Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I’ll let you find out once you get to reading it.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011

Snow White Queen -- Presumably for the extensive endnotes, which constitute a section unto themselves.
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011

I shall post the shock of shocks: I just finished my first read through of _The Hobbit_.

I used to devour books in younger days, but have had trouble sticking with any sort of book sort of through the last decade. The trailer had piqued my interest enough to pick up the ebook (though a paperback exists somewhere in the house). Got it Saturday and only finished it this morning, so a rather slow pace on my part, even though it seemed to go quickly.

Finished One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest. Great book, definitely recommended.

Also, bought new hardcovers of The Children of Hurin and The Odyssey for $1 each.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011

Reading The Book Thief. Heard good stuff about this. Hope I enjoy it. I haven’t come across any good stuff lately.

Hidden because I didn’t want to ruin your experience with excessive hype. That’s happened to me way too many times.

Finished One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.

I love that book.

The Odyssey

What does it say about me that when I saw this, I thought you meant 2001: A Space Odyssey and thought, “Oh, yeah, I’ve been meaning to read that.”?

The Book Thief

That one’s on my list too.

I need to go by A Clash of Kings so I can read it before Christmas break is over and before the new season starts.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011 edited

If you want to avoid excessive hype about The Book Thief, you should probably stay away from this website. All the discussion I’ve ever seen about it here is pretty much the equivalent of SWQ’s comment.

Once I get back to school I have to read another book before the semester’s over. My English teacher has been trying to get me into literary fiction, so I’m sure it’ll be something I’ll get to bash later. Hopefully I’ll be able to borrow the latest Dresden Files book from a friend after I finish whatever my serious business book ends up being.

literary fiction

BAHAHAHHAHA

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011

I’ve heard really good things from people I trust about the Skullduggery Pleasant series. Any thoughts?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011

YESYESYES. The first books start of merely good, but the latest trilogy is seriously amazing. The writing, especially in the latest trilogy (I haven’t read the first one recently enough to say much about it) is really punchy and dark, fitting the story perfectly.

Guk, I’ve spent minutes trying to say good things about the books but really, my opinions on it are pretty much what SWQ said about the Book Thief.

Reading The Book Thief. Heard good stuff about this. Hope I enjoy it. I haven’t come across any good stuff lately.

OMGYES.

It’s one of the few books that is worth the hype.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011 edited

For the first time ever, my bookshelf is now FULL. Let’s go over what’s been added to my personal collection in the course of a few short days: – Twain collection – The Three Musketeers – an Trollope book – Les Miserables – Sabriel – Lirael – From Dawn to Decadence (1500 to present)
    Emma – Sorrow Floats – Thirteen Days – The Odyssey – The Children of Hurin

I think at this rate, I can begin getting rid of all the textbooks and boring things that I use to take up space. squee

I bought A Clash of Kings and The Book Thief at Barnes and Noble today.

^ I congratulate you. That’s just awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012

Finished The Reformed Vampire Support Group. I didn’t really like it a bunch until the end, at which point I realized I did. I know that doesn’t really make sense, but whatever. XD

Starting A Clockwork Orange today…kind of apprehensive.

Infinite Jest doesn’t make any sense.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited

@Rocky – so you read the Hobbit at last? What did you think?

EDIT: Also, has anyone posted this chart yet?

It’s kind of amusing to read through just in general, but it’s also kind of nice how it breaks down books by theme/type/format and so on. Also, I just love the option that goes “Enjoy stories about orphaned farm boys?” with the only box leading from it being “NO”. And then it says “Tough” and points you to some with orphaned farmboys anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012

Ha! I’ve never seen that chart before. Very cool. I like: “NO. I like to be held in suspense. Preferably for years at a time.”

Ahhhh this is so great!

I am sad that Garth Nix is not on here, though I am heartened by the presence of much Gaiman, GRRM, and Perdido St. Station. Also, I may be blind, where the HELL is LotR?

