Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So we have a music thread, but no book thread? What kind of writing site are we?

Anyway, I’m reading City of Thieves right now, along with Little Women, World War Z, The Pirates of Ersatz, and a few others. I’m actually doing fairly well.

•  
      CommentAuthorRand
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009

I’m reading Gone with the Wind, except out of order, a couple pages at a time. Am at the Rhett-Tries-To-Be-With-Old-Society part.

The Fellowship of the Rings. I’m at the Tom Bombadill bit.

Introduction to European Law:(

Stravaganza: City of Masks by Mary Hoffman

The Two Towers. I’ve just finished the part with Isengard and Saruman.
    Oh, and I’m reading the manga Beauty Pop (it’s about hairstylists!). It’s so shallow, but I still love it. :3

@Steph

Isn’t that the one with the Italians who teleport into a fantasy world?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

It is!
    That series is awesome, and I love it.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I read Cameron Dokey’s Belle the day before yesterday, attempted starting on Colleen McCullough’s The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet, gave that one up because Darcy and Lizzie can’t be unhappy, dammit, and then started Janet Lee Carey’s Dragon Keep at approximately four o’clock this morning.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Computational Complexity... <_< Preparing for the summer is all. I’m also reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I love The Hunchback of Notre Dame! I have yet to see the Disney version, but I’m afraid it may have destroyed it… :(

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

That was one of the few Disney movies I actually liked. For once the girl did more than get saved… although she did get saved. Whatever, Disney and its traditional values/sexism.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

They completely butchered the book, though.

Phoebus was an absolute bastard, I tell you.

<_<

Really? Damn. I’m just waiting for them to make the Count of Monte Cristo…

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Yeah. He basically seduced Esmeralda, and when she got into trouble for it, ran away in the opposite direction like the coward he was.

OH HELL NO

They'd butcher the plot and the characters and *protects book with frying pan*
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Yeah, the book did get butchered. That was to be expected though. The book would be pretty hard to translate into a Disney movie. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009 edited

Then they shouldn't've even tried. <<

*thwacks Disney*

They also completely killed Hercules. Grr. Hate hate hate that movie.

Me too. Why did they have to leave out the part where Zeus burns Heracles’ mother to a crisp, then sews the fetus under the skin of his leg?

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Hercules was a disgrace. _

Pixar is the new Disney, and has been for quite some time.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Dan darling, I’m rather hoping you were being sarcastic, or I may be forced to kill you. :D

Ugh! And the most ironic of all, Hera as Herakles’ mother.

I meant that it’s the new big animation studio that everybody loves.

Hercules = epic fail. (just the Disney version though!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I loved that movie.

What kind of writing site are we?

A site that already has this.

http://impishidea.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=32&page=1#Item_73

Yeah, but this was intended to be more of a counterpoint to the Music Thread, with just the book titles and maybe a thought or two on them. I had nothing to do with what this became.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

@Dan—Sarcastic about the Heracles’ mother being burned to a crisp and all that, I mean. I got the Pixar thing. :/

Don’t worry, I was.

There’s also the time when Zeus turned into a bull so he could sleep with a Minoan princess. Think about that for a moment.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Danae’s shower of gold is still probably among the oddest forms he’s taken.

How about the time he turned into a golden shower to impregnate a woman? Or when he approached one as a swan?

Ahhh, good old Zeus.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The Greek gods were… disturbing. They all married their sisters (or children, or grandchildren, etc.) and then had a million affairs apiece (also with their sisters/children/grandchildren). Of course, this is all conveniently overlooked in the children’s versions.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Greek Gods = epic deities. They understood there’s no point in being immortal if you aren’t screwing over humanity with wild sex.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Not to mention impregnating every human woman in sight with a half-god just to spice up the world a bit.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Screw radiation, Greek gods are a far better means of super power acquisition.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

TAKE ME ZEUS. TAKE ME.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

ELANOR NOOOES. DON’T GIVE IN.

Anyway, for on topicness, I’m reading The World is Flat, by Thomas Friedman. So far, so good.

I just finished "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas"

*sobs a bit*

Wow. Just....the ending killed me. Even though I expedcted it wouldn't end happily.

You know what's even worse? I heard an Eragon fan compare it to Eldest, saying:
    "They were both good and well done, but sooo sad"

And that pissed me off....
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009 edited

The only two people (other than you, Inspector) who I know that have seen the movie said that the boy (not in the camp) was infuriatingly dense.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

How was Eldest sad? No one died. (that I recall) (no wait, the dwarf king died. But who liked him anyway?)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I think it was probably supposed to be sad because Murtagh came back as a kewl bad guy.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Yeah. Simply tragic.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I’m reading The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett. I’ve read Color of Magic, plus Interesting Times [since that was like the only one they had in my library… oh the shame!]

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Sadly, the only Terry Pratchett book I’ve read is Guards! Guards!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

People who think Murtagh being evil is a sad thing are probably the same sort of cads who think Greedo shot first.

But he did! And what’s so bad about Jar Jar anyway? I like him.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Evil!Murtagh was so much more badass, anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

>:( Grrr…

The only two people (other than you, Inspector) who I know that have seen the movie said that the boy (not in the camp) was infuriatingly dense.
    X
    He was. I mean, he was nine and all....but he was rather stupid. Which made it even more stressful.

So I got mad at the person and pretty much said that it was insulting to compare the holocaust to a fantasy "novel". I can't wait to see the response...
    Terry Pratchett =win. He's so funny! My fave book of his would have to be Good Omens by him and Neil Gaiman; if the world is going to end, it might as well end humorously!
    • CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009 edited

Programming Language Pragmatics

Supposedly it is even better then the mythical Dragon book. Let us see.

Arthur & George, Julian Barnes.

I’m struggling to juggle The Sword In The Stone, Story, A Farewell To Arms and American Gods alongside it though. :|

I’m reading; italics Downsiders, Never-ending story, Dandelion Wine(on summer reading list), and Piercing the Darkness._ end italics_ Strangly I have never seen the movie version of Never-ending story.

ahhh… Epic fail the italics part came out wrong!!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

I’m reading Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser. Antonia Fraser is awesome. As is Marie Antoinette. Yes, for the record, I did just say that Marie Antoinette is awesome. And I stand by that.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Reading The Lightning Thief. So far the point of view of a dyslexic 12-year-old is pretty entertaining. I love kid’s books. ^^

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

So do I… I can sit in the kids section and read illustrated fairy tale books all day. It’s kind of embarassing… Also, I still love the Junie B. Jones series.

I finally finished Foundation; now I’m reading Foundation and Empire, along with an Amiga programming manual.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009 edited

I’m reading Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser. Antonia Fraser is awesome. As is Marie Antoinette. Yes, for the record, I did just say that Marie Antoinette is awesome. And I stand by that.

:D Hurrah for historical underdogs! I for one much like Richard III and Catherine de Medici.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

Didn’t Catherine de Medici poison people? And Richard III trapped his…nephews(?) is a tower, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

Historical legends. :P

Catherine de Medici basically single-handedly kept the three sons of hers who reigned on the throne. Without her, they would’ve been deposed, easily. She didn’t understand the theological arguments of the Huguenots, which is why the St Bartholomew Day massacre happened, but her actions were mostly desperate manoeuvres to keep the Valois monarchy on the throne. And historians don’t blame her completely for the St Bartholomew Day massacre anymore.

As for Richard III, it’s rather doubtful now that he had his nephews executed. He did imprison them in the Tower (of London), but that was a perfectly understandable political manoeuvre. They were the other possible heirs to the throne, and having them running around free would undermine his own authority. At any rate, the killing-his-nephews thing is likely a myth—for one, once the Tudors took over, they didn’t even list the murder of his nephews on the propaganda lists, and they were digging up all sorts of crap.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009 edited

I’m trying to get through all of the Harry Potter books before the next movie comes out. Halfway through Chamber of Secrets right now.

The Two Towers! Yay; I can’t wait for the big battle in the end! (No, that was a joke.) ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

I’m trying to get through all of the Harry Potter books before the next movie comes out. Halfway through Chamber of Secrets right now.

Haven't you read them already?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

I love Mr. Adams.

I read Memoirs of a Geisha…it was ok, I guess.

Why was it just OK? I’ve only seen the movie, but I thought it was pretty good.

I don’t know…just not really the most amazing book ever for me. It was engaging, but after reading it I don’t think I would bother reading it again.

I found it so annoying how Sayuri/Chiyo kept on mooning over the Chairman. I liked Nobu, and I didn’t like how she treated him.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Haven’t you read them already?

Yep.

Ahh, I see. I should try reading that book over the summer, but I already have so many I want to read!

Why is this thread dying? You should all be going “Oh ho ho well I’m reading this and that olol!”

Well, I’ve just gotten through The Crucible again, and after that American Gods. The Crucible was as good now as it was two years ago. American Gods was… very meh. A big let-down. Gaiman’s my favourite author, but… eh. The characters and story didn’t grip me. Except for the Lakeside plotline, that was quite gripping but not without its own fallings. Maybe I’ll like it more the next time I read it.

I’ve just started reading H. P. Lovecraft’s Necronomicon. I bought the commemorative edition, UK only (makes me feel special). It is the most beautiful book I’ve held in a long time, I just had to have it. It has a smell above and beyond New Book. It’s just great.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009

I read Meg Cabot’s Being Nikki just now.

Shaddup, I needed some fluff.

XP

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’m reading Neverwhere right now.

