Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Have you ever created a character to be an extra with about two lines, but then they blossom out of control?

For instance, last night I was working away at my WIP. I was writing a scene in which the main character, Ivan, was stuck on a train, being deported to Siberia. Now, obviously, for a scene of sitting in a train compartment to be interesting, something has to happen. So to give the scene a bit more flavour, I had the man next to him start making conversation. But he came off much stronger than I intended and now I have an extra character I don’t know what to do with. I’m not even sure what is function is. Friend? Love Intrest? Friend-turned-traitor? But furthermore, this means I have to re-adjust my plot line to accomedate him, and my plans of leaving the main character in the total isolation needed to turn him into the hardened stoic he needs to be are now skewed. Also, he came right the hell out of nowhere, so he has no backstory at all and I have no idea what goes through his head.

I COULD just kill him off I suppose, but I feel like that would be counterproductive. He can’t just disapear because I’ve given him too much notice for that. I could just write him out completely, but I kind of like him.

So has something like this ever happened to any of you, and how do you deal with it?

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011

I love coming up with characters’ backstories, so this happens to me all the time. I can’t say I know how to deal with them appropriately. I guess it’s not a bad thing to have characters with complex motivations, but it’s way too easy as a writer to get sucked into them.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011

That’s happened to me too. I created this character named George Thyster as the father of two other characters. All I knew about him was that he cheated people, had once been a candidate for the throne, was an alcoholic, and favored his daughter over his son. But then this whole backstory spun up around him, and made him much more sympathetic.
    And I’ve heard that that was how some of Terry Pratchett’s most memorable characters came about—they were created as throwaways, but they gradually became more important.

Have you ever created a character to be an extra with about two lines, but then they blossom out of control?

Yes.

I love coming up with characters’ backstories, so this happens to me all the time.

Side characters with interesting quirks and personalities often make me wonder; why are they like that? What does the world look like from their POV? How did they end up here?

Which is why the unfinished sequel to this one horrible story I once wrote focused a lot on the backstories of three of the kids who weren’t really all that plot-important initially (think Seamus & Dean from HP) as well as the villain’s enigmatic righthand man (who was probably the best bad guy I’ve ever written) and a new assassin who wasn’t there in the previous book and just came into the story to do the new villain’s dirty work (can you say Boba Fett?).

And I’ve heard that that was how some of Terry Pratchett’s most memorable characters came about—they were created as throwaways, but they gradually became more important.

Like Death, for example.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011

Yes, there was Death, and then I think Vimes and Granny Weatherwax. From what I’ve read (and I haven’t read the first Watch book, only the second), it was originally supposed to be more about Carrot. Then Vimes gradually took over the story, and it became more about him.
    There’s also a character of mine, who has the incredibly weird name of Julius Dennamar. He was originally made as a half-comical antagonist, but now his role in the story has greatly expanded.

originally supposed to be more about Carrot

I didn’t know that. Isn’t Guards! Guards! the first Watch book?

incredibly weird name of Julius Dennamar

Really? Really, now? You think that’s weird?
    Try (Professor) Naster Quaddleton – the name of one of my new MCs.

He was originally made as a half-comical antagonist, but now his role in the story has greatly expanded.

I have two of those.
    They’re going to cause a lot more trouble than they’re worth – for the heroes, at least. Not for me.:-)

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011

Yes, ‘Guards! Guards!’ is the first one, but I haven’t read it. Of the Watch series, I’ve only read ‘Men at Arms’.
    Most of my characters have made up names, sometimes interspersed with real names that I like. For example, one of the stories I’m working on right now has characters named Julian, Charlotte, Robin, Theresa, Aldan, Julie—and Thiswold.

My story takes place in Russia, so that kind of cements the kind of names I use. (unless someone was a forgiener). I try and find names that are easy enough for English speakers to pronounce, though.

But I’ve figured out how to use my new character as an unexpected love interest who has mysterious ties to another character in the past. Twill be all twistyful and lovely. :3

For my NaNoWriMo, my main characters knocked on the door of a random house to use the phone. Little did they know that this man was a world-traveler/estranged grandpa to one of the MCs/singlehandedly brought down the mafia/the most BA old man I’ve ever written.

He got a little out of hand…

What I have been known to do in that situation (the whole two times that’s happened to me) is I delete the exchange and rewrite a boring-er one. But I save a copy of the interesting exchange and then planned to use that character in something else where they could shine on their own rather than mess up my nice plot.

