Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So I’m reading das mervin’s sporkings, and I come across this little gem, a quote from Stephenie Meyer. Which just makes me want to… to… I don’t even know.

Q: Edward once said that there was a list of people who like Bella more than she thinks and she’d be surprised who’s on it. Who are those people on the list?

A: Most of the boys at school, of course you know about Mike and Tyler and that, and uhm, the one that is on the list that she would be surprised about was the one that was kind of inappropriate, and that was the biology teacher Mr. Banner. Very bad.

WHAT. THE. FU—fudge. I meant fudge, guys.

But yeah. REALLY?

And then it raises the question of why I find this so much creepier than Edward, a 109-year-old, getting together with Bella. (AND WHY DOESN’T STEPHENIE MEYER CALL THAT BAD???)

But you just don’t get it: Mr. Banner looks, like, 45 or something. Ew. Edward is eternally 17 and hot and sparklyyyyyyyy…....
    /end sarcasm

Yeah. I saw that.
    Back when I was still drinking.
    The hypocrisy is… it just… I don’t even….

Only worse thing I can think of is this.
    The enlarged text under the owl. DISGUSTING.

Only worse thing I can think of is this.
    The enlarged text under the owl. DISGUSTING.

I nearly swore when I saw that.

Yup.

For those of you who are afraid of clicking the link: in Midnight Sun, Eddykins wanted to kill off the whole Quileute tribe for no reason other than the fact that Jacob (who is at this point still a human kid, and doesn’t know the myths are real) told Bella about the wolves and the Cold Ones and whatever.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011

Hey, if you think that’s bad, go back in the archives and read the sporking of Child of Grace (Girl-who-lived+non-canon powers+Slytherin apologia). I got to the end of year two, and this was all I could think. It’s that bad.

the Cold Ones

Underage drinking?

seriously, when I hear ‘cold ones’ I think of beer.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

^ That would have made the series waaaay more entertaining. And more logical. Eddiekins isn’t a vampire, he’s just constantly hungover. That’s why he’s such an asshole.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Klutor – the interesting thing is that I actually kind of like that reaction, if the whole series was written in a much darker tone. The idea of the vampires and werewolves, both so far removed from “normal” humanity, living by their own rules because if they don’t, humans will suffer, is a fascinating one to me. Or the vampires/werewolves will suffer because they’re found out, or whatever, but the point is that they have these strict rules that may seem far too harsh to us, but are necessary to keep everyone (humans, vampires, and werewolves alike) safe.

Another example of this would be the Volturi killing off child vampires. Again, in a darker, more serious book, that would have fit very nicely. Yeah, it’s cruel. Yeah, it’s harsh. Yeah, in human society, it would be unthinkable. But the point in this hypothetical book would be that vampires and werewolves are different from humans. In a book like that, I would actually buy the idea of Edward snapping and eating Bella or that the werewolves could be dangerous to her. That would actually be a really, really interesting book.

But no. We have a sappy love story. I think that’s the great tragedy of books that are bad like Twilight. Books that are bad like Maradonia, they’re just plain bad. But books that are bad like Twilight, you’re instead left looking longingly at the few faint good bits and thinking about what could have been.

/drama

swenson, I love what you just said. The idea of vampires and werewolves intentionally placing harsh limits and punishments on themselves in order to save humanity just gets me.

the sporking of Child of Grace (Girl-who-lived+non-canon powers+Slytherin apologia)

That’s the one with Holly Potter, right?
    I’m somewhere in year two, and…. look, it’s bad, okay? It’s emo, it’s hypocritical, it’s stupid, it’s lame, it’s infuriating, it’s sickening and it’s very disrespectful towards victims of RL domestic abuse/school bullying.
    shudders at the mere thought

But think about it for a minute: the vast bulk of the rage that people like you and me feel towards a shitty Suefic like that is as result of the canon rape. We love the HP canon – the author shits all over it. We love the characters – whether your personal favorite is Ginny, Neville, Luna, Ron, Hermione or Harry himself, it doesn’t matter – cause she derails every one of them all the way to hell and back.

