Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

The enthusiasm of your amusement is frankly alarming.

Watching Spanman and Rocky bicker is, in my opinion, better then watching any movie.

They just need to admit their repressed love for one another and get it over with.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

I've nothing to confess. I'm a nomadic, isolationist, cold-hearted misanthrope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

... in wuv.

@Rocky

I’ve nothing to confess. I’m a nomadic, isolationist, cold-hearted misanthrope.

That makes two of us. Three, if you count Yahtzee.

• CommentAuthorRocky

@Dan: Yahtzee's misanthropy eclipses my own, so might as well.

Three's company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

This conversation is so old.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Maybe for Granny Spanny. For us youngsters, it's still current.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Speak up, you’re mumbling too quiet for this old lady. Kids today.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I'm speaking clearly. Your hearing aid must've died.

....wait.....what thread was this again??
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

....wait…..what thread was this again??

Getting old and starting to lose your memory, Rocky?

• CommentAuthorRocky

I pose questions to others by asking them of myself.

I’ve nothing to confess. I’m a nomadic, isolationist, cold-hearted misanthrope.

You’re fooling nobody, Rocky. Game recognize game, and you’re looking kind of unfamiliar right now.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m too good for hearing aids. Obviously.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

Don’t insult hearing aids. We deafies rely on them.

I watched a movie that was 8 episodes long (I guess it’s more like a series in form of a movie) and it’s very, very boring. I already forgot its name.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Sorry, I was actually talking about hearing aids for the elderly, a demographic to which I don’t belong. Much as everyone here would like to believe it.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010 edited

bq. You’re fooling nobody, Rocky. Game recognize game, and you’re looking kind of unfamiliar right now.

That's just due to the internet barrier. Rocky IRL even tends to produce a bit of revulsion from the usual passerby.

NO CIPOT: Saw Iron Man 2 last night. RDJ owns and Rourke was fantastic as a Russian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Look! We agree on something!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

That makes taking your advice rather awkward, Spanman. :( How am I supposed to annoy Rocky now?

IT DOESN’T WORK IF YOU AGREE. ;_;

Well, assuming I can get into town by 11:30am, gonna see it tomorrow anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

The Bum heartily recommends it. In fact, it’s the greatest movie he’s ever seen in his life!

• CommentAuthorRocky

My opinion coinciding with Spanny's is just that: coincidence. However, I thought the movie was sorta....everywhere. And the sound mixing was a bit of a mess.

I have to heap some more praise on Rourke. I totally bought him as a Russian (although I kinda-sort nitpicked the way he bit into his W's and how softly he rolled his R's). And whoever wrote the screenplay did quite well with the structure of his English lines.

In Humanities we saw half of Life is Beautiful. I absolutely LOVED it, but I missed the end because I was pulled out of class for testing. Now I must rent it and finish!

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010 edited

Just saw The Little Mermaid on Youtube. I didn’t like this movie when I was a kid, and I dislike it even more now that I’ve seen it as an adult. The big problem I have with it is the theme about Ariel wanting to become human. Sorry, but the idea of a mermaid changing her species, changing her fundamental identity, sounds uncannily like a black person wanting to become white or a homosexual wanting to become straight. Wouldn’t a better moral have been “be content with who you are”? Besides, it’s not like life on land is much better than marine life. Both the terrestrial and ocean worlds have their hardships.

Also, “Poor Unfortunate Souls” is the worst villain song I’ve ever heard.

The big problem I have with it is the theme about Ariel wanting to become human. Sorry, but the idea of a mermaid changing her species, changing her fundamental identity, sounds uncannily like a black person wanting to become white or a homosexual wanting to become straight.

THE PRINCE CAN’T LIVE UNDERWATER. Also, since when does someone’s outward appearance constitute their “fundamental identity”?

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010

While I think Ariel can be annoying for being a rebellious princess, you did rather miss the point. Also, Poor Unfortunate Souls is awesome. The Nostalgia Critic would be very displeased with you.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I still have no idea why I was allowed to watch that as a kid. There is OBJECTIONABLE CONTENT. Yeah.

^^Are you talking about the sexual stuff that is supposedly in a bunch of Disney movies?

Isn’t the point of the movie supposed to be the whole “love conquers all” bit? Oh, and in the original fairy tale, Ursala doesn’t just steal her voice. She cuts out her tongue. :/

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

Just saw The Little Mermaid Avatar on Youtube. I didn’t like this movie when I was a kid, an adult, and I dislike it even more now that I’ve seen it as an adult. a slightly older adult. The big problem I have with it is the theme about Ariel Jake wanting to become human. furry. Sorry, but the idea of a mermaid human changing her his species, changing her his fundamental identity, sounds uncannily like a black white person wanting to become white a noble savage stereotype that never actually existed or a homosexual nondeviant wanting to become straight. furry. Wouldn’t a better moral have been “be content with who you are”? Besides, it’s not like life on land in America is much better than marine fictional state of nature life. Both the terrestrial civilized and ocean savage worlds have their hardships.