How many facepalms do you guys want to post because of this?

I'm the type of writer that usually cannot get to chapter 10, so the blossoming of a two-line character is beneficial for me. It forces me to develop more plot and increase in literacy. The trade off? For me, the plot heads for a different direction and the conclusion is prolonged. It's kind of a "well crap" situation, because to work the plot around a character whom was originally not even going to be a main, is very tedious and confusing. At least it is to me.

I think that killing the character off would be best to do at the very beginning while more is learned about the character afterward, possibly from another character who knew him, maybe even the main. They could also be killed off at the very end of the story/arc after a good amount of character development has taken place and bonds have been forged.

@Steph: Not at all. Actually, I sort of want to try doing that with one of my stories now. Thanks! ^^

I think that killing the character off would be best to do at the very beginning while more is learned about the character afterward, possibly from another character who knew him, maybe even the main. They could also be killed off at the very end of the story/arc after a good amount of character development has taken place and bonds have been forged.

Those are two pretty good options.

Also – spinoffs?
    I think this is how they happen in the first place, but then again, that’s pretty obvious.

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011 edited

When I get runaway character concepts I usually end up creating a parallel storyline for them, and sometimes have the different storylines to join up later on. I think that’s common in longer Manga works, for example, which might be where I got that tendency from…

(À la LotR, lol)

Bump. bumpitybumpbumpbump.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

creating a parallel storyline for them

This is very clever. I really like this.

I like that idea too.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011

So has something like this ever happened to any of you, and how do you deal with it?

Roll with it. Honestly, I think there’s nothing better for a story than finding characters that you didn’t expect and having them force their way into your story.

Admittedly, I very rarely plan ahead and usually write by the seat of my pants, but I’ve found some of my favorite characters this way. They just randomly stumbled into a scene and then became main characters (or at least strong supporting characters).

At the very least, I’d recommend seeing where it takes you. You can always excise the character later if it’s not working out.

Roll with it. Honestly, I think there’s nothing better for a story than finding characters that you didn’t expect and having them force their way into your story.

That’s what I’ve been doing and now the previously unwanted character is an important part of the story, (though he’s kind of turned out to be a male Polyanna type character, lol) and I don’t honestly know how I could have written it without him there..

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011

Is Pollyanna like British for “Gary Stu” or something?

Inspector is Mmurikan, and a Pollyanna is someone who’s overly positive.

I’m actually really scared of characters taking over and wrecking all my carefully-built plans.

I guess I need to loosen up or all my writing will be really forced.

Is Pollyanna like British for “Gary Stu” or something?

You never read Pollyanna? Well, you’re not missing anything. What Sansa said.

@Steph: I almost never plan. Or rather, all my plans are in my head, and they can evolve and change at a moment’s notice. Like, I know exactally where the story is going, but I have no outline, and things can be changed for new characters.

Ah, I used to write like that. The joys of it, before I got worried about complexity and intertwining plots.

Oh, I have complexity and intertwining plots, but I can keep it straight in my head. I’m just that brilliant.

throws daggers at you

I think I might go back to writing only at the level where I can keep it straight in my head (with a few notes at the end of the story, because I’m not perfect). That way was the most fun to write, the best stuff I’ve ever written, and the only stuff I’ve ever finished.

catches daggers

Oh, I didn’t say that I do it well. :D

Funny, I’ve always thought I might want to try outlining, or rather, just try it for the sake of trying it. But the thing is, that makes it seem more like work….and even if I want to do it for a living, I don’t want it to become a chore. (I do, however, always go back and edit, which can be a chore at times.) It’s like writing out my “to read” list. Once I do that, it becomes a task list and therefore dull.

See, there’s one story where an outline has really helped. That was this kids’ story that has 10 main characters and 5 minor ones to keep track of, and when I get around to working on it, it always goes really well, because I know where I’m going next and I know I can deviate from the outline if I want.

Any time I do a story with fantasy in it, and try to outline it all before I even put some words on the page, it fails and feels like work. I think I must prefer to work more organically when I have to create an entirely new world for the story. I don’t like to deviate from outlines when they also detail how my magic system works.

