Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011

Got some awesome gifts this festive season? Want to rub them in your friends’ envious faces? Then come to brag about them here!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

YEAH.

So much candy…

I’m getting glasses. =(

Though a friend gave me a bunch of ST:CCG2e cards. Those are always good. =D

Yeah that is a lot of fooooood.

My relatives did an interesting present game. A couple of them apparently op shopped for random things. Then one of my cousins had to select a present and person at random. Then that person opens the present. Then my cousin chooses the next person and present. Then this person gets the choice to steal the present from the last person or choose the current present without knowing what it is. And repeat.

It led to me getting an awesome Indian elephant ash tray statue thing. Guess I’ve gotta pick up smoking! And there was a fight for this shot glass chess set. My 14 year old cousin who doesn’t drink apparently wanted it a lot but my sister’s boyfriend got it because my sister was all “Steal it! Steal it!” The rest of the stuff wasn’t very interesting. A handbag, a boardgame, a glass vase and stuff.

So yeah I thought that was pretty interesting.

My sister got me a bitchin’ walking stick thing. What’s awesome is it’s coincidentally very similar to things in my fantasy story. It has a bird/dragon-like claw hand clutching a sphere. My main gift was a laptop which I didn’t really want because I don’t deserve nice things but I’m thankful and happy for it.

My theme of present giving to my parents and sister was gifts from childhood. I got my sister a Barbie with the added joke that the Barbie is taking care of a baby. It has a switch on its back to shake the baby or as she found out slam it into her head repeatedly before dropping it. My dad a model plane to build and paint because he used to collect them. And I didn’t really know what my mother used to play with but since she’s a doctor and likes boardgames I got her Operation since we’ve never had it.

This was the best Christmas since becoming an apathetic asshole who doesn’t like spending time with relatives.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

I’m getting glasses. =(

Don’t knock the glasses, man. Your awesomeness will go up by +7 just by owning them.

• CommentAuthorNo One

@happycrab: Oh yeah, my church did that game at the Christmas party. In the first place, I got high-quality chocolate, then watermelon, and finally a hand-painted glass photo frame and two pairs of chopsticks.

Yeah, I’m not sure whose idea it was to wrap up random fruits as Christmas presents, but what the hey. They were pretty popular too.

I got:

Stocking:

Beef Jerky
    Candy
    A really stupid Kermit the Frog ski hat. it’s so stupid it circles back into being awesome.
    A hedgehog eraser. It’s cute.
    Bath and Bodyworks stuff that smells pretty.

From my parents/siblings:
    A whole flock of hedgehog Japanese erasers in several different colours.
    Les Miserables Tenth Anniversary Concert on DVD
    A Bluetooth mouse for my laptop
    A laptop tray with a built in mousepad.
    A wristwatch
    A stereo on which I can play my mp3 player. it’s also a clock/alarm.
    Stephen Sondheim’s second book: “Look, I Made a Hat, Collected Lyrics (1981-2011 with Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Digressions, Anecdotes and Miscellany”

From other relatives, I got about 50 dollars worth of Barnes and Noble money, 20 to Target, and Ten to Wal Mart, so that’s cool. I’ll get more tomorrow, but I’m perfectly happy now.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I got some gifts, but my favorite things by far were the Korean/English dictionary, which has a really great format, and a book of essays called From Elvish to Klingon: Exploring Invented Languages edited by Michael Adams. It covers at least two dozen languages from literature, games, films, and real life, and what I’ve see of it so far is endlessly riveting. :D

So 2 people got this Les Miserables on DVD? What’s so great about it?

@No One (lol that always sounds like I’m just throwing this out there to nobody in particular), mmm chocolate and the photo frame sounds nice but my elephant is better :P

So 2 people got this Les Miserables on DVD? What’s so great about it?

Who else got it?

It’s like the most awesome thing ever.

It’s in takugifian’s photo. What is it?

It’s in takugifian’s photo. What is it?

Oh, images are block’d here. :(
    Is it the tenth anniversary or the twenty-fifth? The one Taco got, I mean.

It’s a concert version of the musical Les Miserables. The version I got has hands down the best cast ever.

Oh well that explains you not seeing it. It looks to be the 25th. I’ll go look up what the musical is about.

Oh well that explains you not seeing it. It looks to be the 25th.

