Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Oh, I never read The Other Wind. I stopped at Tehanu.

So, I just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray and it was wonderful. I loved it for the things it had to say about mortality and the fun it poked at Victorian English society. I wish Oscar Wilde had written more novels…

I wish Oscar Wilde had written more novels…

That’s exactly what I said when I finished Dorian Gray.

Right now, I’m reading Victorian London: The Tale of a City 1840-1870. It’s interesting, even though people around me are dumbfounded as to why I would want to read it.

I read about two thirds of Weetzie Bat. It was strange and not particuarly well written, but I wanted to finish it, darn it! (I was at a friends, and I couldn’t borrow it coz it was a library book)

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited

I’m reading The Animorphs #38.

Indulging my inner child….

I’m also actively reading The Invisible Man, as well as flipping through my poetry book (from Caedmon’s Hymn to gritty 90s free verse).

It’s actually interesting to notice how poorly-written the Animorphs series actually is. “My name is Ax, and I am an Andlite. My best friend is Toby. He is a hawk because he got stuck in morph. He understands me, and that is why he is my true shoom. I like beans. BEEEAAAANZZZ. ZUH. Zuh. Bean-zuh. And Cinnabon. Talking with a human mouth is weird. Humans are weird”[1].

1 Okay, so it’s not quite that bad, but it is very… elementary. Not in an “author writing down to kids” way, but in a “student writing for a school assignment” way. Sure, it’s not quite as bad as “O NO IT ARE A YERK!!!1!”, but it still gets a bit grating.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited

I finished Brave New World, which was great. It was such a horrible future for mankind, such an awful world. I found it fascinating. The worst part is that it seems so possible.

And I also started Three Bags Full which is a murder mystery with lots of sheep involved. :D

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010

@ Taku: I used to read Animorphs when I was in year…3? I thought they were very cool. My other best friends were OBSESSED with them. She actually came up to someone and said: I’m an Animorph! Oh, the laughter…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited

@ No One: In my circle of friends, when that was said it was taken expressly and only as an instigation to a hearty round of Make Believe. Except for one time (different group of friends), when I tried to start a philosophical discussion about the origins of religion and the nature of faith (I was a bright boy. Bright, but disturbingly… odd [I would say ‘queer’, but that word has a different meaning now].) They, for some stupid reason, thought I was making a serious statement when I said “I am the father of God”, and so I was plagued for upwards of three years with relentless teasing and the nickname “Zeus”.

</bitter>

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010

It’s actually interesting to notice how poorly-written the Animorphs series actually is.

And yet, it’s better than anything that’s been dunked in a vat of purple. The writing style is enough to keep one gripped and entertained. You don’t need fancy descriptions of the environment, that would just be awkward in fast-paced scenes. And remember, it’s written in a certain style for the 8-12 group. Rough, ready, but gets the job done in a stonking fantastic way.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

I just finished Unwind by Neal Shusterman, and I was pleasantly surprised. There were a few too many “oh ho what a coincidence!” moments but overall I thought it was good.

I’ve finally gotten around to picing up His Majesty’s Dragon and I like it lots so far. :D The beginning was slightly Eragon-esque (the plot, not the writing) but within a chapter, it got better. :D

A month or two ago, I read The Lies of Locke Lamora. Awesome book, highly recommend it. (I in fact just got one of my friends to read it, and she loved it.) Think elaborate con schemes and extremely loveable characters-- but in a fantasy counterpart pseudo-Venice. Yeah. Awesome.

Since then... let's see... I've read Ender's Game, which was pretty good. Monstrous Regiment, by Terry Pratchett, who I always enjoy even though this one was a little preachy. And... I'm working my way through Pride and Prejudice and Zombies right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited

Now that you’ve read Lies, you need to read the sequel, Red Seas Under Red Skies. It has pirates.

I have. I liked it more than the first book, I must say. I am also looking forward to Republic of Thieves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

I just checked Lynch’s site, and the prologue for Republic is up (finally). Granted, I don’t check his site that often…

That sounds awesome!

