Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011 edited

In the first person, that is.

How would you go about this, if you were going to attempt it? I’m not talking about the antihero. Those at least have some redeeming qualities. Like Catwoman. I’m talking about the truly evil. Would you limit yourself to writing it in a way that brings the villain across as someone who’s just a little more than a prankster? Use him as a tool to mock the heroes of the story and point out their flaws? Would you enjoy using him/her to reduce the good guys to nothing more than happy, skipping in the meadow, annoying little do-gooders? This would be really fun for a children’s book, I think.

Or would you take the challenge to go deep into the psychology of a killer or some other form of villain? Would you go into his backstory, explaining why he turned out the way he did? Or perhaps use him to explore your own twisted thoughts? Maybe you would make him completely crazy, not really justifying his actions and without even attempting to provide any reasons for the reader to sympathize with him.

Which path do you think would be the most interesting to take and how would you keep from making him the antihero?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011

The best way to do this, I think, is in a way that makes readers really uncomfortable. Part joking, part serious.

So in my opinion, and I would like to try this someday, either making it so that everything the MC does seems logical and sympathetic, then revealing in a brutal twist right at the end that he’s lying or misinformed himself – or making it clear from the beginning that he is evil, but making everything he does form a clear, even sympathetic kind of sense to really unseat people is the best (or the most interesting) way out of the options you laid out. It’s a great way to really explore the line between good and evil and how much we deceive ourselves about the basis of our actions.

Inkblot, that sounds very, very clever. Please do this. Or I may attempt the concept in short story form.

(Unless you would be offended, in which case I would desist, and respect your ownership of the idea)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Haha, I stole the idea from someone else. Go for it.

EDIT: Yeah, I’m pretty sure I got pieces of it from one of Limyaael’s rants, the ones where she says “this and this would be awesome but I don’t feel like writing it”, and I added in some other stuff along the way, so it’s pretty much public domain at this point.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

or making it clear from the beginning that he is evil, but making everything he does form a clear, even sympathetic kind of sense to really unseat people is the best (or the most interesting) way out of the options you laid out. It’s a great way to really explore the line between good and evil and how much we deceive ourselves about the basis of our actions.

Exactly that. Nobody in the real world is ever a villain in their own minds, so I would write them as sympathetic, possibly even heroic characters, and only reveal gradually that what they’re doing is evil and twisted. The most important point about any villain is that they usually are able to justify their actions as either necessary or good to themselves (no matter how twisted their logic may be).

There are occasionally people who come along who have no motivation beyond destruction, but those are rare and exceptional. Probably 99% of villains think they are the good guys.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

I haven't read it, but from Writing Excuses (Brandon Sanderson, Howard Tayler) One of the guys, Dan Wells wrote I Am Not A Serial Killer. It's first person pov, on the serial killer, which while it is the main character, must also be the villain (although not necessarily the antagonist). I imagine some knowledge could be gleaned from the book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThea

^I’ve read I am Not a Serial Killer, and 1) it’s really pretty good, 2) it’s pretty much what it says on the tin, only not the way you’d expect and much better than you’d think. But it would also still work as an example.

One way not to write a villain would be the way it was presented in Sepulcher, where the villain did go around cackling madly to himself over his own evilness, but I just finished Ship of Magic, which has a pov villain (though not in first person) who knows he’s not a good guy, goes around plotting like mad, but is just going after what he wants in any way he can. He knows he’s not a good guy, but doesn’t care: he just wants power. He also goes around going good deeds, but evilly.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

A good way to do a villain protagonist would probably be to pit them against someone even more evil.

Take the Johannes Cabal books, for example. In the first one, Cabal’s only interest is getting his soul back from Satan (because apparently you can’t get replicatable results from experiments without one). How is he going to get it back? By getting a hundered other souls to trade for his. On top of that, he’s a necromancer and a wanted criminal, who had his own brother turned into a vampire as part of his research.

if you are just looking for general story structure ideas rather than specific bookwriting techniques you should check out breaking bad

walter is clearly the protagonist and i would argue it is clear he is also the villain

he has a lot of sympathetic stakes with his family and his partner and his battle with cancer but those things lose their grip on him as he descends further into darkness

they still matter to him of course but what matters most to him is having power and being in control of others

which id argue being a villain is all about

• CommentAuthorSen

A good way to do a villain protagonist would probably be to pit them against someone even more evil.

