Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010

I'm seeing it on Sunday, but it's getting me out of an insanely unpleasant dinner, so to the theater I shall go.

BTW, Spanny, The Wolfman comes out on DVD June 1st. You _will_ buy it.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

I AM GOING TO WATCH SHERLOCK HOLMES TONIGHT, AND THEN TOMORROW I WILL REVEL IN IT’S POSSIBLE GLORIOUSNESS WITH MY COUSIN TOMORROW!

I watched Stardust for something like the eighth time today. :D It was glorious. >.<

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

BTW, Spanny, The Wolfman comes out on DVD June 1st. You will buy it.

Funny. And the name’s Spanman.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I watched Avatar last night without subtitles (except when they spoke in that foreign language) and I have to admit, while it’s good, I’m seeing too much resemblance between Pocahontas and Avatar.

And I was reminded just why I hate 3-D. They give me a raging headache size of a football field afterward. Argh.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Sigh, I want to see it again for the pretty.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. I AM GOING TO WATCH SHERLOCK HOLMES TONIGHT, AND THEN TOMORROW I WILL REVEL IN IT’S POSSIBLE GLORIOUSNESS WITH MY COUSIN TOMORROW!

Really, really, really good movie. Pay close attention to RDJ, because he's fantastic in the role.

Really, really, really good movie.

I never saw the movie nor read any of the reviews…was that supposed to be sarcastic?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No, he’s genuinely good.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

IT WAS AMAZING. THE ONLY QUALM I HAVE IS IRENE ADLER WAS MORE OR LESS THERE FOR FLIRTING, BUT SHE WAS STILL AS AWESOME AS EVER.

And, understandably, considering RDJ’s background and the repercussions, they did not stress the drug use, but I can understand why. THIS IS WHAT A GOOD MOVIE ADAPTATION IS.

Okay, then I must check it out.

In other movie news, I finished Moulin Rouge! today. I liked it surprisingly enough. It was a bit silly in places, obviously, but I liked the style. Kind of reminded me of Across the Universe, only with WAY more random songs. It also had the added benefit of inspiring me to write. (My idea in the first place is kind of an anti- passionate, thoughtless love affair)

Hey, we just watched Moulin Rouge! tonight! I love coincidences :D

The costumes are ridiculously awesome. So, so awesome.

It’s even funnier if you’re Indian, trust me. The best part was that Bollywood movies are about that over-the-top, but not as creative.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010

I saw Clash of the Titans last night. It was really entertaining and awesome special-effectsy, but a lot of the acting was really wooden. Ah well. The next movie I watch is going to have Sam Worthington actually playing a part where he’s Australian, so I don’t have to be annoyed about his bad accents.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. was that supposed to be sarcastic?

What Virg said: no, he was genuinely good. I can't even properly describe how or why; there's just something manic behind his eyes, like clockwork that refuses to stop ticking. My only minor complaint was that they hired Zimmer to compose the score; his instrumentation is highly creative (which I love), but his "off-kilter" thematic material constantly reminds me of his writing for Jack Sparrow, and thereby conjures comparisons between RDJ and Johnny Depp.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

My favorite quip was: Shall I list your transgressions alphabetically or chronologically?

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited

I liked the slo-mo fights showing his cognitive processes for physically challenging circumstances. When I first saw them in the trailer, I thought they were just trying to blatantly modernize the character into some action figure with Matrix-style camera effects.

Also, THE LORD OF THE RINGS ON BLU-RAY.

Also, THE LORD OF THE RINGS ON BLU-RAY.

8D

The Princess Bride! One of the best fantasy movies EVAR. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

VIRGIL: YOU WIN A THOUSAND COOL POINTS AND ANOTHER PSYCHOTIC STALKER.

BUT I’LL BE THE BEST BECAUSE I’LL NOT ONLY WATCH YOU SLEEP< BUT STUDY YOUR EATING HABITS AND KEEP A DUPLICATE FRIDGE.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Why?

• CommentAuthorRocky

_Clash of the Titans_

Holy Cerberus, what a mess.

Exactly my thoughts. Butchering of every myth ever.

Couldn’t see it due to having stuff to do at New York as well as swearing off 3-D movies, so is it worse than the Percy Jackson movie?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Exactly my thoughts. Butchering of every myth ever.

Yeah, I did think there was something fishy about Io. Several somethings.

Just watched X-Men. Ah, traditional superhero films. So simple. So fun.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Couldn’t see it due to having stuff to do at New York as well as swearing off 3-D movies, so is it worse than the Percy Jackson movie?

