Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I’ve only got around a hundred and fifty pages left in ADWD, but now I’ve got the internet back, so I think it’ll take me a few days to get through the last bit.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011

I’m reading Anno Dracula and really enjoying it, in no small part because of the literature/pop culture references, such as Lord Ruthven (of John Polidori’s The Vampyre) is the PM of Dracula’s British Empire, one of the main characters attending a gathering of London criminal masterminds, including a Chinese Doctor (Fu Manchu) and a Mathematics Professor (Moriarty), and a minor appearance by an American reporter “in a rumpled white suit and a straw hat” (Carl Kolchak, best known from the TV series Kolchak: the Night Stalker).

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I’d been meaning to read it for a while, but I ended up getting it for someone else as a birthday present. Then I picked up a copy for myself, because it was just that good. I haven’t finished it yet, but I’d definitely recommend it.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011

Has anyone heard of The Somnambulist? Because I just finished, and was quite honestly, very disappointed, considering what could have been. (like that’s fair). I’ve been thinking it might be interesting/instructive to do a review on the main site though, just because what went right before going wrong.

Yeah, I want/ed to read that, Thea. You should totally review it. I’ll go read it first, then you do your review, and then we can go whine in the comments below your article.

...actually I’m still going to hold out hope that it’s good.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011

I just reread Pride and Prejudice. So much love.

Also, just reread the first few All Creatures Great and Small books. Much love too.

Mmm. I forget what the title is, but I love the one in which he meets Helen and Sigfreid (sp?) and Tristan.

• CommentTimeJul 18th 2011

That’s the original, All Creatures Great and Small. Oh, Tristan. Fun fact: the Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison, got his start playing Tristan on the BBC adaptation of All Creatures.

My mum actually bought that the other day and we watched it last night. My first taste of it all was this scene.

And now you know why I love Tristan.

Also, from some angles, he looks like Cary Elwes.

Let’s not complain about this.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011 edited

...actually I’m still going to hold out hope that it’s good.

Well, if it helps, it’s not bad. But there’s plenty to talk about…so I guess I have an assignment! (I think you’ll have plenty of time to read it Steph, it’s been awhile since I’ve tried to write something suitable for other people to read.

It’s been so long since I read All Creatures Great and Small! I still remember my mom’s old paperback, with a bright blue spine. Reread The Irish Country Doctor book/s last year, so maybe I should cycle all the way back. I watched the show with my aunt, now I want to watch it too. Wonder if it’s still on Netflix?

Let’s not complain about this.

Let’s not

Let’s really not.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011

Mmmm

I just finished 'salem's Lot.

Suprisingly happy ending . . . for King that is :D Am I the only one that thinks he looks like an older Harry Potter?

Yeah, about Salem’s Lot…

Handling the Undead is a creepy book.

• CommentTimeJul 20th 2011

They are so delightfully drunk :D :D :D

Yay for the Mad Conductor!

:) Brits. Classic.

... why are we talking about TV in the Book Thread?

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011

I’m reading The Rogue Crew. Normally, I read through those things like there won’t be a tomorrow, but I’m trying to savor this one since it’ll be the last full-length Redwall novel. sheds a single tear I even bought it in hard cover from Borders using the remaining, partially-spent gift cards I had laying around the house before Borders goes completely under.

• CommentAuthorMorvius

Any other fantasy book or series to recommend? I want to find something that can rival A Song of Ice and Fire in terms of quality and suspense. I've been reading Historical Fiction though. Pillars of the Earth was quite good.
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited

Reading ‘I Shall Wear Midnight’, which I got from the library the other day. Okay so far. Not as good as the previous ones.

And I want ‘The Rogue Crew’ soooo badly. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I finally checked out A Game of Thrones and Storm Front, just so I will no longer have to be the only one who hasn’t and can’t be told to read them all the time anymore. AGoT I haven’t started yet, but I can’t say that I’m all that impressed by SF yet. Then again, I’ve heard it doesn’t get really awesome until the fourth book. It seems to be a pretty quick read, and I’m being on my reading challenge at Goodreads.

