Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDarkes
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012 edited

I've been reading the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus for a while. The first two books are good, but Necropolis is really when things pick up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012

Alas, the library does not seem to have that. :|

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012 edited

You could try Blood Oath by Chris Farnsworth. It’s vampire fiction, but the vampire’s a secret agent working for the President, and any angsting is about the fact that any ‘friends’ he has will die either violently or of old age. And if your library doesn’t have it, you could probably pick it as a paperback for about $10.

Edit: If you’re hesitant about it, try reading the sample chapter on the author’s website.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

The library does have it!

Just a quick question, though, since it looks like an adult book: there are no sex scenes, right? I really don’t want to read or see or whatever a sex scene.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

There is one sex scene, but I don’t think it was all that graphic (but it’s been a while since I read it). There is lots of violence, though, and some language. Again, the first chapter is online, so that should give you an idea of what to expect.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Ah, I did not see that edit! Thanks. (Unfortunately, I did not care for the writing of that.)

(I’m a real ray of sunshine, shooting down all the suggestions, eh?)

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012

You could read Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey. It’s basically an Australian version of To Kill a Mockingbird. It really captures the Australian feeling, and it deals with death, racism and love in the early…. 60’s, or 80’s, I think. It’s seen through the eyes of a young teenage boy, and it’s really satisfying, watching him grow and develop as a character over the course of the novel.

Read the Spellman books by Lisa Lutz. They’re very funny and difficult to put down. However, they work better if you read them with long breaks between them because they are less entertaining when read all at once, kind of like Jeeves books.

Between Spellman books you might consider reading Jonathan Rabb’s mysteries starring Detective Nikolai Hoffner, which take place in Berlin during the rise of the Nazis. The first one is called Rosa, after the anarchist Rosa Luxembourg, who plays an important role in the plot.

For non-prose (or semi-prose) on 1920s/‘30s Berlin, you might also consider reading Jason Lutes’ City of Stones and City of Smoke . These you should probably read one after the other because there are many, many characters to keep track of running around the city. Of course, this presumes you have no prejudice against comic books. These are upscale comic books, but if you don’t like your words and pictures together, never mind.

You could read David Benioff’s City of Thieves, which is a regular old prose fiction book about the 900-day Siege of Leningrad. Very exciting, but not for the squeamish. People who eat people are the hungriest people in the world. Mr Benioff’s name may be familiar, since he also wrote the original book and screenplay for The 25th Hour, and is currently writing the script for the TV version of Game of Thrones.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Oh wow, the Spellman books look really good! Rosa sounds good, too.

Of course, this presumes you have no prejudice against comic books.

Oh please, I love comic books! That is, when I actually read them (which is about never—my comic book collection is a double feature thing with the Avengers and the X-Men, a Star Wars comic that came with an action figure, and a Ms. Marvel comic). I mostly just stick to graphic novels. But yikes, it’s expensive and not at my library.

but not for the squeamish.

I’m out, then.

• CommentAuthorSen

I wonder if you’re okay with a “young read”? I forget how old you are.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I wonder if you’re okay with a “young read”? I forget how old you are.

I’m fourteen, with a preference for younger material, actually. :P (The problem I’ve been having recently stems from the fact that kids’ stuff no longer grabs me, but there is nigh on no good stuff for teens and adult stuff feels a bit out of my range.)

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012 edited

Oh okay. Well, there’s Scorched by Josephine Poole. It follows the story of twins during their summer vacation. The brother, Robert, who’s damn negative about life, eventually meets up with a pretty mysterious character, Nick. As they become closer each day, Rob slowly finds himself doing almost anything to please his “friend” who is soon revealed as being extremely manipulative and cruel. He constantly veils his more violent nature beneath a mask of beauty and charm. Rob eventually begins to draw further away from everyone else around him and who he once was. I don’t think I made it too spoilerish, I just about gave you what you’d probably find on the cover.

I wonder if it’s too young a read…

Hm. I don’t really think it is. I’d suggest something I read more recently, but I’m a little worried about the content.

Wow, Soup I thought you were older.

Anyway, have you ever read anything by Neal Shusterman? He writes scifi/fantasy/horror YA stuff. I’ve read Full Tilt, Everlost, and Unwind by him. I think Everlost is aimed a but younger than the other two, but I read it and Unwind in high school, and I read Full Tilt in middle school. My favorite is Unwind.

EDIT:
    And you could always check out these recommendations.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Wow, Soup I thought you were older.

Yaaay.

I’ll check out those other recommendations now! (And wow did I forget about the ImpishIdea Recommends thing.)

I forget, Soup, have you read The Book Thief? Because if not, you should.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I bought it at the Scholastic Book Sale and didn’t care for it.

I just said that as a disclaimer, but the cannibalism didn’t bother me very much. It’s also about unrelenting starvation and misery, which might offend other sensibilities. People also die without being eaten. You might try it anyway if you can get it from the library.