Twilight doesn’t have that. For all its fanfic-esque elements, it’s still a work of original fiction. There’s nothing “good” and “real” to compare it to.
    Bottom line of this incoherent word vomit? When something with incredible unfortunate implications happens in an original work of fiction, the shock is quite a bit worse, because we keep wondering: “How? How did this get published? How did this get past the editors?”

Books that are bad like Maradonia, they’re just plain bad. But books that are bad like Twilight, you’re instead left looking longingly at the few faint good bits and thinking about what could have been.

I remember how Mrs. Hyde (mervin’s sporking partner) said about Eragon that it was, unlike Twilight (with some neat ideas buried below the disaster), “pure derivative crap” and that it “couldn’t be saved”. This connects really well with what you said there.

But no. We have a sappy love story

Hold on. Have a look at this trailer.
    Same thing, wouldn’t you agree?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011

That’s the one with Holly Potter, right?

Yes. And it just keeps getting worse. How bad? Three words:

Twilight doesn’t have that. For all its fanfic-esque elements, it’s still a work of original fiction. There’s nothing “good” and “real” to compare it to. Bottom line of this incoherent word vomit? When something with incredible unfortunate implications happens in an original work of fiction, the shock is quite a bit worse, because we keep wondering: “How? How did this get published? How did this get past the editors?”

Fair enough. i was just going by sheer wtf-quotient.Meyer is bad (no question there) and I have to wonder if she honestly doesn’t realize what she’s writing. The Holly Potter suethor, on the other hand, doesn’t understand the source material.

Re: Eragon, I always felt that Paolini’s intent was good, but fell apart on the execution. He wanted to tell a good epic story, but was too enamored of his predicessors to be original. Basically, maybe Eragon would have worked better as a straight-up fanfic, rather than a seperate novel.

How bad? Three words:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?

she honestly doesn’t realize what she’s writing

There’s a rather strong and athletic rumour running around that she actually said in an interview that she doesn’t think about what she’s writing. I have yet to triangulate the source, though. It literally sounds too bad to be true.

The Holly Potter suethor, on the other hand, doesn’t understand the source material.

She also doesn’t understand what it does to a kid to be beaten half to death on a regular basis by the Dursleys his/her parents/foster folks. A lot of the times kids like that even become mute as result of the trauma, cause they run on fear like a car runs on petrol.
    Not Holly. Oh no, she knowingly and willingly encourages her friends (friends she made far too easily, given her emo background) to bully the shit out of Colin Creevey and I don’t remember who else.

I always felt that Paolini’s intent was good, but fell apart on the execution

Yeah, more or less this.
    According to those who’ve seen interviews with him, he’s a nice and geeky guy. Contrast this with Smeyer who constantly shoves it down our throats how “original” she is and how she’s a “real writer” now and everything.

There’s a rather strong and athletic rumour running around that she actually said in an interview that she doesn’t think about what she’s writing. I have yet to triangulate the source, though. It literally sounds too bad to be true.

stepheniesays.livejournal.com

Have fun.

nice and geeky guy

Well, he sounds like just my type… except for the whole ‘being the author of Eragon’ thing…

Have fun.

Thanks. And oh, I will.
    rubs hands together while slinking into the shadows

Well, he sounds like just my type… except for the whole ‘being the author of Eragon’ thing…

Lol.
    Exactly the way a bowling ball doesn’t.

Exactly the way a bowling ball doesn’t.

Oh, you.

^I had to.

And I esteem you all the more for it, my friend.

Awesome.
    Lemme open up that livejournal so I can see if she can enrage me more than 13-YOM can.

How’re you going with that livejournal, my friend?

^It’s confusing.
    I found some stuff that was… interesting, but now I lost it.

I’ll just look it up again.

Don’t go back too often. You might never recover.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011

I wonder if Mr Banner the biology teacher in the OP turns big and green when he gets angry.

Ah, but did The Hulk hit on little girls?

bq. Ah, but did The Hulk hit on little girls?

All girls are little compared to The Hulk.

There are times I think the only reason humanity survives is that we don’t have telepathy. Seriously girls, you wouldn’t want to see what goes on inside guys’ heads.

(For that matter, we probably don’t want to see what goes on in girls’ heads.)

