Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBloo
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012

Bloo starts a discussion and disappears, round three!

So everyone has these—ranging from nitpicky things to entire universes they’d like to either see come to life, or bring to life themselves. Write down a list of yours, feel free to comment on others’, etc.

1. High Urban Fantasy. This is a name I coined for something that probably already exists, but I thought up while rereading the Deltora Quest series. What happens to your typical high fantasy kingdom in an age where you can Skype with elves and it’s the president, not the king, that is in charge of protecting Dangerous Artifact #572? What about forming treaties with other races, where the war on terror involves magic as well as technology? I’m not talking about our earth, although it could work well here too if magic was already out. Basically—Middle Earth in the computer age.

2. Nice guy wins. I’m tired of the main ending up with the sexy, personality-less bad boys. I’ve never had much interest in those types, myself, so it’s mainly just a personal thing.

3. Happy, involved families. Why are the parents always out of the loop? Why are all these girls who fall in love with werewolves only children? Non-dysfunctional, two-parent, multi-child houses actually exist. I know, I live in one.

4. Popular protagonists. Maybe not at the top of the food chain, but not at rock bottom, either. It’s okay for them to have a few mortal friends that they don’t dump as soon as Magical Angel Boyfriend comes on the scene.

5. Supernatural creatures who actually like being supernatural creatures, and aren’t the bad guys. With all these awesome powers, you’d think the vampire/werewolf/shapeshifter/fallen angel/whatever would actually ENJOY being something besides human. But no, it’s angst, angst, angst.

6. Dragons. I know a lot of people write them, but they never seem to show up much in urban fantasy or YA, which is what I usually read. And not the ones that turn into humans so they can be love interests, either; I’m talking about the kind that’s actually cool.

So, have at it, you guys.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I’ve always wanted to write a mute protagonist and a symbiotic human relationship (think Zimmy and Gamma in Gunnerkrigg Court) for no reason other than finding the concepts interesting. I can’t say I’ve read too much of either, apart from the previous example.

Also, even though ASOIAF is pretty much the only fantasy I read, I’d like to see a story in which a prophecy about a hero saving the world ends up being wrong.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

My ultimate one-day ambition is a copper-age historical fantasy exploring colonial and post-colonial issues in a subtropical island tribe, from the point of view of a colonised ex-chief. The post-colonial theories really fascinate me, and I think islander groups don’t get nearly enough love in books.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012 edited

Hmm. Well, for myself, I’d like to read about interesting women who I can actually come to like. Adult fiction’s starting to bore me with these can-relate-to characters. I really don’t care about someone who’s your average wife and mother, has [insert random tragedy] happen to her and well, the rest that follows is usually pretty boring. Sure, death is bad. Kidnapping, rape, your child getting molested; those are all terrible things. I can really appreciate stories that move me, but I’d like to not just have to pity the victim and be angry about a particular situation (even though the book’s fiction, this stuff happens) and have it stop there. I’d like to actually feel something more for the main character, be it the mother of the victim, friend, sister, etc. ‘Cause right now I’m finding them utterly boring.

With fantasy, I want to see less of the kind of female characters that Wilbur Smith creates. I noticed he’s not the only one who follows the example of creating incredibly intelligent, physically perfect, blemish-free (seriously, all his characters always have to be blemish-free, he’s always going on about that) characters. Intelligence is good. But coupling it with rotten personalities makes me mad. I’ve also read much about main characters that are completely unsympathetic towards, well, everyone. Everybody only cares about themselves. Apparently creating incredibly powerful, yet, selfish, gorgeous, vain characters is a good thing. Because it’s just so damn thrilling to read about attractive, self-centred people who are willing to step over whoever to get what they want. It’s rubbish.

As for what I’d like to see put out there for others, mainly younger readers, as I’m concentrating on writing for a younger age group, is a deviation from the black and white when it comes to the characters. The sides are always made pretty clear: good and evil. You may get good characters that act like jerks sometimes, then there’s the villains that you can sympathize with, but in the end, we know who’s supposed to come out on top. What about removing that completely and just creating people? Everyone with their own motives, own justifications that the reader can sympathize with and have to work out who they think is right.

