Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAmelie
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009

Who are yours? C’mon, don’t be shy! We all have them. Mine are:

— Mr. Darcy from P&P (It’s a truth universally acknowledged that every female who has ever read P&P is in love with him)
    — Peter Pan from Peter Pan (It’s the third grader in me…)
    — Rhett Butler from GWTW... also, to a lesser degree, Ashley Wilkes
    — Lord Richard Selwick from The Secret History of the Pink Carnation. Just finished reading that. And it was HOT, let me tell you.
    — Theodore Lawrence from Little Women (So adorable, yet cultured and refined…)

Ok, that’s enough for now. Let the gushing and spazzing begin.

Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables (my very first, lol), Laurie Lawrence from Little Women, Will Parry from HDM, Jacob Coote from Looking for Alibrandi, the Tarleton boys from GWTW, Gerald Plass from The Sacred Diaries, Murtagh (if you can call him literary) and Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre.

Surprisingly, I didn’t have one on Mr. Darcy. I always figured, nah. I couldn’t intrude on the canon couple of all time lol. Plus he was a little old.

Not all that literary, considering that she’s from a webcomic, but I was into Agatha Heterodyne for a while.

Gilbert Blythe also, Briar from the CoM series by Tamora Pierce, Neal, Numair, Jon, Rosto, and Dale from Tortall, Peter from Heidi (it is indeed one of the first book crushes I recognized), Fang and Iggy from MaxRide, and, for a brief stint in middle school, Hugo Cabret. My newest crush is Weasel from the Shield, Sword, and Crown series by Hilari Bell – the most underrated masterpieces I have seen in a while.

This is only a short list – in eighth grade I tried to count every character I had a crush on, and it came up to over 25. And this was years ago.

Neal of Queenscove… yes!!! How could I forget?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Mr. Darcy… yes, yes…

I also like L from Deathnote and Dark from DNAngel and completely not going to tell the rest. Wayyyy too embarrassing.

Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov of Crime and Punishment. He was tall, dark and uncommonly handsome. He was also an axe-murderer.

I can’t say I had a “crush” on him, though. It was more of a confusing, conflicted empathy/fascination/emotional investment thing that grew and grew until I loved him as much as Sonya. No, I will never exchange letters with an inmate or think I love one. Totally different.

Also,

Percival Blakeney from The Scarlet Pimpernel
    Andre-Louis From Scaramouche:A Romance of the French Revolution
    And the Count of Monte Cristo, aka, Edmund Dantes

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Nell from Diamond Age and Francie from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. <_< Spunky girls are attractive.

Sydney Carton....*swoon*
    I'm sure there are others...

Percival Blakeney was awesome, YES!

Lol, don’t mind me, just commenting, here…

Meera Reed from A Song Of Ice And Fire. She's cute, funny, and knows how to fight!
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Meera Reed from A Song Of Ice And Fire. She’s cute, funny, and knows how to fight!

Oh, yeah. I wouldn’t really go for any of the other women in ASoIaF though. Arya is nuts, Sansa is too girly (maybe she’ll be better after being with Littlefinger a while), etc.

Sydney Carton…sigh Such an underdog. I always liked him better than that other lucky fop anyway…

Where’s Sydney Carton from?

A Tale of Two Cities.

Bad of me not to give the book. Apologies.
    Faramir from LotR
    Sam and Pippin from LotR (yes, I would like to live in a hobbit hole after I'm married. how did you know?)
    Darcy from P+P
    Gilbert Blythe from the Anne of Green Gables books

I thought I was the only Gilbert lover! What a pleasant surprise!

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

I am, too. Believe me, you're not alone, Steph :)

I don’t know whether to be happy or jealous.

"Oh, yeah. I wouldn’t really go for any of the other women in ASoIaF though. Arya is nuts, Sansa is too girly (maybe she’ll be better after being with Littlefinger a while), etc."

The only other one I can think of is Yggritte, the rest are all insane. From other books, there is Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. Maybe.
    I'm glad you started this thread!

Mr. Darcy
    Gilbert Blythe (Anne of Green Gables)
    Faramir (LotR)
    Aragorn (LotR)
    Artemis Fowl
    Draco Malfoy (Harry Potter, don't ask)
    Horatio (Hamlet)
    Westly (the Princess Bride)
    Stefan Bashkir (the Supernaturalist)

And... That's it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Hermione. Though the fact that Emma Watson is a total babe probably has something to do with this.
    I also rather liked Kitty, from Bartimaeus trilogy. She seems very passionate.
    Oh and Petra, from Ender’s Shadow and sequels.