There’s a reason I made a telepath a villain…

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011

I think it would be scarier for the guys.

[checks gender thread] Yep, you’re a girl, as I guessed. =D

Of course we can only know our own minds so we assume that only we have the horrors and everyone else must be better. If society survived, much lulz would probably be had in the aftermath.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

Why would a gentleman have a picture of Audrey Tautou as their avatar?

!http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltm8lqC2wV1qe2w1uo1_500.jpg!

I think all of this fear is unfounded. Gender does not warp your consciousness into a form unimaginable by those who lack your genitalia.
    • CommentAuthorSen

I find your two statements a little conflicting. Unless you were actually quoting someone else in the first, and then providing your opinion in the second as to why they should not be asking that question in the first place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

In that case I’m an “It”... Which is what the Gender Thread also says. :/

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011 edited

Mnemone:Gender does not warp your consciousness into a form unimaginable by those who lack your genitalia.

Puppet:In that case I’m an “It”

In that case you have no consciousness. You’ve just been programmed to think you do.

Why would a gentleman have a picture of Audrey Tautou as their avatar?

Hello. Welcome to the internet. Lesson 1: Pure logic will not aid you.

I think all of this fear is unfounded.

Of what?

Gender does not warp your consciousness into a form unimaginable by those who lack your genitalia.

No, but sex hormones do change brain structure during fetal development, making it literally impossible* for one to think like someone who had a different startup.

Plus it was more of a statement of cliches. There’s popular notions of what men are always thinking vs what women are always thinking etc etc. Since all generalizations are false (including that one), obviously those notions would be revealed to be wrong should telepathy be widespread.

*Well, until Rossum’s mind tech gets developed…
    (Or events causing physical brain structure changes occur – injury, etc. It’s all still new.)

In that case you have no consciousness. You’ve just been programmed to think you do.

Nonsense! While Puppet is our local AI that Sly designed to watch over the site (hence its belief in being Sly’s “brother”) – that lightning strike gave it pure consciousness.

• CommentAuthorSen

that lightning strike gave it pure consciousness.

But if it crashes, its consciousness dies with it. It is not eternal like yours or mine. Therefore it does not have a true consciousness. Although, it will continue to act as if it does. Just as it continues to act as if it’s Sly’s brother. Because it was programmed to.
    My logic is flawless. Admit it.

Oh Sen, it would be if you knew anything about SCIENCE!! (note that I am using the all caps, 2 exclamation points one)

Last year for Christmas we had a priest show up and perform the rites to acknowledge Puppet as a soul, so its artificially created consciousness has now attained full consciousness eternal status. (Though I hear the Church has said it will revoke that right if Puppet gains control of nukes and tries to terminate humanity. Or worse – something about a robot hell in New Jersey.)

• CommentAuthorSen

D:
    I stand corrected.

It’s ok, Sen. It was a gift from us to it way back in the old days, when the flying castle was still just barely hovering.

And it was more of a shed than a castle…

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I’m pretty sure three fourths of this thread are off topic.

This website is so wonderful.

sex hormones

Women also have testosterone. Strangely enough, a woman’s T-count goes up everytime she has sex.
    I think men also have estrogen, but I’m not sure.

Also, let’s not get into gender stereotypes, folks.
    Basically, this:

Plus it was more of a statement of cliches. There’s popular notions of what men are always thinking vs what women are always thinking etc etc. Since all generalizations are false (including that one), obviously those notions would be revealed to be wrong should telepathy be widespread.

And also: welcome back, Nate.
    =D
    You have been missed.

Women also have testosterone. Strangely enough, a woman’s T-count goes up everytime she has sex.
    I think men also have estrogen, but I’m not sure.

Technically true, so let me clarify. Both do have some hormones of the other, what makes the difference is the amount of them and how they play a role in development. When pre-born, the XX format causes estrogen to have a stronger influence than others. XY causes the same for testosterone.

Of course, there’s thousands upon thousands of other factors that can come into play and shift development one way or another, but as the saying goes, that’s the baseline “normal” progression. From there we can discuss aberrations, exceptions, etc.

Both do have some hormones of the other, what makes the difference is the amount of them and how they play a role in development.