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited

LotR or LOTR is an acronym for "Lord of the Rings".

That's a very interesting diagram.

I recall *The Book Thief* fondly -- a non-Discworld book narrated by Death has greatness in its premise -- but I liked Markus Zusak's other books even more, particularly *The Messenger*, but the ending of *The Messenger* was a cop-out. If they ever make a movie version (and they probably should), they could change the ending to...
    (please don't reveal the hidden text unless you've read the book*, since it's a lovely book and you should read it for yourself before I prejudice you).

*Someone else has read this book, yes? You didn't all just stop reading Markus Zusak after *The Book Thief* ? The Internet tells me it was also published as *I Am the Messenger*.

I LOVE I AM THE MESSENGER!

Except the ending, but then, who liked the ending? I need to reread that book!

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012

Very fun chart, although I’m surprised to not see The Hobbit, Narnia, but maybe although children’s stories were cut? (Only implied Harry Potter.)

I tried reading Thomas Covenant Unbeliever. And then he raped the girl, and I just couldn’t be bothered anymore. I really want to try some of Sanderson’s stuff. Mistborn and the like. I keep listening to his podcast and agreeing with all his great ideas on story telling. I should see what he actually wrote…

I’ve read surprisingly few books on that chart though.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012

Very fun chart, although I’m surprised to not see The Hobbit, Narnia, but maybe although children’s stories were cut? (Only implied Harry Potter.)

Well, the list is from NPR, so the target audience has probably a) already read, b) a bit old for The Hobbit and the Narnia series

I’ve read surprisingly few books on that chart though.

Same here.

Anyway, finished Professor Moriarty, so now I can get to some of the books I got for Christmas.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012

a bit old for The Hobbit

NO SUCH THING: NEVER TOO OLD.

<3

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012

I brought 10 books from a gigantic book sale today! Originally, the deal was 10 books for $30, but I got lucky and only paid $25. :D

Now, if only the dratted projects never existed in the first place…

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

And then he raped the girl, and I just couldn’t be bothered anymore.

Thank you. I stopped reading the book then, too. I was confused how I was supposed to identify with this guy as being anywhere near good when he rapes a girl and the narrator justifies it as “he didn’t understand he had taken something valuable”, or something along those lines. But a lot of people tell me I just need to lighten up and push past it. Uh . . . no thanks.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

NO SUCH THING: NEVER TOO OLD.

Hey, I didn’t say The Hobbit or the Narnia books weren’t good; I love those books too. I’m just saying that the target audience for those books is probably around age 10-14, as while the target audience for NPR is, well, not. If I ever have kids, I plan on either reading/having them read those books at some point.

Anyway, I started readin Alanna: the First Adventure last night. I’m getting into the second chapter, so I’m not quite ready to give a judgement on quality yet. I also realize that this is a YA fantasy book, so comparing it to, say ASoIaF, would be stupid. Still, when about half of the first two pages consists largely of an “As you know…” conversation, it kinda throws me off. Luckily, it’s gotten better.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

I started Little Brother by Cory Doctorow this evening, and I am already halfway through. <3

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012

That book taught me everything I know! Or at least it taught me a lot about how networks and security work, what TOR is, and so on.

Unfortunately, I’ve heard Doctorow’s other YA books aren’t nearly as good. :(

Going through Return of the Native. Well, listening to the audiobook at least, because it is narrated by Alan Rickman and he does a terrific job of making purple prose sound incredibly hot. And, once it got by the initial purple prose dump, it’s actually a fairly interesting book, and I really didn’t want to stop listening when I ran out of time.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012

Took a break from An Accidental Adventure (yes, still reading that one) to start May Bird and the Ever After. It’s not quite as good as I remember, but still a fantastic book.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012

Rereading A Tale of Two Cities after a reference on this forum made me think, “Oo! I haven’t read that in a while!” Fantastic book.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012

Good to know. We’re doing that this year and I’ve had enough bad reads. Also Possessing the Secret of Joy. Not really looking forward to it once I found out what it was about.

