Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

Has anyone else read this book? I’m starting my fifth reading. <_< I don’t know. Any time I feel like I need inspiration or hope I go and it again.

I read it. Felt like 2 or 3 different stories to me. Not as big as an impression on me that it had on others.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

It does feel like different stories, because Francie’s perspective shifts. She goes from being a kid to an adolescent to basically an adult, and yes, the entire story changes along with her.

Thread resurrect!

I stopped at the chapter in which family history is mentioned. It just got tiring to read things about her parents and have them compare those things to Francine. It’s a pity because my first impression was, “Wow, this looks nice!”

I actually just recently read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and I enjoyed it very much. I liked her transition from a girl, to an adolescent to an adult; ‘twas amazingly well done.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011

I liked this book very much, and find hmyd.windermere's comments interesting, because Francie herself was not the most memorable character or the source of the most memorable sequences for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011

It’s definitely one of my favorite books of all time. Like RVL said, I felt like the way Francie grew as the book progress was done almost flawlessly. It was one of those books where I wish it went on forever.

I know I’m only repeating what everyone else has already said, but I loved how seamlessly the book progressed. The problem with writing books about growing up is often they come off as short stories about the same characters: here is the protagonist at age 5, then here she is at age 8, etc. Francie grew up little by little; it was almost as if you were watching her in real time.