The tenth is better. :p

It’s a fantastic show, and the book is even better. It’s about a man (Jean Valjean) who gets out of prison, where he spent 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread. A bishop takes him in when nobody else will, but in the middle of the night, Valjean makes off with the bishop’s silver. The next day, he’s caught and brought before the bishop, who covers for him, and tells him that he must turn his life around.

That’s just the back story, the rest of the show is about what he does to become a good man, while an obsessive policeman chases him down for breaking parole. There’s also barricades, sappy romantic subplots, awesome thug gangs, and an INCREDIBLE score. There is nothing I can say to do it justice because it’s one of my favourite things ever.

It’s also my favourite book ever, and it accounts for where I got the first part of my username. (I named myself party after Inspector Javert, the policeman)

My relatives did an interesting present game. A couple of them apparently op shopped for random things. Then one of my cousins had to select a present and person at random. Then that person opens the present. Then my cousin chooses the next person and present. Then this person gets the choice to steal the present from the last person or choose the current present without knowing what it is. And repeat.

Sounds like a variant of “dirty santa” which I’ve played with a lot of family & other parties – especially as there are so many of us, it’s the best present method.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I got a panda hat. Oyes. And my boyfriend got me these AMAZING dangly earrings that jingle when I shake my head :)

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011

^^Don’t dangly earrings normally jingle when you move your head? Do most earrings that hang off your ears jingle?

Yes, but they jingle particularly well :)

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011 edited

My husband gave me a mace. No, not the stuff you spray at people. Oh no. I got a real mace. A replica sixteenth century German mace. It is truly magnificent – well-balanced and sturdily constructed. I loves it, my precioussss.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Your marriage is a model we should all aspire to.

• CommentTimeDec 26th 2011 edited

My husband gave me a mace. No, not the stuff you spray at people. Oh no. I got a real mace. A replica sixteenth century German mace. It is truly magnificent – well-balanced and sturdily constructed. I loves it, my precioussss.

O.o

Do want. Do you know how to use it? I’m contemplating stealing my boyfriend’s new asp.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

Tickets to see Faust at the Metropolitan Opera in New York :D Excuse me while I sqeee~

Indeed.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

I’m thinking my husband and I should start teaching the pre-marital classes. Forget finances, communication, compromise. Pshaw. The real secret to a great marriage is a well-stocked armory. ;)

Do you know how to use it?

In theory. I’ve researched how to use a mace, but I’ve never had anybody teach me, so I’d be hosed against a thirteenth century knight. ;) But the great thing about maces is that while they require a certain amount of skill, they are definitely not finesse weapons; theoretically, if a person can use a baseball bat, they can do some serious damage with a mace.

I’m contemplating stealing my boyfriend’s new asp.

The asp is a fun weapon. I learned how to use that when I was enrolled at a law enforcement academy. Unfortunately, in my state, they are illegal to possess unless you’re law enforcement. sigh

Tickets to see Faust at the Metropolitan Opera in New York

How cool! I’m jealous; I’ve never gotten to go to the opera. Let us know how awesome the performance is.

I’ve seen the rehearsal for half an opera (it was a free school thing). It was cool, but I’d love to see a real performance. Unfortunately it’s expensive. :(

@Nate, what’s dirty santa?

lol I dont exactly really laugh a lot, especially at written things, but the whole “Your marriage is a model we should all aspire to.” and “The real secret to a great marriage is a well-stocked armory. ;)” thing was hilarious to me. Good job.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS (Thief of Time, The Truth, Going Postal, May Bird and the Ever After, and the Mirror’s Edge graphic novel!), GAME (Ruru Facestomp is currently stomping her way through Dark Souls), USB DRIVE (he’s a space hamster and is now holding my writing and scant amounts of art!), HELLO KITTY (a notebook and lip balm—a joke gift, of course), AND OTHER STUFF.

YAAAAYYY.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

An incredibly awesome pair of headphones which are delivering German-engineered sonic wonderfulness to my ears as I type this.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

An overnight bag, some pushpins with my initials on them, jewelry, three books, (including the volume of Tennyson’s poetry that I’d wanted), a DVD of Up, exercise clothes, a gift card, an umbrella, a keychain, Switchfoot’s new album, and an awful lot of candy.