Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorAri
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009

So yeah…I just flew from Shanghai to America yesterday, and the day before my friend returned my copy of Eragon to me (I told her that if she wanted to flame it with me she should at least try to read it). Out of boredom, I reread it on the plane…and yes, there are so many pretentious words/innuendo/strange descriptions in there that made me laugh.

But, I found, there’s also some good stuff in there. Like, once in a while, I’ll come across a description or something that’s actually….really good. Like one description about a thunderhead. It was, I’ll admit, totally unneeded, but he wrote it in a lovely way, actually. I was suprised. Yes, there’s a load of purple prose (I needed a dictionary at one point), and strange dialogue, and all that, but under all the crap I suspect Paolini had the potential to be a good writer. I think it’s sad; if he hadn’t been picked up by Carl Hiassen and had instead just kept writing, I think he would be a talented author, you know?

Too bad. For everyone. But there are still some merits of Inheritance (mostly Eragon; Eldest and Brisingr are terrible) and I thought we could discuss them?

There's only one more book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

And Eragon's Guide to Alagiesia. :P
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Um, you mean the one where he described the thunderhead as a cathedral?

It’s better than The Eye of Argon.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

That’s… something.

Look, I tried.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

At least the cliched and boring story it stole was a good cliched and boring story.

Come to think of it, The Eye of Argon actually had an original plot…

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

I have nothing to be apologetic about because I never engaged in baseless character assaults so ha in your face you apologist.

What the Mrifk?

Well, it's given me some hope. When I feel my writing is lousy, I can say to myself:
    "Well, at least I didn't write Eragon....."
    I did and still do like Eragon. Flame me as you will.

No, people here will only flame Inheritance fans, not people who like the book, so lol.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

It’s okay, Steph. I’m a crazed Murtagh fangirl, and Angela is mildly amusing too.

Wow, we are so alike! Let's go shopping for some 'vampires? we have dragons' tshirts and squee about Murtagh!!!
    Aw, CB ruined my day.

You didn’t have to wait for me. You too can ruin your own day if you just tried hard enough.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

OMGAWDS YES STEPH!

@ CB: You sound like an infomercial: And now, you, too, can pick your very own nose!

@Diamonte: Let's start the squeeing now- OMIGOSH I LUVLUVLUV MURTAGH!!!

In a way all my posts are as informational as infomercials.

When they aren't supremely useless.

Useless if you don’t question them.

Aaaand... useless if you do.

Useless to everyone apart from that 5% of the general population so yes.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Eragon was the most entertaining of the series, so what have you.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

It wasn’t only the most entertaining, but by far the most engaging. And from what I remember, CP spent less time describing long events in great detail (unlike the Agaeti Blodhren [ok I spelled it wrong, who cares], dwarf politics, long elfish thought processes, etc.). It was like, so much more happened in Eragon, in less words. Besides, Murtagh was great. ^^

You didn’t actually spell it wrong. Well, you left out the umlauts, but putting them in was a mistake on Paolini’s part.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Oh hey, cool. That means I actually paid attention even on the boring parts. It doesn't feel like too much of an accomplishment.
    • CommentAuthorJinx
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

I must not have been paying attention, what are the Agaeti Blodhren?
    The Agaeti Blodhren is a magical festival of squee that is too strong for humans to stand. As you do.

I liked the detail. Hey, come on, I never read actively. I just read and see what happens. If you do it that way you can put up with a surprising amount of stuff.

Actually Steph I don’t “read actively” either, it’s the Fridge Logic that gets me later. I mean I got through Eragon and thought it was… ok. Then when a friend asked me what it was about and I started compiling a summary I realized… it was the plot of star wars.

That and the story just left me cold and empty, that there was no difference in me before I started and when I ended. And I’ve read genre work that blew my paradigm. Part of this fault is Paolini’s failure to reinforce anything. There’s no evidence that the king is evil, that Eragon’s family was poor, that the rebels might really lose, etc. Heck, the very presence of a butcher shop undercuts the idea that this is a primitive world.

Oh wait, positive things.

Um…

The softback edition was well put together. Nice cover, font size, etc.