Also, has anyone heard of Bloodthirsty? I thought it was a lot of fun. Terribly shallow, but enthusiastically so.

Watch on the Rhine by John Ringo and Tom Kratman.

Hordes of Aliens invade Earth, 'good' Aliens need our help so they give us their tech, which among other things contains re-juv technology so older veterans can be given back their youth and thrown into the fray. When the Aliens hit Germany, the government rejuves all the Waffen-SS combat vets .
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011

It’s Yr Life by Tempany Deckert and Tristan Bancks.

It’s really good. It’s realistic and it addresses a couple of issues in life. Down to earth AND IT COMBINES AMERICA AND AUSTRALIA :D

Thank God the librarian decided to put this book in the school library. Perfect for teenagers. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

IT COMBINES AMERICA AND AUSTRALIA :D

This is madness!

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I finished ‘The Rogue Crew’ a few days ago.
    Not as good as Old Redwall (up to Rakkety Tam), but better than most of New Redwall (High Rhulain onwards).

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011

This is madness!

No, this is Patrick!

Anyone read Skullduggery Pleasant? I haven’t had the chance yet, but Mum really enjoyed the first book (enough that my brother bought her the second, even though the fiurst was a library loan). More of a YA novel, but apparently really good.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011

SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT!!!

I LOVE Skulduggery Pleasant! It’s quirky and everyone should read it. Two of my best friends are even more of a fan of Skulduggery Pleasant, and they’d probably go on about it more than I would.

But I wouldn’t blame them. I mean, come on, the series has magic, original gods, some good character development, lovable characters, fiendishly funny but still chock-full of actions and it has a living skeleton as one of the main characters. So cool.

Derek Landy (the author) is refreshingly funny. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011

Oh, the joys of managing the book section. I have found a new series to dedicate myself to!

CHERUB

It’s full of excitement, spying and all that fun stuff that YA books should be about. I’ll have to borrow the second and third book tomorrow, because the shop is closed Monday and one book will not last me until Wednesday.

YAY I’M SO EXCITED.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011 edited

I remember reading a few CHERUB books and thinking they were like Alex Rider, only better. Not sure if all of them made it over to America though.

edit after reading the Wikipedia page: I guess they haven’t. I got as far as Divine Madness a few years ago, it looks like I haven’t missed much.

I’m reading The Red and the Black, by Stendhal.

totally not crushing on the main character at all. That much.

squee

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011

I bought two collections of Lovecraft’s short stories (and a really tiny one of his poems). So good.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I’m still looking for a book in the CHERUB series… can’t remember what it was, it’s been so long… It’s near the end of the series (or at least near the latest one out).

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Pfft, I don’t read books as they come out. That would be the trendy thing to do. We don’t have all the books at the shop, so I’ll have to get some of them out of the library.

I’m still looking for a book in the CHERUB series

Hold on one little minute there. These books are meant to be 12+, missie. :P

thinking they were like Alex Rider, only better.

I wouldn’t say better, honestly, different. But the author seems to forget that his main character is 12.

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly

But the author seems to forget that his main character is 12.

OH GOD YES.

• CommentAuthorNo One

These books are meant to be 12+, missie

Dude, I’m 14. I’m pretty sure 14 is a little older than 12.

Read a handful of Doctor Who books (EarthWorld, Anachrophobia, City of the Dead) this week. Wish that Fitz was a companion on the series proper.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Dude, I’m 14. I’m pretty sure 14 is a little older than 12.

Last time I knew you were 12, and “it’s been so long…” implies a little longer than two years. :P

Wish that Fitz was a companion on the series proper.

OHGOD, I couldn’t stand him. Drove me up the bloody wall.

OHGOD, I couldn’t stand him. Drove me up the bloody wall.