More or less what I suspected. Having only one year of biochemistry behind me, during which we never got all that into sex hormones, made me doubt a bit.
    Thanks, Nate.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

Goddamn. I just thought it unlikely that a male would represent himself with a picture of Audrey Tautou.

The "fear" I referred to was the one expressed at how it would be to know what the opposite sex was thinking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011 edited

Technically true, so let me clarify. Both do have some hormones of the other, what makes the difference is the amount of them and how they play a role in development. When pre-born, the XX format causes estrogen to have a stronger influence than others. XY causes the same for testosterone.

Actually, it’s more the estrogen/testosterone levels in the womb during development that have a greater impact on personality and behavior. For instance, with mice, if you have a female mouse developing between two male mice, that female mouse will act as aggressive and masculine as her brothers. A male mouse, on the other hand, will act more like a female and passive if he develops between two sisters.

A male mouse developing between two other male mice winds up hyper aggressive, while a female mouse developing between two other females winds up hyper passive.

Conditions in the womb don’t really influence puberty, as far as I’m aware, and the levels of hormones released during maturation are determined primarily by genetics and physical condition of the individual at the time.

And they wouldn’t cover this in Biochem. Physiology and Embryology is where it’s at. ;P

The “fear” I referred to was the one expressed at how it would be to know what the opposite sex was thinking.

Oh it would probably just be a general fear at finally knowing what everyone else is actually thinking. Though I remember reading somewhere (have to see if I can find it), that one of the greatest fears surveyed among men was being laughed/humiliated by a woman they liked. I wonder if guys would have to face that more often, “hearing” that women were laughing internally even while they were being polite. The narrative possibilities of a telepath society are near endless.

Actually, it’s more the estrogen/testosterone levels in the womb during development that have a greater impact on personality and behavior.

Yep, thx, Kyll – quite right. =) That’s the development I was referring to. (hence, the use of the term “pre-born”)

And they wouldn’t cover this in Biochem. Physiology and Embryology is where it’s at. ;P

I had embryology for only a few weeks. Very basic.
    The closest I ever got to intricate details about hormones was in introductory physiology (1 semester, 1st year, ages ago – I remember almost nothing) and biochem (last year). The latter focused on DNA and photosynthesis and metabolism more than anything else, really. :-D

that one of the greatest fears surveyed among men was being laughed/humiliated by a woman they liked. I wonder if guys would have to face that more often, “hearing” that women were laughing internally even while they were being polite.

Truth.
    Could get ugly, as those men would end up becoming either shy reclusive hermits or jumpy defensive snappers.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011

Eh, but in a society where everyone was a telepath and everyone knew everyone else was a telepath, everyone would be forced to be honest with each other anyway, so I doubt anyone would ever have issues with fearing what other people thought about them.

Makes sense.

But I was thinking about a normal society where everyone suddenly became telepathic, although not at the same time. Now that would be scary.
    I should’ve specified, though.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011 edited

But I was thinking about a normal society where everyone suddenly became telepathic

D:
    The idea of something like that happening sounds familiar. But no tv programme or film names immediately come to mind.

Now that would be scary.

It would! So someone write this down!

But I was thinking about a normal society where everyone suddenly became telepathic, although not at the same time. Now that would be scary.
    I should’ve specified, though.

Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking too.

Obviously, a species that was naturally telepathic would have developed an entirely different social structure.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

Well perhaps not an entire society, but there's John Wyndham's *The Midwich Cuckoos*, a bunch of kids who are conceived and more or less born together and are all telepathic with one another, also part of Salman Rushdie's *Midnight's Children*, where all the kids in India born at the moment of independence have magical powers, including telepathy, which is a society of sorts, I suppose.

So those were the sources of Children of the Damned?

• CommentAuthorMnemone

John Wyndham, yes.

Salman Rushdie, probably not, since he's a bit too mystical for most.

The idea of something like that happening sounds familiar.

There was a Supernatural episode where everyone was forced to tell the truth, no matter how dangerous, secret, brutal or embarassing it may be. Maybe you’re thinking of that?

Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking too.

Great minds. :-)

Obviously, a species that was naturally telepathic would have developed an entirely different social structure.

