Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

The Hunger Games. I’m ridiculously enthralled.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

NP, I can’t read that article. I tried, and can’t get past the first one. People talking about the destruction of books is just too horrifying to me.

The whole thing is pretty horrifying actually. I had the “fingernails on a chalkboard” sensation in my stomach the whole time I was reading it. The things I found most horrifying were that they aren’t allowed to save rare editions and that they’d rather destroy books than denote them because destroying them is cheaper.

That article made me want to run screaming through a library, grabbing all the books.

Poor Books :(

Am I a nerd because this almost made me cry?

• CommentTimeOct 12th 2011

Terrible as it sounds, I can somewhat see the point. Finite space, and books that have thousands of copies elsewhere- what to do with them? Selling them would require a great deal of effort. Even giving them away would be complicated :(

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011

@Spanman, I've read the HG trilogy as well. You'll have to let me know what you think when you finish them. I'm still surprised that so many people I talk to haven't read them yet. It'd be interesting to see a critique/review of HG on Impish.
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011 edited

I understand the whole issue with hard copy books, especially as this is now the electronic age and hard copy books would eventually disappear. But still, I don’t want to one day say: “I remember when we had books as hard copies – paper, ink, cover and all! Can you believe that!?” and see (if we’re lucky) some precious hard-cover books in museums and rare collections.

:’(

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011

Just finished Divergent by Veronica Roth. Flawed, but surprisingly good. At times, it’s hard to believe she’s only 22.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011

Oooh, I've been meaning to read Divergent. Derek Landy recommended it!

I just finished rereading Silksinger, the second book in the Dreamdark series by Laini Taylor, and I'm now working on A Wizard Alone, by Diane Duane, which is the... sixth? book in the Young Wizards series.

I also mean to reread The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy sometime soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011

Finished The Stolen Throne a few days ago. Not bad, especially for a video game tie-in novel.

Also, finished listening to The Burning Bridge, the second Ranger’s Apprentice book.

I’m reading Revolutionary Road for fiction class. I like it okay so far. Somehow the two main characters are both horrible and pitiable at the same time.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011

Just finished Don’t Be Aftraid of the Dark: Blackwood’s Guide to Dangerous Faries, the prequil book to the movie). Let’s just say I’ll never think of the tooth fairy the same way again.

Does anybody else always read the introduction/foreword/analysis/whatever else is before the main text of a book? I love those- they always get me into the mood of reading that book.

The reason I say this is because I just read the introduction to my book of Tennessee William’s plays AND I LOVE HIM ALREADY.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011

No. Too many books have been spoiled for me. I’m looking at YOU, collected edition of Jane Austen’s novels.

When we had to read Wuthering Heights for school, I read the foreword after reading the book and was so very glad I didn’t read it earlier. Again, it spoiled the entire book! The problem with forewords to many classics is that they assume you’re rereading them, not reading them for the first time, so they gleefully spoil every single twist. So mean.

Oh, those do suck. The Williams ones were production notes, which only betrayed a few thematic elements, and an essay talking about how much he doesn’t like being successful.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011

I usually know most of the plots for the classics, so I don’t tend to worry about the spoilers in the intros….

but the one for The Tenet of Wildfell Hall was just not cool—although now that I think about it, I found that online, so it’s my fault. The book’s notes were nonexistent.

However, in general, I’m with SWQ: I like the notes that discuss themes and perhaps the time period/contemporary historical events. I’m very bad at finding themes myself, anymore.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Just finished A Wrinkle in Time.

....Was I the only one who didn’t think it was anything special? I mean, tell me if you think I’m wrong, but….I really don’t see how it became a classic.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

It’s been a really long time since I read that book. Although it wasn’t one of the best books I’ve read, I remember liking it at the time.
    Right now I’m working my way through “Son of Neptune”.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Yeah? I read The Lost Hero and didn’t like it much. Is Son of Neptune any better?

Just reread Song of the Lioness quartet and The Immortals quartet. Such fun :D

I must admit, Alanna and Daine are a bit Sue-ish, but they’re still awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

Well, I kinda liked “The Lost Hero”, although there were some definite issues with it. “Son of Neptune” does step it up a notch though.
    Riordan continues with the heroes-who-have-deep-dark-hidden-secrets thing, but not as much as TLH. One good thing is that this story doesn’t have Piper and Jason swooning over each other every chapter. Hazel and Frank (the new heroes) are the obvious love interest in this book, but don’t follow the constant “OMG He/She’s So Hot!” inner dialogue of TLH. Percy is back in action, but since readers already know his history the whole amnesiac thing isn’t told the same as Jason’s. For Percy, memories surface randomly, just beyond his full grasp.
    So far, I’ve really enjoyed “Son of Neptune”.