Finished Return of the Native. It was wonderfully melodramatic., so now I’m reading Tess of The D’urbervilles.

Tess was okay. Most of the characters need to be slapped across the face, though.

I’m still reading A Clash of Kings. I’m starting to get into it now. I just read Davos’s first chapter. Stannis seems kind of Snape-like, in that he was unloved and tormented so long that now he’s kind of a jerk. It’s not exactly the same, but that’s what he calls to mind.

Tess was okay. Most of the characters need to be slapped across the face, though.

Yeah, there were a couple characters like that in Return of the Native. Luckily, they died. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012

I’m gonna have to go through that entire chart bit by bit so I can revel in my uber-geekiness. On first inspection, I’m much more at home in the SF half: I’ve read at least half of those. I very quickly get lost in the fantasy side though.

OH MY GOSH THEY HAVE A FIRE UPON THE DEEP

THE GREATEST BOOK EVER WHICH I PURCHASED FOR THIRTY CENTS READ IT ALL OF YOU

Tess of The D’urbervilles.

I’ve been trying to avoid Hardy for a long, long time…let me know how it goes!

I’ve been trying to avoid Hardy for a long, long time…let me know how it goes!

Well, I liked Return of the Native, but there was so much purple prose that at times I wanted to toss the book at a wall.

In Tess, he gives an overly detailed description of cow milking, including how to rest one’s head on the cow. I think that’s the part I fell asleep reading (quite literally, woke up a couple hours later).

In Tess, he gives an overly detailed description of cow milking, including how to rest one’s head on the cow. I think that’s the part I fell asleep reading (quite literally, woke up a couple hours later).

That sounds like Hardy. In Native, he gives several long, very very purple descriptions of the moors on which the characters live. Some of it was quite beautiful, but overall it was too much. If I hadn’t been listening to Alan Rickman narrate it, I might have given up.

Tonight I listened to Albert Camus’ The Stranger. and HATED it. Badly.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012

Anyone read Twain’s “On Fenimore Cooper’s Literary Offenses”? I’m sure it’s old hat around here, but I’m irresistibly reminded.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

^Eschew surplusage. <3

Anyone read Twain’s “On Fenimore Cooper’s Literary Offenses”? I’m sure it’s old hat around here, but I’m irresistibly reminded.

I love that article, and have not read any of Cooper’s books.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I do adore that piece of writing. I actually have read Last of the Mohicans and found it to be a peculiar mix of incredibly boring writing talking about things that should be exciting and adventurous, which made Twain’s snide little remarks all the more entertaining.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012 edited

I read about half of it.

Then I was like screw this. The only case I’ve seen where the movie WAS better than the book.

EDIT: They require that the personages in a tale shall be alive, except in the case of corpses, and that always the reader shall be able to tell the corpses from the others.

AHAHAHA. Oh MAN, Mark Twain could be vicious when he wanted to, and it is freaking hilarious. The OG sporker, ladies and gentlemen.

It is a restful chapter in any book of his when somebody doesn’t step on a dry twig and alarm all the reds and whites for two hundred yards around. Every time a Cooper person is in peril, and absolute silence is worth four dollars a minute, he is sure to step on a dry twig. There may be a hundred other handier things to step on, but that wouldn’t satisfy Cooper. Cooper requires him to turn out and find a dry twig; and if he can’t do it, go and borrow one. In fact, the Leatherstocking Series ought to have been called the Broken Twig Series.

Only because I had a loong, rough week, and I am choking with laughter despite having read this article a hundred times.

Tonight I listened to Albert Camus’ The Stranger. and HATED it. Badly.

Cool, I’m not the only one.

I’d like to read a Virginia Woolf novel- which would you experts recommend?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012 edited

The OG sporker, ladies and gentlemen.

