Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010

or legos

BLASPHEMY.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

A cunning plan indeed, SWQ. Sibling manipulation is so fun, especially for a good reason.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Huh. As the youngest, I feel obliged to tell you that bribery will get you everything. I once was quiet for an entire half hour because my brother promised to give me a dollar if I did it. I also tasted a gob of horseradish for a quarter (CHARGE MORE oh sweet merciful heavens horseradish sucks).

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I once was quiet for an entire half hour because my brother promised to give me a dollar if I did it.

That must have been difficult for you. 8P

Shut up. And yes, it was :P

• CommentAuthorDanielle

As the youngest, I feel obliged to tell you that bribery will get you everything.

And as the oldest, I can tell you that sometimes bribery is the only thing that works. Youngest children know how to scam the system. :P

• CommentAuthorNo One

Well yeah, bribery also works on your fellow classmates. =P And sometimes bribery works on II.

And sure, if you guys say so, I’ll keep reading P+P.

@whoever called me grasshopper: I ain’t any grasshopper!

Yiddish Policemen’s Union has been an utter slog that I can’t get myself through.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010

Seabiscuit

I’ll admit the beginning was a bit slow, but after that everything just went “click”. It’s non-fiction but it reads like well written fiction. Highly recommended.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010

Oh, definitely. That’s a great book. :D

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited

I’ve just finished reading Somebody’s Crying by Maureen McCarthy and I gotta admit, it’s a powerful hearty book. Interesting…. very interesting. It’s got a different way of writing too, one that I’m not entirely used to and I swear I saw some mistakes. Otherwise a very good book.

.... The summary’s not very good. Meh, the story’s a lot better than it seems.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

The Last Days by Scott Westerfeld isn’t as good as Peeps, but it’s still Pretty Okay. The chapter where (spoilers ahoy)
    is aweeeesome.

Finally, I’m getting into another book, Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore.

Right now, I’m reading a cyberpunk book called Glass Houses. It’s as delightfully dated as any other example of the genre.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010

Finally got to reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

I’m reading The Once and Future King by TH White. It’s good, but really looooonnnng.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

After finishing Scoop by Evelyn Waugh, I had the choice (on my eReader), whilst away, to read either classics or pick up with where I last left off with Eragon. Which I have now read, fully, for the second time.

And I’d actually forgotten how ok it was, I mean, sure, at times it was laughably bad, but it was just… ok. Fun and average.

So now I’m re-reading Eldest because I hate myself, and boy, I’d forgotten how actually bad it is.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

So now I’m re-reading Eldest because I hate myself, and boy, I’d forgotten how actually bad it is.

Why? Why, Jeni? Eldest was so boring and long. It’s more of a brick then a book.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Because once I start something, I have an odd compulsion to finish. And it’s actually kind of nice to get all rose-tinted nostalgic about 2006.

And hah, thanks to the eReader, it is not a physical brick! That and I left the physical brick in Australia. ‘Cos you have to punish convicts somehow.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Coincidentally, the Eragon film was also released in 2006. Just in case you want to mix extra masochism into your nostalgiafest.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Shadowmarch, Shadowplay, and Shadowrise, respectively. This is going to take a while.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Coincidentally, the Eragon film was also released in 2006. Just in case you want to mix extra masochism into your nostalgiafest.

Love that movie. Plus, I got it for $1 on Amazon. $1 for hours and hours of entertainment.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’ve added two books to my sci fi pile, which I’m slowly and orgasmically making my way through. On Revelation Space right now which is decent space opera, off to Foundation and Empire next. :3

Orgasmically? That’s… an interesting choice of words.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

You paid for the psychological damage of Eragon? ಠ_ಠ

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

That’s… an interesting choice of words.

Have you read Foundation?

No, I have not. What’s it about? I’ll look it up if you don’t feel like writing it out.

What’s it about?

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire IN SPACE.

Okay, The Reivers by Faulkner is not working for me. His prose is really, really difficult to read.

Sample:

Yet—and John had explained it to all of us and had our confederated sympathy and understanding, unified and impregnable front to the world and even to Father himself if that unimaginable crisis had ever arisen, which it would not have except for Boon Hogganbeck—telling us (John) how he had earned the price of the pistol by doing outside work on his own time, on time apart from helping his father on the farm, time which was his own to spend eating or sleeping until on his twenty-first birthday he had paid the final coin into his father’s hand and received the pistol; telling us how the pistol was the living symbol of his manhood, the ineffaceable proof that he was now twenty-one and a man; that he never intended to, declined even to imagine the circumstance in which he would ever, pull its trigger against a human being…

Then there’s like, half a page left of the paragraph.

It’s tiring.

It made sense to me, though it seemed a little silly.

Well, it does make sense, but slogging through a page of that is more than dull.

But perhaps it’ll pick up.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire IN SPACE.

Pretty much, only ten times more awesome than that. But maybe I get warm for political action.

Pretty much, only ten times more awesome than that.

Indeed. It’s my favorite sci-fi series ever, along with C. J. Cherryh’s Alliance-Union books.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Indeed. It’s my favorite sci-fi series ever

It probably is mine too, but I’ve only read the first. I have the next three waiting.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited

I took it one step further, I’ve also been on and off reading The Making of Eragon book. My favourite quotation is about how they weren’t allowed to even mention Lord of the Rings whilst making it.

I need to read Foundation. The whole ‘fall of the Roman Empire’ idea just made me ten times more interested.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

The whole ‘fall of the Roman Empire’ idea just made me ten times more interested.

The back of the book description does not do the story justice.

I need to read Foundation as well...RVL has been pestering me about it for a while now.

I'm on a PD James kick--that is, when I can find time between doing a math paper a day, reading my History textbook, reviewing French grammar, and re-reading books for AP English. And I still have Bio and Econ to start studying for.

Everyone should read Foundation.

The back of the book description does not do the story justice.

Agreed. It’s too awesome to put into one or two paragraphs. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010

I took it one step further, I’ve also been on and off reading The Making of Eragon book. My favourite quotation is about how they weren’t allowed to even mention Lord of the Rings whilst making it.

I think we should spork this, because it also has gold.

I finished Foundation and Empire on Friday. I’m on to the third one.
    I’m glad I found mention of it in this thread. :3

Also reading the first of the FullMetal Alchemist novelization things. Picked it up for a good price at a used bookstore. Which is why I love used bookstores.

I’m a few chapters into Second Foundation, but I really need to start again because I tend to skim-read sometimes, and I have the feeling this will get me badly confused.

Bleh. I hate starting books again if I haven’t finished them.

I tend to skim-read sometimes, and I have the feeling this will get me badly confused.

Yes, you will get confused if you don’t read carefully. ;)
    On another note, I’m reading Tuck Everlasting. I love that book soooo much. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

The film adaptation is weird, though. I’m sure Winnie isn’t supposed to be that old.

Thanks, RVL... Hey, it’s RVL! I haven’t seen you in ages!

anyway. I loved the movie adaptation of Tuck Everlasting. The key is to watch/read everything as though it is a totally different story to the original version. And that’s why TE is one of my favourite movies.

Ick no, I didn’t like the film adaptation, even though I watched it before reading the book. It was full of pretty people and mediocre acting. Bleh.

Hey, it’s RVL! I haven’t seen you in ages!

Heheh, I was on vacation. Even vampires need those every once in a while. ;) Glad to see that my absence was noticed though! :D

Eh, I am one of the un/lucky people who haven’t had enough natural discernment or eye-spy training to notice bad acting unless it’s totally wooden. However, I can recognise great acting.

Lol, I thought ur username meant something else…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

RVL, have you read “The Vampire’s Vacation”? :D Or, better, “The Vampire’s Holiday”, which is a bit more tongue-in-cheek.

No, I haven’t actually. But erm… The covers look quite… ahem suggestive.
    :P

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Just started Shadowplay. I’m ridiculously excited about it.

Finished Tuck Everlasting and now I’m reading Sense and Sensibility. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010

I am now hold number 16 on Fang.

It better be damn good lulz.

So far, I am enjoying The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. It was surprising to learn that I enjoy his style. And his dialogue, mm. It is so amazing.