I’m working on something where I have a character who starts of as a heroine, but then starts to see things differently; from her enemy’s point of view. This view isn’t necessarily bad, but it goes against what the heroine’s people believe in and is therefore seen as ‘evil’ throughout at least most of the beginning of the story. Until some light is shed on the true motivations of the other side. So it’s mostly differences that I would have in the story between the two sides; these constant clashes, but neither side is necessarily the ‘good’ or ‘bad’ one. I’d like to see young readers being exposed to more of that and be able to create something like that myself and do a good job of it. I’d like for the readers to have to really think about the situation, justify each character’s motives and decide for themselves who is right. It may seem like too much to ask as, when reading for leisure, kids are unlikely to take it as an exercise and analyze the content, really scrutinize each and every single factor, but I think they’d be doing this without even realizing it; Constantly trying to figure out: who should I be rooting for? Which character is really the one with best of intentions and why do I think she’s more justified in doing this than the other is?

To a child, that kind of material could be a lot more challenging than the kind that already provides this comfortable symmetry where the divide is completely clear between the good and bad and doesn’t leave much up to that reader other than to observe how that struggle plays out until good, inevitably, wins.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012

My big thing that I’ve always wanted to write (first inkling of ideas showed up eight years ago) is an urban fantasy based around, OK, so if elves/fairies/whatever you want to call them really existed today, how would it work? Why would no one know about them? Where would they live? Would they have treaties with our governments or work undercover in our armies or what? I just feel like so often in fantasy, people just don’t consider the ramifications of these things. This would be mostly urban fantasy, but I suspect it would end up with some mild scifi elements as well, seeing as this other species would have different uses of technology as the rest of us.

This whole idea also ties in with some other things I’d like to write—a protagonist who is kind of a jerk and isn’t excused for it (basically, I want to make a female anti-hero be the protagonist, where you root for her, sure, but you still recognize she’s a jerk) and an in-depth look at what the world is like from the perspective of a nonhuman character. People always say “you have to have a human character so the audience has someone to connect with, and they could never connect with a nonhuman”. Well, I think that’s absolute nonsense, and I’d like to prove that by writing a story from the perspective of someone who isn’t human.

I also want to write a messy sci-fi story. “Messy” in the sense that it’s a complex universe. There isn’t a “good” side and a “bad” side. There isn’t ultimate peace and tranquility with a benevolent Authority over all, but it’s not an evil oppressive dystopia either. I want to write about a universe where aliens are sinners and saints, just like humans, with a lot of diversity, rather than a galaxy made up of Planets of Hats. So basically… I want to write a Mass Effect novel. :P

@Sen – I like the idea where the “evil” point of view is reconsidered. I love stories where the issue is not so much “these people are evil and these ones are good”, but more about “we think this way and you think that way”. Maybe everyone wants the same good end, just they disagree. And maybe one side does go about working toward this goal in by doing “evil” things, but maybe they really do have legitimate justifications for all of that. Even if you determine in the end that the “good” side really was good all along, I think it’d be interesting to at least say “well, the other side is OK too.”

My heroine is a chronic alliance-switcher, conspicuously lacking in anything resembling patriotism or family ties. (Her rationale initially resembles ‘you are nice to me, I should go along with you’ before she realizes that people who aren’t kind to her may have valid points as well, and ultimately ends up on the side of compromise simply because she’s spent so much time on both sides of the fence.)

I also am trying to pull off a world that involves both magic and technology. So yeah, urban fantasy to a certain extent. I like Dickensian cities. With magic!

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012

I definitely love High Urban fantasy. Bordertown is my favorite series ever, and i love the idea of combining magic with modern technology. I actually have written a story with the elvish version of Facebook- it’s interesting.
    I want to write/ read stories with flawed, but basically good characters. So, the complete opposite of Eragon and Bella. I also have this secret love of angst.
    And any kind of story that isn’t black and white when it comes to a war..

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’d love to see more High Urban Fantasy. Mostly, I want to see settings where the supernatural populace doesn’t have to worry about keeping their existence a secret.

As for me, I’m hoping to get a certain amount of moral ambiguity in some of my stuff. Example – the setting for my last Impish Writing thing, I want to make sure I portray Otto von Bismarck as more of an ambitious, semi-altruistic patriot who just happens to be on the side against the protagonists. Not sure how well this will come across, given that he’s building up an army of mechanical soldiers in the first story.

Otto von Bismarck as more of an ambitious, semi-altruistic patriot who just happens to be on the side against the protagonists. Not sure how well this will come across, given that he’s building up an army of mechanical soldiers in the first story.