We do owe a great debt to him. And now I’ve got to go off and read it again, simply because those passages are so great.

The eighteen “rules governing literary art in domain of romantic fiction” that Cooper apparently violated in Deerslayer:

Reading through this, I think we could apply them to a great deal of other rotten books out there. Maradonia and its random plots, inconsistent characterization, and unending deus ex machina comes to mind.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Anyway, I started readin Alanna: the First Adventure last night. I’m getting into the second chapter, so I’m not quite ready to give a judgement on quality yet. I also realize that this is a YA fantasy book, so comparing it to, say ASoIaF, would be stupid. Still, when about half of the first two pages consists largely of an “As you know…” conversation, it kinda throws me off. Luckily, it’s gotten better.

HIGH PITCHED SCREAM

Okay, that one is not the best book, or even best series, but it is the first. I’d say the best series is Protector of the Small. The Immortals is more fun, but technically weaker.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hey, I read Protector of the Small! I remember liking it, although I haven’t read any of those books since middle school. Perhaps I should pick them up again, for the sake of nostalgia. I remember liking them a lot at the time.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Oh, yes, the POTS is the best series. I love how it starts of as a classic girl-in-chainmail-stomps-in-social-norm-fantasy-adventure, and then in the final book turns into a kind of sci-fi steampunk race against time. Those machines are pretty cool.

Out of curiosity, have any of you read the Uglies/Pretties/Specials books? I saw the first book on my shelf today and remembered that series used to be popular at one point, but I never liked it much.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012

I read the *Uglies* books -- they're pretty good, although the world gets kind of weird by the third one, although I like "Extras", which was a post-trilogy companion book that took place in a later era and does not require you to read any of the previous ones, although allusions are made to the trilogy's characters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, I read those, and I have to concur on all three points—they’re good enough, although the third book does get a bit strange; and you really don’t have to read the trilogy to read Extras. Probably would enhance your experience, though.

Oh, yes, the POTS is the best series. I love how it starts of as a classic girl-in- chain mail-stomps-in-social-norm-fantasy-adventure, and then in the final book turns into a kind of sci-fi steampunk race against time. Those machines are pretty cool.

Don’t do that again. >:-|

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012 edited

I tried reading Uglies and didn’t bother finishing, because I didn’t like it that much. Scott Westerfeld as an author is still pretty cool though; I really enjoyed Peeps, its sequel, and the Midnighters books. Has anyone read the Leviathan series? (it’s probably not actually called that, but I think you guys know what I mean)

I really want to read the Leviathan books! Haven’t yet, but I’ve heard good things.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’ve read the first book (I’ve been meaning to get the sequil, but just haven’t gotten around to it). I enjoyed it, for what that’s worth. While the science behind some of the stuff is iffy (how exactly do they splice genes with early 20th century technology?), but that can be handwaved with rule of cool.

bq. I’ve read the first book (I’ve been meaning to get the sequil, but just haven’t gotten around to it). I enjoyed it, for what that’s worth. While the science behind some of the stuff is iffy (how exactly do they splice genes with early 20th century technology?), but that can be handwaved with rule of cool.

Is it wrong of me that I'm hoping Germany will win?
    • CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012

I have read all of the Leviathan books, they're pretty exciting. Germany winning the war is not really the question, or at least not in the way as conventionally asked in history books, because the characters do unexpected things that remove belligerents from the conflict. Certain historical geek champions have cameos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’ll admit, half the fun of Leviathan came from how much of it is real history.

In other news, I finished Alanna. It’s wasn’t especially bad, but it also wasn’t spectacularly good either, though a good chunk of that can probably be chalked up to being the first in a series. Maybe I’ll write a full review and post it to my livejournal account (and finally get around to using the dang thing for something). I’ll post a link here if/when that happens.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Hrmmm. Let me see. You can either try the rest of the series, which improves book by book, or try First Test, which is the first book of the Protector of The Small quartet. Those books are where she really grew the beard. Or, if you like girl talking to animals (BETTER THAN IT SOUNDS, I SWEAR!) you can try The Immortals.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’ll probably try finishing the series, just for completeness sake. But not right now – I still have a pretty hefty pile of books that need reading.

