Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011

(Spoilers are hidden)

I didn’t like Deathly Hallows for one reason, and only one reason:

Gets me every time. Not to mention how

Also, I’m still stuck on Order of the Phoenix. It always traps me. I could finish all the books in less than a week if OotP wasn’t there. I don’t know why, just is so.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I have never been able to go back and reread them :(

I think this fits, but I just finished City of Bones for a group recap. It is so much worse than people give it credit for.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Well, it’s brain-candy. Plus, the twists and surprises caught me off-guard.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Well, it’s brain-candy.

Oh, that’s true. But as soon as I started reading closely it really annoyed me. My fault.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Well, you do have a point there. After all, this book is pure brain candy for me, which I happily read instead of other books because I was a little stressed out and busy with dealing with high school work, but when you look closely, it’s not all that great. I mean, in City of Fallen Angels, there was two glaringly obvious mistakes that could’ve been picked up by the editor and the author herself.

They were pretty much Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The whole time I was reading City of Fallen Angels, I just kept waiting for a plot to develop until, bam, right at the end, like forty things happen in quick succession.

Seems I’ve caused a disturbance in the force due to publically admitting Hallow-hate.
    If you like (or even love) it, by all means. We all have our different opinions.

I myself hated it because of:
    1 – camping forever
    2 – cool characters dying in undignified ways.

3 – the sappy epilogue
    4 – wizards behaving like muggles (Snatchers tying the trio up by hand, Bellatrix using a knife, etc.)
    5 – Harry not being shocked a disillusioned upon learning about Dumbledore’s past.
    6 – Harry pretty much not doing anything (almost anytime the trio has to do magic, it’s Hermione. You’d swear Harry is a 1st year.)
    7 – the rest of the wizarding world pretty much not doing anything (hosting a radio show doesn’t count as “fighting bravely against teh Evulz”)
    8 – canon rules suddenly changing/getting ignored (don’t argue, you know it’s there)
    9 – Neville and the DA doing awesomely badass stuff off-screen. Couldn’t JK have switched POV just for this one last book, since everything is vastly different due to the war and such?

Those are my main complaints.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian

9 – Neville and the DA doing awesomely badass stuff off-screen.

I agree with this, especially the Neville part.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011 edited

Maybe someone should write a fan-fic where Neville joins the British SAS.

Who Dares Wins, indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian

What’s the SAS?

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

@No One

Honestly, I just didn’t like the characters, like how Clary never really concerned about other people, forgetting them in favor of pretty Jace, and he was just a jerk. Also, when I set the book down after chapter 8, I found the constant metaphors annoying, but when I picked it up again, they enraged me so bad I nearly threw the book across the room. That was weird and extreme, even for me. Seriously, overnight. I have no idea why.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011 edited

@ Cadaver.

My original reply got eaten by the computer when the power cut out.

Anyways. . .

The SAS is one of the British Army's Special Forces Units it was founded in WWII by a British Lieutenant named David Stirling, its job was to operate deep in enemy lines without getting caught and conduct a variety of special operations, like sabotage, working with guerillas, etc.

It was disbanded in 1946 and refounded to deal with the terrorist and insurgent movements that flared up during the decolonization period.

Its job is Special Operations in War and Counter-Terrorism during peacetime, it's a highly trained unit with an incredibly grueling training program.

It's motto is: "Who Dares Wins." And it has a Winged Dagger with Scroll that has the Unit's motto behind the blade of the Dagger.

The SAS also helped Australia found its SASR and cross-trains with the Australian SASR.

Besides both Theaters of WWII the SAS was also involved in the 1956 Suez Crisis, Indonesia, in Oman, in The Malaya Emergency, in Vietnam, in The Troubles, the Iranian Embassy Hostage Rescue, Operation Desert Storm and the War in Iraq and Afghanistan.

US Army Special Forces Officer's Charles Beckwith and Arthur 'Bull' Simons were both Operational and commanded units in the British SAS and Beckwith founded the US Army's 1st Special Forces Operational Detatchment-Delta as a sort of American SAS, Delta even has a Winged Dagger with a Scroll for its symbol.