I bought it at the Scholastic Book Sale and didn’t care for it.

Oh dear.
    We can’t be friends.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Oh dear.
    We can’t be friends.

Well, I certainly thought it was a good book—I just couldn’t get into it.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I did the same thing when I first started reading The Book Thief. Tried it again a year or two later and now it’s one of my favorite books. Give it another shot, it might surprise you.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Well fine then. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

Soup, you’re only 14? Wow, I also thought you were older. Hmm. Have you read The Thief of Always? I remember that one was pretty good and aimed for a younger audience. Or maybe Lloyd Alexander’s The Iron Ring? That one’s interesting because it takes place in mythical India and not in the (often) overdone medieval West.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012

I can definitely second The Iron Ring. Still one of my favorite books. It was one of the first fantasy novels I read that didn’t take place in the same old medieval Europe setting, and it has had a major influence on everything I’ve read/written since.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

Oh yes, The Iron Ring is great. If you like it, you can also try The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen, which is set in a fantasy version of China; and The First Two Lives of Lukas-Kasha, which is set in a fantasy Persia.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Awesome fantasy? Sign me up!

The Avengers has compelled me to read more superhero comics. Don’t know which ones, though.

The Avengers has compelled me to read more superhero comics. Don’t know which ones, though.

NEXTWAVE

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Which superhero comics? If you’re looking for Marvel suggestions, I can’t help you, but if you’re up for any in general, I’ve got plenty of Batman suggestions!

NEXTWAVE

Favorite fucking Marvel book ever.

On a more serious note, if you are interested in Batman comics (which are usually quite different from tone of the Avengers movie), start with Batman: Year One and follow it up with The Long Halloween and Dark Victory.

Read those years ago. And Loeb’s recent ventures have spoiled any rereadings. Really, I’ve got my Batman covered. Only have the latest storyline about the owls to read up on.

Read Transmetropolitan, of the two-headed smoking cat featured recently somewhere on the forum. The writer is named Warren Ellis; he also wrote Nextwave and The Authority, and you should only read the first dozen or so issues of that before it runs out of steam.

Have you read Garth Ennis’ Punisher series? Garth Ennis wrote the best Punisher comics ever, if you’re into that sort of thing. His most recent series is called The Boys and the titular characters are a superhero containment force hired by the government. The Boys is drawn by Darick Robertson, the same man who drew Transmetropolitan .

Have you read Asterix? They’re really funny and written by Rene Goscinny and drawn by Albert Uzero about the adventures of a Gaulish barbarian fighting the Roman Empire with magic invincibility potion and puns.

EDIT: More may appear as they occur to me.

Already read Transmetropolitan (which is godly), Punisher MAX, and some of The Boys. Well acquainted with Warren Ellis (to the point where I subscribe to his twitter and newsletter). Of Ennis’s work, I haven’t read Preacher or Hitman yet. I probably should.

See that’s the thing about not knowing what other comics to read. I’ve already gone through most of the greats (Watchmen, Sandman, Ex Machina, etc.), so I’m drained in a sense as to where else to go.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012

Have you read Asterix? They’re really funny and written by Rene Goscinny and drawn by Albert Uzero about the adventures of a Gaulish barbarian fighting the Roman Empire with magic invincibility potion and puns.

I second that.

Speaking of comics, I highly recommend that all of you read Understanding Comics by Scout McCloud. It’s an excellent graphic novel that really made me appreciate all the effort and detail that goes into a comic book.

Not convinced? Understanding Comics also has Niel Gaiman’s, Matt Groening’s, Alan Moore’s, Art Spiegelman’s, and Warren Ellis’s recommendation, too.

Yes, I’m reading Scott McCloud’s Zot! right now. Can definitely feel how much passion he puts in comics there.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012 edited

Speaking of comics, I highly recommend that all of you read Understanding Comics by Scout McCloud. It’s an excellent graphic novel that really made me appreciate all the effort and detail that goes into a comic book.

I recommend it as well. Even as a non-comick, this book opened my eyes to a whole new way of understanding language and perception. Absolutely brilliant stuff, and if you want to write your own comics, definitely the first place to go.

I’m currently working on the second book of Robin Hobb’s Farseer Trilogy, Royal Assassin. Hobb is about the only author I’ve read who can successfully write first-person present tense of a man having a magical far-seeing vision in which he is sharing the body/mind of another man who is in turn having a magical far-seeing vision. It boggles the mind, and yet the prose and ideas are so smooth and well-defined.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012

I was wondering, has anyone here read any of Chuck Black’s “Kingdom” series? I read the first one on the recommendation of a friend who said it was a “really good YA Christian allegory”. Instead it ended up being about a step or two above G. Tesch’s books. It is entirely spork worthy and is another example of a book that tries too hard to be an allegory and ends up having no real point in the end.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012

I was wondering, has anyone here read any of Chuck Black’s “Kingdom” series?