Actually, I have done SOME outlining, in the form of a timeline. My WIP spans a time period of almost thirty years, so of course characters are being born/doing other important things that aren’t actually in the novel offpage. The timeline went year by year, for every important event in the story and/or backstory, just so I could know that what was happening made sense. And then I found that according to their ages, one guy ended up being a dad at like, 14. So I fixed that.

However, the timeline didn’t show the future (not the end…), just the past and what was happening presently in the story, ‘cause I added to it as I wrote more.

I should really do that for this draft of it, since it was pretty helpful

And I can see how for a magic system an outline would be useful (or one with ten main characters). But I gave up writing fantasy ages ago, and generaly have only one main character, with a handful of supporting characters and a load of minor ones.

And I can see how for a magic system an outline would be useful (or one with ten main characters).

My new WiP:

Current amount of MCs? 9 and counting
    Working-out of Magic system? Spanning over two pages and counting

I tend to have a very small group of close-knit characters. It makes it more heartbreaking when I kill them off.

Lovely.

And you know, technically, being a dad at fourteen is possible. If you have the right gear, I mean. I couldn’t be a dad at fourteen. Or, you know, any age.

And I can see how for a magic system an outline would be useful.

Magic systems drive me NUTS! Every time something goes wrong with my plot, because the magic system is so intertwined with it, I have to unpick it and start all over again, and it gets to the stage where if something happens that I don’t like, I go back and change the magic system rather than just work out the problems.

I think I prefer fantasy that doesn’t go too in-depth with magic.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011

We came to that conclusion before Steph; there used to be a long discussion about magic in stories somewhere around here…

As it’s an abstract phenomenon, it’s better to leave it to the audience’s imagination, as Sly repeatedly argued, because if you try to build your world around the details, it’s bound to fall down somewhere.

Ms. Inspector, I don’t know why people say the first part of your name makes you sound masculine (as if women can’t be inspectors!), but you could probably work in a really intriguing sub-plot to push the main story forward and have him die in it. Make it all mysterious and you can hook the audience like that.

Lovely.
    I’m just a heaping pile of cheer and hapiness.

And you know, technically, being a dad at fourteen is possible. If you have the right gear, I mean. I couldn’t be a dad at fourteen. Or, you know, any age.

I know it is, but as this guy is the mature, responsible Christian, him being a dad at 14 doesn’t make much sense.

Ms. Inspector, I don’t know why people say the first part of your name makes you sound masculine (as if women can’t be inspectors!), but you could probably work in a really intriguing sub-plot to push the main story forward and have him die in it. Make it all mysterious and you can hook the audience like that.

Oh, I’ve done just that. With a shocking twist. Well, a Twist and an Untwist. It’s deliciously melodramatic and Hugo-esque.

We came to that conclusion before Steph; there used to be a long discussion about magic in stories somewhere around here…

Oh, knowing us, probably. I’ve just decided that we’re having it again. In a completely unrelated thread.

As it’s an abstract phenomenon, it’s better to leave it to the audience’s imagination, as Sly repeatedly argued, because if you try to build your world around the details, it’s bound to fall down somewhere.

The thing is, the way the magic works is tied to where the faeries (it’s urban fantasy) come from and how they use it. It’s a fairly important part of the story, which is why it’s so detailed.

IK, your novel does sound delicious.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011

You know, you’re both ticklin my fancy with these stories of yours. Any chance I could proof-read?

IK, your novel does sound delicious.

Oh, it is. :3

You know, you’re both ticklin my fancy with these stories of yours. Any chance I could proof-read?

Well, mine is an utter wreck that is actually kind of embarassing to read. :/ I’m in my third draft of it (which means this is the third time I’ve completely re-written it), and it’s still not fit for human eyes.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011

Don’t worry, my eyes are not human.

As for my story, I’m flattered you want to read it, but draft one’s not even done, and once it is it will be so incredibly preachy that it will make you want to tear out your eyes and impale them on a cross sitting on the closest church rooftop.

...yeah, it’ll take a while to tone it down.

yeah, my current draft isn’t finished, and it’s so full of holes it’s kind of comically.

and once it is it will be so incredibly preachy that it will make you want to tear out your eyes and impale them on a cross sitting on the closest church rooftop.

XD maybe the heat’s getting to me, but that made me laugh out loud. How is it ‘preachy’? Do you go off on tangentical sermons or something?

XD maybe the heat’s getting to me, but that made me laugh out loud. How is it ‘preachy’? Do you go off on tangentical sermons or something?