Read Sabriel last night instead of working on my paper…now I must get my hands on Abhorsen!

It’s funny, there are some cliched elements in there that I wouldn’t stand for otherwise, but I still love those books so much. (Then again, the original parts are awesome and override any cliches.)

^ Does Sabriel die?
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

@SWQ: Do you already have Lirael? Because that and Abhorsen are effectively two halves of the same book.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I reread the Bartimaeus Trilogy last week and read The Ring of Solomon for the first time. I forgot just how much I loved those books. Bartimaeus is hilarious!

The Ring of Solomon was good, but it was very different than the original three, obviously. For starters, Bartimaeus is even more of a jerk than in the later books, because he hadn’t met Ptolemy yet.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

I never knew there was a fourth book. I'll have to go find it. Does *The Ring of Solomon* have footnotes? Does anyone else narrate?
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012

Yes on the footnotes, yes on another narrator. It’s a prequel (obviously, because he hasn’t met Ptolemy yet!) but has a few familiar characters… well, at least two. Faquarl shows up again, is what I’m trying to say here, and he and Bartimaeus have this completely awesome sort-of-friends-sort-of-want-to-kill-each-other relationship—more friendly that the trilogy, at least, because they loathe one another vaguely less.

@ Apep: I do not have Abhorsen, but I do own Lirael. I have read all the books, though.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

I just started Inkheart. A book about books. Mmmmm…..........

I really like The Turn of the Screw, but Henry James’ writing style kind of grates on me. It’s so unnecessarily complicated. (Unless that’s the point.)

I’m reading How Fiction Works for my workshop class. Not enjoying it. The guy is pretentious and drones on and on about every point he makes. Plus the margins are huge, which is annoying.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I stupidly left my copy of Clash of Kings at home, and it’s been three weeks, and I am starting to forget what’s happening, so that’s maddening.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

That’s the trouble with those books. Whenever you have a tiny vacation from reading them, all the complicated politics and storylines just drop out of your mind.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Crap. I’m surprised you didn’t get it mailed to you as soon as you realized you didn’t have it.

You’re reading that too, Spanman? I sadly don’t have much time to read fun books because school is back, but I was really liking it.

That’s the trouble with those books. Whenever you have a tiny vacation from reading them, all the complicated politics and storylines just drop out of your mind.

Yeah. When I started Clash of Kings, I had forgotten a bunch of stuff from Game of Thrones.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’m reading A Dance With Dragons right now. I don’t remember 90% of A Feast For Crows or the previous books, everything is just a murky blur.

Yeah, that’s why I’m waiting for the mythic point where GRRM will eventually finish these books so I can read them consecutively.

And I’m reading Habibi now. Very interesting ideas and art combined with uneven storytelling.

Yeah, that’s why I’m waiting for the mythic point where GRRM will eventually finish these books so I can read them consecutively.

Yeah, that’s my plan. Or I’ll just have a marathon before the corresponding series on the TV show is released. (This is my intention for ACOK.)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012

I’m surprised you didn’t get it mailed to you as soon as you realized you didn’t have it.