Hmmm, Mario from the book titled Nintendo 64 Manual, there was Roblago from the book called Git Bettar Haer Naow.

I dunno really, fealing on a czarkastic noet today.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Sofia Marmeladova from Crime & Punishment. You’ve just got to love her for taking care of Rodion.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Miriamele from Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
    Arya from ASOIAF
    Alisa Donnikova from Night Watch
    Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi, if manga/anime count, before I found out ‘she’ was a man.

Sofia Marmeladova from Crime & Punishment. You’ve just got to love her for taking care of Rodion.

high five

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited

Sydney Carton! I’d forgotten about him! Aww… I always felt so bad for him. I mean, he never gets anything, does he? He never gets the girl he wants, he ends up dying for his rival in a country that’s not even his own… poor guy.

I’ve always been more a Beren than an Aragorn girl, but I’ll take both.

I also love Ender and Percy Jackson. And I kind of half fell in love with Hector when I read the Iliad.

Videogames… Gordon Freeman and Barney Calhoun, obviously.

But how can you break up Beren and Luthien?! The mere thought is sacrilege.

Call me weird but I never fell in love with a character from a book.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Bella Swan.

Just kidding, I agree with CB, though I haven't (yet) fallen in love with a character. :P
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Oh, this is hardly love anyways. More of an infatuation. :P

Only happened one with a movie character lol

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Which movie character, CB?

And @SWQ, yeah... I know... oh well. *steals Beren anyway*

Aya Kito

To be fair it was a mini-series, not a movie, so you get attached to the protag

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Call me weird but I never fell in love with a character from a book.

Yea, I kinda agree. I mean, I can list female characters that I like (and I have done just that), but it’s not as if I actually wish they were real so that I could be with them. Even before I read up on twilight, found this sit,e and became a legit anti, that was what wierded me out about twilight fans. Maybe it’s more of a chick thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Kinda like Sly said, it's not feelings in the same way as an actual person, it's just a fondness, I guess. I find the same thing scary about Twitards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Yea, I overstated that a little, hence the edit

-edit
    Just out of curiosity, how often do you guys click the “submit” button, instantly think of something that you should have said (or said differently), and frantically try to edit your message before anyone can read it?

I don't know. Semi-often.

Yeah, it's not really like you love the character and want to be with them forever, it's that you think they're cool(er) than the other characters perhaps. And if there was a guy out there in real life like them that couldn't hurt either. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Sirius Black,

and Fred.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

@Artimaeus-- I've defintely done that a few times :]
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I guess I do have a "literary crush", on Deamons from Golden Compass, sometimes I wish I could have one. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Ferris Vansen from Shadowmarch.
    I always had a thing for Robin Hood (Howard Pyle). ^^
    Jacob… duh.
    Conor Broekhart from Airman.
    Faramir
    Quincey Morris from Dracula… you have no idea how many tears I shed over that book.
    Alex Rider. Yep. When I was 13, he was the subject of all my dizziest daydreams.
    Etc., etc.

Really, to all you Mr. Darcy ladies, I liked Mr. Bingley more.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ugh, never. He’s too easily swayed by people around him. I like a man who can stand up for himself. Like Darcy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

His first name is Fitzwilliam. Sorry, but there’s no way I’m falling head over heels for a guy named Fitzwilliam.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Quiet, you. It isn't really. You just think it is. His real first name is something much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Span, I've thought about that. I think I'd just have to call him "dear" or "darling" all the time. If I absolutely had to, maybe I'd call him Will. But Fitzwiliam is a dealbreaker, I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Fitzy? *dies from horror*

Strangely, I wrote a paper on how awesome Charles Darnay was. I dare to be different!

And I also love both Stefan and Artemis.

And Percy Jackson is… swoon My brother loves Percebeth (and Annabeth), and we spent a good hour wondering whether or not Percy was her uncle. This was before we read The Last Olympian, with the whole

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

I have a thing for Sam from LotR.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Sam? Heh, he dependable and lovable in a way. Usually when I hear people going for hobbits they go for Frodo though. Nobody seems to appreciate how funny Merry or Pippin could be. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Meh, I never went for either Frodo or Sam. Sam is too... well, is "country" the right word? (says the girl who lives in the middle of nowhere, used to ride horses, and attends a school with less than 700 people) And Frodo is just... I dunno, but how on Earth could you ever live with Frodo? He's just too messed up.

