Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009

So I’ve been thinking. It’s not something I particularly enjoy doing at any time, much less in the summer, but sometimes I just do it by accident when I’ve had too much coffee or cocaine.

Sometimes, don’t you ever take a look at what we do and go, wow, this is kind of sad? I mean, the whole Inheritance/Twilight bashing. I mean sure, Eragon was tolerable-to-pretty good and since then the series has gone fairly severely downhill, but there are lots of books and films like that, and there are a lot worse books out there that are just as famous, I’m sure. I wouldn’t know because I don’t read crap.

And as for Twilight, I mean, come on. Did anyone really expect that to be good? At their best, vampire films are campy-yet-lovable romps, like Van Helsing or 30 Days of Night. I mean, if the words “vampire romance” trigger the words “literary excellence” in your head, there’s got to be something wrong with you — unless you’re a teenage girl. Which brings me to my next point about the two series: they hit their target audience.

When one looks at the people who attend midnight Eragon book releases, or are on the Shur’tugal forums, they are, for the most part, young teen males. Sure, there are your stragglers, but that is the primary demographic they’re trying to hit, and they hit it. Don’t even go there. Ew. Anyway, same with Twilight and teen girls. ...Don’t even go there. Ew.

In summation, what are we doing here? Here we are, mostly 17-22 year old educated, intelligent individuals, and yet we devote most of our time to bashing Twilight and Inheritance. Certainly, they are not good, and this community would not exist were there not many people dissatisfied with the popularity of poor literature and who possess an appreciation for good literature. But must we continue to spend our lives like this? Are we not more creative than this? We are Imps: devious, creative. We should be better than this.

— His Royal Majesty, Duke of Hazzard, Third Lord of West Eastington, Ser Reginald Timbleywick III Esquire

P.S. I just do it for the lulz.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

I don’t bash people, just crap work and crap ideas. Which is why I am a bastard.

A crap idea I love bashing is the particular need for people to go overkill with hypocritical criticism.

I don’t devote most of my time to bashing Inheritance and Twilight. This isn’t the only site I waste my time on.

There are other things we bash, too.

There are other things we do, too, like write, write about writing, and write about random nonsensical stuff.

No, I never expected Twilight to be good. Then again, I never expected Inheritance to be stellar literary quality, either.

For the lulz.

Speaking as a non-17-to-22-year-old, I agree with RT3. For the lulz. Entertainment. Not everything here is written by writers for writers. Some stuff is written by people for people.

It is going on a bit long, though.

EDIT: Yeah, after starting the fangirl roleplay forum, I can still say that.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Epic post, man. I got sick and tired and bored of this crap mebbe a couple of years ago. I’m just a groupie.

By which I mean, because all of my other fandoms are dead or have moved on, it’s a good place to hang out and talk to friends. Over every board the AS folk have moved onto.

• CommentAuthorLccorp2

Schadenfreude.

Or in layman’s terms, for the lulz.

Because there are no German laymen.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’m not actually much of an anti. I recognize problems in both series, of course, but I mostly hang out here because I like the company.

Maradonia sporks ftw!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I imagine that in July, the creative writing aspect of the site will become a bit more dominant.

You imagine wrongly.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Uhuh, sure he does.

Just saying, even if all the staff tries to promote creative writing it won’t really happen.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Your opinion has immense bearing on the inner workings of the universe. :)

It’s not so much an opinion as a predictive statement. Take a good whiff at the forums now. Now envision what happens even if you try to heavily promote creative writing.

Exactly.

•  
      CommentAuthorKitty

I like terrible things. Like terrible movies, or terrible video games, or terrible books…they bring me such delight.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

That explains a lot.

•  
      CommentAuthorKitty

Are you insinuating something?

