Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorMrHyde
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited

Most original thread title ever. Steph’s reign of terror is officially over. Mine is about to begin. The banker is dead! Long live the banker!

FIrst, the sign-up list. If you haven’t reconfirmed yet, please do so shortly or I will be forced to open your seat. If you want in on the game but had not previously signed up, let me know and I’ll start a waiting list.

1. Scottie dog – The Drunk Fox *Confirmed
    2. Thimble OrkStompa – OverlordDan
    3. Boat Moldorm Picture – Moldorm *Confirmed
    4. Horse One True Ring – Swenson *Confirmed
    5. Iron Amiga Boing Ball – Dan Locke *Confirmed
    6. Evenstar (whatever that is (it’s an Elvish thing, not important)) – RomanticVampireLover *Confirmed
    7. Hat – CGilga *Confirmed
    8. Cannon – Adam *Confirmed
    9. Racecar – Ari [she didn’t have a piece, but she missed out on the horse, so, since I’m in a generous mood…]
    10. Wheelbarrow – MrHyde [The banker is trustworthy and will totally promise not to steal much from the bank] *Confirmed
    11. Moneybags – Rand

Waiting list:
    Steph (maybe)

Second, the rules. I propose standard Monopoly rules with additional variants. Immunity in trades allowed, free parking gets any money which would otherwise be paid to the bank. Contracts are binding if publicly made. Anything else?

Third, logistics. 1 turn a day seems reasonable. When we get closer, I’ll make up a calendar. If you miss your day, then we can either have you lose a turn or take it when you get back. What do you guys think?

Anything else? I think that we can keep track of taken/not taken properties in our posts. Essentially we’ll have a list that you can copy and mark any changes as we good. At the end of each turn post, list your current inventory so we can all make sure it looks correct. If nothing else, this game should be some good practice accounting for y’all. :D

• CommentAuthorAdam
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

I don’t like the free parking windfall idea in general…it changes the game too fast, in my opinion. So, I’d prefer not to have people receive money when they land on free parking. Of course, I’ll still play if everyone else disagrees.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I like the idea of money that technically goes to the bank going to Free Parking (Income Tax, fines, etc.). That’s how we always play it in my family- no seeding required.

How’s the “immunity in trades” thing work?

• CommentAuthorMrHyde

Okay, swenson’s way seems like a good middle ground. No seeding but whatever money money would be paid to the bank goes to free parking instead.

Immunity in trades means things like “the next three times you land on Park Place you won’t have to pay me anything”. Please note: if we allow this, I will rule that exact text plays. For example, when it says “you won’t have to pay me anything”, I could sell Park Place, the other person would collect, they could sell it back after three times of you landing and I could proceed to collect from you (because it’s no longer the next three times, you now do have to pay me). So, yeah, I tend to be a rules lawyer. Which to me is how Monopoly should be played. But I do have cousins who refuse to play the game with me anymore…

Whatever you guys want. If people don’t like immunity or strict interpretation of agreements, we can play differently. But I think it’d make a fun (in a sadistic way) game. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I like the “strict interpretation of agreements” and immunity might not be bad… loopholes are fun. Banker gets final say in all interpretation disputes, though.

And where are trades going to be hammered out? On the OOC (for lack of a better name) thread? And then in the game we can just be like “As discussed, Marvin gives me Park Place. In return, he won’t have to pay me anything the next three times he lands on Park Place and I pay him $500.”

• CommentAuthorAdam

Okay, I like that compromise, and the “strict interpretation” idea.

Dittoes.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

*The 3 version of ditto made plural*
    •  
      CommentAuthorRand
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

Go Free Parking Windfall!

So, are we still doing this?

I think the crickets started without us…

• CommentAuthorMrHyde
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

Heh, sorry guys about the delay. Okay, so I think that’s all good. Honor system for dice rolls? Game’s no fun if you’re cheating anyhow, imho, so I’m willing to trust everyone. I assume Rand’s post here means a confirmation. Ari and OverlordDan haven’t rejoined the new game unless I missed something. So, let’s roll to see who goes first, and 24hours and 35 minutes from now the person with the highest roll so far starts (i.e., don’t worry if everyone hasn’t rolled for first yet, they’ll just start later). That should be Wednesday June 15 3PM CST (banker time). Whoever goes first, start a new thread with the results of your move. After you post your move, the next person has 24 hours to move. If they don’t, the next person after has 24 hours, etc. If you’re late on your turn, you can still post if the person after you hasn’t posted yet. If they have, sorry, you lost a turn.

Everyone starts with $1500, break those out into various denominations as you wish, you can make change freely. ;)

My roll is 8. (I’m going to use http://random.org/dice/?num=2, y’all are free to use whatever you’d like)

I’ll use real dice.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

I got 5.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

11 (a 5 and a 6)

I was so close.

And…I got 7. Darn it.

2. Pooey…

• CommentAuthorAdam
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

Yesssssss it’s starting

I got 9, a 4 and a 5.

Wut?

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

His total was 9. The numbers were a 4, and a 5.

By the way, how are we going to determine the order people go in? It’s not like we’re physically together, so we can’t really say, “okay, the person to the left of swenson (or whatever lucky son-of-a-gun gets a twelve) goes next.” I had thought that maybe we could go highest to lowest rolls, but now that we have two people with nines (and the opportunity for more people to get the same roll as someone else, since some people haven’t rolled yet) how are we going to go about this?

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

Maybe a tie-breaking roll, or something between them?

Alphabetical order?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

^^ sounds good.

• CommentAuthorAdam

Fine with me. But I guess I shouldn’t talk.

So…are we going to start the game? Assuming we’re going in alphabetical order, I’ll make my move when you give the signal.

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

I rolled a 4 (haha, doubles!).

• CommentAuthorMrHyde
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

Huh, so I figured I’d probably missed my first turn but it looks like things have just stalled in my absence. My thought: turn order is based on roll order. Roll off for the ties. So, Swenson has the high roll unless I missed something, and thus goes first. Whenever you’re ready, just roll, make your action, and then post it in a new thread. Then the winner of the 9 roll off, then the loser of the 9 roll off, then me, etc. If players have missed rolling, then they just roll in and are inserted into the order.

If someone’s turn is up but they don’t post for 24 hours, then they just miss a turn, No muss, no fuss, should be a nice safety valve for people having lives and occasionally forgetting about games.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

OK, I’ll start up a new thread for the actual playing of the game.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009 edited

Adam and Dan, you need to roll again to see which of you gets to go first, because one of you gets to go next…

EDIT: I’m putting a playing order in the first post. It’s based on these rolls.

• CommentAuthorAdam

Oops. I rolled again but posted in there. I got a 10 (a 4 and a 6).

• CommentAuthorMrHyde

Yeah, it’s not a problem to post there or here. We’ll temporarily be in both, then once the game really gets started we’ll stay over there. Out of game comments can be blockquoted, or whispered, or whatever to keep them from distracting from the main flow of the game. I don’t think we’ll really need this thread.