"Badass of Week Email about the British SAS":http://badassoftheweek.com/email-sas.html

"The British SAS":http://www.eliteukforces.info/special-air-service/

"An article about two Delta Operators and Mogadishu":http://badassoftheweek.com/gordonandshughart.html

I agree with the one about Neville. He was pretty damn awesome and needed more pagetime.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011

OK, I know it’s been said eighty bajillion times before, but I have to ask: What was with the epilogue? Seriously. I don’t give a hoot in hades what they named their children or who’s snogging whom. I just don’t. I wanted to find out what they all did with their lives. Hermione was the Greatest Wizard of Her Age TM or some such thing, but we don’t find out what she does? I mean, what does Harry Potter do? Did he become an auror? And don’t tell me that I need to spend money on the encyclopedia because that isn’t how this should work.

Also

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I still hold the opinion that Harry should have died. I’d have been fine with everyone else getting a happy ending, but Harry should have died a horrible death, then stayed dead. I have nothing against him (well, not that much), but the story would only feel right to me if Harry died, then Voldemort exploded… or was taken down by all of Harry’s allies united by the Power of Friendship.

I also agree on the point of killing off characters. Each character’s death has to have meaning, and emotionally impact the reader past ‘They’re gone now? What?!’. The last section of the book could have been far more poignant if Rowling had taken more time to examine each character’s individual struggle. Neville, especially. So awesome, yet so ignored.

The book was already obscenely long, but felt padded, amirite? A section about Neville or even Snape would’ve made the characters a lot more 3 dimensional and would have made it more entertaining. Even if it would’ve gotten rid of the big reveal about Snape and such.

My class just finished reading Catcher in the Rye, and I was interested by the extremely divided reaction. Personally, I really enjoyed the book and even though Holden was hypocritical, whiny, and self-destructive, I saw a lot of myself in him, which made me accept him despite his flaws. A lot of people thought the book had ‘no point’, but I actually disagree. Maybe I’m applying from my own life, but I thought the book was highly relevant, at least to me. There was a lot of that reflection and conflict over identity, human connection, and adulthood that I found myself making on my own before even reading the book. It was really nice to see that someone else, even someone fictional, was getting screwed over by it too.

Thoughts?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I felt kind of the same way as you. Yeah, Holden is self-destructive and all that, but that’s kind of the point. He’s like an extreme version of everyone that has ever been a teenager, certainly including myself. People who think there’s no point to it… I have to wonder if they just can’t see how similar they are to him?

I didn’t read it until I was a senior, so maybe that had something to do with it (because I was nearly done with high school and was more mature than I was in 9th grade… which isn’t saying much, considering me! :D).

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011 edited

@People complaining about HP7: You are all wrong.

Except for the prologues and that one bit in the Quidditch match in Book 1(before the template was firmly established), the series was entirely from Harry’s point of view, and it needed to stay that way. Breaking the style would’ve been a terrible choice. It would’ve undermined the confusion and aimlessness that Harry was feeling during the forest chapters(which aren’t nearly as long as everybody complains about) that you as the reader are supposed to feel along with him if you could step away from him and go follow the more “exciting” story. It’s supposed to be frustrating.

I also don’t think Neville would seem half as badass to the reader if his exploits had actually appeared on-page. Having him appear at the climax as a confident, competent version of himself is so jarring compared to our previous experiences with the character that it makes the revelation awesome, and leaving most of the DA’s resistance to the reader’s imagination gives it a mythic quality it couldn’t have if you’d actually seen it. It’s like an effective horror movie, in that sense.

I also agree on the point of killing off characters. Each character’s death has to have meaning, and emotionally impact the reader past ‘They’re gone now? What?!’. The last section of the book could have been far more poignant if Rowling had taken more time to examine each character’s individual struggle. Neville, especially. So awesome, yet so ignored.

