Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

I liked the first book of HDM, but then The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass got way too preachy for me. =/ It felt really heavy-handed on that, and the death scene for Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter was really strange. They deserved better.

Oh, another crush: Death from Terry Pratchett’s books. Who cares if he’s a skeleton, whenever I get a new Discworld novel, I scan it before reading for passages containing lines by Death. And when I find one, I dance around in glee.

I hated the end of the Amber Spyglass.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009

ur smart

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Oh, another crush: Death from Terry Pratchett’s books. Who cares if he’s a skeleton, whenever I get a new Discworld novel, I scan it before reading for passages containing lines by Death. And when I find one, I dance around in glee.

YES

Admittedly, haven’t read much of Pratchett. But Death is awesomesauce.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Irene Adler

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Mara Jade, of Star Wars EU. Preeooow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Many incarnations of Death are pretty cool. While the AQ version can burn and die, one of my favorite text adventures (A Fine Day for Reaping) has the Grim Reaper has the main character, and I like him a lot. But not so much in a "literary crush" way, more in an "awwwwww" way.
    • CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

Kitty from the Bartimaeus Trilogy
    Polly Whittacker from Fire and Hemlock
    ...and Tiffany Aching from the Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, (Why can't Pratchett give her series a name?!)

Someone mentioned Hedwig's death; wasn't it supposed to represent his passing into adulthood? St. Hedwig was the patron saint of children, after all.
    Same deal with Lyra and the compass, I suppose.
    -and I suppose their separation was to make the books...tragic.
    Vetinari from Sir Pratchetts Discworld...and Vimes:P
    •  
      CommentAuthorRand
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

No, what gets me is the 'Republic of Heaven' tidbit.

I thought it was a little late. I mean, sure they’ve just fought a war against the Church and stuff, but the whole “You will rebuild Heaven” bit came, when? Last three pages?

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited

I’m not sure how you could like Mrs. Culter. She’s genuinely scary. I would go for Lyra though if I was younger (or she was older).

Mrs. Coulter is a total babe. And daemons don’t necessarily settle when they fall in love, it happens when they grow up. This can be falling in love, but all sorts of different things, or a slow process, can bring about a daemon’s settling.

I never understood Mrs. Coulter. She flip-flopped between “OMG I am so evil watch me turn children into zombies” and “OMG I am so good watch me heroically kill an archangel with my ex to save the world”.

Envy from FMA. None of my friends understand this one.

How could they not understand? :3

My other literary crushes are:
    Kyon from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    L and Near from Death Note.
    Calder from Chasing Vermeer.
    Ed from FullMetal Alchemist.

:D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

Why do people like L?
    He’s supposed to be unlikeable!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited

L and Light are so silly.

Don’t forget Light’s potato chip.

Calder from Chasing Vermeer.

Oh, Calder. dreamy eyes I’d forgotten about him. My personal opinion is that the best scene from any of those books is when

the potato chip OF DOOM!!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

EXACTLY as planned.

Why do people like L?

It’s his voice for me. I like Near more, though, because he managed to catch Light. :D

I dislike L, Light and Near, just as I think the mangaka meant for the reader to. :P Oddly enough, I do like Misa, I guess because she gets in Light’s way.

When reading Death Note originally I can’t remember how I felt about the characters, but it was the epilogue that turned me against those characters, with Near basically saying “I’m not going to catch this serial killer because it wouldn’t be fun for me. That’s what L would have done.”

Because L’s personal satisfaction comes above the deaths of many? Fuck you, Near.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

But… but… L is too awesome to put his personal satisfaction below the deaths of others!

It’s like Sherlock Holmes- he only solves the cases no one else can solve. Near doesn’t think he’s needed to solve that case, so he’ll leave it to the ordinary folk.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Isn’t it that he only takes on cases that he finds interesting, being bored by more mundane cases because of his genius?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Something like that. I’ll interpret him as an adorable loner, though. (L, I mean, not Near)

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

Light is awesome.

I gotta get Death Note…

Ditto.

Me too.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

http://www.onemanga.com/Death_Note/

I’m reading it right now. :P

Thanks Puppet!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Thank CGilga, he was the one who sent the link to me. :P

Well then, my thanks go to you CGilga. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

I actually feel bad for fueling your future fanfics in which Light and Lelouch get together and have a whole family of Seto Kaibas.

And Enjolras, from Les Mis. He's just so heriocally sexy.

Stephen Colly from I Capture The Castle.

Teddy from Little Women. This may have something to do with Christian Bale’s playing him in the movie though… ;)

Teddy from Little Women. This may have something to do with Christian Bale’s playing him in the movie though… ;)

To be fair, I was in love with Laurie before I knew who he was. However, I was in love with Thomas before that. The fact that I was am in love with two CB characters is… awesome.

I like Percy Jackson, but he works so well with Annabeth, so…

•  
      CommentAuthorDelzra
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

If we’re going to talk Manga then I love Kyo, Hatsuharu, Shigure and Momiji from Fruits Basket. I will never be able to choose between them…

if we are talking manga, Im gonna have to go with Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach I have a thing about scarred through – and – hrough homicidal maniacs:P

L! Yes, I do love him. I threw the book across the room I was in (which happened to be a library)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I like Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion, in spite of her many faults.
    Also, Rapha from iD-eNTiTY and Yomi from Azumanga Daioh.

OMG. Did someone mention L?

Was there a cuter creepy-goofy genius out there?
    swoons

And I do have a crush on Mello, too.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ohhh, pshh. Only L counts in my book.

(especially because I, being unobservant as I am, didn’t figure out Mello’s gender for several chapters…)

Weasel from Shield of Stars, Sword of Waters, and Crown of Earth. He looks terrible on the covers, but in my mind he is adorable. And he has a nice personality.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

I generally don't like to break up established couples, so I try to limit my literary crushes to single guys. Though sometimes...
    Nico di Angelo, son of Hades, from the Percy Jackson books.
    Finrod from the Silmarillion
    Murtagh. (don't laugh, I think he's the only decent character in the books. And he calls out hippie elves and can kick Eragon's butt!)
    Faramir from the Lord of the Rings
    And sort of on Feanor and Turin, though it wasn't so much a crush as a fascination with their anti-heroic-ness.
    Prince Rhun from the Prydain books. He's just...sweet, especially after he stops being such a bumbler.
    Tuor from the Silmarillion
    Edmund from the Chronicles of Narnia, and Caspian as well.

Faramir from the Lord of the Rings

I don’t know how many times I have waxed eloquent about what a wonderful character Faramir is, but I really don’t mind doing it again…he is PERFECT. He’s dutiful without being needlessly ambitious, bookish without being a recluse, strong without being boorish (unlike his brother!), perceptive and sensitive without being effeminate…and how cool is it that he ends up with Eowyn, my favorite female character in the series, and possibly of all times?! (Well, except for her suicidal tendencies…)

I actually like Taran more than Rhun, although he can be a bit of an asshat sometimes…but I like conflicted men. Mostly because I know I can solve all their problems :)

But Taran and Eilonwy belong together!

Anyway, I commend your taste, Deborah.

Taran and Eilonwy do belong together, it is true…hehehe, Eilonwy always made me laugh :)

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited

Me too! I did like Taran too, though. He made my favorite characters of all time list! Alexander does a lot of conflicted men. And I love Taran and Eilonwy together. They are so sweet!
    Also, when I read The Princess Bride, I was crushing on Inigo.