Supergod. That made Watchmen seem chipper and idealistic.

I finished Revolutionary Road last night. I liked it, overall. The characters were jerks, but they were sad jerks.

I’m thinking I need to re-read East of Eden.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011

I do not think Dante’s Inferno is overrated any more. One bus ride and I’m just under halfway through.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011

Snuff was awesome. Terry Pratchett is a genius.

Terry Pratchett is a genius.

Yes. Yes, he is.

Revolutionary Road

Is that the book of the movie that everyone made such a fuss about (because it was the first film starring both Kate Winslet and Leonardo di Caprio since Titanic)?

Is that the book of the movie that everyone made such a fuss about (because it was the first film starring both Kate Winslet and Leonardo di Caprio since Titanic)?

Yup. I could picture Kate being April, but I had trouble picturing Leo as Frank. Though, I could see him talking in the kind of annoying way Frank talks.

Zorba the Greek.

@NP – Oh okay.
    But hey now, he can’t help it that he’s annoying – he can’t control his subconscious!
    :-D

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011

I’m reading Dracula and enjoying it…I’m liking it so much I keep forgetting I know the story!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Is this the first time you’ve read it?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I mentioned above that Dante’s Inferno is awesome (in a roundabout way). Well… We’ve just reached the inner edges of the Rottenpockets.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011

@Apep: Yes it is. Don’t know how I’d managed to go without so long, especially since I’ve owned it for at least ten years. I’d heard pretty much the entire story and read critical articles, etc, just never managed to pick it up.

A friend of mine read an annotated edition for a class…they put in a footnote to define “typewriter.” FYI, apparently it’s a mechanical device that types words O_o

@Taku: yet another classic I need to get to!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011 edited

Yes, Theo. You do.

I just wish the Commedia had been finished properly before Dante’s death. What I wouldn’t give for a cloth-bound copy of Purgatorio, Paradisio and Inferno as a single glorious volume.

Anyway, here’s what’s on the page I just finished: (hidden for vulgarity)

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011

Anyway, here’s what’s on the page I just finished…

That does it. Dante’s Inferno will be the next book I read.

I love Inferno. It was my go-to book in high school when I needed to write English papers on books.

Hm, I should read it for Lit.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2011

Just finished Divergent. It was kind of disappointing, given the promising start. Oh, well. Gonna read Howl’s Moving Castle next, then it’s The Tale of Genji.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011

I read the Inferno a long time ago. Very interesting perspective. It’s been so long tho that I’ve forgotten a lot of the details. I really liked Edmund Spencer’s Faery Queen. It was like Pilgrim’s Progress mixed with St. George and the Dragon. Good stuff. I remember reading the fight with the dragon at the end and thinking it was pretty cool. I think I may have even done some drawings based on it.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011

I just started reading The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon on a recommendation from my English teacher, which might be a bad idea because we have really different taste in books. Has anyone here read it?

The Tale of Genji.

Prepare yourself.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011

@Soupnazi – I love Howl’s Moving Castle so much. I saw the movie at my friend’s house and immediately bought the book (I think it was like two days later) and fell hopelessly in love with it. I like the movie and all, but… the book is just even more awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011

I’m almost finished with Arcadia Snips & the Steamwork Consortium. Sweet steam-punk goodness.

And it’s free at the book’s website, so you literally have no reason not to get it. [/shamlessplug]

FREE BOOK?!

Reading The Book of Mormon. and The Grapes of Wrath (as an audiobook). And My Name is Asher Lev.

Read through Night Watch, Small Favor, and Room these past 3 days. My mind is full of time-travelling, Christian mythological, child abusive fuck.

I finished Flowers for Algernon. Sad, but good. It feels like one of those books that can make you a better person.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

Eeee! I finally got Death Bringer! Reading it now, and it is AWESOME.

Also, sort of reading the Tale of Genji still, but what can I say—it kind of bores me. :P

@ Marquis: In a good way or a bad way?

Also, sort of reading the Tale of Genji still, but what can I say—it kind of bores me. :P

Genji was the world’s first anti-hero.

@ sansafro:

YOU ARE KIDDING ME. THAT IS GROSS.

Excuse me while I go try to cleanse myself.

Genji don’t give a fuck, lady. Genji is too busy being Genji.

i hate you

Good.