Completely disagree. Dying offscreen was a way to show how, despite Harry’s “chosen one” status, the whole conflict was bigger than just him. Lupin and Tonks and them were fighting and dying while Harry was doing his other stuff because they existed outside of him, as their own beings. If each death had occurred by Harry, that’d reduce them to little more than emotionally manipulative props.

He’s like an extreme version of everyone that has ever been a teenager, certainly including myself. People who think there’s no point to it… I have to wonder if they just can’t see how similar they are to him?

Yep, there’s nothing like perspective, huh?

@sansa
    Yes! To everything you said!

...Also, I liked the epilogue, not because I like happy endings but because, as someone else said, the characters went through so much crap and horribleness throughout the books that the survivors deserved a happy ending. I was glad that they got it and glad to know that despite everything, life went on and they were mostly okay. The only problem I had with it was that I didn’t really like what they named their kids for the most part. That’s not really a huge gripe though.

I do agree that I would’ve liked to know what they did with their lives and such, but I probably will buy that encyclopedia whenever it comes out, so….

@NP and sansa:
    You’re entitled to your opinions, of course.

The world would be hideously boring if we all agreed on everything. But I still suggest that you read gehayi’s spork of DH – you can find a link to her profile on das mervin’s sporking homepage.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011

Finally finished Storm of Swords. Here’s a few final thoughts:

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011

I’m reading “A Lady of the West” by Linda Howard.

For the lulz.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011

@Apep:

Going to pick up the beginning of the ASOIAF series from the library, since I read them awhile ago and I want to be up on everything for the release of A Dance With Dragons. It’ll be slightly weird since I just finished A Feast for Crows a few weeks ago, but if anything I think I’ll be able to appreciate the series more with a better understanding of the cause-and-effect.

@Klutor
    You said that DH breaks canon. I’m currently rereading the series, and I don’t remember that right now. I’m not disputing it, but could you say how? I’m just curious.

Starting Siddhartha for AP Lit summer reading.

@NP

Mainly there’s the wand thing, which JK put in in order to have her whole Hallows-thing. For 6 books we’ve known this one thing about wands; they choose their masters. Right?
    Which is why Ollivander was all spooked back in Book 1 when Harry was chosen by the “brother” of the very wand that Voldy used “to give you that scar”.

Come DH:

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
    There are a bunch of other mistakes, too, that I didn’t notice – even after going through the book twice – that gehayi pounced upon in her spork. I’ll look up the link for you.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011

@SWQ – What do you think of it?

@Klutor

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@Northmark

So I just realized that on amazon it says ADwD comes out in July. If this is true, (and honestly, I’ll believe it when I see it) then I am so excited.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Just pre-ordered Snuff, the new Discworld book! I kinda had to, after watching that excellent Terry Pratchett video Taku posted a link to. Besides, I had a Barnes and Noble gift card.

@ swenson: I’ve decided not to start it until I finished Lolita, which I’m nearly done with…I should be starting it on Thursday crosses fingers

@NP:

I try not to bash DH too much, even though I hated it, cause I loved the other six books so much. OotP, in particular, was my favorite… although I personally think that its movie was the worst adaptation of them all.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011

@Klutor: I didn’t keep up with all the points you and NP made, but in response to point number 2

OotP, in particular, was my favorite… although I personally think that its movie was the worst adaptation of them all.

For this, I forgive you for hating DH. :)

I love OotP. It’s also the first one that I read, and the movie just made me angry. Longest book translates to shortest movie… yeah, okay.

Plus, they left out the twins “accio brooms” scene, which I was really looking forward to when I read the book.

@RandomX2:

But then Draco was the wrench in the works, and disarmed Dumbledore against his will, leading to his death.

I will admit, though, that the scene where Harry took the wand from Draco was pretty good. Draco was a douche, so I always wanted him to die, get maimed or at least go to Azkaban… but Harry speartackling him like a pissed-off muggle in DH was still made of win.