Kind of like what was done with Gus and Walter. I liked it. If I’ve ever come across another example like this, it was not that interesting enough for me to remember it. Breaking Bad did it quite well, I think.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

I don't know what most people think about Timothy Zahn's stories, but I really like his writings. In particular, his most famous Star Wars trilogy also gives the PoV of the villain: Grand Admiral Thrawn the military genius. In many ways, he's not evil persay as he simply wishes to restore the Empire, but create a less extreme version of it. So maybe not a villain, but the antagonist as they are attempting to thwart the protagonists' goals.

It's not actually through Thrawn's PoV, but rather his Flag Captain. Which sets up a sort of antagonist version of Holmes and Sherlock where the Flag Captain is competent (the incompetent henchmen really bug me), but it's through his eyes you witness the sheer genius of his leader.

When the villain's PoV is hidden, I think a lot more fear can be created based on the unknown. What the main characters don't know keeps the reader guessing.

However, if done right, knowing the villain's side can build a lot of suspense. As Thrawn lays his strategies and discerns the protagonists true intentions, there can be suspense built. The reader knows that the villain has figured out the heroes plans and the hero is walking straight into a trap and that dynamic can be highly entertaining. It can also backfire if there is too many incompetent Wiley Coyote traps where you know Road Runner is going to get out anyways.

I guess that's not answering the OP's question. However, the antagonist needs not be villainous to oppose the protagonist. And I believe that back and forth battle of wits can be highly entertaining if done right.

I think Lolita would be an interesting book to read with this subject in mind. It’s narrated by Humbert Humbert, a pedophile who recounts his obsession with the titular Lolita, who may or may not be as sexually precocious as he claims. He also appears to be guilty about the whole affair (and implies himself to be a powerless victim, driven by fate) years later, as he’s dying, but you can’t really be sure…it’s a great book. I would highly recommend reading it, if only for its trippy perspective stuff (not to mention the gorgeous language). Humbert’s view of himself is highly interesting in its duality, but I think that ultimately, he was meant to be a villain. Nabokov himself despised the character.

CoughDextercough?

I recall writing a deranged 16-year-old semi-psycho who hunted even worse monsters.

Also, I second Falling and SWQ’s examples.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011

SWQ’s comment reminded me of the movie Hard Candy with Ellen Page. It was kind of the complete opposite of Lolita. Basically, the tables are turned on a sexual predator. 14 year old Hayley chats with this guy online then is finally lured to his home. Next thing he knows, he’s waking up all tied up having been drugged by her. Then she begins to torture him. Guy ends up killing himself. It was absolutely horrifying, but it’s hard to feel sorry for him once you find out what he’s been doing to little girls.

I know this is a film, not a book, but there were good ideas here. Especially since it’s difficult to decide whether or not she’s a true villain. I mean she does some terrible stuff, but you can’t really hate her. It was also fascinating watching her switch from sweet, normal girl to complete psychopath then back again. And when he thinks he’s got her in a precarious position and starts threatening her with the police, she reveals he doesn’t know as much about her as he thought he did and just about everything she ever told him could be a lie. Hayley might not even be her real name.

If one were to write about someone like this, it would be very easy for the reader to assume she’s the anti-hero. I think she’s far from it. Hardly any redeeming qualities here other than hating sexual predators. This kind of character takes things way out of hand. Right after the pedophile commits suicide, she calls up her friend and asks her if she wants to go to a movie. This is a villain. I wish I had the skill to create characters like this.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

Oh wow, that’s sounds good.
    I normally don’t have clearcut villains in my stories unless I’m writing comedy, but a friend of mine recommended that you make them kill a likable character; someone who is funny, the comic relief. It shocks the reader, because the comic relief is safe. JKR did it, and I don’t know about you, but it shocked me.

• CommentAuthorSen

Yes, it shocked me. It ripped my damn heart out. Then proceeded to freeze my brain. Then blow that to bits. I wonder if I’ll ever be able to do what JKR did. I hope I can. If it’s what makes for good writing, then I guess I just have to do it, no matter how much I may like one of my characters. Sigh.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011 edited

The sacrifices we writers make for a good story…
    Oh well, when you have made it big you can go back and writer anonymous fanfictions with that character, just to reminisce.

• CommentAuthorSen

Lol. I wonder if I’ll get that attached. Hope not. I’d like to be able to shock my readers. Funnily enough though, I actually do see myself rewriting my stuff (after I make it big, or if I do make it big) and reminiscing. I just put too much thought into them, that’s the problem. And that’s how they become real. Or is it really a problem? Hm.

But yeah, that would be what would make a great villain. I can’t very well have him not kill of someone very likeable. He doesn’t like anyone, so why should he care? I’m definitely adding it to the top of my list for a must-have for my villain.

Re: Hard Candy – like with Dexter, you’re not supposed to think “Awesome! I wish RL had people doing this!”
    Hayley is a total psycho. The fact that her victim is a pedo significantly blurs the right line and “lightens up” what she does, but still. It’s also implied that she regularly kills pedos for fun.

Re: Lolita – also, remember this reason one guy gave to Nabokov for why he didn’t think it’d be cool to publish the book: “There are no good people in it,”
    Dolly herself, who is technically the “victim”, is pretty damn evil herself, at times. You could describe the two-way manipulation games between her and Humbert as kind of like the gravity between Pluto and Charon.

JKR did it, and I don’t know about you, but it shocked me.

Zeroth Law:
    Ole Bill himself did it when he killed the shit out of Mercutio.
    “Grave man” indeed.

He doesn’t like anyone, so why should he care?

Careful there. I know what you mean – a villain should be evil (duh!). But sometimes a villain is more interesting because they seem to care, or maybe pretend to care, or something… all you know is that this person has a very twisted moral compass.

To use a HP-example (major spoolerses, beware!):

• CommentAuthorSen

you’re not supposed to think “Awesome! I wish RL had people doing this!”

Nah, man. I just want my character to be like that, that’s all. Not for people IRL to be like her. Just in my own made-up world where he/she will never be real. Yeah, she’s a total psycho, but people would enjoy reading about her. I would thoroughly enjoy reading about someone like that. And I agree with everything else you said. 100%.

I wasn’t implying that you think that. :)
    But there are folks out there who have expressed the wish that Dexter Morgan existed for real.

Yeah, she’s a total psycho, but people would enjoy reading about her. I would thoroughly enjoy reading about someone like that.

Same here. Especially from her/his POV – could be trippy.

And I agree with everything else you said. 100%.

Thanks. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Yes, there’s definitely something wrong if the villain is ‘cool’ enough for the readers to wish that s/he’s real.

• CommentAuthorSen

Yes, definitely questionable, but it gives the creator of that character much credit when viewers or readers react that way.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

But if the villain is meant to be evil, isn’t it kind of wrong to make the ‘evil’ person likeable?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I think that’s the difference between a good writer and a bad writer. In real life, mentally insane people aside, no one really think they’re “evil.” They’re all driven by one thing or another and from their point of view you could be the “bad guy.” Of course, there are certain things that society has grouped into “good” and “bad,” but the difference between a standard fantasy villain who does things because he’s sooooo evil and the villain of a well written book is that one of them honestly believes he’s doing the right thing and the other just does it because he can.

• CommentAuthorSen

@BlueMask- NO

:D

In some cases, at least. I mean, I just think it would be interesting to create such a complex character. Of course, it entirely depends on the story you’re telling and which characters you’re really interested in placing the focus on. So yeah, if you want your main and good characters to shine out as the heroes, then don’t make the villain likeable. You want your reader to be rooting for the good guys.

But if you’re writing in the first person, and from the villain’s POV, then delving deep into his mind, his past, his experiences and his subsequent actions because of these experiences, could be a good challenge to take on. And people might not be interested in reading the thoughts of someone who does evil things just for the heck of it. Throwing in a bit of actual personality wouldn’t hurt. Sometimes this could result in making him/her likeable. I don’t think that’s an entirely bad thing.

I…think this is basically what Puppet just said, but I didn’t see his comment until after posting this. Ah well.

To be honest, I try to stay away from writing ‘villains’ and stick with ‘antagonists’. It keeps things more realistic and often, more interesting. People can’t be boxed into overarching ‘good’ or ‘bad’ categories, except for those extreme exceptions. However, I don’t really want to write those extreme exceptions unless I can be sure that it’ll turn out well. Right now, I’m not sure of that at all, so yeah…

• CommentAuthorDanielle

For all of you MLP: FIM fans, here’s an excellent example of a sympathetic antagonist. Shame it’s fan-made. It should be part of the series.

Discordantly

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

I think I’m with SWQ. Nobody’s evil, except maybe the devil. We’re all equally capable of good and bad, just some people choose to do bad things, often out of the misguided belief that they’re doing right (or out of understandable motivations such as the desire for power, the desire for money, etc.). So antagonists (people who work against the protagonist) tend to be more interesting to me than straight-up villains.