I haven’t read them, but I saw them in a Christian book store and thought their description seemed like they would be very generic.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012

Yes, it was. They really needed to have someone edit these and make them longer (they’re only about 140 pages each) and help the author get a clear handle on the allegory he was trying to convey.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012

140 pages?! That really is quite short! I don’t subscribe to Gloria Tesch’s “more pages = better” belief, of course, but that is surprisingly short for novels, even if they are YA.

Just got from the library:
    1. A book on the making of Jesus Christ Superstar
    2. A (very large) book about Gilbert and Sullivan’s lives/work/partnership
    3. A book on musicals that bombed on Broadway.

CLEARLY I AM ONE OF THE COOL KIDS.

The Book Thief is… strange so far. And d’aww at Hans.

The Book Thief is… strange so far. And d’aww at Hans.

flailing

I HEART THAT BOOK.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012 edited

I love/hate it. It got less and less enjoyable towards the end. What I loved so much about it though was that unlike any others, the style was more … abstract? There’s more than a few senses tied to experiences that aren’t usually put into words. For me, the book accomplished a lot in that area, if that makes any sense.

Starting The Iliad. I’m excited to delve back into mythology. I haven’t read anything really since middle school.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012

....I just bought A Knights Guide to Chivalry written by some guy in the sixteenth century. So, it’s actually a source …and a book of Koren folktales. I’m hoping for to get The Book of Five Rings and The Art of War at some time as well, along with some more Native American folklore and Italian folklore…

Say what you will about my tastes, but you cannot say that they are mainstream.

The Book of Five Rings and The Art of War

I can’t speak to the other stuff, but I can guarantee both of these are well worth the time it would take to acquire them.

I’m currently reading Book of Five Rings online. I can link it if you like.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2012

I’m currently reading Book of Five Rings online. I can link it if you like.

Yes, please! :)

http://www.miyamotomusashi.com/gorin.htm

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I just reread Howl’s Moving Castle. I love that book so much. It’s one of those classics I just go back to time and time again and never get bored with it.

I didn’t even know it was a book. I’ll have to track it down now. How faithful is the movie to the book?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I found the movie by accident while idly flipping through the YA stacks at my library.

Now I’m just biding my time. School must end at some point.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Not all that faithful. I liked the movie an awful lot (I saw it first), but I do like the book a bit more. They’re different and both good, IMO.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012 edited

They’re different and both good, IMO.

True. I thought the movie started getting very weird towards the end (weird even for the genre), but I think that was because I kept expecting it to be like the book.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012

Reading this military/scifi gem called Odyssey One.

And I'm writing a book. Not for myself, Im publishing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012 edited

@Wulf – Yeah, the ending is significantly different. I think having seen the movie first actually helped me like it more; if I’d read the book first, I might have been more concerned about accuracy.

The Dresden files. Oh. Yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

hunted down?
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yes. Didn’t you know we all collect scalps?

@Armourer: Yes. Out of curiosity, which book?

aims newbie tranquilizer gun at Armada

All of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Ah.

Yes.

Found the Howl’s Moving Castle book. I’m quite liking it so far. The only problem is I found it hard to visualise the actual castle itself, so I had to resort to the movie depiction. At least the book makes a lot more sense!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@Armourer:

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

Clear and Present Danger baby

Picked up the first volume of Kenshin and the first four of Fullmetal Alchemist.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012

What is fullmetal alchemist exactly?

Picked up the first volume of Kenshin

yes

and the first four of Fullmetal Alchemist.

yes

What is fullmetal alchemist exactly?

A good manga.

A good manga.

A better anime though.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

I actually don’t know if the FMA fandom is like that, but usually any mention of an anime/manga being better than the equivalent manga/anime leads immediately to intense hatred on both sides.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I think it’s more about which version of the anime is better. Then again, I’m not that involved with the fandom.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Brotherhood’s the good one, right? I think.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

It’s the newer one that follows the manga plot, yeah.

I never finished watching the anime, but my brother says the end is kind of lame. I still need to finish it.

I really like the manga so far but I can’t find where I put the fourth volume.

Kenshin is good so far too.

I just wish they didn’t read so quickly ‘cause I keep needing the next one.

Brotherhood’s the good one, right? I think.

They’re both good, but yeah, Brotherhood is the more faithful one.

A better anime though.

I have to disagree(assuming you’re talking about Brotherhood). It was really faithful, but I don’t feel like it actively improved on the manga(which, hey, I don’t think it really needed much of). However, Brotherhood suffers overall in comparison because of the truncated nature of everything up ‘til Lab 5 or so.

Kenshin is good so far too.