Well, the story wasn’t exactly riveting at the time, and I had other books to enjoy in the meantime, so I’ll probably wait until I go home in two weeks to pick it up again.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012

A friend lent me her copy of The Hobbit today. I never got into anything by Tolkien before. Now that she might be checking up on me, I have no excuse. :P

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I just finished rereading that, to go along with my recent reread of The Lord of the Rings. It was one of the first books that I remember loving.
    I’m still in the middle of Inkheart. It’s pretty good so far. The concept is kind of cool and scary at the same time—the idea of being cornered by the villains of a book I wrote really scares me.
    Another recent read was Lloyd Alexander’s last book, The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio, which was published after he died. It’s a fantasy version of the Silk Road, and it was fairly good. It’s the only book I’ve read of his that uses first person, but it worked well.
    And when I go home for spring break, I’m planning to reread all The Hunger Games books to prepare for the movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Inkheart does have a pretty fantastic premise. It is scary, when you think about it, from everybody’s perspective. But also really, really cool.

Reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

McMurphy is freaking awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012

Guess what I got for $30 yesterday?

Magician, Assassin’s Apprentice, and A Game Of Thrones.

YEAH baby, YEAH!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012

So my sister just got addicted to The Hunger Games, despite her usually loathing anything even remotely approaching dystopian sci-fi, and she lent me the first two books. I’m not going to get anything done now. T_T

Slowly getting over the “libraries vs book stores” dilemma by doing a little of both. Reading a book called My Antonia, while going through the Starman series. Interesting mix.

Turn of the Screw was SO AWESOME! Highly recommended.

My AP books are plotted out as follows- – Bertoldt Brecht (plays undecided) – Equus by Peter Schaffer – Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky – Anna Karenina by Tolstoy

I also picked up To the Lighthouse for a bit of personal reading, which has fallen off lately. I know that Sly fanboy-ed over it on the podcast, but a lot of my friends despise Woolf’s writing, so I’m curious to read it for myself.

Equus by Peter Schaffer – Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky – Anna Karenina by Tolstoy

I love Equus, though it’s disturbing. C&P is awesome (Dostoyevsky is one of my favourites)....and I loathe Tolstoy almost as much as I loathe Ayn Rand.

Equus by Peter Schaffer

I don’t think I can not associate this with naked Harry Potter.

Anyway… I really need to get back to A Clash of Kings. I have been neglecting due to homework.

I loathe Tolstoy almost as much as I loathe Ayn Rand.

Oh god, that’s not very encouraging.

I don’t think I can not associate this with naked Harry Potter.

Me either. :D I picked it because my teacher says it’s impossible to write a bad AP essay on Equus, so yeah.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012 edited

I’ve started Inkspell, and am also reading The Red Pyramid. Rereads include the Percy Jackson books and Castaways of the Flying Dutchman.
    The Red Pyramid isn’t quite as good as Percy Jackson was, but it’s still interesting. I didn’t actually know a whole lot about Egyptian mythology, so that was really cool.
    Oh and I’m also reading The Bloudy Tenet of Persecution for Cause of Conscience by Roger Williams.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012

I was right about my friend checking up on me with The Hobbit. Looks like I’ll have to read a bit faster. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012

I always found the Hobbit to be the easiest one to read. It’s much more episodic, funny, and entertaining than the full series. Not that LoTR isn’t entertaining, it’s just grim epic saga and requires a lot from the reader.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012

For what it’s worth, I rather liked Anna Karenina, though I didn’t actually finish it. Um. (I’m just a distracted reader, so very long books take me long time to read no matter how much I like them, because I rarely read them in one session. War and Peace is on my e-reader, but I haven’t read it yet.

Just finished It’s Kind of a Funny Story, which I’m quite out of the target audience for, but I’d highly recommend it. It’s about a boy who checks himself into a psychiatric hospital for depression, but it’s very honest (the descriptions of his depression were almost disturbingly familiar) and true. And it has a lovely ending.

And I’ve been rereading all of Sherlock Holmes, which is fun. Pretty much finished at this point, just His Last Bow collection and a few stories in the Casebook. Actually really interesting comparing them to all the different pastiches and adaptations, since I wouldn’t call them characters: Holmes could be, but Watson (as a character) is practically absent.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012

I went to a thrift store and bought an O Henry short story collection, Crime and Punishment, and She by H. Rider Haggard.

:win: