Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010

...no.

Gooey as in warm, fresh out of the oven, and not burnt.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010 edited

...So, back on topic.

In preparation for the movie, I’m probably going to read Alice in Wonderland next week.

I’m reading Freud’s Interpetation of Dreams. It’s quite interesting.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010

Just finished Anthony Horowitz’s Alex Rider: Crocodile Tears. Wasn’t bad at all.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010

The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman

I have no idea how that book was fascinating and why in the world I was so interested in the everyday doings of Bod’s life but I was dammit.

Black Powder War was excellent, and my favorite in the series so far. :D Unfortunately, I don’t have the rest of the books in the series. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010

Currently reading Michael Crichton’s Pirate Latitudes.

Reading Robin Mckinley's Chalice. I don't understand--normally I devour her books whole (Beauty, Spindle's End), but this book is the most plotless, characterless, pointless thing I've read in a while. The characters are way flat, and seem to have no life outside of the story. James Avery said in How to Write a Damn Good Novel that a book should always read like a window into the character's life--it should be clear that the character had a past, and will have a future, before and after the book. Not so here. *end rant*
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010

Aw, I loved Chalice. :( It’s so pretty.

I just finished The Titan’s Curse yesterday. I have to hold off on the last two until I finish The Kite Runner, which we are starting in English tomorrow. If it’s good, I should finish pretty quickly and get back to Percy Jackson killing monsters.

Heheh, Percy Jackson is amazing. :D

Just finished Candide. It was bloody brilliant.

Ooh, I have to read a selection of that for Honors Humanities! I was just about to get started when II interrupted me.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010

Lanark may be one of the most bizarre books I have ever read. If you google it, the cover is NSFW.

Candide is awesome so far. I want to read the entire thing now.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010

Reading Heart of Darkness for school. It is very thematic.

Started my research for my sophomore thesis…I’m doing Lord of the Rings!

Anyway, yeah, it was tons of fun checking out all these books on analysis, but now I have to read them all and write an awesome essay.

Just finished The Midnight Mayor. Great book, fantastic characterization and really, really original magic.

On the other hand, we have The Swordbearer by Glen Cook, which has an interesting premise (evil Excalibur turns wielder slowly evil) but turned out to be a really, really stereotypical high fantasy, complete with bad characters and the most dense government in the world.

I think we’re starting Oliver Twist tomorrow in humanities.

I’m reading selcted essays of Voltaire on Religion. He’s a genius.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010

I admit, freely and proudly: I am currently reading trash.

The trashiest science fiction you can imagine.

Trashier than that.

Mars Attacks: War Dogs of the Golden Horde

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010

I’m currently reading Blaze of Glory by Michael Pryor.

Before that, I was reading Cherub: Recruit. It’s a very good book! Can’t wait to read the next volume.

And before THAT, I was reading Samurai Kids. It was alright.

For the first time in my school life, I have to read a book for essay. It’s called I Am David. It’s a meh book.

Beauty by Robin McKinley and A Feast for Crows. :D

I just finished The Kite Runner. It was good. I’m DVRing the movie to watch on HBO on Tuesday.

Still trudging through the thick jungles of plot and deserts of dry prose that is War and Peace, but I really like it. Napoleon biography is good and The Great Gatsby is excellent.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010

I just finished Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, by Beth Fantaskey. Er. Yeah, I checked that out of the library in a moment of weakness. And despite its awful title, it’s not actually half bad—think Twilight with basically its main problems fixed/made at least a little better. Like there’s the coming-into-her-bedroom while she sleeps thing—but she absolutely flips out at him. And the vampires don’t sparkle. There’s the whole self-conflicted-self-denying-loathing-emo-angst that Edward displays, except for actually better reasons, in my opinion (he’s an orphan because his parents were staked in a mob riot when he was little, so he was raised by his uncles, who abused him growing up. And then he kills his uncle. So yeah).

Oh, and it, y’know, realises that Heathcliff and Cathy’s relationship in Wuthering Heights is thoroughly NOT HEALTHY.

Ahem. All in all, very Twilight-esque, but not half bad. Granted, I just finished it five minutes ago, I might change my mind in a couple days.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010

I just finished The Kite Runner.

I love that book. Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns?

Just finished Night by Elie Wiesel. Unlike the last Holocaust book I read( Was God on Vacation? ) I actually felt moved by it. Also, on the plus side, it’s much more believable; I strongly believe some parts of WGOV are at least partially fabricated.

Night made me cry the first time I read it. And the second time, too.

Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns?

I have not, but I might in the future since I liked The Kite Runner. Is it good?

Night made me cry the first time I read it. And the second time, too.

I cried, too. But the most depressing Holcaust book I’ve read (aside from Maus) is Dear God, Have You Ever Gone Hungry, by Joseph Bau, a man snuck over to the woman’s camp to marry, and survived beacuse his wife managed to get his name on Oskar Schindler’s list.
    He illustrated the book with line drawings, like this:

It was quite horrific, but very good. Sucks that it didn’t get much attention.

Oskar Schindler’s list.

Oh, that reminds me, I really want to read Schindler’s Ark. Has anyone read it?

Oh, that reminds me, I really want to read Schindler’s Ark. Has anyone read it?

I have! It’s a rather crushing book, though not as heartbreaking as the movie. It is definately good, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010

Maus and Maus II were fantastic books, I felt like crying after reading them. :/

I have! It’s a rather crushing book, though not as heartbreaking as the movie. It is definately good, though.

I need to order is from Barnes and Noble. I really want to read the book after seeing the movie.

Maus and Maus II were fantastic books, I felt like crying after reading them. :/

I cried. But then, I cry over a lot of things.

I had to convince my mom that they weren’t “cute mouse books” or for children.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I haven’t come close to crying, except for when I finish The Amber Spyglass, but it was a different feeling with Maus.

I haven’t come close to crying, except for when I finish The Amber Spyglass, but it was a different feeling with Maus

Because Maus was a true story, maybe?

I never used to cry over books. Until I read Les Miserables. Urg.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I guess so. Maus was the book that made me feel sick and depressed to read it and yet I stayed up all night reading, not being able to put it down.

I guess so. Maus was the book that made me feel sick and depressed to read it and yet I stayed up all night reading, not being able to put it down

I had a agonizing week-long wait between the first and the second, because I was waiting for my library to deliver They each took me only a couple hours (if that) to get through.

It was an amazing read, at any rate.

Currently reading Pnin for school…

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010 edited

I have not, but I might in the future since I liked The Kite Runner. Is it good?

It’s like the Kite Runner, except it deals with the way women are treated in Afghani culture. It’s less focused on the whole ethnic group thing (like how a main point of the Kite Runner was that Hassan was Hazara) and more on how much men can get away with doing to women. I found it just as good.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I just finished Margaret Atwood’s most recent book, The Year of the Flood, which I put off for way too long. I ended up loving it more than Oryx and Crake, though.

Now I’m moving on in the Discworld series, which I also put off reading for way too long _ Feet of Clay, here I come!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Here’s a piece of advice: don’t read The Good Soldier Švejk. The author takes almost every opportunity to have his characters tell page long anecdotes that have no purpose for being there except to take up space. It was interresting in a Forest Gump-y way for the first couple hundred pages, but after about 500 pages, it gets annoying.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010

I just saw a commercial for Fang, which is apparently the newest book in the Maximum Ride series. Focusing on the relationship between Max and Fang.

...D:

Currently re-reading Pride and Prejudice. :D

I'm reading three books at the same time: Shannon Hale's River Secrets (Goose Girl and Enna Burning were a bit better...but only a bit), Polite Lies about a Japanese American woman, and Shroud for a Nightingale by PD James. I never really liked PD James, but my mom brought six of her books back from a used books sale, and I want to give it a go again. She has a very Victorian way of writing--a lot of direct characterization, a lot of long speeches. I like it so far, though--Victorian is very nice for the springtime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited

I just saw a commercial for Fang, which is apparently the newest book in the Maximum Ride series. Focusing on the relationship between Max and Fang.

>.< Wham Wham Wham Wham Wham

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010

House of Leaves.

I want to drop the book and cry in confusion, but I can’t stop reading. So distressing, so addicting.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010

I started The Book Thief yesterday. So far, so good.

YES YES YES YES YES!

I checked out Castaways of the Flying Dutchman for my brother.

House of Leaves.

That, and Faulkner are on my list. I need some mindscrew-literature.

House of Leaves is a bit like The Shark Tales, isn’t it?

Man, that was a good book.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010

I completely gave up on finishing Švejk last week, so I’ve been reading Soul Music. Terry Pratchett is histarical, as always.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Conflicted:

;_;

I checked out Castaways of the Flying Dutchman for my brother.

8D

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Now, The Stand. Finally finished. What are you all waiting for? Get out there, buy it, and read it.

Undoubtedly.

You just murdered my hope, because ‘Fax’ is a demon escaped from hell.

