Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So. Anything Twilight was trying to be. It could be a book or a movie or a musical (I remember someone saying this about the German musical Elisabeth) or even a poem. It could be a romance or a horror story or a love triangle, or even a story about family. If there was any part of Twilight that you thought was done better by something else, name that something else here! Especially if it’s epic! This may show some people what they’re missing out on by reading Twilight, and not checking these things out. Links and diatribes appreciated.

Go.

Um, Buffy?

Link. Diatribe. Come on!

To be specific, Buffy also had a girl having a relationship with a vampire. What was different was that Buffy was actually a competent character, Angel did not sparkle (nor did any vampire on the show for that matter), their romance did not consist of mostly stalking each other, and there was other stuff going on. Also, the whole vampire sex thing was handled better with the Angelus arc in season 2.

Any paperback romance novel? Like, the “he slipped his cool hand into her bleep“ kind?

Romeo and Juliet, for the opposite sides romance thing? I don't like Romeo, but I dislike Edward Cullen even more. And at least Juliet had SOME strength of character, even if she was for the most part infatuated and completely lovesick.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

To be specific, Buffy also had a girl having a relationship with a vampire. What was different was that Buffy was actually a competent character, Angel did not sparkle (nor did any vampire on the show for that matter), their romance did not consist of mostly stalking each other, and there was other stuff going on. Also, the whole vampire sex thing was handled better with the Angelus arc in season 2.

In the episode where Buffy gains telepathy, the only thoughts she can’t read are Angels. Other vampires are constantly complicating their romantic life.

Argh! Stop ruining Buffy for me D: I don’t want the two always connected in my brainz! :D

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Both Bella and Buffy do manage to graduate from high school despite their time consuming extra-curriculars. Both attend the local community college after high school.

Congrats to them. And no, Bella doesn’t end up going to college.

Also, please, don’t let this thread degenerate into a Buffy/Bella smackdown. This is for books/musicals/movies/etc that should be experienced instead of Twilight for the same (or more) amount of glow.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Buffy > Bella any day of the week. There’s no smackdown, except for Buffy snapping Bella’s neck. It wouldn’t be a very fair fight. Vampire Bella though… that’d be more interesting.

Oh, you guys are annoying.

Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde. I haven’t read it myself, but everyone who has swears it’s what Twilight should have been. Open ending, though.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Smeyer was totally trying to be Anne Rice. I mean, Rice invented pretty vampires.

Like, I mean, totally!

I never particularly cared for pretty, let alone vampires. I mean, why do vampires have to be automatically pretty? being a vampire is anything but pretty - you are an undead abomination living as a parasite, draining people of blood and doing other kinds of nasty stuff. Nosferatu, for example, would never make the cover of Cosmo Girl! But he was still one creepy - ass vampire and one of the very few respectable ones
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

Being pretty makes you more attractive to girls, so you can ravish and eat them more easily.

true, but dont vampires also have something like their own special magic which basically hypnotizes the victim into uselessness?

I like Warhammer Vampires. They have everything from the classy Von Carstein, to my personal favorite, the Strigoi.

:D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I prefer the Lahmians, then Blood Dragons.

Blood Dragons are good game wise, but I don’t like the new edition of them. Strigoi, on the other hand, got the Varghulf

:D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Necrarchs get Zomblie Dragons! And Lahmians can have Thralls!

They still get those, right? I haven’t seen the latest army book…

Everybody gets Zombie Dragons. They got rid of the Clans in the newest edition (they are all just unit types, now D:), and made necromancers almost useless. They did fix the broken necromancy rules, though.

We need a Warhammer thread :D

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009 edited

I'm not sure if this thread hasn't strayed too far, but few days ago, I read Alyzon Whitestarr by Isobelle Carmody for the first time. It's similar to Twilight in many ways; it's first person point of view, via the eponymous title character, a teenaged girl, who develops an extraordinary extension of her senses in an accident involving a truck - She's not run over, the tailgate crashes down on her skull when she tries to save her little brother. (So, she is not almost run over, and she is not saved at all!) Bella should have died there. Or, at the very least, discovered the vampires secret by doing some investigation at the hospital, when she is confined, much less contrived.)

The main difference from Twilight would be that the bloodsuckers are a different kind of parasite, the medical kind. There's also a member of her class who has the parasite, and her reaction to him struck a chord with me. It's how Bella should have reacted to a stalker. Bella should have run for the misty hills. But she didn't, and I'm... I'm...ranting... sorry.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009

Well, not to mention that Twilight is just the cottage industry of stupid vampire romance novels (there are hundreds of them) made friendly for teenagers. There are so many books similar to Twilight but with hot steamy totally unrealistic vampire sex that it’s not really worth mentioning them.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

Both Bella and Buffy do manage to graduate from high school despite their time consuming extra-curriculars. Both attend the local community college after high school.

Just noticed this. Buffy only makes community college because her slayer activities stop her from doing any better at High School. She is actually Important and does Important Things.

Plus, you know, she can’t actually leave the Hellmouth unguarded.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

Robin McKinley’s Sunshine?

Ooh, I was going to read that, but then didn’t. How is it?