At the end it completely abandons all semblance of a metaphor and the goal is to get everyone to heaven, with angels coming down and fighting the powers of darkness, and stereotypical stalwart evil people, and i’ve manage to turn something that could be awesome and epic into something completely terrible.

The stupid thing is that I never wanted any metaphor or any preachiness in it in the first place. I just wanted to write an urban fantasy that incorporated Christianity instead of ignoring it, with some romance on the side.

And of course because as a Christian, I worry about the state of peoples’ souls a lot, I had to start exploring how my faeries fit into that structure and how they could be saved, and now the story ends with them all going to heaven.

Which, I mean, it’s nice, but it’s not the point, it’s preachy, it overshadows any other story I try to construct using that setup for pure epicness, it crowds out the romance aspect, and I didn’t want it in the first place. sobs

I think I need some help.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011

A new Phillip Pullman?!

I never thought you were like that Steph! XD

AHAHAHAHAHA... oh, it’s too true, it’s not funny. What have I become?

Anyway, he did it on purpose, so nyah!

I can sympathize with that, because I used to be a Christian and worried to death about even fictional characters (I used to be so upset when characters died in things and they weren’t Christians becasue if they were real, they’d be in Hell), so all mine had to be Christians, which meant that they would take time to pray/talk about God. It became weird, though, when I tried to weave it into my Redwall ripoff furry animal story, because hedgehogs and moose and things having a prayer meeting is just….not quite right.

Now that I’m not a Christian anymore, I still have a character who is a refugee of those days. He’s a Christian, but he’s also in prision for murder. However, he regrets his past and his faith influences pretty much everything he does. He doesn’t preach….but he does inform other characters when he doesn’t approve of their actions and tries to stop them from doing wrong. He’s kind of the Voice of Reason (at least to the protagonist, who is rather ammoral), and an all around general Nice Guy. He dies, but the protagonist is a better person for having met him.

‘Though the entire story is about how a decent man becomes close to an absolute monster because of all the horrible things that happen to him, but is eventually redeemed by the Powers of Forgiveness and Love. Which is far more Christian-y than I ever ever intended.

Also, it’s easy enough to lapse into other kinds of preaching. For instance, my protagonist is gay in a time period where that would not be accepted by anybody. It’s not a “OMG HOMOPHOBIA IS EVUL” story, but it’s difficult to have other characters be in opposition to his lifestyle without them coming across as cruel. I THINK I should be ok because:
    1. it’s something he mostly keeps to himself so it is less of an issue.
    2. Most of the people who know are at least civil to him.

This thread is the closest thing I could find relating to the little problem I have right now.
    It goes like so:

I have an MC who’s a vampire. And no, the story isn’t a Vampire Story™; it has pretty much everything in it (except Tolkienesque elves and hobbits – I might put in dwarves, though). Vamp’s personality is worked out fully, now, and so are the dynamics between him and the other MCs. He has a thing for the “traditional” horror tropes, so he does a lot of them on purpose, because a) he fully embraces what he is and b) he’s an utter drama queen. E.g. he got himself a castle in a secluded area just so he can get a kick out of telling people to “enter freely, and of your own will”.
    As result of this, he has four gorgeous “brides”; not really concubines, rather friends/roommates/employees/Praetorian guard/personal band of assassins (it’s that complicated). Initially they weren’t going to feature a lot, but I changed my mind and started working on making them more developed and distinguished than just a couple of living props.

Basic and simplified (read: un-spoilered) description would be like so: Their leader (brunette) is a manipulative, scheming little bitch with a bit of a psycho side when she gets angry. The other brunette is a calm, sensitive, motherly artist-type. Blondie is a total 100% psycho.
    Redhead is my problem – I can’t decide on a personality for her.
    Can you guys help me, please? :-)

Not to speak in tropes or anything, but I think it would be funny to have a Little Miss Badass.

Not to speak in tropes or anything

Of course not. We’re above all that. ;-)

As for Little Miss Badass, the leader “bride” is physically a small teenager (think Summer Glau), so she kinda fits the bill already. And at least one of my other MCs could kinda fit the description, too.

You know how your MC is the horror trope guy— well, what if Redhead is the embodiment of all the Disney princess tropes (eg when she sings, animals flock to her, driving Blondie mad…). I’m sure this’d be good for a few jokes and may help the plot in other ways too.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011

^^Just the redhead bit would be good for the Disney princess tropes, since so many of them have red hair anymore.