I’m reading Xenocide. Just finished Speaker for the Dead and was a little disappointed. Lots of people told me it was better than Ender’s Game, but… Meh, I’ve never been into ‘family’ novels. Blech. It was still a good read though; I’d be willing to re-read it at some point.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I was being good and reading a new book, but I succumbed and instead am re-reading The Portable Door by Tom Holt.

YAY. :3

I’m reading Neverwhere right now.

The ending is brilliant. I like the boar being England’s beast, because I can’t help but consider it a clever allusion to Lord of the Flies, which it may or may not be.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I agree with DrAlligator; American Gods was meh to me too and I’ve always been curious as to why people love it so much.

I’m reading A Storm of Swords by GRRM.

“I’m reading A Storm of Swords by GRRM.”

Oooooh! Where are you?

Currently reading The Grapes of Wrath, History of Western Philosophy, His Excellency: George Washington, and The Zombie Survival Guide.

The Affinity Bridge, by George Mann. It’s pretty good, though it could be better.

I’m reading Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey. It’s a little hard to follow because he has the regular text where one story is happening, then he has stuff in italics where a different story is happening, and then there’s some more stuff in parentheses where another story is happening. They include the same people (usually), but they are at different times, or sometimes they are thoughts by different characters. And he jumps around in time a lot. It’s still interesting though, and I think I like it, but I haven’t gotten very. I’ve been reading it for a few months.

Does anyone know if it’s stream of consiousness form? I don’t really know what that style looks like.

•  
      CommentAuthorDem
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009

I'm munching my way through the Discworld books. My favorite so far was Hogfather ^_^

I finished The Affinity Bridge yesterday, though I neglected to post.

I’ll be borrowing my friend’s copy of The Prisoner of Azkaban to read at summer camp next week.

When I go back home in August I’m rereading Deathly Hallows. Watching the new HP movie (somewhere around ‘average’) made me realise I remember very little of the books, especially the last one. Going to have to fix that.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009

Hogfather is indeed awesome. Death ftw.

COWER, BRIEF MORTALS! HO. HO. HO.”

“You can’t give her that! It’s not safe!” “IT’S A SWORD. IT’S NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.” “She’s a child!” “IT’S EDUCATIONAL.” “What if she cuts herself?” “THAT WILL BE A VALUABLE LESSON.”

“The rat says: you don’t mess with the rat.”

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

@Devin Monahan – I’m at around page 200, it’s just switched to Jon’s POV after Catelyn’s reaction to Robb getting married.

Definitely going to reread the Harry Potter series sometime this summer. My friends were talking about parts of the Half Blood Prince movie that weren’t true to the book; I hadn’t even noticed most of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Rereading ASoIaF.. at CoK .. uhm.. crap, last thing I remember is Tyrion sending Cleos Frey back to Riverrun and – oh no, he just fucked Shea. Again.

Reading Hound of the Baskervilles.

And I’m contemplating on reading HBP due to hearing some of the differences between it and the movie.

Will soon start reading HP2 for the first time in the hope that it gets better.

Am convinced right now that Harry Potter is the biggest sue on earth.

EDIT: Oh. And I’m halfway through P&P and Zombies.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited

Steph, I’m sorry to say that Chamber of Secrets probably won’t convince you that the series is any better. The general consensus is that it’s one of the worst, if not THE worst in the series. XD

I think after the first few occurrences GRRM could have just gone with Tyrion/Shae blackout sex a la Breaking Dawn. The constant heavy description gets TMI after awhile.

It’s around the third book that they begin hitting their peak, most would argue. Chamber of Secrets is alright though, and even if it’s the perhaps weakest, it does turn out to be very, very pivotal.

Who’s this most? IMO Half-Blood Prince is the peak.

I said begin. Most people consider PoA, GoF and OotP to be the highlights of the series.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009

I’m starting Deathly Hallows now. I think that the last 150 or so pages of HBP is the best point of the series so far. Though, I don’t remember anything from Deathly Hallows so I don’t know if there is a better point.

Am I the only one who liked Chamber of Secrets? It’s not the best in the series, but it was interesting and as a stand alone book was good.

I liked it. When I was nine it was vewy scawy too, but I liked it.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009

I liked the mystery of who was opening the Chamber.

@DrAlligator: same here. My sister told me that Hermione my favorite character died, and for months I refused to read the book. Then when I found out that she didn’t really die, I was very mad at my sister.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009

I like them all past 3. One and two are ok, but you can really see how JK’s writing develops after those, because the book sizes jump up. :D

I liked the whimsical, magical nature of the first book, when everything was still new.

Chamber of Secrets was the worst, in my opinion. ‘Twas a bit… I dunno, tedious I guess… I liked the 5th one the best; the darkness interested me…

I’m re-reading The Colour of Magic right now.