Reading A Storm of Swords when I am not doing stuff for school…is it weird that reading about people getting murdered, raped and tortured relaxes me before I go to bed? Yeah, I thought so too :P

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

sansafro187: What—no. I’m, like, thirty pages in? Checks HA, exactly 30 pages.

swenson: (Totally late on this whatever) Yeah, the movie is what made me try the book, but I couldn’t get into it and so I stopped reading. I’ll try it again later when the movie isn’t so fresh on my mind.

I started Death Bringer yesterday while a friend was over and I’m already over 300 pages in. Anyone else read the Skulduggery Pleasant books? Because you all should. Though you’ll have to read the five books preceding it, I think the pretty much direct response to Twilight the Valkyrie/Caelan storyline is awesome enough alone to warrant a read. I mean, look at this:

“Then I will remain beside you as I sleep.” [Caelan said.]
    “My folks will love that,” Valkyrie said with a chuckle. He didn’t smile. “You’re not going to watch me sleep.”

WIN.

@lookingforme: Yeah, I“ve stopped reading ASoIaF now, about a quarter of the way through the third book. Mostly because of all the murder, torture, rape, and POV characters I don’t care about. I only want to read about (spoilers because of who’s NOT on the list and would be if they were alive):

Harsh as it sounds, I don’t care about Davos, or Stannis Baratheon, or anyone else, really. Even Jon’s POV I don’t care about anymore. I like him, I’m just bored by the story.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I actually like Davos. He’s kinda Eddard 2.0. Also, what about Sam? He’s awesome.

Stannis Baratheon

Stannis is the true ice cold MFer. Don’t hate.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

^ Tru dat. Also, he’s living proof that calling someone “just” might not be a compliment.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Oh dear. I barely got through A Game of Thrones.

And I just checked out 10 books from the library, just because I needed another way to avoid NaNo. But I also picked up one of their free books, just because it was called A Falcon for A Witch.

Just read through The Scar. None of it made sense to me at all.

I actually like Davos. He’s kinda Eddard 2.0.

Okay, now I’m listening…

Who is The Scar by, Marquis?

China Mieville

Oooh, he’s good. Thought it sounded familiar. Perdido Street Station was AMAZING.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011

Okay, now I’m listening…

Yeah, mostly in the “I want to make sure my king does the right thing, not the easy thing” (best demonstrated by his actions near the end of Storm of Swords ) and being extreamly loyal to said king. Basically, he’s one of the few truely decent characters in the series.

I haven’t gotten a chance to reread the series yet…I’m so rusty I don’t want to just jump into ADWD. As far as characters go, I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Melisandre yet. She’s such a great take on the whole ‘spiritual mentor’ trope.

Anyway, I have a ton of school reading…at least I get to choose what I read. I started Tennessee Williams’ ‘The Glass Menagerie’ today.

Basically, he’s one of the few truely decent characters in the series.

I love decent characters. ...I was reading the wrong series, wasn’t I? No wonder I gave up.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011

Now I’m wondering if we’re using the same meaning of ‘decent’.

When I said Davos was one of the few decent characters, I meant he was a decent human being. As for decent in the sense of ‘well rounded and with understandable motivations’, that’s most of the characters.

No, no, I meant the meaning you meant to mean.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011

Son of Neptune. It’s sad, but I really think the whole Percy Jackson series is going downhill, and fast. I know that the last couple of books have just been building up to some big throwdown in Rome, but there are so many characters and so much information to keep track of that it becomes exhausting to read. Add to that the fact that Riordan’s changed the way he write points of view and that since Camp Jupiter is Roman, all the gods and their complex relationships with each other and their children that we learned through the original five Percy Jackson books now has to be translated from the Greek to the Roman, and you’ve got a lot of confusion.

Anyway, it was enjoyable but I’m wondering if it was all really worth it. At least Percy Jackson is still a badass.

^^I’ve only read the original Percy Jackson series, which I loved. For some reason, I’m not that interested in reading the new one, though I have wondered about whether I should read it or not.

Unrelated thing. I read Reasons to Live by Amy Hempel for a class. I have to say I’m not a fan. I read review on Amazon that said you keep waiting for the story to start and it ends before it actually does (it’s a bunch of short stories, and they’re pretty much all like this). That review is very, very near the experience I had while reading it. Before that we had to read Jesus’ Son, which I had already read for a class last semester and refused to buy/read again because I didn’t like that either. It sucks because the reading for this class had been pretty good for most of the semester.