Reading Macbeth for English…

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

D’awww. I’m a bit late to the LeGuin conversation, but Compass Rose is a nice short story anthology of her’s. It has a lot of her lesser known stories, which I take to be a plus (others may not).

Macbeth was good. I did it for Lit last year.

Am reading the Gossip Girl books, because I stopped at the second one years ago. I don’t know why I’m bothering. It’s so pretentious and bleh.

May content myself with Mansfield Park. That was a good book.

I love how you describe Gossip Girl as pretentious, when Mansfield Park is mentioned a sentence later. XD

Did you find MP pretentious, then?

No, I haven’t read it. It’s just rather funny that the Austen book, which is considered classic lit, is not pretentious when Gossip Girl, which is written to pander to the lowest common denominator (or so I’ve heard), is.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010

Have any of you read “A Rose for the Anzac boys” by Jackie French? It’s a feminist novel about World War 1 seen through the eyes of 3 young women…

It’s actually very interesting. I’m 3/4 way through.

I finished Dearly Devoted Dexter and The Lightning Thief over the weekend.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010 edited

No, I haven’t read it. It’s just rather funny that the Austen book, which is considered classic lit, is not pretentious when Gossip Girl, which is written to pander to the lowest common denominator (or so I’ve heard), is.

I hate to be supporting Gossip Girl, but it doesn’t pander to the LCD. For the people who notice it, there are a ton of literary references written into the scripts. Not to mention the absolutely IndieDouchetastic music selection.

Not that I find the plot or characters terribly compelling.

In that case I stand corrected.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010

Dune has such a well thought out world. I haven’t seen anything some world this expansive this carefully considered besides Lord of the Rings. The better sci-fi and fantasy world builders tend to focus on certain aspects, but Herbert sees the consequences of every single detail about his world.

I’ve heard that it’s good, but also that there are a lot of books in the series (or am I thinking of something else?) and that can sometimes be a turn-off for me.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I finished The Seventeenth Swap. Good book, the plot fits together nicely, the characters are well fleshed out.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

To anyone who has read Macbeth: How do you think that power is defined in the play? I keep thinking about how power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, but I’m not sure that that’s what I’m supposed to be saying.

Hmm. Well, the desire of power corrupts moreso than power itself, necessarily. Macbeth wanted the power of Duncan, so he killed him. Lady Macbeth wanted power, so she encouraged Macbeth. When Macbeth wanted to retain power he had Banquo murdered, then went after Macduff.

I was thinking that the question was extremely vague, and then I found out that it was supposed to tie back to feminist theory.

Oh.

Thanks for the help, though, Willow. What you said makes a lot of sense.

Now that I no longer have a cold to keep me disoriented, I’m back to reading Wizard of Earthsea.

Still working on Atlas Shrugged. It’s been a month, and I’m only 200 pages in.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. So far it’s tons of fun. ^^

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

@Inspector,

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.” — John Rogers

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Win.

I contemplated reading Atlas Shrugged, but then decided that I had more important things to read.

I contemplated reading Atlas Shrugged, but then decided that I had more important things to read.

Yeah…. it’s not terribly boring but it’s not terribly exciting, either…

@ Spanman: Ooh, I read that book! I found it pretty amusing. One thing: I think there’s one part where there’s a printing error or something, so that some pages are repeated or some are missing…it maddened me to no end, because now I will never know what happened in those parts! Unless you’re lucky and your copy just happens to be in good shape.

Finished Macbeth today…I found the very end to be kind of abrupt. It’s just Malcolm saying ‘Okay, I guess you guys can see me get crowned at Scone’. As a whole, though it was a ton of fun to read. I got to read one of the witches. :)

I hate to be supporting Gossip Girl, but it doesn’t pander to the LCD. For the people who notice it, there are a ton of literary references written into the scripts. Not to mention the absolutely IndieDouchetastic music selection.

I have never seen the show, so I dont’ know. I’ve only read a book or two.

My friend read Atlas Shrugged, but I forgot to ask him what he thought of it. And that John Rogers quote is win!

This is late but I must say I love that you love Oscar Wilde, RVL and SWQ.

I started Sea of Monsters. :)

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010

You. will. love. it.