In the book, I like Merry, because he's awesome like that, but in the movies I like Pippin more. (He has a Scottish accent! I love Scottish accents! *swoon*)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl

I like Pippin in the movie too, particularly after his song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Merry and Pippin were terrific. In the books and the movies.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Sansa is too girly (maybe she’ll be better after being with Littlefinger a while)

If by “better” you mean “totally broken,” then yeah. :P

@IcyPearl:

Me too! I love a guy who can sing. And he has a Scottish accent. What more could you want?

But I love Sam too. He's the kind of guy I'd probably end up with in real life. I hope, because he's a sweetheart. (His crush on Rosie is so cute)

@ Artimaeus: all the time. I’d say about 60-70% of my posts are frantically edited.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009

Gilbert Blythe, Numair Salmalin (Thank you, Tamora Pierce), Severus Snape, Lucius Malfoy, Bill Weasley, Aragorn, Feanor, Turin (From the Silmarillion),Captain Hook (The 2003 movie version, Jason Isaacs is just so...so...yummy), Mr. Darcy, Mr. Knightley, Mr. Rochester.

Mr. Rochester! How could I forget him?!

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Oh, dear. So many of these. Rather embarrassing, yes. I suppose they’re not so much literary crushes as Characters I Fangirl (Hard), though.

John Thornton, from Elizabeth Gaskell’s North and South
    Captain Wentworth, from Jane Austen’s Persuasion
    Finn, from Eva Ibbotson’s Journey to the River Sea
    Quin, from Eva Ibbotson’s Morning Gift
    Marak, from Clare Dunkle’s Hollow Kingdom books
    Seylin, from Clare Dunkle’s Hollow Kingdom books
    Teddy, from Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women
    Numair Salmalín, from Tamora Pierce’s Daine books
    Landen, from Victoria Hanley’s The Seer and the Sword
    Hobbits and Faramir, from Lord of the Rings (obviously)
    Gilbert Blythe, from LM Montgomery’s Anne books
    Erik, from Gaston Leroux’s Phantom of the Opera
    Bran, from Juliet Marillier’s Son of the Shadows
    Cathal, from Juliet Marillier’s Heir to Sevenwaters

That’s all I can think of at the moment. There’re more, but it’s already embarrassingly long.

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

If I was a guy, I’d be madly in love with Petra from Ender’s Game as well. As a girl, I love Rhett Butler. I was re-reading Gone with the Wind just now and everything he does is so incredibly attractive.

Aw, Finn from Journey to the River Sea was kind of cute.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I liked the bit where Clovis was like, “Can I have Maia when she grows up?” and Finn goes “NO.”

<3

Poor Clovis. I always felt bad for him.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ender! Yes! And Bean! I love them both. (I think I already said this…)

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

Ender, I don’t see as sexual at all. And Bean… eh… he’ll always be the infant-child stuffed in the toilet seat.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I never felt that way about Ender until I read Ender in Exile.

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

What way about Ender?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009 edited

Having a crush on him. He’s too young in Ender’s Game, too old in the later books.

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

And he’s bald in the first couple of books.

If we’re talking about Eva Ibbotson, I have a serious crush on Zed. Zed is amazing. Zed is hot. Zed likes horses and like Annika and is a Romany and… fangirl squee

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Oh Oh! I like Marak too, Elanor! But I can’t encourage the feeling because I like Kate too much too have secret feelings for her husband.

I also like Tristan from the James Herriot books.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Precisely. :D That’s why I fangirl all of them instead of really having crushes on them—I have too much love for the canon pairings.

Mm, Zed. Yes. I didn’t like Star of Kazan as a book tooooo much, but Zed was lovely.

Also, how can anyone named Zed not be fantastic?

IGNORETHETERRYGOODKINDIAMSITTINGONIT

The objects of my fangirl obsessions (and the reasons I can't roll my eyes at Edward fans without feeling like a hypocrite)

Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights
    Sirius Black from Harry Potter
    Tawl from the Book of Words series by JV Jones
    Zorro (he doesn't have a book, but still has the world's sexiest accent)
    Wolverine
    Light, L, and Mello from Death Note...mostly Mello, but he's only around for the second half of the series, and Light and L are both pretty hot.
    Envy from FMA. None of my friends understand this one.