In OotP, I don’t think someone being disarmed in a friendly practice match would count as being defeated.

I wasn’t just talking about that – I was talking about just before the climax, when Umbridge and her band of Slytherinish Inquisitors (which nobody expected!) disarmed half the DA… and then the rest show up and give each of them his/her own wand back.

For this, I forgive you for hating DH. :)

Aww

It’s also the first one that I read

Same here. I read them in the order 5-4-3-1-2-6-7. Long story.

Longest book translates to shortest movie…

Horrible. There is no justice in the world.

Plus, they left out the twins “accio brooms” scene, which I was really looking forward to when I read the book.

They also left out “Give her hell from us, Peeves” cause Peeves is apparently not cool enough to be allowed to exist in the movieverse. They also left out Percy and his letter, and Harry & Ron reacting to it.
    They also left out the practical exam, where Harry had to engorge a rat and accidentally turned it bright orange (or was it the other way around?). Not important to the plot, maybe, but it was really funny.

Same here. I read them in the order 5-4-3-1-2-6-7. Long story.

Well, my order wasn’t quite that erratic. It was 5-1-2-3-4-6-7. I only read the fifth one first because I had seen the first two movies and heard on some show that someone important died in the fifth book, which was just coming out. To my surprise, the person who died hadn’t even been introduced in the first two movies. It was still awesome though (the book, not the death), and it got me into HP.

^I read 5 first because it was the first one I got my hands on.

Knew spoilers for 1 and 3 by that time, though. Also, the person who died in 5 got a lot of decent and realistic characterization in there, making the death extra tragic.

Nearing the end of the first volume of the Baroque Cycle, and I kind of want to drop it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

Got the first volume of The Sandman. I am excite.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

Just finished reading Fight Club. Good book, but I haven’t seen the movie, so I don’t know how it compares.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I finished Waterslain Angels a while ago; it was charming, but nothing too special about it. Sadly, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it when I was ten. I can’t say that for most of Kevin Crossley-Holland’s writing—he’s one of the best children’s authors I’ve ever read, and I enjoy most of his body of work even more now that I’m all grown up.

I picked up The King of Elfland’s Daughter and I am thoroughly enjoying it. This is probably Lord Dunsany’s most well-known work, but I’ve only ever read his short stories and plays. It’ll be nice to see how his wit and dreaminess translate into novel form.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I can’t say that for most of Kevin Crossley-Holland’s writing—he’s one of the best children’s authors I’ve ever read, and I enjoy most of his body of work even more now that I’m all grown up.

I know that I enjoyed The Seeing Stone (the only one in that series I’ve gotten around to rereading) just as much, if not more, than I did when I was younger.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011

I finished Ender’s Game and Speaker for the Dead. Currently reading Ender’s Shadow. I thought Ender’s Game was quite good, Speaker for the Dead had some strange parts but wasn’t bad, I still enjoyed it. As for Ender’s Shadow... I haven’t finished it yet but so far there have been several parts where I’ve just wanted to throw the book against the wall.

Started Brave New World yesterday for AP Lit…I had tons of time to read standing in line for FotR. :D

Gremlins fighting Nazis?

WHY WASN’T I TOLD THIS BEFORE??? (must find a copy of the book)

^^I saw a Disney cartoon version of that in my high school government and civics class.

I finished Goblet of Fire last night, and I just finished watching the movie. I have a little over three weeks to read/watch the last three. I also need to figure out what I’m wearing to Deathly Hallows Part 2.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011

Started Brave New World yesterday for AP Lit…

<3 !!

I actually made a decision at the bookshop today! It was terribly exciting. I had £15 of book vouchers which had been sitting in my wallet for yonks. I was going to use them to buy three Percy Jackson books (3 for 2), but my Inner Self yelled at me to think long term and get books I knew I wanted to keep – so chose Solzhenitsyn’s Cancer Ward and Michael Grant’s Hunger.

I also thought it would be funny to buy some childrens lit alongside some Russian lit.

...yes, I have a weird sense of humour.

