Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I didn’t like Meaning of Life that much. The lead-in short was absolutely killer, but in the movie proper it seemed like they were just trying to be vulgar, instead of being funny.

Yeah, I agree. Some bits were hilarious, but a good deal of it was just over the top. The lead-in short was great. Marching Up and Down the Square was funny. I also liked the part with the guys dressed as the tiger. And the Penis song was good for a giggle.

However, Mr. Creosote and Live Organ Transplant were rather disturbing and mean spirited, and not at all like Monty Python.
    The rest of the movie was funny, but not up to Python standards.

Python is often crude, but not usually vulgar. Even with Life of Brian, it wasn’t vulgar or particuarly offensive. But Mr. Creosote…ugh. I sat through the rest of the movie without flinching, but that made me feel seriously ill.

Well, I think the distinction is whether or not the crassness is the goal, or just a side-effect. The good ones aim to be funny, and that humor is typically crass. Simply aiming to be crass doesn’t really produce genuine humor, though, at least IMO.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

Meaning of Life had some high points, but a lot of it was just gross. Some people appreciate gross humor, I don’t.

I’m not to much a fan of grossness, either.

But if I ever have kids, I’m SO teaching them about sex with the sex-ed bit.

Ok, I saw Avatar. It was not bad at all- the visuals were absolutely stunning, and the Na’vi were beautifully animated, especially the eyes. I liked that it wasn’t as rosy-pink as I expected it to be, but the plot was definitely Pocahontas flavored and I didn’t like the whole Jake-being-the-special-chosen-one shtick. I felt bad that Kocuom (that’s not his name in the movie, but he has the same basic function as Kocuom in Pocahontas, so that’s what I call him) who’s supposed to be the leader, gets upstaged by this outsider who can somehow magically tame the great beast that no one else can, and is therefore in charge, while Kocuom just kind of plays second fiddle while Jake runs around inspiring people who are supposed to be angry at them because they thought that he betrayed them. (Does that make any sense?) That just really irritated me for some reason.

All in all, I’d say it’s an B+.

Yeah, inspirational speeches kind of grate at me in general, but this time…I don’t know, I felt that even though Jake was in appearance deferring to Kocuom, Jake was really the one in charge the entire time.

You’d understand if you were a self-hating white person, SWQ.

Oh, right.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010

especially the eyes.

My favourite was the ears. :3 I loved that they weren’t static and moved with all facial expressions (not just the cat-hissy face they do).

(that’s not his name in the movie, but he has the same basic function as Kocuom in Pocahontas, so that’s what I call him)

XDDDDDD

I love you.

I also thought it was hilarious that Neytiri’s father and Kocoum had similar voices to their respective opposites in Pocahontas. It made me giggle inside.

That just really irritated me for some reason.

I kind of expect it with American films.

Ohhh, for once I’m not being jokey anti-American, it does feature heavily.

I also thought it was hilarious that Neytiri’s father and Kocoum had similar voices to their respective opposites in Pocahontas. It made me giggle inside.

I did not notice that, but then again, I haven’t seen Pocahontas in years. Although, when I came out of the theater, I found myself humming ‘Colors of the Wind’.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010

I did not notice that, but then again, I haven’t seen Pocahontas in years.

I saw it quite recently. :D

I found myself humming ‘Colors of the Wind’.

83 Avatar did need more songs.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010 edited

Race to Witch Mountain. So many lulz. Plus the kids are so adorable. ^^

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010

Ohh yeah, I love that movie!

finally!

But what irked me is that they didn’t show their real alien form… unless it was their alien form. (the kids, I mean)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m pretty sure it was.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Hmmm. I really like the alien boy, whatever his name was.

Those kids are cool!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Issokyoot

• CommentAuthorNo One

Oh yeah!! heheheh

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010 edited

Weirdos.

<<
    >>

• CommentAuthorNo One

Who you calling weirdos, eh, Puppy?

Just kidding. Yeah, I’m a freak/weirdo/crazy soccer (or sucker as my dad calls me) fan who’s such a heartless person that a racist classmate couldn’t upset in any way possible.

So yup. Bang on. And I’m a-ranting here. ‘Scuse me.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Puppet, come on. Even you aren’t immune to cuteness.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010

Cuteness, you say?

• CommentAuthorNo One

Aw, great pics!!

@Dan: did they naturally come to that position or did someone made them like that? But still, pretty cute!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I watched Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, it was amazing like all other Ghibli films. And I found the sea a nice change from the sky.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Dances with Wolves breaks my heart every time I see it.

cries

• CommentAuthorNo One

Ooh, Dances with Wolves sounds interesting. What’s it about?

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Dances with Wolves tells the story of a Union Soldier (American Civil War) who becomes stationed out on the western frontier, alone. It gives his account as he overcomes the obstacles of unshared language, racial tensions, and battles with the whites to become an honored member of the Sioux tribe nearby. Dances with Wolves becomes his Sioux name, hence the name of the movie.