You should make a couple of specific Disney princess references.

I’d so love it if she kept getting new animal sidekicks, and the other brides were just constantly going, “Where do you find these things?”

eg when she sings, animals flock to her, driving Blondie mad…

I love that. It’s brilliant.
    That should make her balance out Blondie and not-leader-brunette.

since so many of them have red hair anymore

You mean “so few”? I can only think of one; Ariel.
    Fiona doesn’t really count, because Shrek isn’t a “straight” fairytale.

I’d so love it if she kept getting new animal sidekicks, and the other brides were just constantly going, “Where do you find these things?”

Are we talking normal cute little birdies and bunnies and puppies and stuff, or “I’ll go with what I can get” like in Enchanted? Cause she does live in a paint-by-numbers haunted castle, after all.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011

You mean “so few”? I can only think of one; Ariel.

Well, I was thinking more of the overall Disney princesses, not just the fairytales—not Fiona, but whatshername in the live-action, and then Pixar’s upcoming princess. I’m not entirely sure what I’m thinking of either, because so many fictional characters are redheads, at least far more than real life.

^True.
    Redheads are rare IRL.

The MC male vamp is a redhead, too. And I’m probably gonna put in one more non-vampiric female redhead in somewhere. The rest of the main cast are a brunette, a black-haired guy, a grey-haired old timer, a dark blond guy, a normal (light/golden/whatever) blonde girl and a hairless alien.
    And now I sound stupid cause I only described their hair.
    :-O

HAHAHAHA

Now you have to put me in the acknowledgements. NOW.

Of course I will.

But you have to help me out with this one, first:

Are we talking normal cute little birdies and bunnies and puppies and stuff, or “I’ll go with what I can get” like in Enchanted? Cause she does live in a paint-by-numbers haunted castle, after all.

Yeah.

It’d be hilarious if when she first came, it was only the cute ones, and now she’s attracting all types. Perhaps she has a growing core of steel.

Hahaha, I can just picture it: she’s sitting in a huge chair in front of the fireplace, and the rest of the room is dark and gloomy and full of cobwebs and dust… and there are a bunch of bluebirds and bunny rabbits on her lap. Priceless.

And they follow her on secret assignments.

Also, picture this: “How did you know that?” “A little birdy told me.”

^Of course.:-)

I also seriously consider making her the youngest of the four brides by a long shot – that would kind of justify the way she is, I think.

I think actually not being the youngest would highlight her innocence/supposed innocence: it’d show she’s kept it through the years. And you could explore that.

Okaaayy…
    But she can’t be the oldest, either – cause the leader-brunette (the one who looks like a tiny teenager) is by far the oldest. Also Blondie has to be really old, because things were horrible back when she was (sort of) human. That’s why she’s so psycho.

So make her second-youngest. I just think it’d be nice to make her a different age than the cliche (sorry!) would have her be. Harking back to the originality vs quality of writing discussion, it’s little stuff like this that helps take the cliche out of things and give them a twist.

Cool.

Heyheyhey, now – I’m already subverting a bunch of cliches just with this one group (one MC, four SCs). Let’s see:
    -neither the MC nor his brides angst about being vampires
    -there are four brides instead of three
    -the oldest one looks younger than all the others
    -the brides aren’t really, well, brides If You Know What I Mean
    -the blonde isn’t dumb
    -the redhead isn’t fiery
    -the brides are fully developed people as opposed to being, well, brides….

I could go on, but I won’t.
    ;-)
    But yeah, very good idea overall.
    I’m definitely putting you in the acknowledgements…:-D

That’s what I like to hear :D

And sorry, I wasn’t trying to say you were being cliched. I was just trying to make links to another conversation.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011

Will any of them die?

Please make at least one of them die!

And sorry, I wasn’t trying to say you were being cliched.

It’s okay – don’t worry about it.
    I just kinda pride myself on playing with a lot of tropes.:-)

@MegaB – all right, but it will have to happen quite a while into the story, otherwise the reader won’t be attached to whoever goes down.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Well…you could do it so the character that dies is one everyone hates.

I actually believe that cultivating a really abhorrent antagonist is far harder than shaping a main character.