(On which note, my collection of da Vinci Code‘s has reached 10! Such a proud milestone. <3)

Finished Brave New World...I really liked it, although I did not sympathize completely with John (the Savage) and I think some of the points I got out of the book might not have been what Huxley was trying to get across.

Now I will start Camus’ The Stranger.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011 edited

Now I will start Camus’ The Stranger.

<3 <3 <3 <3 !!

I’m sure I have something more to say about those books other than how much I like them.

Ahem, ok, The Stranger is great. Been a while since I last read it, but all I remember is a deep sense of GUH at the end. Only read that and The Plague, which I didn’t enjoy as much, but still good.

Sorry, Jeni, but I didn’t like ‘The Stranger’ much at all. Funnily enough, I do like existentialism (I know this book is ‘absurdist’, but whatever) but the whole ‘NOTHING MATTERS!’ spiel at the end really turned me off. However, the prose was really nice (or at least the translation was).

last thing I read was Animorphs number 12 and I’m waaaaiting for the next one to come in. Stupid slow library. Also, I’m bracing myself for when the ghost-writers show up. I’m afraid that the series is going to go from awesome to sucky.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011

Sorry, Jeni, but I didn’t like ‘The Stranger’ much at all.

D: Aww. I would try and discuss it, but it genuinely has been a while since I read it. Hahah.

I’m afraid that the series is going to go from awesome to sucky.

There are some dodgy ones, but the gems makes up for them. :3

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011

Just finished reading ‘The Book of Sir Tristram de Lyonesse’ from Le Morte D’Arthur, and I have a few things to say:

First: Tristram is a Stu of the highest caliber. He’s established as basically the best knight in the world (except for Lancelot, of course), a fact that just about everyone makes a point of mentioning, but is otherwise so flat as to be almost two-dimentional, and literally anyone who knowingly opposes him is ‘evil’, even when they’re in the right.*

Example: King Mark of Cornwall. Never mind that Tristram was screwing around with his wife behind his back**, and then runs off with her, Mark’s the bad guy for wanting to kill him.

The same goes for Palomides (another knight in love with Isode), who gets called out for switching armor with another knight so he can fight Tristram, when Tristram did pretty much the same thing the day before so he could fight other knights in secret. I’d go into how the Orkney clan (Gawain and his brothers) get the same treatment, but they don’t get as much focus.

Second: Some of the side characters don’t get nearly enough time devoted to them. Admittedly, this might be the fault of the woman who did the abridging, but still. Take Dinadan, for example: a decent knight, with a sense of humor, who actually avoids fighting whenever possible, actually recognizes other knight’s by their faces, and points out that the whole ‘romance’ thing is kinda overrated.

What about Palomides? When he gets to do his big speech to Tristram, I felt sorry for the guy. He’s basically the decent guy who never gets the girl, because she’s too focused on Tristram to bother with Palomides. Even the morally questionable things he does are because he’s jealous of Tristram.

TL:DR: I’m feeling sick of Malory, so I’m taking a break from it.

*Yes, I know le Morte D’Arthur was written around 1470, and well-rounded characters were almost non-existent in literature, but given that Malory wasn’t exactly a shining example of knighthood himself, he could have potentially added a little depth to some of these characters.

**Yes, I am aware that pretty much the only reason Tristram and Isode get together is because of a magic love potion, but that just makes it worse. Now they don’t even have the argument of it being ‘tru wuv’ to cover it – their relationship is based on entirely artificial feelings.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011

TL:DR: I’m feeling sick of Malory, so I’m taking a break from it.

I remember reading Malory back, oh, five years ago now almost (I am SO OLD) back in college and couldn’t stop conceptualizing it as fanfiction-y. Some day I’ll have to go back and read it properly, but I just could help it.