*From hell.*

Amazing book. sob

I just got an old copy of the Brothers Karamazov from the library’s booksale. It’s illllllllustrated!!!!!!!! (with pretty lithographs by Fritz Eichenberg)

It’s a nice hardcover in a slipcase and it only cost 2 bucks.

And it’s illlllllllllustrated.

It’s also not a bad translation. Constance Garnet. And it’s unabridged, but the text is in colums, like a Bible.

And did I mention that it’s illlllllllllllllustrated?

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I loooove that book.

I’m about 100 pages into Terry Pratchett’s Nation, and it’s awesome.

Reading a pretty cool analysis on LotR. It inspires me, but too bad I have no time to write right now.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010

I just started The Storyteller’s Daughter by Cameron Dokey today, and I’m already halfway through. Easy read, but I’ve already fallen in love with it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010

Just finished The Simulcra by Philip K. Dick. Coherency is for losers.

I’m reading 1984; it’s quite interesting.

You just murdered my hope, because ‘Fax’ is a demon escaped from hell.

I agree. They set them up to be pseudo siblings, and then they’re all over each. It’s just icky and wrong. Plus, it’s very annoying, and the romance is sort of out of place for the storyline, as are all plots of the books after the third one, which is why I won’t be reading them anymore.

I really like that book. I didn’t like the movie (I watched the one made in 1984, not the older one). The book was pretty awesome though.

I’m really trying to get into Schindler’s Ark (which the copy I have has renamed Schindler’s List to better tie in with the movie. rolls eyes). I’m not that far yet, but it hasn’t been very narrative so far. It’s more like a history lesson about selected experiences in Schindler’s life. I don’t mind learning about him and more about the Holocaust, but I would just prefer it to be in more of a story fashion, since this is a novel. I’m hoping it will get better. The movie bored me at first, until it got to a certain point, and then it was just amazing. We were watching it at school, so it was dull for a couple of days before it was can’t-take-your-eyes-off-the-screen awesome.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010

I’m reading A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’engle and so far I think it’s too sudden. Too much info all at once and half of it unexplained.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I finished The Book Thief. It was sad. Sometimes the style got on my nerves but in the end it was all a good experience.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

I agree. They set them up to be pseudo siblings, and then they’re all over each. It’s just icky and wrong. Plus, it’s very annoying, and the romance is sort of out of place for the storyline, as are all plots of the books after the third one, which is why I won’t be reading them anymore.

I heard Fang gets even more emo and leaves. So, I’ll be reading it for that! <3 the death of Fang. Or his exclusion in anything. And, like, I want to see some Iggy. GRRR.

Aye. The global warming soapboxing is annoying. I may spork it :D

I finished The Book Thief. It was sad. Sometimes the style got on my nerves but in the end it was all a good experience

I personally love the way it’s written. One of my favourite books ever. Whenever I need a good cry, I re-read the end…

Aye. The global warming soapboxing is annoying. I may spork it :D

Dooooo it! Dooooo it!

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

FIRST I MUST OBTAIN A COPY.

FIRST I MUST OBTAIN A COPY.

To the library!

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

BUT FIRST TO PAY MY FINE!

blushes

Damn the Salem Witch trials for being so interesting. It’s only the second time I have ever had to pay a fine in my 16 years…

I am ashamed.

Ooooh, I had two dollars the other day because I had Fiddler on the Roof and refused to return it. Oops.

Currently reading Lolita. Still. I’ve been busy…

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

I read some god-awful supernatural romance for the Lulz.

But got no Lulz. ;_;

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

You shoud demand a refund.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

It was a friends novel.

I paid nothing.

BUT MY SOUL IS FOREVER DEAD.

@ Inspector

Is very good? I’ve been interested in reading it. mm Russian classics

Last week, I checked out a lot of fluffy YA novels. The protagonists are brats.

But I did get The Grapes of Wrath. I am intrigued.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky

Speaking of Steinbeck, I just read Of Mice and Men. I liked it, but didn’t see anything special…until the end.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010

I am hold number thirty on Fang…

Yeah >.<

Said sporking will be a while.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010

…until the end.

Yep.

Is very good? I’ve been interested in reading it. mm Russian classics

Lolita is good. It’s just very squicky.

Fang(character) is more tolerable than Max. She is such a mary sue.

