Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I see certain terminology being reprised again and again across multiple sporks. I don’t know if these are common through all sporking or it’s just an impish exclusive, but I like to think such words add to II’s identity. So let’s start an encyclopedia of these terms!

I’ll give you guys two words now to write a synopsis of. When we’ve beaten them into zombie horses, I’ll think of more words for you guys to define (or you can think of them yourselves since I’m not a very active forum goer)

Speshul

Evilâ„¢

DEFINE THEM!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

I’ve always heard “speshul” in reference to Eragon, to be honest, in the sense of a Mary Sue who was so obviously an Author Pet/Avatar that nothing could ever possibly come against them, they’re too special. So incredibly special, in fact, that they transcend specialness to become truly speshul.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Evilâ„¢. eeeee-vil adj., sing./pl.

1. Used to describe over-the-top representations of scum and villainy, in particular those with no clear reason to act in the cartoonishly vicious manner they favor. See Alana Terrence.

2. Used to describe a character whose purpose is to be the villain and by his/her evilness to justify the protagonists’ actions, but whose real actions do not fit the arbitrary plot role they are assigned. See Galbatorix.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Spork:

A unprofessional and entertaining critique of literature.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Wonkaing

Like Godwin’s Law, only with Willy Wonka.

(It all comes back to Willy Wonka…)

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

Speshul is also used to imply a lack of mental development/maturity (as in, “mommy says I’m speshul!”). Basically, the characters are happily and unwittingly being handed the Idiot Ball, but Author Intervention prevents them from ever suffering from some of the truly terrible decisions they make, some of which (especially in the realm of terrible fanfiction) could be used as anecdotal evidence for a character having medically diagnosable mental retardation.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

I’d add to Puppet’s definition of spork that it generally refers to a specific type of critique in which the piece of literature is broken down and commented on line-by-line, or at least paragraph-by-paragraph. It’s more or less the same thing as an “MST3King”, which is where sporking originated—commenting on and mocking a horrible piece of writing in the same style as Mystery Science Theater 3000 did for terrible sci-fi movies. However, I’d argue that most sporks today go more for a literary analysis and breaking down why a piece is so horrible, rather than simply mocking it like MST3K or Rifftrax.

Absolutely Positively Wrong – A hidden plot point that is easily guessable to the audience, but the author thinks it will be a shocking reveal.