it, but I did see and read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

• CommentTimeJun 18th 2010

Hopefully Dawn Treader will be good… no Susan! So they can’t play up the horrific tumor that was Caspian/Susan in the movie. The actors who play Edmund and Lucy are fricking adorable, so yay. Also, Liam Neeson as Aslan. Heck yes!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010 edited

Everyone grew up. D:

But there’s a different director, so I’m willing to give this one a chance, even after Prince Caspian, which really left something to be desired.