I thought he was cool… :| And I’m starting to buy the idea that his jacket winds up being worn by the 9th Doctor as some kind of memento.

Thought Anji was pretty good too. You can see a bit of Martha and Donna in her.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Ok, confession time. I’ve only read Earthworld… and I didn’t finish it because I had no clue what was going on, I wasn’t enjoying the story or any of the characters.

Maybe I need a new perspective – which is his best book?

Can’t say that the 3 I’ve read do anything for Fitz, so don’t really know.

And yeah, EarthWorld didn’t make a lick of sense. In fact, all of the EDAs I’ve read seem to run on some bizarre Douglas Adams logic. It’s like the BBC was recruiting drug addicts for the writing staff.

No One, are you really 14? I thought… well, I thought you were eleven. And that you were amazingly mature.

I don’t know how I got that.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

If No One wants to be 14, leave it be.

I mean, it doesn’t really matter right? Misconceptions are fantastic things on forums.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011 edited

And yeah, EarthWorld didn’t make a lick of sense.

Oh thank goodness. I thought it was me – I mean, I picked up the book and felt I was dumped in the middle of an ongoing story – the Doctor has amnesia, these companions I hadn’t heard of and a weird park that didn’t make sense. I’m not a regular reader of oldWho books, but ones I have read I’ve generally managed to pick up as I go. The King of Terror was a good one, if a little depressing.

Did you know/do you remember the BBC had a bunch of oldWho free eBooks up on the DW website a while back? Including Human Nature (Paul Cornell’s original). THEY TOOK THEM DOWN. I am so disappointed, I stupidly didn’t download them all.

If No One wants to be 14, leave it be.

“wants to be”? No, it’s a case of me not keeping track of time. I still think Puppet’s 12, and if I engage my brain, I remember that he isn’t anymore. Heck, I still think Spanman is either 13 or 16.

@Steph, because you’re as bad as me. :D

• CommentAuthorMegaB

I am so disappointed, I stupidly didn’t download them all.

If you need a book, I have access to the largest online book catalogue in the world via IRC. I can get them for you if you want. Of course, I urge you to pay for things if you can. o<

Heck, I still think Spanman is either 13 or 16.

Hoho, a 13 year old university student. Now that would be interesting! I think you’re time-travelling (read=time difference) is affecting your judgement Jeni!. You need a guitar like Bill and Ted.

“wants to be”? No, it’s a case of me not keeping track of time. I still think Puppet’s 12, and if I engage my brain, I remember that he isn’t anymore. Heck, I still think Spanman is either 13 or 16.

Aww, Jeni, THIS. The people I have the most problem with remembering age are Puppet and SWQ (oddly enough).

• CommentAuthorNo One

Last time I knew you were 12, and “it’s been so long…” implies a little longer than two years. :P

Oh… ‘it’s been so long…” does not mean two years or longer (for me). Last time I picked up a CHERUB book was near the beginning of this year. I love reading, and not being able to read the next book in the series as soon as I finish the last book drives me mad, but the hell called school prevented me from reading as much as I would’ve liked.

No One, are you really 14?

Yes, I’m really 14.

Yes, I’m really 14.

Well grins sheepishly thanks for clearing that up :D

but the hell called school prevented me from reading as much as I would’ve liked.

Gets worse.

• CommentAuthorNo One

sigh I know, it’s already getting worse.

Anyway, the original reason why I came to this thread: what do you think of 2012?

The people I have the most problem with remembering age are Puppet and SWQ (oddly enough).

Wait, how old do you think I am?

Book related: AP Lit! Oh my god it’s been two (and a half) days and I already love this class. We get to pick what books to read and write a 15 page journal. I’m doing Lolita, because I really wanted to reread it. :)

Wait, how old do you think I am?