Seriously though. I love this manga. My story doesn’t even exist without it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012

Currently Reading Cornelius Ryan's A Bridge Too Far. WW2 novels don't et any better. It tells the story of the largest airborne operation in history from all sides of the fighting. There's no dramatic flourish, no suspension of disbelief, just the complex, moving, and honestly presented story.

Fullmetal Alchemist FEELS/Spoilers below the cut

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012 edited

:[

It’s raining.

It’s raining.

lip quivers

GOD YOU MUST MADE IT WORSE I’M TRYING TO FORGET.

Do I even want to read the rest?

Why am I asking myself that. I’ve already got volumes 5 and 6 and I’m ordering 7 so I’ll have it when I’m done…

You must.

I lack the energy to pick up volume five.

I’d grab volume two of Kenshin but my brother has it in his room and it’s like 1:30 AM so I can’t.

EDIT:

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012

I just finished up the Star Wars “Thrawn” trilogy. I can’t believe all my years as a SW fan and I didn’t read those books. Oh well, they were pretty good, although I thought Thrawn’s character got totally screwed over in the climax. Poor guy, he deserved better than that.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012

Thrawn is so awesome, isn’t he? I can’t help but love the guy, even if he is, you know, evil.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012

hell yeah, good books those were.

The Book Thief. I just love Hans Huberman. He is the best.

^ I have to reread The Book Thief. I’ve been seeing it everywhere lately.

Read the Dark Phoenix Saga in one go. While the ending floundered a bit, I really liked it. The Hellfire Club made great villains with quite a baroque feel, while the shift into the story becoming a space opera was quite well-done. Sucks that neither the 90s cartoon nor X3 could do justice with it though.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

@Swenson,
    I think Thrawn was a perfect villain to follow the Emperor and Vader. He set such a different tone, and you couldn’t help admire his genius even though he was the enemy. I think Zahn did a great job with him.

Now go read Outbound Flight. And then Survivor’s Quest. In order.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

They are on my list, haha.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Thrawn is such a great villain precisely for that reason, IMO—you can’t help but like him, even if he is the bad guy. He’s definitely and obviously on the bad side, but honestly? He’s just so cool and brilliant, you have to admire him.

That is how you do a really good, yet undeniably “evil” villain, by the way. You don’t need cartoonish evil (the kind where there’s practically neon signs saying “THIS IS THE BAD GUY” flashing every time the villain is on the page) or even unlikable people to have effective villains. The fact that everybody thinks Thrawn is awesome makes him that much more effective. Of course we want the heroes to win. But man, do we ever want Thrawn to only lose in a stylish way.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

I totally agree. I think Vader was a good villain for the story he was in, but not every story needs to have that kind of ruthless, evil-to-the-core enemy. One of my favorites Thrawn scenes is in the third book where Luke escapes the tractor beam by blowing up the cargo ship and flying out with his X-wing. The way Thrawn handled that by rewarding the tractor beam officer for trying to come up with a new technique on the fly was surprising and even admirable! And yet he could decimate the New Republic’s forces in almost every encounter. It was cool to see the psychological edge that those victories gave him, but also see that he wasn’t infallible (the way he jumped to the wrong conclusion about the Noghri commando in “Dark Force Rising”).

I was a little disappointed with the way he lost; I kinda felt like Zahn spent too much time with the strike team on Wayland and not enough on the battle at Bilbringi. I liked what he did, I just thought he should have taken a little bit more time with it.

More Fullmetal Alchemist FEELS/Flailing:

Chris Claremont is soooooo wordy. A fight scene shouldn’t have several paragraphs of dialogue.

Another Fullmetal update

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012 edited

@Marquis – Talking is a Free Action, doncha know?

It was suggested once in an issue of Deadpool that enormous amounts of dialogue mid-fight (or mid-panel) is actually a form of mutant power, but I think that’s too narrow of a definition. It’s just a general all-superheroes-ever power, even if they have no other superpowers.

I finished The Book Thief.

Herein lie spoilers:

So, non-spoilery opinion?

The Book Thief is really good. When I first started reading it, I was intrigued by the strangeness of the writing style and the narrator (Death). I started to think it was probably overrated and only stayed interested because of the strangeness. Then somehow, I became hooked. I was invested in the characters, and I realized that it’s not over-hyped. It really is great. I think it took a lot longer than normal to get invested in the story and the characters because of how detached the narration is, but the detached narration is what makes some parts so heartbreaking once you are invested. So, I think the detachment is definitely a good thing in this case.

Also, the prose is beautiful. The sentences are great. I don’t usually focus on the actual prose and how the sentences flow and whatnot when I’m just reading for fun (unless they’re bad enough to distract me from the story), but here, I kept reading sentences that I felt like I needed to write down so I wouldn’t forget them. It’s very well-written. I few things were a little convenient to me or possibly over the top, but mostly, it was a really great book.