Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So, I’m not as into writing culture as I am into art culture. In any art circle, there are some books that people always recommend (Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain) and some books that people always say you should avoid (Anything by Chris Hart). My question is are there any books on writing that are commonly recommended to engaged in or are so bad they’ll make you write worse?

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2012

Er…I’d recommend How Not to Write a Novel or On Writing. Both are pretty good, and have some good insight.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Dear Writer, by Carmel Bird. I recently got to have my copy signed by Carmel herself at a writers festival, and we sat down and talked about my writing goals and how to achieve them. :D

I definitely do NOT recommend “Literary Theory: An Anthology” (edited by Julie Rivkin et al.), as it is a black hole of pretentious academia and affected elitist posing.

I second the recommendation for On Writing, and I would like to add The Writer’s Reader : A Guide To Writing Fiction & Poetry, ed. Brenda Walker. It’s basically a compilation of essays by various established authors on a large variety of writing-related topics, such as voice, narration, perspective, pacing, poetic techniques, and so on. Definitely worthwhile.

Also, A Passion For Narrative by Jack Hodges, a writer with a unique but very deep understanding of the craft of writing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’ll tell you what book to not get, and that is the Marshall Plan for Novel Writing

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

It’s more on the technical side, but I’ve always found Painless Writing to have some helpful tips about making prose sound good. I’m not sure how much value it’d be to this crowd, since you’re all pretty well-versed on that stuff, but I might as well throw it out there!

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by the recently departed Diana Wynne Jones.

Er…I’d recommend How Not to Write a Novel or On Writing. Both are pretty good, and have some good insight.

Ditto. The first one’s quite funny, and really helps you learn what wrong things can look like. The second one is a good insight into King’s methods, and writing in general, in a no bullshit sort of way.
    On a related note, I’d love to see Meyer write a book like King’s On Writing.

•  
      CommentAuthorAvidAbey

I support the recommendation on How Not to Write a Novel. Very readable and accessible (and funny, as Minoan said) with sensible suggestions and advice. It’s definitely a good book for a beginning writer, and it helped clarify several things for me (far from a novice, but not necessarily self-aware of all that I can or should do) when I read it. The best thing that writing books will teach you is to pay scrupulous attention to what you’re putting down, and that one does that quite ably.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose

• CommentAuthorDanielle

I second The Tough Guide to Fantasyland. One of the most hilarious books I’ve ever read—with some very snarky examples of what not to do.

Fondling Your Muse may not have the most meat on its bones, but it’s one of the few books that ever made me laugh out loud. It also has some fun examples of what not to do (though, if you’re not into that sort of thing, I’d recommend skipping the chapter on sex scenes. However, it’s one of the funniest in the book).

Creating Characters: How to Build Story People is wonderful. It give some great hands-on advice in a very accessible way.

Revision is a good look at the revising process. The author uses some examples from his own work, and while the prose isn’t my cup of tea (he doesn’t quite live up to Proulx’s level of verbal affectation, but in some of his stories he does have an annoying habit of leaving the quote tags off of his dialogue) the advice is excellent.

And Unstuck has some great tips for breaking through writer’s block.

Reading Like A Writer and Writing Tools are wonderful. I took them with me to college because I love them so much.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012

Story by Robert McKee is quite fantastic.

Thank you very much for the recommendations. I’d rather take recommendations from people over taking a blind guess, learning the wrong technique and having to untrain some of the bad advice.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012 edited

I’m going to have to check out some of these. For someone who likes to get all full of myself about writing advice and theories and whatnot, I really haven’t read that many.

Ah well, I have to buy a bunch of books for the next semester anyway. Might as well buy some of these too! They’ll probably be cheaper…

EDIT: Aaaand… I’ve now bought 30 bucks worth of writing books. I got Tough Guide to Fantasyland (which I’ve wanted to get forever anyway), Reading Like a Writer, and How Not to Write a Novel. Let’s see if your recommendations really are any good. :wink

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I can vouch for Reading Like a Writer. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Seconded.

YESYESYES to both of these.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2012

I got all of my books today! I’m super excited to read all of them (especially the Tough Guide to Fantasyland), but I also have an episode of MST3K to finish watching tonight… dilemmas, dilemmas.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012

Diana Wynne Jones is a brilliant genius, and I love her more than ever now. The Tough Guide to Fantasyland is brilliant and hilarious. I get the feeling she and Limyaael would’ve gotten along well.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

The Tough Guide to Fantasyland is brilliant and hilarious.

It’s a book that everyone should read at least once. Just to remind them of what has been done to death. I loved her section on the Mentor.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

Currently reading a fantastic book on writing and the artistic process:

The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield

^ The author sounds familiar. Is he the one who wrote ‘Gates of Fire’? That was a good book.

^ The author sounds familiar. Is he the one who wrote ‘Gates of Fire’? That was a good book.

Pretty sure he is. Also wrote “Turning Pro” which is pretty good, and relates to other artistic endeavors like The War of Art .

Save up money and buy a textbook. I am reading Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft and for once I understand what I am doing. Too many people present writing as something mystical that cannot be learned like any other subject.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012 edited

Too many people present writing as something mystical that cannot be learned like any other subject.

Speaking of, I recently read a book written sometime in the 30s(?) on that very subject—John Gardner even wrote the forward—called Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande. It’s just really practical advice for how to get over all the mental hangups that are common among amateur writers: basically a refute to all the writing teachers who insist it has to be a gift. I remember one line about how no one tells wanna be painters or engineers they can’t be taught. The advice to own two typewriters may be a little outdated (although you could just switch that to laptops), and she mentions observing your streetcar conductor or motorman, but otherwise it holds up well.

The other day I heard someone scolded for saying “computer” instead of “laptop”. I find it unlikely there will be a wholesale shift towards iPads and other devices of that ilk because the keyboards are terrible.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012

Because a laptop is somehow not a computer? Now, in writing, it’s probably best to be specific, because strictly speaking iPads are also computers, and so it’s not a specific sort of word. But I bought a laptop for that very reason, even though my aunt scolded me for not getting an iPad—she’s an Apple junkie without any clear reason…there’s no reason I’m getting a tablet when I only want a portable device for writing and I’m definitely not getting any of the MacBooks for just typing. /off topic

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Besides, typing on a tablet is horrible.

On another genre, I recommend A Poet’s Guide to Poetry, if you ignore the stiflingly pretentious introduction.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

For any fellow fantasy writers out there, I just finished reading The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy. It’s got interviews with Madeline L’Engle, Phillip Pullman, Garth Nix, Ursula LeGuin, and many more. While I wouldn’t consider myself a personal fan of all of the writers represented, their advice is excellent.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013

If you want to write better essays for school, The New Oxford Guide to Writing is pretty good.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I found Language in Action by S.I. Hayakawa to be an extremely useful book. It not only improved my writing, but also my thinking.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I found Ray Bradbury’s Zen in the Art of Writing at a used bookstore a while ago. It’s basically just a number of his essays about his process and philosophy, but he has some great observations, and a fun attitude. Not sure I thought the few poems included were quite as good, but I did like one or two.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013

@Thea, that sounds fantastic. As a consummate lover of anything Zen I will definitely check that out.

I’d recommend Bird by Bird and The Art of War for Writers.