Lol, I do know how old you are, I just keep thinking you’re fifteen because that’s the age you were when we met. The thing I forget to remember is that I’ve always been a year older than you :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Eh, I always forget how old everyone is. I just sort of assume everyone is somewhere between mid-teens and twenty-something.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011

If you need a book, I have access to the largest online book catalogue in the world via IRC. I can get them for you if you want.

No. This goes for all forms, but I will make this clear now:

I consider book piracy to be absolutely wrong.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011 edited

Agreed. Books are sacred, man. (well, published ones. self-published is a different story). Besides, reading on a screen is for hipsters and internet-addicts.

Project Gutenberg is the exception, because there’s often no other way for most people to access them.

JENI I LOVE YOU. LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Good, good and more good.

I shall smile for the rest of today.

Taku, what’s Project Gutenberg?

Besides, reading on a screen is for hipsters and internet-addicts.

And it hurts the eyes. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Project Gutenberg

A massive collection of texts (all formats, including one available for eReaders) that are out of copyright – a good way of reading the classics.

Ooh, I didn’t know that existed! :)

Unfortunately, my computer is so clunky, I wouldn’t be able to read anywhere I wanted. Also, I hate not having a way to bookmark where I am.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

You need an Apple Device of a Kindle SWQ. Best bit of money you can spend, just for Gutenburg!

Currently reading The Phoenix Conspiracy by Richard Sanders.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Heck, I still think Spanman is either 13 or 16.

I just saw this. But it made me giggle.

You know what? I guess I was actually twelve or thirteen when we first vaguely encountered each other… Land sakes, it’s been a long time.

You need an Apple Device of a Kindle SWQ. Best bit of money you can spend, just for Gutenburg!

But I don’t really like reading long pieces on the screen. It’s just uncomfortable for me. Also, I like books. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011

You know what? I guess I was actually twelve or thirteen when we first vaguely encountered each other… Land sakes, it’s been a long time.

You’ve mostly been promoted to “age 16” now. :D

• CommentAuthorMegaB

It’s just uncomfortable for me. Also, I like books. :)

Hmm, well there is that, though the Kindle screen is as un-screen-like as can be, purposefully for people like you!

But yeah, I totally understand that.

•  
      CommentAuthorNinjaCat

I don’t like the Kindle. It’s too light.

Speaking of light, I just finished the extended edition of Stephen King’s “The Stand.” I’m going to start re-reading it at school on Thursday and tell people that it’s just a bit of light reading. =D I love that book.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011

Oh dearie me, a Hermione-wannabe!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011

NinjaCat, The Stand has nothing on The Duncton Chronicles. We have a copy of the entire thing, hilariously bound into a single physics-defying hardback.

Just listened to Bean read Jonathon Livingston Seagull out loud.

shudder

Now I remember why I hate that book so much.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011

You’ve mostly been promoted to “age 16” now. :D

I can be cool with that. :D

I miss reading Flowers for Algernon. I’ve only read one little bit of it since school started, and that was the night of the first day of school. :(

Am currently trying out a Georgette Heyer murder mystery, because I have no idea what my sister is going to do once she’s read the last five books on her Agatha Christie list. She might explode if I don’t find something to stall her before I can find an author with more mysteries to his/her name,and I’m hoping Heyer is the next link in the chain. So far, so good. Any suggestions? (Set in the early 20th century is best, a minimum of language and sexual themes a must.)

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011

Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer? It was pretty good.

There are a couple of sci fi mysteries I’m currently reading, but it’s all spaceships and stuff as well so she might not like it as much. The mystery stuff is top-notch though.

Eh, it wasn’t really my cup of tea, and it’s not the sort I’m looking for. The characters are too young. We’re talking glamourous twenty year-old flappers, here. Sorry to shoot you down, bro.

Isaac Asimov’s robot mysteries (Caves of Steel and that other one) were amazing.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Oh, not a young-adult then?

Hmm, Bourne Trilogy was amazing. A bazillion times better than the films. Maybe too much action?

How about Stieg Larsson? He’s written some pretty awesome stuff.

