Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010

Currently reading The Chaos Code by Justin Richards and enjoying it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hmmm, I’d forgotten that Brisingr really isn’t as bad as Eldest.

“I can count, Eragon.” is rather the best line in the book.

And I guess his sword is kinda neat. Especially when Eragon drops it in surprise.

Pretty much anything that mocks Eragon is a-ok with me.

I just bought Empire of Ivory. 8D
    Temeraire = win

I finished Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim yesterday, when I also started When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I’m reading Gaunt’s Ghosts book one. It doesn’t seem particularly good so far, and there are only another hundred pages to go.

Checked out Reading Like a Writer from the library. Inspiring, but overwhelming at the same time.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Checked out Reading Like a Writer from the library. Inspiring, but overwhelming at the same time.

I just got that from Amazon.com. Pretty much what you said.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

That’s a good way to summarize it. I should buy it – I also only borrowed it.

I’m contemplating on starting The Dresden Files. Anybody wanna give me some warnings before I go through with it?

Pretty much what you said.

It also makes me guilty for not reading as much. I need to be reading more good literature, dammit!

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

I’m contemplating on starting The Dresden Files. Anybody wanna give me some warnings before I go through with it?

Don’t give up after the first two if they don’t seem cool enough, the third onwards is when the awesome really starts to kick in.

On that note, I’m finally getting to read Changes, the newest book in the series. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

@ Marquis: Also, Dead Beat. Any issues you have with the series will be worth it by the end of that one.

Sooo, I went to the library yesterday. This semester has warn me out mentally. I mean, I did a ten page paper on Lolita.

The last few things I’ve read have been very depressing. So I needed something light and fluffly. I went to the gasp Young Adult section and tried to find the stupidest (but still readable) thing there.

My choice? A fluffy, happy gay romance novel called Boy Meets Boy. It’s definately very cutesy, but more readable than I thought it would be….

It was so embarrassing getting out a pastle coloured book with hearts on it, thought.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010

I finished The City & the City. It was drier that the other books I’ve read by China Miéville, but that was kind of welcome. It was a great detective story overall, but the ending disappointed me a bit. Now I’m back to reading Discworld (I’m on The Last Continent).

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010

Finished the Foundation trilogy (have Edge but I might not read it yet), and it was awesome.

I saw Foundation in B+N but it was so expensive I couldn’t buy it. :(

On the other hand, I finished my borrowed copy of Reading Like A Writer and have determined that I must buy the book for myself and read as many of the recommended novels as possible.

@IK

I once read a gay romance novel called Sprout. And it was adorable, but as awkward as any teenage boy.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010

I saw Foundation in B+N but it was so expensive I couldn’t buy it. :(

A local used bookstore should have it. Its where I got mine.

Anyone read The Hunger Games? Best. Books. Ever.

Well, besides Tamora Pierce.

I’m trying to convince lookingforme to read them.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

Last night I remembered that I would go gay for Lirael.

<3

I’d stay straight for Garth Nix.

Anyway. Read The Diary of a Provincial Lady by EM Delafield. She was one of the funniest women…

No they’re not. They’re not Eragon bad, but I think that by the end, the main characters are in Sue territory.

No they’re not. They’re not Eragon bad, but I think that by the end, the main characters are in Sue territory.

One could argue that about Jon Snow from ASOIAF as well. I agree that one of the characters from The Hunger Games may be a Stu. But even though one shouldn’t read a book purely on the plot or the characters, I think The Hunger Games is worth a read, if only for the subject matter.

I think The Hunger Games is worth a read, if only for the subject matter.

I haven’t read them, but aren’t they supposed to be like Lord of the Flies meets The Running Man?

Yes, I suppose one could say that… :D

Yeah, they’re sort of like that, with some Roman/gladiator imagery mixed with the excesses of Hollywood.

I think the climax puts both the main characters in Sue territory. I have some comments in here, if you want to read them.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

Started Neil Stephenson’s Anathem, and remembered why I love him. If there’s any living remains of me after I’m done with this tome (I insist on slamming down wherever I go, too bad its MMP), I might jump over to Cryptonomicon.

Who am I kidding.

I think the climax puts both the main characters in Sue territory.

I have to admit, it is very DEM-y. The next book rolls with it, though, because Katniss (who’s seen as the instigator with Peeta as her oblivious pawn) has to deal with the consequences of her actions. Spoilers under the hide.

But Peeta is a bit of a Stu – Katniss, at least, has some faults (like nastiness). Peeta is a little walking Messiah, but he’s a cute walking Messiah, so I’m letting him off easy.

I just started Neil Gaiman’s second collection of short stories: Fragile Things. ‘Tis quite interesting so far. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

Having indepth online conversations about Animorphs and the nature of war and morality almost makes me want to put down Lirael and pick up Animorphs again.