Speaking of Wolverine, when I was watching the new movie the girl next to me kept talking about how hawt he was. I ended up sitting in the back corner of the theater.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

Zorro does have a book, though. Isabel Allende wrote a book on him, among maaany other people to write Zorro books.

Edqward Cullen iz lyk SO HAWTTTT!!!1!!!! I TOTTALLY Have a crushon him!!!!!1!!

Heathcliff? *Shudder* Ewewewewewewewew

He HANGS A DOG, puts a trap over a nest so the baby birds die, and systematically ruins the lives of everyone he knows! Are you NUTS?

On the other hand, I now feel better about crushing on Severus Snape and Captain Hook :P

I like Heathcliff! He’s so damn tragic, I feel so sorry for him. Seriously, he and Cathy should have gotten together, if only to save Edgar and Isabella from their pettiness and misery.

But then again, they really loved each other, and maybe they would’ve been happier together. Stormy, but happier.
    I wonder how it would’ve turned out…

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Wuthering Heights is one of those books that I have absolutely no idea why I like at all. I want to punch both of them in the face for being selfish, spiteful bastards. All that damn revenge at other people’s expense. Look how many lives it wrecked.

...but I still love the book anyway.

I suppose they really are the epitome of stereotypical passionate love. I think that they really did love each other, and would’ve been happier together. Really happy only in a word where one couldn’t suspect the other of cheating, though. Huuuge insecurities, I think, on both sides.

But I love Heathcliff!
    Since he isn't real, his insanity appeals to me because he was a refreshing change from the too-good-to-be-true male leads of many of today's romance novels. Yeah, he's nuts, and yeah, if he appeared in real life I'd hide and call the cops, but he's not, so I can fangirl to my heart's content over his insanity and lack of anger management and fierce passion, no matter how psychopathic. He has flaws. I like flaws. Not out of any desire to fix them (after all, the characters who have them don't really exist), but because they are flaws.
    Which, incidentally, was why I was so pissed off when Edward quoted Heathcliff in Eclipse or whatever. Way to take a declaration of real, selfish passion that reeked of humanity and imperfection and turn it into a pansy love song, given to a woman that Cathy would have eaten for breakfast in a moment with absolutely no romantic tension.
    Rant over.

Zorro has books? I did not know that. I wonder if he is also sexy in print....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

My crushes are limited to one person:

Fred Weasley. <3 <3 <3

Ok, Weasley twins.... yes, I am a sicko, but...but... both of them.... *Dopey grin*
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Idk, George never really caught my attention. Maybe his name is too serious-sounding??

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Fred always had the better lines in the book, I thought. And Fred’s just a cuter name.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I don’t really like either name, because both were the names of incompetent villains in a story a friend of mine wrote. Lovable incompetent villains, perhaps, but not exactly cute.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

That was the biggest shock when he died, for me. The rest were more acceptable somehow, but killing Fred just didn’t settle well with me. It still hasn’t settled well with me.
    :( :(

My grandpa’s name was George.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

My presiden’t‘s name was George.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Alot of those deaths were tough. Tonks dying bothered me. Lupin I understand, since it completes the four Marauders. But Tonks seemed so out of place. And all they said was how they were two of the bodies lined up. It was a definite WTF moment for me. At least Fred got a death scene.

1. Inspector Javert.
    2. Dmitry Karmazov.
    3. Prince Myshkin
    4. Raskolnikov (but only a little. The others were fairly obsessive)

I started spazzing when

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

That was an awful part.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009

I have to admit, I never did much like Tonks/Lupin. It seemed a lot like her throwing himself at his head and him being too nice to refuse her outright.

I was laughing the whole time Harry was about to 'die'. ;P
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I have a crush on Marisa Coulter from Golden Compass, mostly for her wit and cunning though. >_>
    Fred died? Hedwig died?

Sheesh, I have GOT to read Harry Potter before I come across any more spoilers.

I always liked Will Parry from HDM. But I think I mentioned that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I was Very Angry when Fred died.

...shh, I’m still in denial.

•  
      CommentAuthorRand
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

Argh! Mrs. Coulter creeps me out! For some reason, I've never gotten over her stabbing out the eyes of that angel dude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

Which angel dude? Every time somebody talks about His Dark Materials, they always say something different. Like one person said Lyra set a angel on fire. :P