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

I hate myself. /crai

I hate you too, so you’re not alone there.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Yeah but you hate everyone. I just hate me. And Jane Fonda.

in-b4-not-RT3-type-person-who-takes-me-seriously

I used to like Eragon (before I discovered the Star Wars thing), and I own all the Twilight books, but even though I think sporking is mean, to a certain extent, it’s… funny. It’s like driving by an accident – you can’t help but look. Except in this case, it’s like watching a five-car pileup of clown cars: they’re not meant to be on the road, and they’re silly, to boot.

And I’m not in the 17-22 demographic, so there you go. Actually, I’m the target audience.

• CommentAuthorAdam

Thanks so, so much for this thread. I’m here for the community as well, but it definitely irks me to see “Improve Eragon”, “Eragon moves to Rural Tennessee” and endless other Inheritance threads, and then it makes me sad to see threads like “The Merits of Eragon” sort of just descend into things like “it’s a good doorstop”. Sporking, though, I don’t have a problem with, unless it’s a completely unknown book. Then it’s just no fun.

Yeah. Eragon-bashing was fun back when I first joined Anti-Shurtugal two and a half years ago, and I’m inclined to stay away from Twilight as the few times I’ve had my chance to talk about it at college and such, I have a worrying expertise on the subject. It doesn’t help that neither Paolini or Meyers are going to release new material at any time soon.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Eh, we’re not cool rebels anymore, Dr. A, the fans have been converted, what’s left? Nitpicking the third Brick again?

Yes, I guess the bashing is getting old. It’ll die down…but mostly it’s really fun to just talk to the people here.

And there are some interesting things that I got from this site- Llcorp’s article on sexism in books really got me thinking, for instance. I’d like to see some of those good ol’ articles like that here again. And critique. I’m going to be writing over July, so maybe I’ll post then!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

I am getting tired of all this Eragon and Twilight stuff, it’s not like Paolini is going to listen to us. I think we should help people improve their writing so in the future there won’t be any Pao-Pao 2.0s.

Like I said, there are some good articles on the main page. If we can continue to discuss big pitfalls for beginning writers, that would be great for many people.

Yeah, you all say you get tired of this crap and then when Paolini yawns in public you’ll come right posting things obsessively about him. Ya’ll like Republicans and their attitude to Obama. Not that he doesn’t suck, but still, stfu already.

secretly a Democrat Umm…

Democrats are just as annoying.

Can we not start bashing Republicans and Democrats here? kthanks.

Not bashing just the truth. Guess this analogy is more suited to you school chums: you’re like that douchey kid who talks about tolerance and equality and how unfair it is to be stereotyped, then you go right ahead and stereotype jocks, nerds, goths, emos, etc, without ever being consciously aware of it.

I well understand the hypocrisy you described, and I’m not saying that one party, Republican or Democrat, is right about everything. I’m just saying that I’d rather this thread didn’t descend into flaming each other about politics, and I’m probably not the only one.

I’m not bashing either. I’m just stating the plain and simple truth: members of both parties are bloody annoying.

Well, if a thread descends into a flame war let it become a flame zone. By closing it down or silencing the flames you only spread it to other threads because every person always wants the last word.

Common sense is not so common ftl.

Right, so now that that’s sorted out…

People get really mad at me when I bash Twilight, and say things like: “well, if you don’t like them, why do you talk about them?” I usually spit back an insult, but, I understand why people might be getting tired of the bashing.

• CommentAuthorMrHyde
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009 edited

Hello? Excuse me? Why exactly was this thread closed without even a closing message? I’m seriously not okay with that. I’m reopening and unsinking. If people don’t want to talk about this, then they can not post here, ignore the thread, or post a message when you reclose and sink it.

kk thanks

edited to counteract effects of sinking i.e., one bump for justice.

FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Ahem. Any-who, I enjoy about all that there is on this site, and use it the same way I would a writing workshop. The sporkings and bashings, respectivly, show me what not to do, as well as confirm when something that bugged me in the text.

BUT its the lighthearted and whimsical tone of this site, as well as all the great people on it, that keeps me coming back for more.