Lol, whereas Fridge Logic for this would never hit me, because I haven’t seen Star Wars yet.

No. Comment.

Well that’s it Steph, we’ll have to break up.

You haven’t seen Star Wars? Have you been living under a rock for the past 32 years your entire life?

NO, Nate! Don’t leave me!

And yeah, Dan, you better change it. Cause I’m only about half of 32, so…

I just haven’t gotten around to it, okay?

That crossing-out was premeditated. I didn’t change anything.

Lol. Wait. I just realised something. Since when were Nate and I going out? Have I missed something here? WHY DIDN’T HE GET DOWN ON ONE KNEE WITH ROSES AND CHOCOLATES AND ASK ME OUT!!!????

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I stole them, I’m afraid. I refuse to tell you who actually got them.

<<
    >>

Shhhh.

Eragon was a pretty good What Not to Do guide, though. Also it provided me hours of enjoyment, going through it and writing up snarky comments.

It was you, wasn’t it?

Fine, Nate. It’s over! O-V-A-H!

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

proffers roses and chocolate

STEPH

JENI WISHES TO MARRY YOU for your avatar

cackles in her corner

I don’t want your cheap second-hand roses. You can go marry Jeni yourself.

(besides which, Jeni is a girl, and that would be weird.)

[checks edward’s guide to relationships]

Forget it Steph, I wouldn’t come back to you unless [reads] you throw yourself off a cliff.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Anyways….

I thought that one of the merits of Eragon was Paolini’s enthusiasm. While it may not be a good book, in Eragon you can see that Chris is genuinely excited and passionate about the story. In Eldest [and perhaps Brisingr, I haven’t read that one yet], I thought that was lacking and he was grasping at straws to make his story look good.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Eragon was also fairly well paced. The characters weren’t great (though I was actually a fan of Brom) and Paolini would drop in purple description at inappropriate time, but the plot always kept moving and maintained high energy throughout. In fact, you might even argue that it was too fast paced, forcing Eragon to learn things impossibly quickly (reading in two weeks; swordplay in a few months). Of course, Eldest and Brisingr had the opposite problem.

I enjoyed the subtle(ish) feeling that Durza was working on his own plans. Then nothing came of it. Then I was sad :_(

:D

• CommentAuthorMegaB

You know, I think the best thing Paolini has done so far is the relationship between Saphira and Eragon. It’s one of the few original points of the story that doesn’t get boring no matter how many times you read it and you can really see that their relationship as dragon and rider has come a long way.

It’s in discussions like these that I really miss Addie. She and I could have struck up some really good arguments…

Actually Steph I don’t “read actively” either, it’s the Fridge Logic that gets me later. I mean I got through Eragon and thought it was… ok. Then when a friend asked me what it was about and I started compiling a summary I realized… it was the plot of star wars.

That’s actually exactly why I lost my faith in it. CP used to be my idol. I used to look up to him as a paragon of underage authorship. I wanted to write as well as him, and publish earlier. And then I watched Star Wars for the first time in years, and I realized that it was that plot. And I felt betrayed, because I know I draw on lots of stuff for my work, but never to that extent. I try always to be original, which is hard, but at least its legal.

As to good points… I think the most original thing CP has ever done was the concept of Elva. Eragon made a mistake, and he ruined an innocent baby’s life because of it. Granted, it has proved useful, like in the assassination attempt on Nasuada, but Elva is extremely conflicted about it. It was one of the only things I liked about Eldest.

• CommentAuthorJinx

@SMARTALIENQT- Really? Elva reminded me of the Abomination from Dune, I can't quite remember her name right now.

I can't quite seem to think of any good points right now, except for maybe Murtagh
    I'm pretty sure Elva reminded everyone of Alia.

As far as my thoughts on that particular thing, it probably would have been a lot better if was tied into some actual conflict outside of just a sketchy morality question which isn't even that amazingly well presented.