:D

But I will resist.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited

Resist Animorphs?!?!!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Animorphs cannot be resisted. They ARE the resistance.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Wow, Animorphs. Haven’t read those in years.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hahah, I don’t like breaking off from books midway. And I only have the eBooks (which I really ought to get around to putting on my eReader, good grief).

My English teacher (or I guess now my former English teacher) had my friend and me come to school, so she could give us presents. She us both books, and I got The Picture of Dorian Gray, which, after reading the blurb, sounds really interesting. Has anyone read it?

I have, Platypus!

It’s a good book. Dorian is an insuffereable jerk face, though.

Well, he sells his soul to the devil, and is “ageless, vain, and amoral.” I didn’t expect him to be Mr. Sunshine. But it sounds wonderfully creepy.

The Picture of Dorian Grey is great! I, like the good Inspector, agree that Dorian is a jerk face but that doesn’t detract from the book’s greatness. However, there are long passages where Dorian sits around just blathering on about perfume and crap like that, so be warned.

^^Well, I’m glad that it’s a good book. As long as Dorian is supposed to be a jerk face, I wouldn’t think that would detract anything. And most older books seem to have a bit of blathering here and there, so that’s okay.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010

I realised the other day that the picture of Dog on the cover of Lirael and Abhorsen is of a German shepherd, I’m going to completely ignore it and block it from my memory (I might have done this already) because I always imagined Dog as a black lab.

Because black labs are awesome.

black labs are awesome.

QFT. I should know; I have one.

Because black labs are awesome.

One day, I am going to have a house of my own. And when I do, I will have an enormous black lab. Because black labs are awesome.

Heck yes they are. But yellow labs are really fricking awesome (I had one, and he was wonderful, but then he died :( We’re getting a new yellow lab puppy this week. We’re going to call him Jack).

Are black and yellow labs less hyper than chocolate labs?

Are black and yellow labs less hyper than chocolate labs?

My black lab is pretty docile, actually.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010

It depends on whether it’s English-bred or American-bred. I know a chocolate lab that is the laziest sloth-like dog on the planet, and I know a black lab that is bounce-off-the-walls-hyper.

It also depends on age. The chocolate lab is 7 or 8, the black lab is 1 1/2.

The chocolate lab I know is between three and four, and she is wild. Then I know a yellow lab, who, while not completely calm, is reasonably well-behaved.

Late, but I think The Picture of Dorian Grey is one of the best Victorian novels I’ve ever read.

I’m re-reading Les Mis. <3

My brother finally got the first book of the Prydain Chronicles! I’m so happy for him.

My brother finally got the first book of the Prydain Chronicles! I’m so happy for him.

Congrats to your brother. Those books made my childhood.

Going through the final issues of Planetary. While I’m liking the final arc with the Four, I miss the whole “deconstruct the hell out of every genre” premise that it had going.

Congrats to your brother. Those books made my childhood.

One of my favorite series of all times! They are coming with me to college.

@ Devin and lookingforme: Yeah, I didn’t read them until the eighth grade and then I realized what I was missing. But my brother always says that he’s looking for something with action, fantasy, and humor, and so I’ve been trying in vain to find The Book of Three for months. He finally got it at a book swap and didn’t get why I was so excited about it. I’m just hoping it will get him into reading something other than Star Wars novelizations.

I’m just hoping it will get him into reading something other than Star Wars novelizations.

...and then register on Impish Idea?

No, I do NOT want him on here. Mostly because he’ll read all my posts and I will have nowhere to vent.

Eek! I just read the Aslan/Jadis love fest scene in Neil Gaiman’s short story The Problem of Susan. It was rather scarring. ;.; It’s annoying though, because the story actually would have been good without that scene. That’s the thing with Neil Gaiman’s short stories; I love some of them and hate less of them, but others are ruined by scenes like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010

No, I do NOT want him on here. Mostly because he’ll read all my posts and I will have nowhere to vent.

And honestly, the whole family-on-II thing kind of creeps me out. Me and Puppet don’t count. >.>

It’s annoying though, because the story actually would have been good without that scene.

That’s what I thought.

I finally got around to reading the Lovely Bones. It was pretty good (better than the movie, at least). But the whole “having sex in someone else’s body” thing was a bit squicky.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Almost finished with Reaper of Souls, then I’m starting The Three Musketeers.

Aslan/Jadis love fest scene

...Aslan/Jadis??? How does that work? Is Neil Gaimen really writing Foe Yay furry fanfiction?

Yup. There’s a lot of licking.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I found a book called The Lies of Locke Lamora for a low price in a charity shop today. It sounded familiar, like some kind of classic, but it turned out to be published in 2006. Nevertheless, it had a recommendation from Geroge R.R Martin. So far it reads like a cross between Oliver Twist, Robin Hood and ASOIAF.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010 edited

I’m going to amuse myself with reading Stephenie Meyer’s new novella.

Thanks for the lulz, Stephenie Bella.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I found a book called The Lies of Locke Lamora

Read it. And then read the sequel. It has pirates.