Still on a PD James kick. Those books are so depressing--in every single one of them, the only character with any ounce of humanity always gets murdered. ALWAYS. And no one ever seems to give a damn--in the one I'm reading now, the only person who seems to be concerned about the dead boy is Cordelia (the detective), and all his friends are like, "He was weird, man. He, like, had to LOVE someone before he slept with them. Weird."

I’m reading All Quiet on the Western Front. I’m not even done, yet, and it’s made me cry about five times already. It’s just so…..beautifully written, even if the events are horrible.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

I finally finished refreshing my memory on Shadowmarch and Shadowplay, so now I’ve begun Shadowrise. It’s still freaking intense, but I’m still not able to expect anything to resolve since it’s still not the last book of the series. Man. I feel like I’m spending my whole life reading these monsters. So worth it though.

I finally finished Schindler’s Ark. My advise to everyone is to watch the movie. It is sooooo much better.

I’m now reading Naked by David Sedaris. It’s a collection of hilarious essays about events in his life.

@ Inspector: That was one of my reading list books for last year, but I read Night instead because for some reason I couldn’t find All Quiet on the Western Front at the library. I want to read it anyway.

I’ve been looking at most challenged/banned books. Apparently everything Judy Blume does is controversial. I knew about a few, but it seems like most of what she’s written has been challenged.

Anyway, I think I would like to read a lot of banned books.

>:D

Yeah!

Anyway, I think I would like to read a lot of banned books.

I’d say something, but The Onion does it much better.

^^That’s not why I want to read them. I want to read them because a lot of banned books are really good and it makes feel rebellious-ish.

And I liked all the books they mentioned that I’ve actually read ( Fahrenheit 451, A Separate Peace, and Lord of the Flies). The kids in that article are ignorant. I can understand how they would be sort of disappointed because you expect something banned to be really bad, but still, the fact that they find everything boring and don’t even want to try to enjoy anything without constant sex and violence is just annoying.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

NP, in case you didn’t know, the Onion is a fake news site. :p

About 90 pages into The Graveyard Book and it’s pretty good so far.

Oh, I did not know that. I guess I’m ignorant too. Anyway, a lot of kids do think like that though.

How can you not know that The Onion is a joke? I mean, right below the article is a link to a spot on NERF bioweapons.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010 edited

That was one of my reading list books for last year, but I read Night instead because for some reason I couldn’t find All Quiet on the Western Front at the library. I want to read it anyway.

I just finished it. It was amazing. I never thought I’d cry so much for the enemy… Anyway, I’ve now commited myself to read everything else he wrote.

How can you not know that The Onion is a joke? I mean, right below the article is a link to a spot on NERF bioweapons.

I didn’t see that, and I think I knew before, but I forgot.

I’m finally getting around to reading Dracula. :D I expect it to be quite good. ^^

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

I finally finished Huck Finn, but I had to cheat and listen to 5 hours of an audiobook. The dialogue was just too far outside of my zone of comfort. It was a fun story, but I don’t think I want to read any more Southern literature for a while.

In the course of (not) reading Huck Finn, I finished Feet of Clay and Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, and half of Jingo. I bought Perdido Street Station by China Miéville yesterday on a recommendation from a steampunk junkie, but the prologue was a bit too purple-prosey for my taste. Hopefully it’ll get better.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Let me know how it is, Miel. I like steampunk. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Tad Williams hangover.

We started Lord of the Flies in Humanities today. I missed class so I have to look over everything on my own.

We started Lord of the Flies in Humanities today.

I loved that book! :D

I loved that book! :D

Me too! I didn’t at first, but then it was just so good.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010

The bookshop on campus is closing down, so had a load of reduced books ranging from 10p to £1.

IT WAS A MASSACRE.

Well, ok, I only bought three books and the Conservative Manifesto. I’m not entirely sure why on that last one. But it’s blue. And looks good.

Is it closing for good, or for the semester or something?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010

Closing for good.

Eh, I’m not surprised, it’s not good as a normal bookshop, the books I got were classics: French, Russian and English. And the uni library is so good, I see little point in buying textbooks.

That and Amazon.

