Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009 edited

George R. R. Martin is not your bitch

Thank you, Mr. Gaiman. You have basically summed up what I dislike about certain parts of fandoms.

Posted because I thought a lot of people had read it already, but, apparently not everyone. So— enlightenment! Whoo!

I love Neil Gaiman, didn’t know he had a blog.

[claps] That was good. :)

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

Yes he is.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

Hear, hear!

No he aint.

• CommentTimeJun 13th 2009

Workahol intoxication and having a life are contradictory.

I've never gotten why people do this. Or even think there's a point in sending that email. It's really nothing to do with them, and to say that he's shirking his responsibilities... He doesn't HAVE to finish the series. Sure it'll make people mad if he doesn't finish it, but that's about the extent of the damage.

(to people who haven't read GRRM- you can still understand this anyway. I did.)
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

It does make me feel a little sad inside every time he talks about football when he could be writing, but yeah. It’s his business.

I think the last thing any creator wants – whether a writer, movie maker, game designer and so on – is angry fanmail whining for the next product, because obviously the world revolves around them and they want this, so “give it to me noooooow” they cry wankaciously. And all it does is spite the creator.

Call me crazy but that’s the first thing I would want.

Fans asking for more is a good thing, yeah, but fans obsessively bugging the creator for more isn’t. There’s a difference between the fan who eagerly awaits the next installment and the fan who types up angry letters demanding to know why they have to wait so long.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I'd rather wait a year for a good book that I can re-read, then a week for a book that's sloppy, boring and I wouldn't even finish.

I’d just ignore the stupidity of those letters and be happy that it’s so good it turns my fanbase into drooling idiots with sheer expectation.

You sound like Stephenie Meyer after she managed to take over the world…

...lol, someone spelt my name StephEnie the other day. I was so irrationally mad…

You wouldn’t believe the number of people who spell mine “Ayden”. Gah. I’m not a girl.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

Aidan’s a lovely name. ^^ And no I am not thinking of book characters as I say it, what are you talking about.

Actually, it’s spelled Eighdanne. JOKING

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

And yes, yes he does die. Why do you ask?

I’ve never even seen it spelled Aydan before.

Aidenne?

Here's something to help quench your ASOIAF thirsts:

Nice.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Yeah and they’re being handled by the same developer who did Pro Cycling Manager. The series is in good hands, folks.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

No TBSRPG, then?

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

I think TBS mostly does sitcom reruns and 90s action films/romantic comedies.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

...Pro Cycling Manager?

Oh, sweet merciful Jesus. Well, to be fair, they're also making Blood Bowl and they made two insanely obscure games, Loki and Dungeon Party. It might be decent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Yeah of their two games that even touch the genre, one is a hybrid fantasy/sports game. FANTASY/SPORTS.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

On the other hand, that's so incredibly crazy awesome that they might have a chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

What on Earth is a fantasy/sports game?! Mario Kart?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

Pangya: Golf With Style?

omg fantasy sports. that sounds like so much win.

"You thought you could cheat? Have some of my petrifying spell, mothafuckaaa!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

I think it’s like, a made up sport. only with like, orcs and shit. Basically it’s Quidditch with the Uruk-Hai.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

That… would be pretty awesome, actually! Orcs on broomsticks!

Oh, BloodBowl, it is quite silly.

Its American Football, except the teams are made out of zombies or lizardmen or crazy naked dwarves.

Its American Football, except the crowd will rush the field and murder anyone within reach if the game is getting too boring.

Its American Football, except the ball is made of spikes, and sports equipment means a helmet and an axe.

Its pretty fun :D

• CommentAuthorMorvius

Ah...well CDProjekt came out of nowhere and made the excellent Witcher game so...hopefully it will be good. Fantasy sport? It's more like Quidditch with Uruk Hai and Mount Doom in the background.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Quidditch without brooms, played by bloodthirsty representatives from stock fantasy races.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Its American Football, except the teams are made out of zombies or lizardmen or crazy naked dwarves.

Its American Football, except the crowd will rush the field and murder anyone within reach if the game is getting too boring.

Its American Football, except the ball is made of spikes, and sports equipment means a helmet and an axe.

So in other words, it’s American Football.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

Oh, GOODY, fans, another article from a writer telling you to stop it.

http://jamesmoran.blogspot.com/2009/07/stepping-back.html

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Those ‘criticisms’ are completely unfounded anyway…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Still doesn’t stop the fandom believing they can and should dictate the direction of a show.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Oh dear god. headdesk Yes, yes, you don’t like Ianto dying—who did, really? And sure, write letters to the writer about how you didn’t like it—but don’t make it bloody personal. It’s certainly not your place, and it’s extremely rude.

kerthwack

Fuck you I just started watching that show

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

That. Was. Awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I have it on repeat.. its great.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009

XD nice.

Tell it high and low!~

I read 400 pages of A Game of Thrones and loled at the “This is not this chil’s father!” Judge Hatchett moment….. Then skipped to the end to watch people die. Then picked up the next book and skimmed. Then didn’t pick up A Storm of Swords at all. Then bought A Feast of Crows at a library book sale and only read the Lannister chapters with full attention.

The writing is good and I can appreciate the lack of remorse towards main characters…. But nope. I can’t really say that I can like a book series with 800 pages a book and no goal conclusions at the end. My eyes glazed and I’m not hyped enough to even try to make him my bitch.

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

Considering the scale of George RR Martin's series...it's no wonder he is having trouble. Apparently he is trying to unravel a certain Mereenese knot. But as long as the quality is there, I'm not complaining.

True, A Song of Ice and Fire is special in the sense that...there is no clear ultimate goal (Okay, maybe there is the invasion of the Cold Ones and Daenerys reclaiming Westeros) like most books (Overthrow the Evil Darklord, Save the World). But the main thing that draws you is the characters. Each and every character has their story, and you grow attached to them as the story progresses. This makes you want to read more. And it is also more realistic in that sense. It doesn't feel as though the world revolves around one person (normally the hero/protagonist).