One example I personally find quite interesting (because I’m a fan of the franchise!) is Saren from Mass Effect. Without going into too terribly much detail, basically, Saren is willing to betray the entire universe to the ancient species that wants to wipe us all out. At first, this seems ridiculous. Why would you help them if they only want to kill us? But as the game progresses (and as the second game reveals a bit more backstory), you realize that Saren… kind of is right, in a twisted sort of way. He thinks that if we make ourselves useful to the Reapers, they’ll keep us around. Sure, we’ll be slaves, but we’ll be alive. And as you realize in the second game, he may well be right, at least a little bit. So he becomes a great deal more sympathetic (or at least understandable) when you get all of that. And that makes him much more interesting than a character who’s evil just because he feels like it. Makes it more realistic, anyway.

like with Dexter

dexter hasnt been portrayed as a real villain in a very long time but this may have more to do with incompetent writing than pure intention

Kind of like what was done with Gus and Walter. I liked it. If I’ve ever come across another example like this, it was not that interesting enough for me to remember it. Breaking Bad did it quite well, I think.

the really neat thing here is there were times i actually rooted for gus over walter because walter causes so much more collateral damage with his recklessness and gus was so hardcore

villain versus villain is pretty boss when they are both good characters

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011 edited

@sansafro187-Yeah, I was also rooting for Gus. Ever since that “I use my boxcutter to slice your throat” episode.

I just noticed something about Thea’s comment. Why didn’t I see it before?

He also goes around doing good deeds, but evilly.

o_O

What does that even mean?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011

Saving the world by slaughtering a thousand innocents?

I’d also like to add that multiple PoVs make a huge difference. To shamelessly use my own stuff as an example, one narrator is part of La Resistance, and naturally views the organization more positively than another character, who is part of the established government. Who’s the villain depends pretty much on who’s telling the story- which can be very interesting if used well.

Yes, there’s definitely something wrong if the villain is ‘cool’ enough for the readers to wish that s/he’s real.

Something wrong with the people who think that, I’d say.

But if the villain is meant to be evil, isn’t it kind of wrong to make the ‘evil’ person likeable?

No. A lot of fictional villains stole the show in their respective story.
    Sen and Puppet said it best – I can’t really add anything there, except:
    Remember that Villains Act, Heroes React.
    ...although in certain cases, that in itself is up for debate.

In real life, mentally insane people aside, no one really think they’re “evil.” They’re all driven by one thing or another and from their point of view you could be the “bad guy.”

I could break godwin’s law right now… but I won’t.
    :-)

often out of the misguided belief that they’re doing right (or out of understandable motivations such as the desire for power, the desire for money, etc.)

Yeah, but then you get real thorny issues like the motivation behind pedophiles and such.
    Some shrinks are quick to say “Yeah, but it happened to him when he was little!”, but I call bullshit.
    See, if that were the case, where did the world’s very first pedo come from?

He thinks that if we make ourselves useful to the Reapers, they’ll keep us around. Sure, we’ll be slaves, but we’ll be alive.

From what I know of the Reapers, that makes a lot of sense. Is this Saren guy in the second game?
    I only got halfway cause I suck.

dexter hasnt been portrayed as a real villain in a very long time but this may have more to do with incompetent writing than pure intention

I was referring to season 1. But yeah, I know you Americans are at the 6th or whatever, where things apparently went wahooni-shaped.

The needs of the million outweigh the needs of the thousand.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011

He’s a pirate freeing slaves because then they’ll voluntarily be his army to help him take over the world. And he’s surrounded by people who are unbearably loyal to him: his sentient charm fashioned in his image hates him and doesn’t think he deserves what he has.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited

@SWQ – I’ve always wanted to play around with that sort of idea, have the perspective of the heroic brave rebels who fight back against the eeevil dystopian government and then have the perspective of the wonderful righteous government that’s trying to keep its citizens safe from the terrorists running around on their land. But I think the videogame Brink already stole my idea. :P Ah well, I could never work out the details about how to put it into practice anyway, if I wanted both to turn out to be evil (revealed through the perspective of a third viewpoint) or just leave it ambiguous. But I still think it’s an interesting idea.

@Klutor re: Mass Effect – this isn’t much of a spoiler, but just in case:

Bit of a bigger spoiler that explains more what I was talking about above:

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011

Brink, IMHO, did a superb job of perfectly balancing untrustworthy narrators. You can construct two completely different accounts of the same events, and come away believing either side is perfectly justified.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011 edited

I’d also like to add that multiple PoVs make a huge difference.

Agreed. Sometimes it could also be used to keep the reader guessing. Which organization is really bad? Which followers are actually the villains?

Reminds me of what Inkblot said.

So in my opinion, and I would like to try this someday, either making it so that everything the MC does seems logical and sympathetic, then revealing in a brutal twist right at the end that he’s lying or misinformed himself

A big reveal like that would be fantastic. Especially when using two organizations like in SWQ’s example. Revealing at the very end who was truly right in their actions would be really unseating. If done right that is, meaning you were successful in completely fooling the reader into placing their good faith in the wrong characters.