Haven't seen that one, but I've heard that - believe it or not - Percy Jackson is flat out _better written_. There's nothing subtle, complex, or witty about this film in the slightest. The best non-CGI element was Mads Mikkelsen, who unfortunately has to deal with a heavily-cliched character. Not even considering the original, this just feels like it was slapped together and is capitalizing on the God of War frenzy. Compared to the original, however, it just gets worse. Perseus is now a brooding anti-hero, Hades is once again erroneously portrayed as the devil, Calibos is relegated to a ridiculous and shallow caricature of vengeance, Medusa is just one big bloody joke, and the whole movie is overflowing with this forced subtext about militant gnosticism (the complaint being that it was forced and spoon-fed to the audience every two minutes). Io was a pointless addition, as were the Djinn characters. To be frank, there was something about the overall film I found insulting, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's because I'm going through a Greek Mythology class right now.

And I can't, to this day, understand why Leterrier keeps getting picture deals; didn't see anything special about The Incredible Hulk, and it carries over here with full force.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

There wasn’t anything subtle, complex, or particularly witty about Percy Jackson, but it was funny, so I guess that’s one thing it had that Titans didn’t.

But I’m not getting worked up about it. Probably because I don’t take my films all that seriously. D:

Return of the King.

Now there’s a good movie.

8D
    Agreed. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010

My favorite quip was: Shall I list your transgressions alphabetically or chronologically?

This is why, Virgil, my love.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ah okay, and no.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

pats head

You don’t need to see me, my love. Our love can blossom over distance, as Bella’s and Edward’s. sighs happily

Come! Let us frolic in a meadow!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

D:

QUICK VIRGIL RUN

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010 edited

Don’t listen to Spanny.

For I shall run after you, blinded by your sparkling Adonis visage.

And that bothersome thing called love, of course

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Don’t listen to Spanny.

Oh no you didn’t.

YOU HAVE UNLEASHED THE RAGE OF THE SPANMAN.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

I DID.

AND I SHALL OBLITERATE YOU!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

You should probably back away right about now. Er. There’s a very large rodent around that corner, and he’s quite hungry and possibly rabid. Just a heads up. You won’t get away, but there’s no harm in dying prepared, right? Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

PREPARED.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Well, you know how rabid animals are. If the knives give you a little comfort in death, good.

I saw Moon this weekend, on the suggestions of numerous people here. So thanks, it was quite good.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

SET HIM LOOSE. FOR I WILL KILL HIM.

ROUSes! RUN!

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

crouches on blade

Pitiful fool.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. I saw Moon this weekend, on the suggestions of numerous people here. So thanks, it was quite good.

Yes, it was a really good movie. Rockwell did outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Spirited Away again.

I love that movie. <3

That was an awesome movie.

Watched the Ang Lee Sense and Sensibility.

Hugh Laurie as Mr. Palmer and the adorable Margaret Dashwood were undoubtedly the best parts of the entire movie.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited

...wtf? We’re watching that right now.

o.O

And we had Moulin Rouge! overlap too. Strange things are afoot here…

O.o

Weird.

I think we must be existing in parallel dimensions or something, except your parallel dimension gets better munchables.

Bwahahaha. Not tonight- just juice and some plain chocolate chips.

I watched How To Train Your Dragon in 3D yesterday. The film was awesome, and looked especially cool in 3D.

Why is every girl in my school obsessed with The Notebook? I don’t get it.

Why is every girl in my school obsessed with The Notebook? I don’t get it.

Because Nicholas Sparks understands the average female mind.

I spent the morning alternating between Where the Red Fern Grows and Stand and Deliver in class. The former is really tough to watch as an adult knowing some of the more nefarious nuances of the word “coon.” The latter… is actually pretty cool. The only gripe I have with it is that it sorta downplays those kids being advanced-course students to play up the triumph.

I remember watching Stand & Deliver in spanish a couple years ago. Edward James Olmos was awesome in it.

Agreed. He was tearing it up.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010

I saw the first half of the newest Emma by chance on TV today. So far it’s not as good as the Gwenyth Paltrow one, but it’s still quite good and terrifically fun. The costumes are infinitely better too. And I especially like Mr. Knightly and Emma’s arguments.

newest Emma

What is this?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010 edited

I know! It’s crazy. And Romola Garai is the title character, no less. It’s pretty crazy that they’re making it again so soon. There’s so little to add. Here you go)

I see. I really did like the Gwyneth Paltrow one, but I still need to read the book.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010

I’ve heard it’s disappointing. D:

The book? Really? That’s the first time I’ve ever heard that the movie is better than the original source.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010

I liked the book very much :)

Anybody ever see The Room? I’ve only seen a few clips, and it’s already making me go “O_o”. Seriously, look.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky

After How to Train Your Dragon, I’d rather do that than go to Hogwarts.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

BLASPHEMY.