A Dance With Dragons is getting highly positive initial reviews, but there’s no possible way for me to get my hands on the first four books AND finish them before it comes out when I’m at camp.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011

I placed my library request for A Dance With Dragons on February 18th 2009. I’m 97 out of 358 in the wait list, but it shouldn’t be too long before I get it.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011 edited

I’ve been searching for a copy of Einstein’s Dreams by Alan Lightman for a while; I couldn’t find it in any bookstores and the request list for it at the library is pretty long. But lo and behold, I found a brand new copy jammed in a corner of the sci fi club library while I was shelving books. I’m about halfway through it and I love it! For anyone who feels like they’re lacking for inspiration right now, I think I’ve found a cure :)

I finished my Oder of the Phoenix reread yesterday. I didn’t remember how angsty Harry was. Or Sirius for that matter.

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011

Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell. These Historical Fiction books are rather interesting.

Re-discovered Flowers for Algernon. The last time I read it I was about 10, so this time around I’m able to enjoy it much more. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

I’m starting on Temeraire. I’ve heard a little about this series, and it sounds interesting, but is it any good? Has anyone here read it?

Nate. Nate. And Nate.

Seriously, he’s devoted to that series, and he’s probably your go-to guy for information.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011

Aw, I read it too! (although I think that might have been because of Nate, come to think of it) But it was good, Miel!

I just read Never Let Me Go by that Japanese guy whose name I can’t pronounce. Kazugo Ishuguro or something?

Anyway. It kept me up really, really late. It’s been a long time since a book did that to me, and while I wasn’t constantly guessing what was going to happen next and the final part felt a bit like there was too much information at once to take in, it did the job,and pulled a great … well, it wasn’t exactly a twist, but whatever it was, it was well-executed. Awesome book, and while it’s never going to be one of my all-time favourites, I think everyone should read it once.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011

A Dance With Dragons is in my hands!

Review forthcoming!

I’m reading Second Act Trouble: Behind the Scenes at Broadway’s Biggest Flops because I am just so cool.

Finished a couple John Green books, and I’m now starting up The Brothers Karamazov.

I’m now starting up The Brothers Karamazov.

I LOVE YOU.

Wait, I thought you didn’t swing that way?

Wait, I thought you didn’t swing that way?

I have my cake and eat it to. Or rather, I swing both ways. :D

Well, okay then :)

cough Now that we’re done discussing my sexuality….back to books.

I picked up The Stand by Stephen King at Rite Aid and I’m reading that. It doesn’t suck so far. I hope this book actually has a decent ending…for once.

Erm, sorry. Anyway, I hope you’re not disappointed.

Erm, sorry. Anyway, I hope you’re not disappointed.

I love King, but his endings suck.

Also, I’m back from my Library book sale and I bought Misery, which is my all time favourite King novel ever. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011

Finishing up with Rick Riordan’s The Red Pyramid. Nowhere near as good as Percy Jackson, it’s a shame, he seems to have lost his wit, which was something I thoroughly enjoyed in the Percy Jackson series.

But it’s still good fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I was disappointed with The Red Pyramid too, Jeni, as well as The Lost Hero, which is a sequel of sorts to the rest of the Percy Jackson series. Percy’s POV was what I loved about Riordan’s books, and without that there’s just not much luster to them.

I just finished The Help by Kathryn Sockett, and I just found out there’s a film of it coming out this summer! I am excited, because the book was fantastic, and I think the cast will be a good fit.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian

Rereading Gone with the Wind.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011 edited

Percy’s POV was what I loved about Riordan’s books, and without that there’s just not much luster to them

Hurrah! It’s not just me! It doesn’t help that I find Sadie’s voice absolutely impossible at times. I mean, I appreciate that he’s trying to give her a different/British voice – but it is so freakin’ jarring in the pace of the story that it doesn’t work a lot of the time. And, omg, it is bleedingly obvious he’s an American trying to do British, it’s just painful.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Why do we even try? It’s depressing sometimes.

In related news, I was re-watching some MI-5 today, and I find it hilarious that pretty every single time an American (or pretend American, grrr) shows up, they end up being a baddie.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Why do we even try? It’s depressing sometimes.