^^It’s a terrible summary, but a great movie. I absolutely recommend it.

• CommentAuthorNo One

OK. I’ll look out for it in video stores. Thanks!

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

You can also watch the 3D sci-fi remake, directed by James Cameron.
    • CommentAuthorNo One

3-D is baffling, but cool.

Or you can watch the remake set in Japan, starring Tom Cruise.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

You can also watch the 3D sci-fi remake, directed by James Cameron.

Ho ho ho, I see what you did there.

http://www.multiplexcomic.com/archive.php?name=425

Ah, from the mouths of babes…

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I didn’t think the Disney dub was that bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

:D I wouldn’t know, I just like the general summation of Avatar. Fun. :3

Last thing I watched:

Life is Beautiful. I love that movie so much. Why? I don’t know, I just love it. I’ve seen it so many times I can tell what is going on, even though it’s in Italian. I should try watching with the subtitles off…

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010

_Avatar_ is now the second highest grossing film of all time. I'm literally sick to my stomach.

If it makes you feel any better, when they adjust for inflation it’s not even top ten.

And that also doesn’t account for how many screens it’s on, thousands as opposed to hundreds for older films.

• CommentAuthorRocky

It doesn't really. Cameron's already prepping for sequels.

Does this sequel include the alien girl journeying to earth and falling in love with some other guy, all the while showing that nefarious governor who is in charge?

Sequels as a whole make me sick. Have you heard they’re making Pirates 4? And that Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom won’t be returning? Why do they do this? To squeeze the last few pennies and respectability out of a franchise? Ugh.

Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom get points for saying “hell no” to this.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Most definitely.

I thought Pirates 3 was a mess and pretty much sucked all respectability out of that franchise.

The only good thing about Pirates 2 was the magnificent Giant Wheel of Doom, and Jack running from savages.

“We’re not leaving without him!”

“Nevermind, let’s go!”

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Pirates 1 has Barbossa, which is so full of Win its amazing the universe hasn’t split open.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited

I'm personally willing to give Pirates 4 a go, but I also don't have much info on it. What I know is that it will follow Jack and Barbossa, whereas the previous films primarily focused on Will and Lizzie. They have strong characters in both Jack and Barbossa, so if they can nail a _really_ good story in an episodic, Indiana Jones sort of style, I think it could do quite well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I’m willing to give it a go because those two aren’t in it.

I can’t stand their characters. We all know it’s about Jack Sparrow, let’s not pretend.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. I’m willing to give it a go _because_ those two aren’t in it.

bq. I can’t stand their characters. We all know it’s about Jack Sparrow, let’s not pretend.

This.

Yeah, that’s pretty much it.

I disagree with Jeni completely on Avatar, but agree with her 200% on Will and Elizabeth being nonessential. It’ll be a good sequel if they make it good, and it’ll suck if they make it suck. There’s little reason to suspect either, with what little information is available.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I saw Ladder 49. It’s a very moving movie. Very good.

The only good thing about Pirates 2 was the magnificent Giant Wheel of Doom, and Jack running from savages.

“We’re not leaving without him!”

“Nevermind, let’s go!”

Ahahahaha, that was my favourite scene in the movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I disagree with Jeni completely on Avatar, but agree with her 200% on Will and Elizabeth being nonessential.

I agree with both of those points.

Well. . . I think that if their actors won’t agree to it, it doesn’t bode well.

And it might be like Eric Foreman. He wasn’t anyone’s favorite character, but when he leaves the show goes to pieces.

I’m just not enthused.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I never bothered seeing Pirates 3. I only ever heard bad things about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010

...I liked Pirates 3. I won’t gush over it, but I thought it was definately entertaining.

Saw Chinatown. Jack Nicholson was awesome in it.

As for Pirates, I just like to pretend that only Curse of The Black Pearl happened.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Chinatown? Isn’t it about kung fu with that buddha hand man, fat smoker woman that can scream through a massive bell, and some Axe men?

No, it’s about some guy uncovering a murder/affair at a dam.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Oh. My bad. What was that kung fu movie called then? mutters and goes off the research

That’s Kung Fu Hustle.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Kun— Yeah that’s the one. Have you seen it? It’s hilarious!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I liked the bits of Pirates 2/3 involving Davy Jones. One of the most quotable characters in the franchise, and with the best theme song too.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I agree with both of those points.

Don’t make me slap you again. >:3

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Don’t make me slap you again. >:3

8D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I knew you’d enjoy it, you dirty boy.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

How dare you make these wild accusations!

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel

Pirates 1 = awesomes
    Pirates 2 = pretty good
    Pirates 3 = ehhh

This trends poorly for Pirates 4! I am sure I will still see it to watch more of Depp’s madcap antics.

If you liked Kung Fu Hustle you should look into Stephen Chow’s other stuff. Shaolin Soccer is probably the best-known and definitely among the best. :)

Actually, I found Pirates 2 worse than Pirates 3, but only marginally.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I think Pirates 3 crammed too much into it. All of the storylines came crashing into a finale that was entertaining but simply had too much going on.

