Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

As of writing this, it is 7:30 am, September 11th, my time. Today marks a couple of anniversaries.

The first is one the world knows, and in a strange way, it’s a milestone. It’s been ten years since the 9/11 bombings. Ten years since horror and destruction, since fearmongering began all over the world. Even if you weren’t American, it was huge. It’s an anniversary of war.

The second anniversary is a small milestone: today marks three years of ImpishIdea. It’s not huge for many people—most of the world doesn’t even know about it. We’re a fairly niche community. But to us, it’s a big thing. We’ve shared hopes and dreams on here. We’ve shared when life sucks and when it’s great. We’ve discussed ideas and gotten into arguments and shipping wars and along the way, it’s to be hoped that we’ve gotten better at writing. This is an anniversary of community, of what happens when a few like-minded people get together, and a couple of those people work their butts off to create a place for them. And we’ve only grown and grown since then.

So thanks for the memories, guys. Bad things happen, terrible things happen, but no matter the cliche, friendship is powerful too.

...And I know that was incredibly sappy, but I didn’t feel right not saying something. We’re writers. We talk for a living. (Hopefully, someday…) Say something here, too.

Aw, Steph, this was such a sweet idea. :) I shall contribute as well.

I don’t really want to say much about 9/11, but I do hope that everybody who was the least bit affected was able to recover both mentally and physically.

About II, well… I remember being so excited when I joined! I posted my intro thread as soon as I joined, and since then I’ve been trying to contribute to this site in any and every way I can. II has given me a place to complain without being judged, somewhere to celebrate something, and obviously it has helped me develop as a writer. Thanks to all of you who make it so amazing. :D Happy third birthday, II.

Happy Birthday, Impish Idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011

The title made me think funeral. Sappiness of the post was much appreciated.

Happy Birthday, II. Here’s hoping for many more.

Happy 3rd Anniversary, II!

As for Sept. 11… I feel like I can’t say anything adequate. My best wishes towards the survivors, and my deepest respect for those who died so senselessly.

^Can’t say it better than SWQ.

Also – Happy 3rd Birthday, II!

Like everyone else here, I have no idea what to say about 9/11. I’m singing in a choir concert later this evening to mark the anniversary; it was a volunteer thing, and it’s going to be hard to do, but I felt like I had to do it. My thoughts and prayers are with the people who have lost a loved one to senseless violence. I hope that this brings us all closer together rather than driving us all apart.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY II! Not to be sappy or anything…I don’t know what I would do without you guys. My first semester freshman year was HARD; making friends only to realize they weren’t really friends, getting my heart a bit broken, trying to recover from all of that crap…I couldn’t have done it without the wonderful people here. You help me when I’m down, you make me laugh whether I want to or not, and yes, you have all helped me become a better writer.

Thank you.

Yeah, I’ll say it again: I love you guys :) Don’t know why you put up with me, but we all seem to be happy about it :)

Don’t know why you put up with me, but we all seem to be happy about it

Because we love you, that’s why!

I know I use II sometimes as a receptacle for the problems that I want a response to but don’t want to tell IRL people…so thanks for putting up with my crap, everyone.

I know I use II sometimes as a receptacle for the problems that I want a response to but don’t want to tell IRL people…so thanks for putting up with my crap, everyone.

Yeah, I do that too, so this.

Happy birthday, II! And I hope that all who lost loved ones or were hurt themselves ten years ago (and in the war since then) can heal and recover.

Paying my respects to the victims here.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011

Steph, I hate you for posting this first before I could get time to do it on the main site.

LOSER.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Really, this is II’s anniversary? Happy birthday, II. May there be many more to come.

About the other anniversary, however… yeah. It’s one of those things, I really don’t know what to say or how to respond. To be perfectly honest, I’ve been kind of avoiding things about it, not because I don’t think it’s important or because I’m not sad about it, but because, well, I know if I dwell on it too much, I’ll get very upset and sad. Maybe that’s not the best reaction to things—you can’t just pretend bad things don’t happen—but I guess you could always argue I’m just trying to look forward rather than back. :)

Or I’m just a wimp who knows she can get really sappy. :P

Yeah, i gotta admit that other than respects, I don’t really know what to say. All I know is that it’s weird how there are an entire generation of people who weren’t able to walk or ever alive before 9/11, and that something I still remember seeing live on the news has long since become a chapter in the history textbooks.

As for the other anniversary, time to celebrate the site that after 3 years is still alive.

All I know is that it’s weird how there are an entire generation of people who weren’t able to walk or ever alive before 9/11, and that something I still remember seeing live on the news has long since become a chapter in the history textbooks.