Um, this sounds awesome. Just sayin’.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Thanks. Now I just need to make sure it ends up as good as it sounds.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

Nice guy wins.

THIS.

I’d like to write anything that can be described with the word “gripping” truthfully. I’d like to write dramatic, intense, powerful, moving stories, the kind that leave you a little breathless afterward.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

If I can write a story as beautiful as The Last Unicorn, I will die happy.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I want to write something that shows light in the darkness. I want to write a convincing Dark Lord—and I want to write about the heroes who oppose him, to prove that it can still work as a story. I would like to write about characters with true nobility—of character, and not just of position. I would like to write about true love, that isn’t lame or sappy. I would like to write a fantasy about someone who goes to another world—like Narnia—and winds up staying there, because the people need her.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

^^ For all my talk about ambiguity, I agree with you. I’d also like to write something that is pretty black-and-white, yet still workable. Maybe gray-and-white rather than black-and-white (I’d still want at least somewhat ambiguous villains), but it’s true, nobility and honor do seem to be minimized these days.

People fighting ninjas with swords and hurting inside.

People fighting ninjas with swords and hurting inside.

This made me laugh. It’s a such a sort description, but that actually describes it pretty well.

I want to write about too many things.

Bloodshed, carnage, war, soldiers, cavalry charges, rebellion, human irrationality.
    • CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

Something that shows absolute morality working within the vagaries of life.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Stories that make people laugh. And smile. And hopefully not cringe.

bq. Something that shows absolute morality working within the vagaries of life.

This. People go on and on about grey areas but IMO there's a line between good and evil it's just people cross back and forth all the time.
    • CommentAuthorCrunchy

I'd love to see/write something with relationships that aren't romantic ones. Romance bores me. There are so many other kinds of relationships people have, it's a shame most of the things I've read are focused on the ones that involve sex. >_<
    • CommentAuthorDanielle

This. People go on and on about grey areas but IMO there’s a line between good and evil it’s just people cross back and forth all the time.

Morality is such a complex area, and it’s not just kids who like to restrict it to black-and-white. And we’ve all heard about the grey areas, but that seems to me another way to make it neat and tidy: A lot of authors I’ve been forced to read—and even books that have, for some strange reason, attained “classic” status—like to say, “Well, there are a couple things that might be black and white, but just about everything is grey, so one action isn’t any better or worse than another. But that’s not how it is at all. There are actions that fall into “black,” like cold-blooded murder; and there are actions that fall into “white,” like working at a homeless shelter. We humans can even muddy those waters with our motivations: You can kill someone to protect someone else—which is still bad, but is it less or more of a sin because your motivations were pure? Conversely, you can help the homeless—which is still good, but is it better or worse that you’re only doing it to impress the cute youth pastor you have a crush on? Moreover, actions that fall into “grey,” like drinking alcohol, cannot be definedonly by motivation, but only by the impact they have on you and on others. How close to “black” those grey areas get depend on you.

Sorry. I’m rambling again….

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Rambling is good, believe me. That’s a very good ramble.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

What I mean is: a story where the characters have a moral code, and are trying to live up to it. They slip up occasionally, because they’re human, but they don’t just give it over and live however they want.

(And, with the villain I have in one story, I’ve found that someone who will do anything for their goal is the most frightening person yet. This guy wants revenge. He has chosen to ignore any morals about what he ought to do, in order to get it. Anyone who gets in his way is fair game. Of course, in another story I’m planning, there is a man who will do anything for the woman he’s obsessed with. What he actually does is torture and kill people, since he thinks she’ll like it. She’s a really horrible person anyway, but she never notices him the way he wants her to, though she comes to depend on him. And it’s kind of creepy anyway, since she’s his employer—and he’s completely insane.)

I also want to write witty dialogue. It’s surprisingly hard.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012 edited

a story where the characters have a moral code, and are trying to live up to it. They slip up occasionally, because they’re human, but they don’t just give it over and live however they want.

If I ever get published you will like what I write. :D You and I see eye to eye on a great many things.

EDIT:

This thread is really making me suffer because I can’t find a perfect way to sum up what I want to write. I want to pour out all my blood and my whole soul, let out all the glory and the sorrow and the suffering and the knowledge piled up in my heart. I want to write a novel as huge and powerful as the universe, as dark and mysterious as the shadows in the alleys, as ancient and beautiful as life itself. I want to reach out and capture the world in print. I want to write the hard-eyed and soft-hearted, the paradoxical, the brilliant and poignant and funny flowing like a river. I want to tackle all the hardest questions, give them the respect that they deserve, and acknowledge that the best answers are not easily won or easily explained. And here I am lost for words. It is all pouring out in shining colors and formless glory.