@Jinx

Saint Alia-of-the-Knife

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

My thoughts on the IC’s writing:

Eragon was the best, I think. There was loads of purple prose and serious characterization/plot problems, but it was very natural. It sounded natural, because I don’t think CP was trying to write well, he was just writing. In Eldest, you could tell he was trying... and so the writing was really weirdly a cross between way too formal and fairly awful. In Brisingr, his writing improved a lot more (it was more natural again, although still suffering from thesaurusitis and over-formality), but nothing happened. The problem with Eldest was that he was trying to hard. Instead of just writing naturally, he was trying to make it sound very good. And trying to make it be awesome almost invariably means you’re going to miss the mark.

Yes, Murtagh is awesome and needs more screentime (pagetime?). Angela is pretty cool too, because she at least is natural.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Murtagh. I actually really liked him.

I think one way Eragon could have improved was if it felt like a actual war against the Varden, like cities burned and lots of land destroyed and just a sense of fear in the land.
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Show us why Galbatorix is so evil. The most we get is that he has Ruthless Tax Collectors. The other stuff is just told to us, and usually from a very biased perspective.

Ironic because the movie tried to show more of Galbatorix’s badness with conscripting from villages.

Of course, even that flopped when you realized that he wouldn’t need to conscript anyone if he wasn’t fighting rebels in the first place.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Possibly the greatest merit of Eragon: in a pinch, the book can be used as a deadly weapon.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Eldest would be even better.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Brisngir, would be by far the best. Plus in little more then 200 or so days the deluxe edition comes out.

We need to Kitty to draw a “merits of the Inheritance cycle” picture.

It shows a guy wielding a chain with brisinger on one end and eldest on the other.

“Fear my book-fu”

Person cowering in fear: “No! Not the books! Anything but that!”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009 edited

ERAGON NUNCHUKS!

LIKE THIS

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

*holds up Twilight*

COWER BEFORE MY SPARKLE, MORTAL

“Ok inheritance, you must roll a d20 for dazzle saving.”

I wonder: could Bella have a weighted die that she rolls her death saves on? Because between cliff-jumping and vampire battles…

She has the feat: “Mary sue-ness.” Add +19 to any saving roll.

@SMARTALIENQT

>“No! Not the books! bricks! Anything but that!”

Fixed.

Inheritance has merits?

As weapons we’ve determined.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

Also as doorstops.

And they do make quite good makeshift steps and seats.

They’re also great to hide your guns in.

Or anything else you need to keep hidden. What robbers would risk looking inside?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

• CommentAuthorAri

Nice to see this has been such a productive conversation…

• CommentAuthorAdam

I guess it’s sort of mostly left-handed compliments now. Which I was…sort of expecting.

Why Eragon is good, off the top of my head:
    -It introduces and excites little kids about reading and the fantasy genre.
    -It inspires little kids to try their hand at writing, too, since most people think Paolini is an example of how success can be found anywhere (I know this isn’t true, but most people don’t. That’s what’s important.)
    -It’s an excellent book to read on a plane when you’re bored. Or…to read anywhere when you’re bored. It’s quite a light story (despite people getting ravaged by the Ra’zac and such) and is very easy to understand.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009 edited

I used Brisingir as a flat surface for my mouse pad. :P
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Eragon inspired the Anti-Shurtugal community. For that I am genuinely grateful.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Actually I am glad that Eragon came out, it drove me to improve my writing, and plus as Sly said, there might not have been ImpishIdea without Eragon. :P
    haha, have to agree with SlyShy on that one:) I met a lot of wonderful people in the anti community:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Oh, yeah. I've met so many lovely people as a result of Eragon being published. For that I am very grateful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Like ME!

cough

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Quite.

*glomps happily*

-It inspires little kids to try their hand at writing, too, since most people think Paolini is an example of how success can be found anywhere (I know this isn’t true, but most people don’t. That’s what’s important.)

True for me! TP got me into reading, but CP got me into writing!

(And comparing Tamora Pierce to Christopher Paolini is like comparing silken napkins with fine lace edges to paper towels. self-flagellates for heresy)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

Heresy? You need fire for that.

• CommentAuthorAri
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

*hands over fire*

There you go.

Eragon made me laugh, if nothing else. The innuendo was great.
    the purple prose makes it even more unintentionally hilarious, doesnt it?
    • CommentAuthorAri
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

Definitely.