I’m going to amuse myself with reading Stephenie Meyer’s new novella.

Oh, Bree. I remember her. Actually, while I was a Twihard I actually wondered more about her backstory. I’m actually having fun flipping virtual pages. First impression: these people are whiny.

It wasn’t as bad as Twilight but seriously…cheeseburger of pain?

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Can you guys actually remind me who Bree is? Why was she at all significant in Eclipse?

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010 edited

From the page with the novella:

Please keep in mind that you can only read the book here – you won’t be able to download it to your e-reader or phone. And you can’t print it out.

I just printed the first page.

facepalm

Can you guys actually remind me who Bree is? Why was she at all significant in Eclipse?

She wasn’t significant at all, actually. She was extremely peripheral and a severely minor character.

The newborn army, led by Victoria, is coming to Forks from Seattle. After a big battle between the newborns and the Cullen/ werewolf shapeshifter army, the Volturi descends on the remaining newborns. They decide to punish them for calling attention to the vampires, despite it not being their fault that a revenge-bent vampire turned a bunch of teenagers into ravenous, bloodthirsty monsters. Edward and Bella talk to one newborn, Bree, and Carlisle asks her if she wants to become a vegetarian. She says she does, but the Volturi tells them that that isn’t their decision to make, and kill her. Horribly. It’s portrayed by the book as being extremely unfair and evil.

extremely unfair and evil.

Well, just from what you’ve told me…isn’t it? Maybe ‘evil’ is too extreme a word, but ‘unfair’? I could definitely see that.

Well, just from what you’ve told me…isn’t it?

Yes, it is. She’s a teenager who doesn’t know anything about the bigger plans, and was only really thirsty and really young.

From what I’m reading in this novella, though (by skipping ahead shamelessly)?

Oh, okay. I thought you were saying that the book was saying that it was all horrible, but looking at it logically it was totally justified.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I also found a short story by Smeyer: “Hell on Earth

Basically, it’s about angels v.s demons. Not bad, and not terribly interesting either. It’s one of the 5 stories making up one book: “Prom Nights from Hell“.

I’m starting to get sleepy just thinking about it…

Hell on Earth

The South Park episode about Satan’s Sweet 16 birthday party is all I can think of. Which is okay, because that episode was pretty funny.

The South Park episode about Satan’s Sweet 16 birthday party is all I can think of.

For me, it’s Doom 2.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

I’m reading the novella, and what really jumps out at me is something I think’s a contradiction to the process of acquiring vampire talents.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hmm, have just finished book. Do I read a new one, or do a re-read?

I have so many new books to read, but I really feel like some fantasy fluff in the form of Green Rider. :3

Lol @ Northmark’s hidden text.

And I love Green Rider. Have you read Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Nope. But I suspect the only reason that I want to read it is because I finally got it back from my friend after lending it to her eight years ago.

Lol. You enjoy that, then.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Finished Reading Like a Writer a while back. I highly recommend it to anybody who’s in the Impish Writing club.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010 edited

I want to buy the new Alex Rider book and a couple more books in two other series I read.

But I currently have a pile of 57 58 unread books waiting for me.

I think I have a book buying problem.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I have nine books waiting, including three tomes on philosophy by Hofstadter that I really should get around to.

@ Puppet: Yeah, I loved it too. I wanted to buy it so it could be a constant reference, but it was $13 in B+N, so I have to get it off Amazon. I read a pathetic number of books in the back list, so I’m trying to soak up more examples of good writing over the summer.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

But I currently have a pile of 57 58 unread books waiting for me.

Regular charity shop visits?
    I go in looking for something to waste a couple of hours on, and come out with far too many alluringly cheap and potentially interesting paperbacks.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Yes. :( And people around here donate such good books! Not only good literature, but good quality, too!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. So far, I am greatly disappointed.

Lord Foul’s Bane (An Epic Fantasy) by Stephen R. Donaldson. So far, it appears to be the most clichéd fantasy book I’ve ever read, so I plan to spork it blind. I picked up three books from the used section of my library, so if I burn them, no loss, and if they exceed my expectations, I got three great books for free. Win, win!

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Just finished The Princess Bride. I know, I know, I should have read it sooner. After all, I have watched that movie all my life. But yeah. It was wonderful.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Anathem is amazing. About a third of the way in, and its glorious.

@ Dia: I love the book and the movie!

And I have seen Anathem in the library, I just never picked it up. I guess now I should.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Its massive (my MMP is just over 900 pages), but oh so worth it. At least so far.

@ Dia: I have the book but I didn’t enjoy the way he kept putting down his own story.

THE PRINCESS BRIDE!! Love that book soooooo much. And the movie. :D

The Princess Bride is great. It took me so long to figure out that it wasn’t abridged, just written by a guy who was pretending to abridge something….

Haha, Inspector, I was the same way.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

I knew going into it, otherwise I would have made the same mistake. :D