^I’mma disagree with you there: a lot of authors (especially inexperienced) ones try to make a character cool and likeable… and he/she either ends up a Stu/Sue, or a Scrappy, or a sociopath, or all of the above. Case in point – Eragon? Supposed to be the Chosen noble hero. Edward Cullen? Supposed to be the perfect gentleman and the ideal boyfriend. Lana Lang in Smallville? Supposed to be a sweet and noble woobie, loved and adored by friggin’ everyone.

Making a character an abhorrent monster comes easily (for me, at least): just let him/her channel Mr Blonde, with a bit of Joker, a bit of Azazel (SPN) and add a great big scoop of never feeling sorry for what he/she did in the past ever. Then mix it with a good helping of uncanny valley. Voila!

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I much prefer the likeable antagonist. Nothing spices up a manuscript for me like a good dash of TOR-MENTTT! Who should I root for? Who’s the good guy? Can this dude be redeemed? Will he become completely EVUL? So much more fun.

As a Roman Catholic, incidentally, I have much less of a problem with characters who are pagan or believers in other religions or “unsaved” or whatever, because my religion teaches that all other systems of philosophy and religious thought have greater or lesser degrees of the truth in them, and also teaches that those who do not know Christ will be judged on what they did know. So a good Muslim or a holy Buddhist or a saintly Protestant (I’ve known quite a lot of those) has a better shot at salvation than a lousy Catholic (of whom I have unfortunately also known quite a few). Just another point of view.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Ask yourself the question, Klutor, of when was the last time you read or watched an antagonist you really loathed.

I can honestly say that even Voldemort, I didn’t really mind because he had a very human past which sort of explained why he was the way he was. Now the Joker, now that’s an antagonist. Righteously crazy, a maniac and psychopath simply because he wants to be.

Good villains are few and far between. Good heroes are a dime a dozen. And may I point out that Eragon is maybe…not the best example here. ;)

I have to say that Tamora Pierce does some pretty good antagonists. The Nothing Man (Bayce whats-his-name), Duke Roger of Conte and Princess Imajane are some who spring to mind. I hated Duke Roger.

@MegaB – I also didn’t hate Voldy, but that was because he’s just so stupid. The whole “I want him alive so I can kill him myself” drama.

Now the Joker, now that’s an antagonist. Righteously crazy, a maniac and psychopath simply because he wants to be.

I agree on that one. Hell, I think most people with agree with you there. The Joker (specifically the incarnation played by the late Ledger) was a complete monster just because it’s fun. We never find out his past, and it doesn’t actually matter, either, cause there’s this urgency to stop him now.

an antagonist you really loathed

What’s the name of that Roman general-guy in the Spartacus series? His wife is Illythia? That guy is one sick puppy; he’s a lot worse than Batiatus (played by a very hammy John Hannah), with almost no redeeming qualities at all.
    IIRC, his actor also plays the main villain in Legend of the Seeker.

And may I point out that Eragon is maybe…not the best example here. ;)

Hey, now – I was using examples of characters that were loved by their creators, but were seen in a different (negative) light by others.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011

Hey, now – I was using examples of characters that were loved by their creators, but were seen in a different (negative) light by others.

Totally understandable, but do you see my point? Really, a good story can be categorised as one with powerful positive and negative influences. If one is out of balance, the whole story becomes weakened by it. Only very few writers can carry on and still publish a work without that scale. JKR did it, but looking back on it now, the conflict between Harry and Voldemort was always secondary until the final book and maybe that’s why DH fell down for me.

We never find out his past, and it doesn’t actually matter, either, cause there’s this urgency to stop him now.

How I wish there were more villains like that.

That’d be pretty cool, actually. I guess though they have to be layered/cool enough that the lack of backstory doesn’t make it feel incomplete, however.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011

Exactly. It’s a difficult proposition, even for the best authors and that’s why I truly believe that the villain is just as important as the hero in any story.

Totally understandable, but do you see my point?

Yeah, I do.

the conflict between Harry and Voldemort was always secondary until the final book and maybe that’s why DH fell down for me

I have a couple of different reasons, but I also hated DH.
    Loved all 6 others, though.

You don’t think a writer could screw up by making a villain too similar to Ledger’s Joker (goes for any other villain, too, ftm)?
    Also – my new main villain appears to be one of those “sad guys” who never got over something bad that happened long ago, and he used to be such a nice guy, really, if only X didn’t hit him so hard…..
    ....except that his backstory shows him to have been pretty damn evil from the start. He started out really bad already, and got much, much worse.