I started reading Foundation because it was mentioned in this thread. So far, so awesome.
    I’ve also been reading Fablehaven. Has anyone else read this? The last book was released fairly recently, and it got a lot of hype in my area because the author’s from my state.
    I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it, either. It’s enjoyable, but I don’t think it deserved that much hype.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010

Max is a total Sue. :p To be honest, I actually like Iggy and Gazzy and I kinda like Angel, too, but not a whole lot. :D But hey, what am I supposed to do, eh? XD

Fang is like Murtagh, has/had potential, but has to step aside for the main character.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010

If you haven’t read it yet, go to your local library and pick up The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones. Set up like a guidebook/ encyclopedia, it’s essentially a hilarious sporking of all the high fantasy tropes so many authors fall back on. For example:

Innkeepers are all so alike that the Tourist may be pardoned for thinking he/she has not moved from one INN to the next. Innkeepers are tall, fat, male, aproned, busy, and normally jovial. They are there to serve and shout orders to barmaids. They take everything in their stride, from STRANGE RACES and TAVERN BRAWLS to peculiar requests from Tourists with awkward SECRETS to conceal. They seldom otherwise intrude on the action. They are always too busy. It is not known when these admirable men find time to eat or sleep.

It also includes instructions on how to compose a ballad, what to pack for your JOURNEY, and a map that will make anyone who has read Paolini laugh until their sides ache. In conclusion, I quote:

My brother: Who wrote it?
    Me: Diana Wynne Jones.
    My brother: Well, they got the ‘win’ part right.

I think my friend has that book. Hmm, now I want to borrow it…

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I’m reading Huckleberry Finn because I lost a bet. It’s not bad, but kind of hard since I can’t understand a word anyone is saying.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I find that a really underrated book, actually. :/

Don’t get me wrong, it’s can be damn boring in parts, but it’s still a good book, nonetheless.

I can’t understand a word anyone is saying.

Haha, that’s exactly my problem! I started the book, but I never finished it because we moved, I lost the book, and I’ve been so wrapped up in other stuff. Then again, I have to read it next year for American Lit. anyway.

You figure out what they are saying after a while, its like reading old English.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I liked it well enough until Tom Sawyer comes back.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I’ve finally got around to reading Pride and Prejudice and I’m only up to chapter 5, 6 or 7, and I’m busy trying to translate the oldish English style of speaking.

And it’s quite dry. Boring. May give up on it soon.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

GASP.

• CommentAuthorNo One

What? I’m speaking the truth. Unless you guys can guarantee that it’s gonna be more interesting as I near the end of the book, if there’s nothing happening until chapter 15, I’m gonna ditch the book.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Patience, young grasshopper.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Anyone heard of the Tales From The Dark Forest series? Goodknyght!, Whizzard and Trollogy. Absoluitely hilarious, packed full of wittyy and groan-worthy puns. Basically a very sarcastic self-aware parody of fantasy fiction. It also has lots of homages to the real world, from pastafarians to Humphrey the Boggart (private inquestigator, of course), Gnomes who cannot start a word with ‘n’, (gnot that anybody gnotices, gnaturally), and trolls who play trolleyball, ride the trolleybus, and eat rock cakes. And of course, dear old Wolfie the Highwaywolf, who makes an appearance in each book.

I think you guys would enjoy it, it’s so deliciously aware of its own silliness, and hams it up as much as it can. There’s even a reluctantly-suicidal lemming who keeps trying to talk himself into jumping off that cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

Humphrey the Boggart (private inquestigator, of course)

LOL. That’s a good one.

Meh. I think that I’ll stick to Discworld.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Danielle, Taku, I have just added your recommendations to my long List of Impish Recommended Books That I Really Mean To Read.

@ No One – Once you get the hang of Austen’s language, it gets fascinating.

It’s the dialogue and wit that’s really the best thing about Austen. It’s subtle, but it can be pretty sharp!

Today, I made a wager with my brother, who is kind of a reluctant reader. Together, we came up with a list of 25 good, semi-challenging books for him to read. If he can finish them all within 5 months (a big deal for him), he gets $50.

Now, before everyone jumps on me for bribing my little brother, I would like to bring up the fact that my brother regularly gets stuff that he hasn’t really done anything to earn. So on that note, I talked to my parents and he is not allowed to buy any videogames or legos for the five months unless for a really good reason.

Which means that in reality, my brother will not really be getting more of a reward than he usually does, but he will be reading about twice as much as he normally does. What I’m hoping is that since I picked books that he’s interested in, he’ll like them enough to read by himself.

And if not, well, I’m having fun engineering the whole thing.

I’m reading Neverwhere. Again. :D