Also, “Poor Unfortunate Souls” is the worst villain song I’ve ever heard.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Well, the original version is great.

The Jonas Brothers’ remix, on the other hand…

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

OK, I’ll accept a mermaid changing her species so she can be with a human prince, but there’s still the problem of how rushed the romance in The Little Mermaid is. Eric and Ariel seem to fall in love in a period of only three days, even though Ariel can’t even speak. They never get to know each other very well at all. At least it takes many days for Jake to fall in love with Neytiri in Avatar.

And I stand by my opinion that “Poor Unfortunate Souls” is terrible.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Well it is a movie with limited time… And it’s a fairy tale. In fairy tales princes magically show up at just the right moment to rescue their damsel in distress. You can’t really expect more romance out of a childrens cartoon.

how rushed the romance (...) Eric and Ariel seem to fall in love in a period of only three days

Dan in Real Life disagrees with you.

At least it takes many days for Jake to fall in love with Neytiri in Avatar.

That doesn’t make Avatar any less glaringly guilty of the sort of racial/sexual escapism fantasy you’ve very shakily assigned to The Little Mermaid. Avatar is transparently about betraying one’s own culture for “better” one.

Well, I slightly agree with Brandon. I mean, I was totally obsessed with loved The Little Mermaid as a kid, and then I watched it again when I was thirteen and I did find it somewhat silly. On the other hand, I haven’t experienced this with Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast, so it’s not just Disney movies.

(Before you all lynch me, I do still have a lasting fondness for it, and I still want gloriously floating red hair like Ariel’s. And I never saw the Avatar connections till now. The applications just never end, do they?)

so it’s not just Disney movies.

But there are quite a few. I get what you guys are saying. I have also re-watched things that I loved as a kid and found them sort of silly, or even stupid.

Before you all lynch me

Why, SWQ, we would never do a thing like that. Criticizing Disney movies only requires a stoning.

Oh, okay then. XP

My favorite cartoon when I was little was The Land Before Time.

My brother used to watch those all the time!

My brother used to watch those all the time!

THERE WERE NO SEQUELS. NO SEQUELS.

NO! SEQUELS!

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

But I liked the sequels! D:

brings memory-erasing pills

Sure you did.

I loved The Land Before Time more than I can really express in words when I was a kid. Fortunately, I never saw the sequels(as if such things existed anyway, right?) so my memories remain untarnished.

There were like ten of them. Even my brother got tired of it after a while, but there was a time when I couldn’t get him to stop borrowing them from the library.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

I actually enjoyed some of the sequels, though the sheer number of them (I believe there are thirteen currently out) is mind-boggling.

I never liked The Land Before Time, just because my brother wouldn’t stop watching them over and over and over and over…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010 edited

Had some spare time this weekend, so went to go see Four Lions. Whilst funny, it wasn’t as funny as Charlie Brooker had promised me.

But it was still brilliant and totally worth London cinema prices.

MOLDORM, go see it. :3

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010

Four Lions? I don’t believe I’ve heard of it before. To the Google!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

8D The trailer still makes me laugh, it’s been editted so well.

I just saw In Bruges. I thought it was pretty funny and liked the climax.

The Land Before Time

I loved the original, and the first three or four sequels I enjoyed also. After that, it got ridiculous.

And rule of thumb, you’ll never be able to look at Ducky the same way after hearing about what happened to her original voice actress.

^^I just looked it up. That’s terrible. I like what they put on her headstone though: “J.E.B. – Our Concrete Angel – Yep Yep Yep”.

I watched Clue on LOGO today. Whenever I watch anything on that channel, I always try to figure out why it’s on that channel (unless it’s blatantly obvious). The only reason I can think of for Clue is that at the beginning, Mr. Green says that he’s gay, but then at the end he really isn’t.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Isn’t Clue amazing? :D

Yes! I have seen it before, several times. I have it on DVD. It’s just so ridiculous that it has to be amazing. I like watching it with all the endings.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010

Tomb Raider. Daniel Craig was enough to redeem it for me, at least a tiny bit.

Dr Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog. Twas hilarious and the songs are quite catchy.

And NPH Is flipping adorable. As soon as I saw him, I went: Awwwwwwww.

And he’s got a really nice singing voice.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

Robin Hood. It was all around pretty cool.

I saw Orphan the other day. It was the typical mildly ridiculous creepy kid movie. The twist at the end was pretty unique though. I was surprised.