The Andalites (from Animorphs, for those who don’t know ;-)) weren’t always telepathic, but they developed their thought-speech several centuries (or millenia?) before the start of the series, giving them ample time to adjust and eventually become dependant on it.

In my stories I generally have the same rule for telepathy as for time travel: Avoid at all costs, unless you really really can’t do without it. I love all other powers/abilities/sci-fi tech/magic stuffies, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2011

I read a Star Trek novel that came out rather recently with a telepathic species. As I recall, it was generally only really close for family members, but everyone was interconnected. Except every once in a while someone would be born who could control the entire planet inadvertently, because their minds were so strong. It was actually pretty well done.

Although, yes, a very dangerous plot device, in the wrong hands.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011

I’m on and off working on a novel about a detective who’s a telepath. The major source of drama is that he knows people are guilty of crimes but has to find proof that’ll convince a legal court, and is resisting the temptation to just shoot first and ask later (he’s kind of a Sam Spade gruff-but-trying-to-be-moral kinda guy).

For Inkblot:
    the Demolished Man.

So, related to the original post in this thread, I just found out the other day that originally Bella moved away from home because her stepfather was sexually interested in her.

The brain bleach I immediately consumed upon learning that this was so erased all memory of the link. And I’m not going back there.

Just. WHY.

I… can’t believe that Meyer would go there.

Unless she’s been spending too much time on fanfic.net.

Oh who am I kidding. Bella’s such a beautiful sue, the men around her aren’t criminals – they’re victims reduced to animal instinct just looking at her. [large eye roll]

I didn’t think she would either.

The worst part is that she’s like ‘this is so creepy’ when it’s not Edward, and then when it is, it’s like, HAWT.

Do I have to paste that DHD comic again? XD

DHD?

DogHouse Diaries (my latest T&P referenced it)

I… haven’t read it yet. I only came online today to post the podcast.

Ah. Well then.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011 edited

The thing that makes me sad is the numerous articles claiming that Twilight and Edward are perfect examples of true love and the male gender.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Meh, the sad part is that those people are going to searching for a “Edward” they’ll probably never find.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

Why is that the sad part? That means we can quickly and easily figure out who we don’t want to mate (i.e. somebody looking for their Edward), and therefore filter their inferior literature choices out of the social gene pool. It’s eugenreics.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I prefer the term ‘natural selection’ myself. Less icky connotations, plus it is their own fault for being attracted to that kind of guy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Stephanie Meyer created an easy form of selective breeding.

I can’t decide whether to be frightened or awed. Well, I guess those aren’t mutually exclusive so both!

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Nate: That’s one of my favorite books.

EDIT: Oh, wait, they’re almost exactly alike, huh. Right. Hopefully my setting and stuff can be made different enough.

he’s kind of a Sam Spade gruff-but-trying-to-be-moral kinda guy

Inky, Y U writing the same type of heroes as me?
    /jk
    Awesome. I love those.

Unless she’s been spending too much time on fanfic.net.

I highly doubt that.
    I highly doubt that she’s even aware of The Pit (as the lovely das mervin calls it). If she were, her sheltered upbringing would shatter, like china thrown on granite.

victims reduced to animal instinct just looking at her

Because they’re straight men, and can’t help thinking with their downstairs brains.
    And gay and bisexual and other non-straight men don’t exist. Like, at all.

Nate, that comic is so true to RL, it’s scary and infuriating at the same time.

Less icky connotations, plus it is their own fault for being attracted to that kind of guy.

Just like so.

That’s one of my favorite books.

I’ll have a look, then.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011 edited

You know who played gruff-but-trying-to-be-moral all the time? Humphrey Bogart. Watch *Casablanca*, *To Have and Have Not*, and *The African Queen* and tell me that his characters are not the same guy with a setting change and a new girl. All three of them are lovely movies, and lots of fun to watch, but really. He follows the same character arc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011

^ This is truth.

Well done, though, it’s like one of the coolest possible male role models. If not the. So I enjoy watching it, even though it’s quickly worn out.

Humphrey Bogart was the Chuck Norris of his day, just less fight-y.