Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Writing discussion has been a bit dead lately, so here’s my attempt at a resurrection. Basically, this thread about all the drafts after the first one, because we all know that it only begins there. Anyway, what I’ve been wondering is, as far as novels go,

1) Do you completely rewrite?
    2) Do you wait a substantial amount of time before reading over your first draft and moving on to your second? If so, how long?
    3) What’s better or worse about writing second drafts as opposed to the first draft?
    4) What do you do if there’s a lot about your draft that needs answering/fixing, but you feel kind of drained with the story for the moment? (ie, what’s your preferred way to recharge your energy and inspiration?)
    5) anything else you can think of about subsequent drafts.

1) Not so far. I think there’s one chapter I’m gonna completely scrap this draft and try something totally different, though.

2) Yes, but it’s mostly out of laziness. I spent a number of months in between each draft doing nothing, but I dunno if it’s helped me or not.

3) It helps a lot having the framework of the previous drafts there to work off of, especially if you’ve got a mostly functional scene but you want to hit a specific note with it really hard. On the other hand, if the beats of a given scene aren’t really working, using the same framework may just keep you in the wrong rhythm and you’ll make the same mistake all over again.

4) Same thing I do when I get to feeling like that on the first draft. Bite down on that bullet and start writing.

5) I spent my first draft just trying to plug ahead and make a skeleton I could use for the subsequent drafts. I didn’t go out of my way to make sure the writing was good(it really really wasn’t). I didn’t really describe much of anything, or do much in the way of flourishes. I’m trying more of that stuff now in the third draft, and I think it’s easier to know where to put it with the framework there.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011 edited

1.) Yes, over and over, because I never like the way my prose turns out the first time. I do have a bad habit of rewriting before I’ve finished the first draft. And on the rare occasions that I have a completed first draft, I rarely finish the second >.<

2.) I try to give my writing time to fester a while before I start rewriting it, except when I scrap my first draft mid-way though and immediately start rewriting. I try not to do that; it’s better that I finish a first draft, no matter how bad it is, leave it for at least a few months, then come back and have a fresh opinion about it.

3.) I seem to breeze through second drafts more quickly, because I can recycle a lot of prose and plot, and I mostly already have worked out what I need to change and how I’m going to do it.

4.) I’m not good about getting around the ‘editing block.’ I can’t really do anything but leave it and hope I come back to it later. I rarely do, but I guess this is part of being an amateur writer with few aspirations of publication. I’m trying to build confidence and enthusiasm so that can change, but it’s a slow process.

5.) To me, subsequent drafts always seem exponentially better than the previous draft. There are many times that I’m reading through a first draft and I think to myself ‘Why is this so bad? How did I write this?’. So I write a second draft, changing the things that were bothering me. And I’ll look at my completed second draft and it’ll seem exponentially better than the first. But if I leave the second draft for a while and read it later, I’ll think the same thing about it: ‘Why is this so bad?’ Then I’ll rewrite it into a third draft. Which I’ll read and believe to be exponentially better than the second. And repeat.

I hope that my writing actually gets exponentially better with subsequent drafts. I’m still thinking ‘Why is this so bad?’ after the third draft, so that means I started out with some pretty sub-standard stuff to begin with, but it gives me hope that maybe after six or seven drafts, it’ll be ready for publication.

1) I’m rewriting, mostly because I made a big structural shift that I simply can’t edit my way around. Basically, I’m junking my framework. :P Like Miel, I have problems actually finishing a draft, so actually getting the first one down was a big thing.

2) I’m taking a break as well, ostensibly to actually think about the issues that were in the first draft rather than just diving in and making the same mistakes all over again. Although, like sansafro, I’m not doing all that much (except I did come up with a cool idea about telegram wires)

3) Since I’m essentially starting over, I have the same old framework, square 1 issues, but at least I have a nice comprehensive list of things to write about! I’m going to do what I did last time and essentially plan out events…it really helped me figure out where I was going.

4) sansafro’s approach is probably best. :) What I’ve also realized is that when you tell yourself ‘I am going to do this’ enough, it becomes almost inevitable. If you even entertain the belief that maybe you won’t do it today, you almost certainly won’t.

To me, subsequent drafts always seem exponentially better than the previous draft. There are many times that I’m reading through a first draft and I think to myself ‘Why is this so bad? How did I write this?’. So I write a second draft, changing the things that were bothering me. And I’ll look at my completed second draft and it’ll seem exponentially better than the first. But if I leave the second draft for a while and read it later, I’ll think the same thing about it: ‘Why is this so bad?’ Then I’ll rewrite it into a third draft. Which I’ll read and believe to be exponentially better than the second. And repeat.

If I had ever completed multiple drafts, this would be my life.

Anyway, the good thing about this thread is that it’s getting me thinking about my draft again! I actually feel inspired, so thanks for that.

1) It depends. On my current WIP, yes, but only because I’m completely changing the segue of time.
    2) Honestly, I’m rarely happy with what I write. As soon as I think something’s off, or I don’t like something, I’ll change it. This can take between an hour and a few years.
    3) I think writing a second draft is better because my interest in what I’m writing usually grows. I don’t know that there are many disadvantages to writing second drafts, but they definitely help me get my thoughts together.
    4) I’m actually going through a phase like this. If it’s been a significant amount of time and I’m just not writing anything, I usually start writing exquisite corpse stories with lookingforme, or re-reading something that gave me an idea. Other than that, I just stay put because I know that if I force myself to write, whatever I write will suck.
    5) I think writing and re-writing are really important to the writing process, and I find that the more drafts I write, the better my writing gets.

Hope that helps!

1) I haven’t been because I’m lazy. I do completely rewrite some scenes that were either really terrible or that have changed too much not to completely rewrite them. Of course, I started rewriting before I finished my first draft, so it may be a little different if I had actually finished it the first time around.
    2) I have thought about this question a lot, and what I think I might do when I finish this draft is write something else for a while, and then go back to it with fresh eyes. What I’ve been doing with this rewrite, though, is having the documents open side-by-side and rewriting chapters like that.
    3) First drafts, I am mostly just trying to finish, but with second drafts, it goes a little faster because I already know what’s happened and what needs to happen. But right now, I’m getting past what I had written before and back into first draft territory, so slow-goings.
    4) I’m bad at this. I can feel really energized about writing when I’m just going through scenes in my head, but when I actually sit down to write them, they don’t come out right. I also tend to think of ideas for other stories while I’m writing, and then I want to go write them instead. What I do to try and get reenergized for the current story, though, is just to run through scenes in my head that I’m excited to write for whatever reason. Then I want to write, so I can get to that part and write it. I also find that writing late at night makes me more inspired to write for some reason.
    5) If I let a story sit for a while and go back and reread it, it doesn’t seem like I wrote it. It seems like I’m reading someone else’s story. It’s weird.

If I let a story sit for a while and go back and reread it, it doesn’t seem like I wrote it. It seems like I’m reading someone else’s story.

It’s funny, I read my stuff and think for whatever reason ‘How did I come up with this at all?’

‘How did I come up with this at all?’

I do that with specific lines and phrases. Sometimes I think, “Why did you think this was good?” And every once in a while, I think (this has mostly happened with short stories), “You can’t write this well. How did you come up with that?”