Since the AP test is done, my AP US History class is doing a unit on American films. We finished The Birth of A Nation the other day (yeesh), and have watched about half of The Thin Man, a detective comedy from the ’30s. It’s really hilarious.

Dr Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog. Twas hilarious and the songs are quite catchy.

Dr. Horrible is pure, distilled excellence.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is hilarious.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is hilarious.

I love that movie; it’s Robert Downey Jr. at his best.

“Look up the word idiot in the dictionary, you know what you’ll find?”

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I think my favorite quip was:

Is this it? [referring to a body wrapped in a sheet]

No, this is the corpse from the guy that was living here before.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010

bq. _Robin Hood_. It was all around pretty cool.

Ditto and ditto. Cast was all superb, but I especially loved Max Von Sydow's work; he did an excellent job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010

Woah, Spanman and Rocky agreed on something?

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010 edited

My perspectives toward stories work autonomously. See: _The Wolfman_.

But just so we can get some distance and contrast: I loved the cinematography, aside from the use of shaky-cam moments during conflict (it almost felt as though Scott was going for a Crusades-era Omaha Beach). I liked the story and how it was delivered; I didn't really feel as though elements were shoehorned into it (aside from one minor thing). I saw the legend, so to speak, fall into place out of necessity of events rather than "so says the director". Watching it all in a strong historical context added to the enjoyability. And the score was fantastic; Marc Streitenfeld is now on my watch list.

My major complaint: the title is not appropriate for the story being told. It should've been something like _Loxley_.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010 edited

I watched Dr. Horrible again for the fourth time this week. Why didn’t I watch this earlier?

Anyway, I think the ending get sadder each time I see it..

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010

And the score was fantastic; Marc Streitenfeld is now on my watch list.

I’m really bad at noticing soundtracks the first time I watch films. However, I did notice the costumes, and found the majority of them, namely Marian’s and most of the male cast’s, to be wonderfully amazing.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Speaking of soundtracks, I watched Coraline today. The choral music is amazing.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. I’m really bad at noticing soundtracks the first time I watch films.

I seem to be an extremely rare case in that I not only notice scores, but typically decide whether or not to purchase them by the time the credits roll. One other thing I really liked about _Robin Hood_: the combat. I'm not just talking about medieval violence, but how it was presented. I can't even put my finger on it, but there was something especially cool about it.

Also: "Charge":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylvxTmM9NA, from the Robin Hood OST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I liked the way the combat was filmed, but it got a bit much after a while, seeing as we’d gotten to the theater late and had to settle for seats in the second row from the front. My eeeyes.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010

I'm starting to get put off by the shaky cam these days. It made that final battle (which was _excellent_) really feel like Ridley Scott's version of D-Day.

Sherlock Holmes was wonderful! It was actually more realistic to the books than I thought. :D

They’re showing Aliens on SyFy. They’re actually showing a movie that doesn’t suck on SyFy. That happens less and less these days.

They showed Children of Men, 28 Days Later, and Serenity recently. There might be a chance that the decade-long wounds are finally healing.

I just watched Moon. It was alright. I’m a bit confused though…It was really interesting and original though. I’m just a little confused. It felt unresolved.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010

Well, I saw the Lovely Bones. I haven’t read the book, but the movie was….weird. It didn’t seem to flow very well or something. And it seemed more effort was put into making the afterlife pretty than into the plot. I must assume the book is much better and should get around to reading it.

I also made my ten year old sister watch Dr Horrible. Because I’m a terrible influence. (The sexual jokes went over her head anyway. And she’s smart enough not to repeat bad words) Anyway, she liked it. And yelled at Penny for being stupid the entire time. So that’s one more sibling corrupted.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010

Cloverfield. Interesting.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010

Pitch Black.

I enjoyed it, its far better than the other Riddick movie, much less destiny, more character driven.

I enjoyed it, its far better than the other Riddick movie

Oh, indeed. Pitch Black was a good movie; The Chronicles of Riddick was like an awful fanfiction. So, the only reason that Riddick was so awesome was that he was a “Furyan” (retarded name, by the way) and couldn’t help it? Good job taking him down a notch, movie. The Necromongers are worthless villains with their pseudo-Renaissance aesthetic and general ponciness, and the mountains of contrived “mythos” surrounding them make me retch. (“Underverse”? Really?) How come that old lady can turn into wind, but can’t escape the Necromongers by blowing away? Why does Crematoria (real subtle naming there) have such a drastic temperature difference between its hemispheres if it has an atmosphere capable of supporting life? (Such an atmosphere would greatly equalize heat distribution – you know, like the one that we have in the real world.) Riddick’s one-liners are terrible. (“It’s been a long time since I’ve smelled beautiful.”) Most shots of New Mecca and the Necromonger tower-ship-things are unconvincingly shaded and look very much like the computer renderings that they are. Finally, the ending with Riddick taking over the Necromonger army is just ludicrous – if his lost Furyan heritage didn’t already make him look like a bad OC, Riddick’s newfound command certainly does.