I know. And you can actually have conversations with some of those people. All the little nine-year-olds who weren’t alive, but are now real functioning people. It’s weird.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I’ve been dodging posting on this thread since it came up. I… well, I don’t feel I have anything worthwhile to contribute. Two planes went into the Twin Towers. I was watching from my sixth grade social studies classroom, the teacher had turned on the television (I don’t remember how he knew something was going on).

I don’t remember what I saw on that TV, whether it was the planes hitting, smoke billowing from the holes, or the towers coming down. I do remember that I was stunned, I was confused, and I was angry at whoever would do such a thing. When the news about the Pentagon filtered through, I was even more angry. Then I heard about Flight 93. That… that was the one that really sank in for me. I don’t think I heard about that much until after school, though. The early reports about the passengers taking it down, rather than let others be hurt. The cell phone calls to family. Somehow, that part of 9/11 has always resonated the most for me.

The people on the other three planes, god bless them all, were not able (through no fault of their own) to stop the attacks. But the fact that Flight 93 did manage to save the lives of those at the other intended target (be it the Capitol or the White House)...

Anyway, yeah. On a final note, I think the reflecting pools are/were a good choice for the twin towers memorial. I wish the one for Flight 93 was proper, they still haven’t built one. There’s been fighting about the design being shaped like a crescent.

As for Impish, I really love this place. I’m not really as active as I used to be, but I think it really has helped me grow as a writer, and as a person. I’ve cringed at some of the old posts of mine in the topics.

Happy third birthday, Impishidea.

Steph, I hate you for posting this first before I could get time to do it on the main site.

LOSER.

It’s called copy/paste. Duh.

I’ve cringed at some of the old posts of mine in the topics.

Ha ha, yeah… I was a brat :)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

My respects to the victims, and even more so to those who, on an ordinary day at work in a sometimes ugly city, fearlessly gave their lives in the service of others. That is the impact of 9/11 in my life: to this day I cannot see the letters “FD NY” without a little shiver running down my spine.

Happy birthday to ImpishIdea. A toast: may the Castle long stand as a sturdy floor upon which we merry few can pursue the elusive muse together.

^YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
    Awesome toast.

hugs for the girls and pats-on-the-back for the guys
    Love you people – you’re awesome.
    :-D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011 edited

Ha ha, yeah… I was a brat :)

Was?

ducks

bq. *ducks*

Where?
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011

If anyone needs ducks, I have loads of them… no, seriously, I work for a duck.

Why are you talking about straitjackets?

Do-ho-ho-ho.

...I’m not kidding.

My boss, ladies and gents.

That's just ducking silly.

I’m not kidding, I swear!

See here

I know, I know, I'm just being an obnoxious jerk.

...oh. Sometimes I’m kinda oblivious.

No worries, tone-deaf internet strikes again : )

Jeni’s going down.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

Ducks are such pussies, I fight SWAN style.

Booyah.

Jeni’s going down.

Must not comment, must not comment.

WILLOW!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

O_o

I think she broke her streak of one.

WILLOW!!!

My sentiments exactly.
    As in – dammit, woman, why are you so funny and on-the-spot?
    Your boyfriend has probably torn an ab from laughing too hard thanks to you at least once.

... what streak? o.O

Heh, thanks Klutor. Given my tendency to make inappropriate comments and bad jokes, this does sometimes happen.

But the award goes to a guy I saw at work today. I was wearing my massive bandage, and he looked down and asked:

“Did a tow truck run over you?”

Snicker giggle cracks up

The Pedovillia/Elsie comment was hilarious. This one was just outrageous.

I just… I want to put a smiley at the end of that one to soften the blow, but I just can’t.

Oh, wow, this was meant to be a serious thread…

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Not too late to take your hat off, quit yammering about ducks, and toast to the glory of II and the memory of those who’ve passed on before us.

*Raises glass*

To Impish Idea and all those who came before and to absent friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Clinks glass

Clinks glass

Clinks glass

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

stumbles upon thread

Oh, are we clinking glasses now?

Clinks glass

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011 edited

‘Tam sraight.

Refills glass for perhaps the seventh time

Well, that resolution lasted quickly.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I just really like the clinking sound.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Hey, I’m a melancholy drunk. I’ll start working up a poem in another minute.

Oh, honestly. Let’s let the thread go with honor, yes?

In all seriousness. It’s been ten years. We shouldn’t forget, and we won’t. But I think the silliness that popped up in this thread does illustrate something: healing. No one would have been able to do that nine years ago, or probably eight or seven.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Fair enough. Let the dust settle once more.

Aww, Willow :D That gave me warm fuzzies. You’re right.

^Willow’s right.

To paraphrase Rafiki: the pain of the past does matter, but once you make peace with it and learn from it, you come out stronger on the other side.

I’m late to the thread.

Because I’m just that cool.