So the dragon movie was good? It actually looked kind of cute.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

BLASPHEMY.

Agreed. At Hogwarts they have dragons, on top of everything else.

Also, the food appears to be delicious.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

In unlimited amounts. The flying brooms and magic and stuff is a plus, too. 8P

• CommentAuthorRocky

Keep your Hogwarts. It's the Jedi Academy for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky

At Hogwarts, you do have dragons…

BUT DO YOU HAVE NIGHT FURIES? You can cuddle them, then unleash unlimited carnage afterwards.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Saw Clash of the Titans today. The plot and characterisation were rather inadequate, and it wasn’t exactly faithful to Greek mythology, but the action scenes were quite good.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Has anybody seen The Runaways? It has both Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning in it.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

It’s the Jedi Academy for me.

Ditto. ^ ^

@ Puppet: No, I haven’t. Dakota Fanning looks as if she’ll do a great job.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

City of Ember. I wasn’t expecting much, but it was actually quite good considering a lot of important plot points went unexplained. And the costumes were WANT. Always a plus.

Watching Anastasia. Most historically inaccurate movie I’ve ever seen but I still love it.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010

Brazil is hilariously Orwellian.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Just finished watching How to Train Your Dragon and it’s hilarious. The parts I didn’t like was the kissing parts, I feel they’re overdone in the movie world.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the world had open captions for Hard of Hearing/Hearing Impaired/Deaf people?

@ No One: Try going to the movie customer service or whatever to ask if that’s possible. I’m sure they would be happy to accommodate you, especially if you’re paying for a ticket, right?

The last thing I watched was the Pianist. It’s a really good movie (and Adrien Brody’s kind of adorable. I like his nose. :D )

I cried. Even though I’d already seen it twice. I’m such a sap. Oh well.

Watching Anastasia.

That is probably my favorite Disney princess movie EVAR. :D

That is probably my favorite Disney princess movie EVAR. :D

It’s a Don Bluth movie, and it isn’t about a princess.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Road to El Dorado. I have mixed feelings about Dreamworks films, but this one is one of my favourites.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

it isn’t about a princess.

Well, it’s arguable whether or not she counts as one. But it also has In The Dark of the Night, so that makes up for any deficiency in the royalty department.

• CommentAuthorNo One

@SWQ: Haha, the only movie with captions for deaf people is Green Zone, and that’s about it. Usually movies have a note that lets people know whether there’s subtitles or not. T.T
    At least there’s some people that’s fighting for the right to have captions for Hard of Hearing in cinemas. Isn’t that great! I’m thinking of writing to my state’s premier about this issue.

Oh, that sucks. I guess you have to wait for the DVD in that case. :(

• CommentAuthorRocky

My local cheap theater is now playing _Avatar_, but I blew that off to see _The Wolfman_ again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Let me guess. It was better the second time.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010

In a way, yes. Absolutely love the cinematography and high-speed shots of the moon. Also liked how Sir John's fingers bled as he was playing the piano near the end, and the ramifications of him leaving the straight razor for Lawrence in the asylum.

Huh, should’ve specified; my favorite Disney-esque “princess” movie.

WHAT.

I watches Sherlock Holmes last night. I rather liked it. (Holmes and Watson are such a cute couple!)

And after I went upstairs and read A Study in Scarlet, because I haven’t got around to reading any of the books, even though they’ve been on my shelf for over a years. I read it in one sitting, and now I need to read the rest.

•  
      CommentAuthorKloof
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010

I just saw Diary of a Wimpy kid. Much to old for it, but my younger brother wanted to see it. it was actually very good. Funny too. I recommend seeing it, no matter how old you are. It's genuinely fun to watch.

I also saw Alice in Wonderland. Freaking awesome :]

Pan’s Labyrinth is ultra-cool, especially in the original Spanish.

^I need to see that movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

I started it, but only watched a bit of it. I need to finish that movie before Jeni kills me. >.>

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

So it’s not overrated? I’ve heard so much about it that I naturally assumed it was.

So it’s not overrated? I’ve heard so much about it that I naturally assumed it was.

I hadn’t heard anything about it; I just picked it up because my half-sister liked it. It did not disappoint.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Journey to the Center of the Earth. So cheesy. So good. My love for Brendan Fraser has been fortified.