So, um, thanks? And keep posting more! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

Heh, just go for non-inflammatory, OLD. ;)

Besides, I like that II has moved the old movement away from the sole Inheritance and Twilight bashing. Yes, I’m sick of it, which is why I’m glad that we do more than that. ^^

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

I haven’t even considered the Twilight-pointing-out-of-errors stuff annoying (speaking for myself) because it’s very downright, knee-slappin’ clever at times. Like the EWWs. But I’m also loving the articles that people have published about writing (like the latest Sexism one, I like it) because believe it or not, every time I read it, I get a whole new brain blast. Or at least perspective.

The main thing that I like about this site is the fact that it incorporates both elements of This is the Bad Stuff and Here’s What You Do to Be Good Stuff. Because you’ve gotta have both sides of the coin. No dark without light. That sort of thing. And we all need a little humor.

(And yes, I’m still in the mood of the Life Lessons thread).

I actually got an interesting plot thingy from the sexism article, so thanks for that, Llcorp.

• CommentAuthorLccorp2

Next up: On telepathic companions.

Like Saphira? Or daemon from His Dark Materials?

Cool. I look forward to reading.

• CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

It’s okay, only an imbecile would think my post was about politics. My post was simply saying both groups suck because of their hypocrisy.

Dude, let it go. :D

Okay, since letting things go is what people do best, I shall.

•  
      CommentAuthorOverlordDan
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited

Right, because we’re people. Right. *Shifty Eyes* People

EDIT: I’m tired, and I don’t know what I’m doing. Please excuse me :D

I haven’t slept in 38 hours. No excuses for you.

Yes, but we mortals are acustomed to sleep, not like you and the great Sly.

Don’t smite me, sire! I know not what I do D:

:D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Eh, you’ll get used to all-nighters and more when you reach uni, OLD. Every student does it, it’s hardly a big thing.

haha yes, I actually do sometimes stop and think “wow, this is pathetic”, but then I remember how much fun it is to laugh at somebody elses expenses and how much fun this community is, and the tiniest bits of propriety, sanity and common sense I had left scurry away in panic XD

@Jenio – all – nighters FTW. I honestly cannot imagine my life without them. especially since I am about to pull one today (curse you, business and corporate law!)

Eh, you’ll get used to all-nighters and more when you reach uni, OLD. Every student does it, it’s hardly a big thing.

All-nighters are not fun. I can’t see myself getting used to them after that near-traumatic event a month or so ago when I pulled an all-nighter after 10 straight hours of work for two big projects that needed to be handed in for a very final deadline. Worst nighto f my life. And the glue left marks on my table that I can’t wash off.

The funny thing is I am pulling all-nighters in summer break. Always slept properly during school, but when I am studying on my own I overdo it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

All-nighters are not fun. I can’t see myself getting used to them after that near-traumatic event a month or so ago when I pulled an all-nighter after 10 straight hours of work for two big projects that needed to be handed in for a very final deadline. Worst nighto f my life. And the glue left marks on my table that I can’t wash off.

XD You still complaining about that? ;)

You do get used to them. :/ You start needing coffee less as you can learn to control your tiredness. You realise that maybe you’re doing it because you need the pressure to finish your personal deadline. Well, that’s me. I eventually gave up fighting it in third year, and just accepted that every essay was going to be written the night before. I just started ensuring I did the bestest preparation I could possibly do, because that’s what matters.

The funny thing is I am pulling all-nighters in summer break. Always slept properly during school, but when I am studying on my own I overdo it.

I would do all-nighters like that because all kinds of stupid people live in the wrong time zone, and I have to stay up late to talk to them. OH ELANOR. :P I play hard and work moderately hard. >:D

• CommentAuthorMrHyde

This one doesn’t. At least not for school. Once in a while hanging out with friends, or to experiment with sleep schedules. But not just because it’s uni.