I’m pretty sure I would be equally pants with writing an American. :D

It would be pretty much the character saying y’all every ten words.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Well no one else has come up with a better second person plural.

sometimes I say y’all

sometimes I say y’all and I’m not even American

Ahem, anyway. Jeni, considering the sheer amount of American material any English-speaking person gets exposed to, I’m not sure you would fail at writing from an American POV. (I refuse to say ‘pants’.)

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian

I never say y’all and I’m American and live in the deep south

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

To be fair, when I do say it it’s usually with some sense of irony. Missouri has got it’s share of rural lingo, but I’m from the city, dammit!

Also, I have said trousers maybe twice in my entire life. Pants is just so reassuringly casual.

There are no cities in Missouri.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011

My mom is going to buy me a maximum of five books tomorrow. What should I get? I can’t think of anything and my list of books that I want has mysteriously disappeared and I can’t recall anything besides Dragonheart, so any ideas? (Except series because I have to read the first one via the library because it’s okay if I get buy just one dud but it’s terrible if I waste my money – and my parent’s – on a full series of books that I don’t like.) > 3>

You could get all of ASoIaF with that!

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011 edited

OH WAIT LOL

I don’t know when the bookstore restocks so I’ll probably only get the first one, then.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

There are no cities in Missouri.

Just because we share both our major cities with other states doesn’t mean you can be a bully. D:<

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Ahem, anyway. Jeni, considering the sheer amount of American material any English-speaking person gets exposed to, I’m not sure you would fail at writing from an American POV.

Yes, I would. I don’t understand a lot of Americanisms – y’all is the first example that comes to mind. Sometimes it feels like a (easy) foreign language I just happen to be fluent in. The same with Australian, it took me a while to switch to using capsicum, kumara, long black, flat white, etc. – and those are the non-stereotyping differences.

(I refuse to say ‘pants’.)

That entirely depends on the context – English use ‘pants’ as in underpants. It’s most commonly used to refer to boys underwear, in contrast, ‘knickers’ is used for girls. There is a certain degree of American language influence on any language, but ‘pants’ is hardly the best example of that.

Besides, ‘pants’ is British slang for ‘rubbish’.

I never say y’all and I’m American and live in the deep south

JOLLY GOOD. I hate it, not sure why. Just makes me cringe.

Correct me if I’m wrong, Jeni, but I find that American authors trying to write British tend to overuse ‘bloody’, ‘bleeding’ and ‘prat’ (as well as other quintessentially British slang words). Unless someone has lived a substantial amount of time in either place, I don’t think they really have the right to try to fake the other. Contrastingly, I tend to use a lot of British spellings, but I’m fairly sure that’s because I lived a while in Europe.
    Anyway, just some observations.
    I feel like I should be at least a little on topic:
    I’m reading A Dance with Dragons (I’m about 160-ish pages in) and it’s pretty great. However, I think it would have been a good idea to have re-read the series before starting this one, seeing as I’ve forgotten a few plot points. Whoops…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

but I find that American authors trying to write British tend to overuse ‘bloody’, ‘bleeding’ and ‘prat’ (as well as other quintessentially British slang words).

OH GOD JUST A BIT.

And that’s the problem, because those sorts of insults are “quintessentially British” it obscures regional differences/dialects. Although I guess that’s not a problem, because apparently, England = London.

Anyway, I’m trying to power through The Red Pyramid because I want to take it back to the library and get back to Pearls of Lutra. <3

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

A Dance with Dragons! I’m c.250 pages in, and so far have been surprised by a couple of new developments that seem really obvious in retrospect.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Knickers? I have to be honest, I didn’t know that word was still in use!

• CommentAuthorNo One

I really should re-read the Skulduggery Pleasant series… I’m forgetting the plot and the new book’s coming out soon.

Aussies use knickers —mostly for little girls.

(By the way, Jeni, when I said I refused to say pants, I meant in a slang context. Outside of it, it’s pants beats trousers every time.)