Bourne sounds interesting. I’m not sure how action-y she likes it, but no harm in trying, eh?

As for Larsson, I think she’s read him. The first book at least.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Hmm, Bourne Trilogy was amazing. A bazillion times better than the films.

I read Bourne Identity and it made me want to rip my hair out. I suppose some parts of it could have been better than the film, but so much of it, mostly relating to Marie, was so bad that I couldn’t see past it.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

I suppose some parts of it could have been better than the film, but so much of it, mostly relating to Marie, was so bad that I couldn’t see past it.

Marie becomes possibly the best character in the series in the second book. She was too understanding/perfect in the first. It does get a lot better on that front.

Then again, Ludlum was not a psychology expert no matter how much he tried to be. He was much better at writing an espionage intrigue than anything else. The third book was amazing, in terms of the set up and the way he handled it.

I miss reading Flowers for Algernon.

I love that book so much! :D

Found The Satanic Bible by Anton Lavey. Wasn’t reallly up to what I was expecting, so didn’t buy it.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011 edited

^^

"Adding to that, Project Gutenberg Australia is a good site":http://gutenberg.net.au/

"And my personal favorite, every Conan and Soloman Kane story that Robert E. Howard ever wrote":http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterH

They're suprisingly readable and easy on the eyes if you open them in HTML.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011

I just bought the final Alex Rider book, which is curious because I thought Crocodile Tears was meant to be the last. I mean, I saw it when it was released and it made my brain go “huh?” but I mostly ignored it until now.

I think I must be in the mood for snotty teenage super spies at the moment.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011

I thought about buying it today, but it’s still in only hardback and I can’t justify spending that much on it. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011

Still! For shame. :( When’s it released in paperback?

Oh, Alex Rider. King of convenient past experiences that prepare you for problems now. He drove me insane.

I didn’t mind Point Blanc, though. That was creepy enough for me to overlook its protagonist,

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011 edited

I’M IN LOVE WITH IT ALL.

D:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

ME TOO.

:D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I read all of the Alex Rider books up to… I think the one before the one before the one you guys are talking about. I liked them, but I quit reading for two reasons. One, at that time, there weren’t any others out. And two, too many plot contrivances. Going to space may have been what made it jump the shark for me.

I’ll check the next time at the library, though, and if they have the new ones, I’ll probably check them out. :D I did like the books, even if they did get kind of contrived at times.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

You sound like you think the contrived nature of the books is a problem?

Hmmmmmm.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

That’s the whole reason I read them.

And Alex’s sexy one-liners.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

I’ve read all of them, they’re a big part of my childhood as was Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter and Eragon.

And Jeni, the ending is really sad, at least, I really wanted to rage at Horowitz for what he did.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011 edited

I’ve read all of them, they’re a big part of my childhood

Heh.

And Jeni, the ending is really sad, at least, I really wanted to rage at Horowitz for what he did.

SHUT UP YOU DIRTY SPOILER WHORE. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Hohohoho.

I’m sure you knew that already though, especially if you read the blurb.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

NO BE QUIET.

I haven’t even read the blurb. I don’t want to spoil anything. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Me neither.

You dirty spoiler whore.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hmmmmmm.

Good point.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011

...You don’t read the blurb?

However will you know what you’re about to read, whether it’s good or not?

Unless you’re all book-reading machines. Well, if you are, I really can’t talk because I used to read absolutely anything I could get my hands on when I was younger. I must’ve read half the books in my school library.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

However will you know what you’re about to read, whether it’s good or not?

Because it’s an established series that I already enjoy. I’m going to read it whether it’s good or bad.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

I see.

I suppose that’s logical. I would still read the blurb anyway, but maybe that’s just me.

Right well, I apologise Jeni.

Just read Herbert Mason’s rendition of The Epic of Gilgamesh this morning. It’s really short.

Currently halfway through the lyrical beauty (hurr hurr hurr) that is Seamus Heaney’s translation of Beowulf.