@Jenio – all – nighters FTW. I honestly cannot imagine my life without them. especially since I am about to pull one today (curse you, business and corporate law!)

FTL. You’re crazy.

All-nighters are not fun.

Sane people FTW.

I don’t know what I’m going to do in college. I need sleep or else I don’t function.

you will figure something out:)

for example, after entering college I very soon realized that I can function for 36 straight hours on nothing but large doses of caffeine accompanied by heavy smoking:P

Then do your work during the day so you don’t have to lose sleep over it.

Duh.

I find my reasoning skills goes up by 10 notches when I’m exhausted.

same here. also, when the sun sets, my focus just skyrockets. I have no idea why:P

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

You’re a Vampire!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Because you are an owl.

No, vampire. Your concentration must waver during the day because your sparkliness is just that distracting.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

What about vampire/owls? Vampowls?

Owls with fangs!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

That suck blood!

Sparkling optional.

• CommentAuthorGolcondio

I’m definitely a skylark: no cogitation happens after 23, unless fuelled by stimulating substances/people.
    I’ve never done a one-nighter, especially not for uni…

OMG!!!! THIS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!!!! thank you guys, you helped me realize I lived a lie up until now. who am I kidding? I AM A VAMPIRIC OWL FEAR MY FLUFFY WRATH!!!!...with claws:P

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Falcon Empress by day, Vampire Owl by night…

I still think it should be “owlpire”.

Slightly serious though, quick survey: what time of day were you born and what time of day do you feel the most energetic? (I’m betting there’s a correlation)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Just after lunch, for both. But the food might have something to do with it.

I was born just before midnight. I’m definitely not really energetic at that time.

Just after lunch, for both. But the food might have something to do with it.

In either case I assume.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

2am-ish.

Around 3 pm, though late night's when I'm the most active.
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I have no idea. I’m always doing work at the last moment, though. Usually at approximately two in the morning.

@Jeni—MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. FEAR MY TIME ZONELY WRATH.

I was born on a wednesday afternoon, around 3pm which does not at all correspond with the daily (or nightly) routine of this creature highly confused on the issue of her own species (haha, “owlpire” sounds great XD)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited

I think I was born around 11.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I was born in the morning, but I’m certainly not a morning person. Maybe it works inversely?

Around 8 PM, which is when I am most awake, strangely. I sleepwalk through school, stay after school in a blind stupor, then crash at home for some sleep-homeworking before waking up in time to go to bed.

Hmmm… that sounds familiar

That is scary close-to-truth. Especially the second panel.

Love Calvin and Hobbes.

If you don’t, you’re not human.

(seriously, I think Kirk used it to find an alien infiltrator in season 4 of star trek)

I was born around 4:30, but I’m most alert around 20-22:00…

I seriously doubt there is any correlation between our time of birth and our sleeping pattern.

Yeah, ditto.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

Guh, we’re in the middle of a scientific breakthrough here, Dr. A. Don’t interrupt.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

He is the doctor. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

But is his doctorate relevent?

It’s probably in something stupid. Like contemporary pygmy rhino studies.

Or Art History. Or Gender Studies. Or Latin.

I have a doctorate in bullshittery and I can safely say this is ill-executed bullshittery.

Well-executed bullshittery would involve a long thesis, a couple incomprehensible graphs and doodled penises in the margin.

Don’t forget to add very stupid math that has no correlation to real math, like many pop-economists do.

I don’t have a doctorate, but I multi-classed in Mary Suedom. :)

Bow before me, you mere mortals, before I unleash the power of Sue!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Now as you can clearly see in Fig. 1, the correlation effect in several different experimental groups supports the initial hypothesis. This, in conjunction with the Seventh Kleiner-Marte Theorem of Melodramatics, implies the connection between the original general case and the secondary conceptual marker is indeed provable and proven.

Fig 1:

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Why are men attracted to lesbians anyway? I never got that.