Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

As I was sitting here struggling to write my next sentence, I thought maybe this could be a useful topic. I couldn’t find the equivalent, so sorry if it already exists.

Although I have a particular question, it would be good if it were used a little more generally for other people with problems or ideas on the actual craft of writing.

What I’m specifically struggling with in starting my sentence is beginning sentences with time based openers. “At last…” “Finally,” “Suddenly,” etc.

I feel like I’m using these beginnings far too often and I’m wondering if there is better alternatives. Not necessarily by abusing the thesaurus, but rather the actual sentence construction of always using those time based words. Or perhaps the nature of the beast is that given a long enough work, I’m going to get a lot of these sentence openers anyways. Is it possible to over-use these openers or am I over-thinking my writing?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

It’s possible to overuse anything if the ratio is ignored. Anybody who reads or writes first-person perspective knows how easily it is to overuse “I”, no matter that it’s in first-person.

There are always alternatives. Whether or not they are ‘better’ is debatable, but there are alternatives. The trick is to balance your sentence construction and length to create a naturally varied rhythm.

I like starting sentences/paragraphs with some kind of imperfect action: “Opening the door a crack, Taku peeked into the room to make sure it was empty”, for example. This sentence structure can be overused just as easily and just as disastrously as any pattern, especially if it’s a statistically significant proportion of my sentences.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

Hm, yeah I guess that is the case. Are there some good alternatives to indicating time has passed without using At last, Finally, Suddenly without it sounding too wordy/ awkward?

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011 edited

I’m not sure you’re going to get very far if you’re looking for alternatives to indicate a short time span with one or two words like at last or finally. There are few other choices.

What you could do is refer to the actions themselves and describe the ending of these actions. I’m not sure this will be all that helpful, but here’s what I usually do:

Instead of saying: At last, the wood was all chopped.
    use: By the time he was done chopping all the wood, the snow had begun to come down. This is a little more descriptive and introduces a second event within the same sentence.

Or, if you’re referring to a process that involves a long sequence of actions, refer to the last action in the sequence to let the reader know that that entire process is now over and time has passed.

For example: take the process of moving house. Terrible example I know, but just take this to stand in for any long process for now.

We all know that it ends with putting the last of your possessions in the truck and finally driving off. So you could say: Once the last of the boxes were packed away, we all piled into the car…
    So what you would do here is avoid using the “finally we were done with the packing” sentence (and possibly a very tedious, unnecessary description involving packing) by selecting the final action in the process to focus on and let the reader know that the entire event has now passed.

With long time spans, (I know you didn’t specifically ask for them, but I’m just going say what I usually
    do), I refer to the seasons and describe the scenery. It sounds unoriginal, but you don’t always have to refer to the birds and blossoms as is usually done. Be more specific. Describe the scents (well everything’s going to be in bloom) that someone may observe when waking up. Maybe it was the ending of a bitter winter where we left off, so now we know that the following chapter begins with spring.

I also just use words like “in the following weeks”, or “during the month that followed”. Unfortunately there’s really not that many options out there. What you could do to make it sound a little more interesting is to describe what happened during that time instead of just saying: Months passed. Say: In the months that passed, we did not experience all that many difficulties with the machinary.”

Hoped this helped just a little.

I like what Sen said. But as for using things like "suddenly" for immediate actions, I kind of got sick of using that word for the most part so for quick actions I should just have a short sentence describing what happened. The reader should be smart enough to realise it happened straight away.
    My first chapter skips days and weeks so I think I just basically said over the next week stuff happened. Yeah....
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011 edited

Sen, yeah thanks that's good. happycrab. Yeah I threw in Suddenly for the sake of a wider set of examples; however, I seem to recall reading elsewhere that you really want to go easy on that word as it can be quite irritating if everything happens Suddenly. I do like shortening my sentences a bit when action is a little more fast paced.

Edit
    Whoah, what the heck did I just do with the Sen reply?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

“Suddenly” is so often misused by writers who don’t know better that using “suddenly” to start any sentence is practically an instant indicator of incompetence. Every time I see a “suddenly X happened”, I cringe and die a little inside. I would strongly recommend avoiding “suddenly” at all costs.

Anyway, seconding Taku and Sen. They already said everything else I was going to say.

I just searched my story for all the times I used “suddenly” and I think I used them okay for the most part as they aren’t sentence starters and are indeed things that kind of needed to be explained as happening suddenly, and can’t think of a better wording for other parts where I think it’s kind of bad. Oh well…

i used suddenly a lot in my first two drafts but it has been something i have been actively eliminating in the third one though i left it in for the few instances where it actually seemed appropriate

ditto for finally

a recurring problem i tend to have is finding a way of constructing a sentence that i think communicates what i am going for just by its structure and then if i do find it not running it into the ground in situations where said construction isnt necessary

I just suck at writing sentences, period.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011

I dunno, SWQ. That one was pretty good.

Also, I really liked how Sen explained it. For sure, ditching words like ‘suddenly’ and ‘at last’ and such in favor of mini descriptors is great for variation. I think everything has its place, I guess you just need to figure out what fits best where.

looking over it i really have to be careful with doing single sentence paragraphs to add a sense of mechanical impact as too much will dilute its power

it sucks because i love the shit out of that trick

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011 edited

I just realized now that you also asked on how to avoid “Suddenly”. I didn’t say anything on that one, did I? That’s a very difficult one. When it comes to movements, I don’t always use: Suddenly, he was up on his feet. With movements, words are much easier to play around with. So I sometimes use: He was up on his feet in an instant. Or “He whipped around” or something like that. There’s plenty of words out there indicating quick movement; rapidly, swiftly, etc.

As for stuff appearing out of nowhere, well that’s an even tougher one. For me, at least. There’s not many other ways to describe something that appears, just like that. Sometimes you can use words like immediately or instantly, but it depends on what you’re trying to say, so this kind of substitution doesn’t always work. Hopefully, you don’t have that many surprises in your story. If you don’t, then using “suddenly” whenever need be, won’t be a bad idea. There’s not much else I can add to this. Sorry.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011

looking over it i really have to be careful with doing single sentence paragraphs to add a sense of mechanical impact as too much will dilute its power

it sucks because i love the shit out of that trick

+1.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I cannot remember for the life of my where I found it, but one of the writing advice books I own has a section on ‘suddenly’ that has a paragraph like:

Suddenly, I woke up. All of a sudden I decided to make coffee, when I suddenly went out to get the paper. Suddenly, I scrambled some eggs…

etc. Only the original was much funnier.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Yeah, I think that’s why you need to go easy on suddenly. No matter how spontaneous your character is that many suddenly get’s pretty irritating pretty fast.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited

Okay, I know this thread was meant for the more technical stuff of writing, but I wasn’t sure where else to put this, so I hope Falling doesn’t mind.

Now I feel incredibly stupid for asking this, but … what exactly does snow feel like? I tried searching up answers for this, but didn’t really get what I wanted. Apparently if you put ice in a blender and crush it, you’ll get something close to snow. So can it be fluffy?

Because you see, my characters are all from different regions and some have seen snow, and of course, some haven’t. I need to describe the experience for those who’ve never seen it. They make the mistake of assuming it’s as soft as powder. But now I’m thinking I was wrong for saying that because what if it really can be quite soft sometimes?

And how would it feel if you stood on it barefoot for a couple minutes? Your feet would burn, right? I thought it was obvious that it would, I mean it’s ice, but then if it fell very softly and wasn’t very compact or anything then it would not be really like standing on a flat sheet of ice, would it? Which would mean I was wrong and it doesn’t necessarily burn…

???

Gosh, this is a bit silly, but I don’t want to get any facts wrong.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012

I suppose you could describe snow as “fluffy.” I wouldn’t say it’s like ice, however. If you pick up snow in your bare hand it will melt pretty quickly, where as ice will take longer to melt. It’s hard to describe exactly. If there isn’t much water in the snow it will be powdery and light (like flour and sugar), but if it’s wet it will be heavy and packed densely (good for making snowballs). Hopefully that helped…

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited

Snowfall differs at ground level based on ground temp, air temp, and humidity. If the ground or the air at ground level is above freezing, snow will melt a bit and be wet, heavy, and sticky. This is “snowball snow”, the stuff it’s possible to make three-story buildings out of. If it’s really really frickin’ cold, snow will be light, powdery, and thin, like really large and grainy flour. “Wet” snow will tend to have larger flakes because the stuff clumps in formation, and it will fall faster and heavier. “Dry” snow tends to drift in the air, and blows around on the ground once it lands. In literature these two types of snowfall are often muddled together, and that’s close enough.

Snow can be soft as powder, yeah, and will feel “soft” on bare skin, but it’ll hurt. Really, it’s a yes and no. Yes, snow is soft, but yes, it will “burn” exposed skin, because it’s not a pressure issue (ie snow does not have the jagged edges of crushed ice) but a temperature difference issue (ie snow and ice are both much colder than your body). It’ll hurt your nerves because it’s so cold.

And shredded ice is not a suitable substitute for real snow, whatever the ski resorts around my area seem to think. :D

Hope that helps.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Snow isn’t really fluffy, I guess. I mean, to touch, ‘cause when it’s light like that it just melts so you can’t really feel it properly. However, it can have this soft, almost dusty kind of appearence when it’s dry, which you sort of get the sense of when you’re not directly touching it, I suppose. But in urban environments, dusty snow tends to melt really fast and is hopelessly unfun and useless. I don’t know how it’d be in a place where it could build up for a while. In really cold places further north ‘soft’ snow is more common, I think, and there’s way more of it. But at the end of the day, snow’s main quality is that it’s cold, and that always seems carry over between snow types. Though, I think if you stood around outside barefoot in a temperature cold enough to bring on snow, your feet would be in pretty bad shape whether it snowed or not. Snow is also wet. Wet and cold. Fluffy though…I don’t know, it’s hard to say. I guess it’s just not soft enough to be fluffy in the conventional sense of the word.

Maybe it’ll snow in Capetown this year and you can see for real :)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

In the upper reaches of North America we get soft, light snow which can build to a depth of as much as ten or eleven feet in the mountains. It’s dangerous to travel on because if you break the surface it’s nearly impossible to get back out.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

That sounds wicked in an almost Indiana Jones kind of way.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

If you stepped barefoot into snow, you would instantly jump back to anything even remotely not snow-covered. Snow is cold and miserable to bare skin. You certainly wouldn’t want to stand there for very long. You can run through or over snow with bare feet OK, but standing in one spot for any length of time would very quickly become miserable.

Snow also packs down quite quickly, either getting wet and slushy if it’s warmer/slushy snow or just compacting if it’s colder, harder snow. If you were to stand in it, it wouldn’t feel soft, it would probably feel quite hard, actually. It’s fluffy-ish in the sense that if it’s powdery snow, you can run your fingers through it and fling it into the air in a cloud, or if it’s packing snow you can still at least press your hand into it gently, but if you apply much pressure to it, it just compacts. This is why snowballs hurt. :)

• CommentAuthorSen

Thanks, all! Got what I needed. :)

Note, too, that you can’t make powder-grade snow into a snowball. I’ve tried and failed more than once.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

^ Good tip. Remember, scoop in the palm, push your other hand down on top of it, and twist your top hand until they’re at 90 degree angles. One snowball, loaded and ready to fire.

And of course, the true professionals scope out the battlefield beforehand to find the pockets of good stuff. Snow from the hoods and windshields of cars is nearly always weapons-grade.

bq. Snow from the hoods and windshields of cars is nearly always weapons-grade.

And digging out behind a drift with a snow shovel makes an ideal trench/fortress.

I personally love the way that snowplows pile up snow next to roads. Insta-fortress.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

Yeah, “sticky” snow is the best for snowballs, but in a pinch, slightly wet snow will still work.

bq. I personally love the way that snowplows pile up snow next to roads. Insta-fortress.

And with a few minutes with a snow shovel your defenses will be even better :D