The chapter titles alone are made of win.

Yay! How did you like The Lightning Thief?

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010

Is it just me, or was the ending to Dune a let down? The last few chapters felt rushed, and Paul was way too powerful (although I know that’s part of the point).

I felt the same way, Red Sky. ;)

I found a copy of Twilight in the Freebie box at the library. I brought it home. what should I do with it?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010

what should I do with it?

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Should I deface it? Attempt to read it? Burn it? I’m at a loss….

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

:|

Why would you burn it or deface it? You could just give it to somebody for the lulz.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky

Punish the author, not the poor sheets of papers doomed to bear her words for the rest of eternity.

I’m starting The Stand now.

twitches nose I can’t wait for summer and more reading time. 8D

Just finished The Graveyard Book by He Who Shall Not Be Named among this crowd.
    Now reading Airman by Eoin Colfer (Only of his aside from Benny and Omar series that I haven’t read.)
    And Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    And Does My Head Look Big In This….(Interesting….Teen lit crossed with some religious difficulties and whatnot.)

Next up
    Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Neb/Ben is….just….<3)
    Aaaaand Howl’s Moving Castle.
    :]

He Who Shall Not Be Named

Neil Gaiman’s sudden plunge in popularity on this forum saddens me.

And currently, I’m reading Nation by Terry Pratchett.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Should I deface it? Attempt to read it? Burn it? I’m at a loss….

Write funny things in the margins and then give it to someone else. ^^

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Next up, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman

I LOVE that book! Much better than the Redwall books, in my opinion. Did you know there’s a sequel? It’s not as good as the first one, but still pretty nice.

@ Marquis: I haven’t read much Gaiman, but judging from Neverwhere and Good Omens (which, coincidentally was cowritten with Pratchett), he’s one of the better fantasy writers out there.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010

Did you know there’s a sequel? It’s not as good as the first one, but still pretty nice.

There are two sequels. :D

• CommentAuthorSamuel

I´ve read The Way of Shadow, by Brent Weeks. The first in a trilogy.

Odd book. I enjoyed it, but the plot wasn´t all that coherent. Could anyone tell me if the next two áre worth buying=

Next up, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Ooh, I have a copy of it right now.

There are two sequels.

NO KIDDING! How’s the third book, Jeni? Have you read it?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

O_o Er, yeah, it was released four years ago.

The Angel’s Command in 2003 and Voyage of Slaves in 2006. Neither as good as the first, though.

Oops, I must be behind the times.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Must’ve been that good if it has two sequels and everyone’s screaming over it… (that was my impression anyway)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Eh. I’m rather disillusioned with Mr. Jacques at the moment, because I bought Eulalia! just after Christmas and started it, and it seemed to me that the editor glanced at it, said “Oh, by Brian Jacques? Let’s publish it!” and sent it to the press. There’re grammatical problems and instances of terrible sentence structure every other page. It was very disappointing. =(

But I did like Castaways of the Flying Dutchman, mostly because it’s something different from the animals-who-always-get-a-happy-ending, and the story was quite interesting, at least for the first book.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky

The Stand.

Read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it read it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Who by?

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010 edited

Stephen King.

It’s my first Stephen King book, and I’m wondering why the hell haven’t I read him before? I blame all the pretentious snobbery against popular and/or genre writers out there that must have infected me.

Isn’t The Stand the book that first was like a thousand-page-draft?

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky

The final draft was around a thousand pages, and then for publishing purposes King was asked to cut it down so they wouldn’t have to spend so much money on paper.

I’m reading the uncut version though.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010 edited

Eh. I’m rather disillusioned with Mr. Jacques at the moment, because I bought Eulalia! just after Christmas and started it, and it seemed to me that the editor glanced at it, said “Oh, by Brian Jacques? Let’s publish it!” and sent it to the press. There’re grammatical problems and instances of terrible sentence structure every other page. It was very disappointing. =(

They’re all like that nowadays, I haven’t bought Doomwyte yet, and The Sable Quean is soon to be released.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

@ Spanman & Jeni: I prefer to think that Mr. Jaques was testing the editors to see if they’re paying attention. He’s too good to be making genuine grammatical mistakes and bad prose.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010

XDDDD I like your attitude!