So, yeah, I pretty much hated the movie.

Necromonger

...really?

No, really?

...really?

Really. They wear suits of armor, fly around in giant sword handles, drain planets of “life” by impaling them with their spaceships, enslave entire populations by driving “pain spikes” through their necks, worship death and agony, and continually search for a parallel world called the “Underverse” that they can rule. Only a Furyan can defeat them, and Riddick is the last of his kind (another “bad OC” trait that I should have mentioned earlier).

As awful as it sounds here, it’s even worse in the movie itself.

I have no words.

The worst part is that it was made by the same guy who did Pitch Black in the first place. It’s like George Lucas following up A New Hope with The Phantom Menace, only The Phantom Menace takes the place of The Empire Strikes Back, and it consists entirely of midi-chlorians and Jar Jar.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel

Pitch Black is very good. I’ve only ever seen bits and pieces of its (to me) non-canon sequel on TV. Too bad they got a good cast together with a larger budget and came up with all that crap.

I also had my first viewing of Cloverfield last night. I quite enjoyed it! The notorious shaky-cam was not as shaky as I was led to expect, and I really enjoyed how they never ‘broke character’ with the filming style. I did a little digging afterwards and found some spoilerriffic backstory that I guess is included as a separate viewing mode on the Blu-ray. My appreciation of the film increased! I wonder if Super 8 is going to be similar.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Chronicles of Riddick is entertaining, but really bad nonetheless.

You made me laugh out loud at work, DL. I can’t explain it to the stupid children, either, so it’s just sorta awkward.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited

I just saw the new Robin Hood with Russel Crowe.

I want Errol Flynn back.

sighs

And it seemed more effort was put into making the afterlife pretty than into the plot. I must assume the book is much better and should get around to reading it.

They did and it is.

Watched a bit of Trainspotting at HIstory class. Not even 20 minutes in, and most of the class was averting their eyes and looking for brain bleach.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

I haven’t seen Trainspotting for years. Loved it, but still, I really need to watch it again.

I just saw Robin Hood. It was….ok, I guess.

My complaints:

I’m pretty sure King Richard came back home after the crusades and then marched out again to France, where he died. But he did die in France.

John signed the friggin magna carter!

It was a very typical guy action movie. I mean, I do like that it’s a different angle on Robin Hood. It wasn’t that it was cliched, exactlly….just very typical. I think the problem is that there’s not sense of urgence, because we KNOW that Robin Hood, his merry men, and Maid Marian don’t die.

Russell Crowe is a good actor. HOWEVER, He’s a bit too old (and a smidge to fat) to be Robin Hood. I mean, he’s still hot and all, (and I still squeed at his shirtless scene. Much to the annoyance of my brother and dad) but….at least, unlike some Robin Hoods, he actually has an English accent. (except for when it slips and he’s Australian)

Why are the nobles portayed as good, sweet, perfect people who treated their peasants like people? Cuz they didn’t. The Fedual system kind of sucked….

Anyway, it wasn’t a bad movie and I enjoyed it (if only for Russell Crowe being hot…ish.). It’s not something I’d watch again, but definately a good way to waste an evening. My verdict: see it, and then forget about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

And definitely don’t use it as a source in your essay on English History for school.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/russell-crowe-walks-out-over-irish-robin-hood-question-1973427.html

awww, is ickle Russellkinz grouchy?

What a brat.

Anyway, I’m now listening to the audio. He’s got a lovely deep voice, even if he is bratty.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Researchers have suggested—and most of the linguistics world agrees— that cultivated (noble) English in the late 1100s would have been closest to a Yorkshire accent. So John’s accent in the movie was probably closest to historical accuracy. The rest of the actors just applied modern accents to over-one-thousand-years-ago.

Of course, now I’m just being pedantic.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I don't remember all of Crowe's dialogue, but I don't remember hearing much of an Irish accent, if at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorarska

Taku, I really love you right now.

Just sayin’

However, I’m finding myself wanting to see it, I’m trying to stay away from it.

Also Taku, Robin of Locksely/Loxley is only a preference/ what version you read. There is the possiblility he was Huntington/Huntingdon- and then his name was Robert. I also rember a version in which he was actually an Earl who defended his wife-to-be(Marian) and ended up accidentally killing a man. He was a taxcollector of some sort, and in the end he was outlawed, and eventually Marian ran away, and they still got married. Butr, Like I said- It depends on the version. :)