@ Virgil: Exactly. Towards the end, I got completely lost. However, the cannibals part in Pirates 2 was pretty funny, I guess, but also pretty stupid.

Is anybody else wondering how, in The Matrix, the humans are anything approaching an effective power source? I mean, wouldn’t the energy required to keep them alive exceed whatever energy they put out?

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

Depends on what power source. I was thinking possibly geothermal, with them being so close to the core.

@Nomaic

Depends on what power source. I was thinking possibly geothermal, with them being so close to the core.

No, they are the power source. I’m not talking about Zion. I’m talking about the machines using them as living batteries. Which doesn’t make sense, because they’d get less energy out of them than what they put into them to begin with.

Their explanation is probably some quasi-intellectual hobnobbery about how the human batteries’ minds make it real, so they don’t need to feed them or keep them warm since they are fed and warmed within the Matrix or some other such ridiculous bullshit.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Which doesn’t make sense, because they’d get less energy out of them than what they put into them to begin with.

True, but the Matrix isn’t exactly hard sci fi. I see it as the metaphor they’re trying to get across, in that the machines need humans to survive as much as humans need machines. There are a lot of technological inconsistencies.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yes that was amoosing.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010

"It's official: Twilight is headed for the Razzies":http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b164994_razzie_noms_are_all_about_steve_sandra.html?utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_tv-movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010

Ohmygosh, Legally Blonde is on iplayer.

I LOVE THIS FILM.

^^ME TOO.

Just watched Fight Club. Very gory but interesting. In short, I liked it.

Just watched 3:10 to Yuma. Good movie. and Rusell Crowe is hot.

Movie trailer for Robin Hood is nothing short of really awesome.

As is Trailer 2 for Clash of the Titans.

Oh man, I loved 3:10 to Yuma.

I’m watching Spirited Away with some friends tonight. I love this movie. :3 One of my friends hasn’t even seen it yet, though. I think she’ll like it— she’s a big Disney fan.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010

bq. Just watched 3:10 to Yuma. Good movie. and Rusell Crowe is hot.

You should watch the original. Glenn Ford is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010

I’m watching Spirited Away with some friends tonight. I love this movie. :3 One of my friends hasn’t even seen it yet, though. I think she’ll like it— she’s a big Disney fan.

:D

Yeah, pretty much any of Hayao Miyazaki’s (I have no idea if I spelled that right) movies are good in my book. Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Kiki’s Delivery Service…. I haven’t seen Ponyo yet, but it looked adorable.

Oh! I’ve seen Kiki’s Delivery Service! I loved it when I was younger.

Sorry, for the excitement, but that’s the only one of those that I’ve seen. Though I have heard of Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro.

I have no idea if I spelled that right

You did indeed.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010

Kiki’s Delivery Service… oh the nostalgia. 8D

I can’t decide between Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away was amazing, but I think I liked the theme and story of Princess Mononoke more.
    As for Ponyo, it’s good like all his other films. The water is a nice change from the sky.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I think Mononoke had a better plot, better action sequences and better music. Ponyo was confusing at times, especially how none of the people seem bothered at all by the apocalyptic flooding.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

Oh! I’ve seen Kiki’s Delivery Service! I loved it when I was younger.

Both of these. I must have seen that movie at least twenty times as a kid. :D

I just watched The Painted Veil for the second time… It was so wonderful, though

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Oh and My Neighbor Totoro, I remember watching the Cat Bus scene from years ago. :D

Oh and My Neighbor Totoro, I remember watching the Cat Bus scene from years ago. :D

Yeah, I watched both of these tons of times as a kid. We had them on VHS, I think. XD

I can’t say which one I like more out of Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. (I only saw Princess Mononoke once in Japanese class a few years go, but I’ve seen Spirited Away a couple times at least.) They’re both great movies, though.

I’ve got to say Spirited Away all the way for me. Chihiro is the only character I’ve ever been able to relate to. (Maybe that’s because she’s scared and whiny and lazy in the beginning… :) ) The last time I watched it, my brother had to tell me to shut up because at every scene I was shouting, “That’s what I would do!”

Has anyone seen Nausicaa (spelling?) and the Valley of the Wind or Castle in the Sky? Those were good too.

My brother and I went on a Miyazaki kick a few years back.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Laputa: Castle in the Sky was good… I never really got into Nausicaa of the valley of the wind. :/

I finally got around to seeing Tokyo Godfathers, and it was really well done.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010

I just saw Avatar: The Last Airbender commercial… O.O

It looks… kinda awesome.

I did too. Here’s hoping M. Night doesn’t fuck it up by having Zuko actually be a sea monster and Aang be a robot or whatever other tweest he can come up with.

The commercial was pretty cool, though.

I’m still hesitant. It was a 90 episode show that I love. And I’m SURE Paku and Iaro probably won’t get enough screen time.