But, for me, it doesn’t matter. I already love him and Redwall unconditionally.

Unconditionally.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010

I’m afraid that my love is conditional. However, to keep up the illusion of absolute goodness, I will abandon Eulalia! and go back to reading Pearls of Lutra and Taggerung and others for the tenth time. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I just finished Logicomix. Great book, it really involves you in the story, makes you feel like you’re part of what’s happening.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010

Dune. The premise was great but the execution was pretty terrible.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I agree completely.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky

I disagree, somewhat. I thought Dune was well executed despite mediocre writing for the first two parts, but then in the third book things trailed off, especially in the last few chapters.

Now, The Stand. Finally finished. What are you all waiting for? Get out there, buy it, and read it.

Has anyone here read China Mieville? This is the synopsis for The Kraken, to be released in May.

I for one am highly excited.

Now, The Stand. Finally finished. What are you all waiting for? Get out there, buy it, and read it.

I’ve been meaning to. I promise.

@ Devin: That sounds really interesting. Another book to add to The List!

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010

I want to do a sporking of The Cry of the Icemark.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Is it bad? I’ve had it recommended to me before.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited

13 year old princess nicknamed Strong-In-The-Arm who can “ride her horse as well as the best of her father’s soldiers.”

Make of that what you will.

To be fair, I’ve just started, but it seems to offer a lot of comedic value in the “So Bad It’s Funny” vein.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

...cough

Oh dear, it does seems just a leeetle bit ominous. Cough.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

Whenever I think of Cry of the Icemark I think of this semi-gothy girl in my class a few years back who absolutely loved it. She had decent taste in books (His Dark Materials, Neil Gaiman books, etc) and I’m surprised she’d go for something like that.

According to Wikipedia: “The Cry Of The Icemark tells the story of Thirrin Freer Strong-in-the-Arm Lindenshield, Wildcat of the North, a fourteen year old Princess to the land of Icemark.

Thirrin enjoys life as a carefree daughter. She is an impulsive teenager, who gets bored in the lessons that she has with an old scholar named Maggiore Totus. Her father, King Redrought ‘Bear of the North’, stresses that she not only is adept in the subject of fighting, but has the sharp mind of a competent scholar.”

Any signs of rebellious princess syndrome yet? D:

I read it in 8th grade and thought it wasn’t bad. Then again, I didn’t have the analytical thinking skills I do now.

(Puppet does, but he’s not the norm.)

I really need some of those analytical thinking skills.

Read more and analyse more?

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I don’t think any of us besides Puppet had very developed analytical skills in 8th grade. At that time, hey, I was a Twilight fan girl.

I liked Eragon in eighth grade. >.<
    Puppet, I concede that you are the coolest eighth grader.

• CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010

In eighth grade I was trying to read the complete works of Shakespeare. I got through almost all the tragedies and comedies before I gave up.

I sucked at analysis back then though, so yeah. Puppet rules all :P

• CommentAuthorNo One

Haha, since I’ve been hanging out with you guys, I’m starting to analyse just about every book I’m reading. And read before.

And if Puppet ever rule over all, I will overthrow him in whatever ways I can.

I brought the Pride and Prejudice book. I’m still hovering around it, eager to read it but afraid of it at the same time. Grr.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Oh, Puppet. Such an enterprising child.

We expect terrifying things from you, Puppet. Terrifying things…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Don’t expect anything from me, because I spend all day on II. xD

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010

All day on II, eh? You could be great, and II will help you on your way to greatness, there’s no doubt about that!

I think Puppet’s a sort of Ender. But we aren’t the bugger, right? We should be ok!

Edit: I’m calling you Ender from now on, Puppy. Hope you don’t mind. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah, Puppy.

Do not, under any circumstances, mock the future overlord. It is a Very Bad Idea Tm .

Hey, Puppet, want a cookie? Holds out plate full of warm gooey cookies

Holds out plate full of warm gooey cookies

gooey? As in uncooked? Good God, madame, are you trying to give Ender the future overlord food poisoning?!