Next up for class is Blindness, which I read on Wikipedia doesn’t put quotation marks around dialogue and often substitutes commas for periods. I was excited for this book until I read that. Has anyone read it?

And for fun reading, I started Thirteen Reasons Why, which is really engrossing, but I’m more interested in Hannah’s part than Clay’s.

Next up for class is Blindness, which I read on Wikipedia doesn’t put quotation marks around dialogue and often substitutes commas for periods. I was excited for this book until I read that. Has anyone read it?

Saramago, right? I haven’t read it, but someone in my AP Lit class did. She said that you have to read it really carefully, or else the lack of punctuation will screw you over. Also, nobody has names. But she still said that it was a good book.

Saramago, right? I haven’t read it, but someone in my AP Lit class did. She said that you have to read it really carefully, or else the lack of punctuation will screw you over. Also, nobody has names. But she still said that it was a good book.

Yes, that’s the one. I think the story sounds interesting, but it just annoys me when authors decide they can just piss all over grammar because they are the almighty and special author. Hopefully, I will be able to look past his specialness and enjoy the book. It still maybe being a good book is encouraging though, so thanks.

I forgot that I read that nobody has names. That’s kind of annoying as well.

it just annoys me when authors decide they can just piss all over grammar because they are the almighty and special author

Urgh, me too. I think an author has an obligation to be understandable at some level- I love it when they’re complex, but there’s a difference between complexity and sheer obfuscation for the sake of being ‘literary’.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011

Currently reading A Canticle for Liebowitz. You were right, Inky; it’s awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

After finishing Death Bringer I’m trying to get back into the Tale of Genji… lady trouble a thousand years ago! Whooo…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I like the idea of Tale of Genji (what with it being the first novel and written in secret by a woman and all that jazz), but I’ve never actually read the thing.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011

I’m trying to get a hold of The Ropemaker by Peter Dickinson and Scorched by Josephine Poole, but my public library sucks. I read them ages ago, way before I even started high school, I think, but I remember both being absorbing, especially the second one. Just wondering if I would still enjoy them if I read them today.

^^ I looked up those books, and they both sound really interesting.

Starting A Streetcar Named Desire.

Book-related victory: My APEL teacher likes Game of Thrones! She hasn’t finished the series yet but she says that so far, she really enjoys it.

Book-related awkward moment: The guy next to me in my APEL class said he liked fantasy, so of course I freaked out and asked him what authors he liked. He said Christopher Paolini and Terry Brooks, which was awkward because 2 minutes before I’d said that I didn’t like Inheritance at all. But he likes Neil Gaiman too, which kind of redeemed him.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011

My APEL teacher likes Game of Thrones!

Your teacher has great taste. That’s always something to be happy about.

He said Christopher Paolini and Terry Brooks

Ooo, awkward.

But he likes Neil Gaiman too

There’s hope for him yet.

There’s hope for him yet.

I’ll see if I can convince him to read China Mieville next!

Ha ha. On the subject of China Mieville, I was reading Perdido St Station on the train, and I got to that part where those moths are mating over the city, in the process of fighting for the privilege of being the female moth that the others mate with. I swear, one of the train guy worker people was reading over my shoulder. It was very awkward, because words such as mancarrot penis and velvet glove vagina were all over the page. Not a euphemism in sight. Or perhaps I just imagined it, because after all, when you read a book like that, you start thinking those words are glowing red and everyone can see them. Very embarrassing.

Starting A Streetcar Named Desire.

We studied and performed scenes from that play for Drama last year. I had a couple of problems with it. a) I SUCK at Southern accents, and suck badly. b) it’s depressing. c) every kind of perversity and depravity imaginable is contained within this thing.

And yet it’s so readable.

You know how some books put you in a really weird mood after you finish them? A Streetcar Named Desire made me feel extremely…fragile, I guess.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011 edited

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, one of the Discworld book that I skipped before.

When I asked a librarian in the children’s section of the library for it, she squee~d and started telling me about how it was her favourite book. Why do I get a feeling that’ll be me in 10 years?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011

Ooh, I actually own the Amazing Maurice. It’s actually one of the better Discworld books.

Just read Death Note 1-8

Gonna get the rest soon, but 8 kinda sucked without 1-7 were amazing, though, so obviously I’m sticking it through until the end (besides, I DO want to know how it ends.)

I hope 9-12 suck less than 8.

And I really really wish my library had them so I can read the rest and find out what happens NOW.

PUT THE LADIES IN A SPOILER TAG NUB

Everybody already knows. Next, you’re gonna say that Edward being a vampire is a spoiler.