I finally finished Dracula and is was wonderful! It was actually quite scary, and though I didn’t have any nightmares, there are certain passages I don’t think I’ll ever forget. (I mean this in a good way. ;P) ‘Tis most definitely the best vampire I’ve ever read. Then again, I’ve only ever read this one a Twilight, which doesn’t really count… ;)

I finished reading Second Foundation and it was amazing. I love it.
    But the school library’s closed for the rest of the school year and so I have to wait to go to the public library to get the next book.
    Then I read Nightfall. It was pretty good, and very well thought out, but the end left me going, “WHAT?!”

All in all, they were both really good books though. :D

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

Question: do you often find yourself feeling really sad when you’ve finished a really good series?

No One, yes.

All in all, they were both really good books though. :D

Agreed. :D

I feel sad too! :)

Lol, anyway, I just read two books that were probably not worth my time. It was so nice to just waste four hours or so without any regard for the important things in life…

Oh my goodness, I just wasted four hours yesterday! First I watched Chuck, then I watched Mystic Pizza, then I watched Gilmore Girls! I was very good at not studying for the big, scary exams I have coming up...

I too feel very sad when a series that I really like comes to an end. But then again, it's a much better feeling than realizing that the series that you liked so much has now gone downhill. I had that revelation with A Series of Unfortunate Events and Redwall--I felt sad AND disappointed.

I just finished Naked today. It was great, not for those who like “clean” books though. David Sedaris is the patron saint of awesome.

Today, I started Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. I’m only two essays in, but so far it’s quite good.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

I’m reading filthy twinkie sort-of books lately. I feel so embarrassed.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Finished Teckla yesterday, now I’m on to Reaper of Souls.

Finished Lord of the Flies. For an assignment, I have to write a 13th chapter telling what happened to the boys afterward in Golding’s style. It’s taking forever…and I don’t know that I like the product so far.

For an assignment, I have to write a 13th chapter telling what happened to the boys afterward in Golding’s style.

Coolest. Assignment. EVAR. 8D

Coolest. Assignment. EVAR. 8D

Agreed. But I can see how that might be hard, to get it just right that is.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

Stuff White People Like: The Definitive Guide to the Unique Taste of Millions. So lulzy, and so depressingly true to me in so many ways.

Coolest. Assignment. EVAR.

It was extra credit, but what I didn’t know is that the idea has to be approved by the teacher and it’s due tomorrow. I’ll finish it and I might beg for leniency but it seems I did all that work for nothing. :(

the idea has to be approved by the teacher

Out of curiosity, what was your idea?

...I don’t really know. I was just going along with whatever popped into my head that was vaguely appropriate. Basically it had to further the themes of the novel (society’s evils are just mankind’s evils extended). It was something along the lines of they come out of the boat and back into civilization and they realize that the island and the mainland’s not as different as they thought.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010

Finished Perdido Street Station, and I liked it quite a bit. It was very dark and disturbing, and the purple prose only lightened up a little, but it was pretty awesome. I looked up other books by China Miéville and found a YA novel, Un Lun Dun, which I read out of curiosity. I was wondering how his edgy, grotesque style would translate to YA, and I was pleasantly surprised. I also picked up The City & the City, which I’ll start reading soon.

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010 edited

@Miel: China Miéville is one my favorite authors; I just read his King Rat, which was, I believe, his first novel. Check it out, it’s pretty good.

The local library was doing a book sale: $1.50 per pound of books. For $18 I got The Aeneid, Selected Writings of Karl Marx, Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman, The Early Civilization of China, by Yong Yap and Arthur Cotterell, Putin’s Labyrinth, by Steve Levine, A History of Russia, by John Lawrence, a first edition copy of part two of Winston Churchill’s The Second World War, and the jewel of the mini-collection: a beautifully illustrated copy of War and Peace from 1942, featuring maps comparing Napoleon’s invasion of Russia with Hitler’s invasion that was happening at the time of publishing. I’m in heaven right now. :)

The Liar by Stephen Fry. Might just be the book that’ll get me out of my five-month-long burnout.

• CommentTimeMay 24th 2010

a first edition copy of part two of Winston Churchill’s The Second World War

O.O ANOTHER PERSON WHO HAS HEARD OF IT! I’ve only read the first volume and part of the second… you got a first edition? Envy