I love when someone makes me remember that, you know? The dream that I’m hunting down.

• CommentAuthorCrunchy

Inkblot, I think I like you.

Also if you ever accomplish that, I desperately want to read it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Cheers, mate! :D raises glass

I’ve been lucky enough to have cut my teeth on the classics, and now nothing less will satisfy.

• CommentAuthorCrunchy

I read that and I thought you meant it literally. Like, you bit a book and it actually cracked your teeth. And you were all OH COOL THAT'S AWESOME I GOTTA GO BITE ALL OF THE BOOKS NOW
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I have a longrunning idea involving magic entirely wielded through music, and operating only over the elements (earth, wind, fire, water).

I also have an old idea for an ultimate film script, one which blends drama, comedy, romance, action, zombie, spy, kung fu, buddy comedy, and horror. Yes, I have a rough outline. Mwahaha.

Third, I have a concept for rewritten fairy tales, keeping the original ideas/plot points, but adding details to make the heroines less…stupid. SERIOUSLY, SNOW WHITE? NEARLY MURDERED BY TWO RANDOM PEDDLARS, AND YOU LET IN A THIRD? REALLY? On that one I have written all of Snow White, half of Cinderella, and haven’t got Sleeping Beauty done yet. I need to get back to that. It isn’t original at all, but it’s fun.

And finally, my current work in progress, a novel of fiction/nonfiction which focuses on friendships/romance. It’s semi-autobiographical. I… have no idea where it is going, but it’s around 50,000 words right now.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

Like, you bit a book and it actually cracked your teeth. And you were all OH COOL THAT’S AWESOME I GOTTA GO BITE ALL OF THE BOOKS NOW

AHAHAHA, that is wonderful. That cracked me up.

To give a serious answer to this(summarizing a conversation I just had), I want to both read and write stories that are like football plays.

What does that mean? Well, when the average person watches a touchdown pass being thrown, they see the play in very simplified terms. The quarterback takes the snap, drops back, and throws downfield to the open receiver, who catches it in the endzone.

For most people, that’s all they really notice. If you’re looking closer, though, you see so much more going into that basic throw-and-catch. The weakside linebacker blitzes, and the left guard manages just enough of a chip block to give the running back time to set up a cut block. The strongside defensive end stunts with the nose tackle, and the right side of the offensive line shifts their blocking assignments in accordance. The receiver who caught the TD ran an inside crossing route with the opposite side slot receiver, and the playside cornerback bit on it, freeing up the deep route. The safeties were in a two-deep zone and rolled the coverage right based on the offensive formation and the QB’s eye movements, and the receiver’s route took him right through the crease in the zone coverage, leaving him open behind them.

That sort of shit happens on every single play, and if you weren’t looking for it, you probably wouldn’t even notice. It’s still very possible to enjoy the basics of the play if you don’t feel like delving any deeper, but there’s still so much more going on in the background even if you don’t catch it.

So yeah, I just want to read and write stuff that reveals more depth the deeper you let yourself get into it but is still fun for lazier/more casual readers.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012

^^ I know that there’s a fantastic example of this and it’s just at the tip of my tongue. Ugh, I can’t remember it.

It’s a great idea by the way. That’s really the kind of thing I enjoy either reading or watching.

Timothy Zahn.

There you go.

• CommentAuthorSen

I’m thinking of either a really good TV show or movie that I saw ages ago. You’d think the title of something so brilliant would stick.

frowny face

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Could it be…

The Wire?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Well played.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012 edited

Despite being my favorite show, The Wire is not a very good example of what I’m talking about, because it will kick your ass if you’re a lazy/casual viewer. It does get tremendously deeper the more attention you pay to it, but the baseline level of viewer engagement required to understand the basics is still really high compared to most other fiction.

I think China Mieville is a good example- at least Perdido St. Station. Quote:

Because I come at this with a political perspective, the world that I’m creating is embedded with many of the concerns that I have… I’m trying to say I’ve invented this world that I think is really cool and I have these really big stories to tell in it and one of the ways that I find to make that interesting is to think about it politically. If you want to do that too, that’s fantastic. But if not, isn’t this a cool monster?