Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011 edited

Alright, so, I looked to see if there was already a thread like this, and since there wasn't, I decided to make one.

Basically, what I'm asking is: When you get a book, say, are you the type of person who doesn't want to share with anyone else, and when you discover you like it, do you still not share it, or do you thrust it into the hands of anyone who will take it (sometimes those who protest too much)? Things like that. :)

Personally, I'm very selfish with my books. I hate to read a book and have my sister try and read it at the same time, and I have to reread a book several times before I'll let anyone else borrow them (I'm just that greedy) though it won't stop me from telling them how great the book is and describing in great detail how wonderful it is and why and never shut up about it, even when I'm bodily threatened if I don't shut my trap.

So, II, how are you with your books?
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011

Sometimes, when I think a book is good, I’ll shove it down my friends’ throat. Otherwise, I just keep to myself.

When I think a book is bad, I make sure people know that it’s bad and avoid it.

The books I really, really like are the ones I swallow up in a couple days. The ones I hate take several weeks at the least to finish.

•  
      CommentAuthorOldArnold

When I'm done reading a book, I usually don't even mention it to anyone. I might share my thoughts on it if someone ask me how it was, or if somebody else is making a movie out of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I do tend to gush about books I really enjoyed to my friends, but I generally don’t offer to let them borrow my copies. They’re MY books, go get it from the library if you’re that desperate to read it.

Although I might be cajoled into sharing if I must. Library books I’m a little more free with.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I don’t usually like to share what I read with anyone else. For some reason that feels like a private issue to me.

I tell people about books that I like and try to pressure them into reading them, but I don’t really offer to let them borrow mine. I think I’m afraid they’ll lose it or mess it up. If people request to borrow books, I usually let them. I like to read books before other people, though. If there are a bunch of books by one author, I will recommended that other people get the ones I’ve already read and read those because I don’t want them to read the others that I haven’t read before I get a chance to read them. I don’t know why.

I badger other people about what they’re reading but I tend to be a bit more private with what I’m reading. Unless, of course, I’m asked. Then you’ll never get me to shut up about it.

I badger other people about what they’re reading

I do that too. I had this friend in middle school that kept consistently picking really good books to read, so I would ask her all the time about what she was reading and what it was about, so I could go get it. Then the streak ended, and I ended up reading this book that hated because she said it was good.

• CommentAuthorMoggo

My friends do not care about reading, which is sad. I do try to share with them everything I can about any book I happen to like, in hope that I'll get them interested, but so far no luck. They just listen politely and change subject as soon as they get the chance each time I start rambling about a series. In the rare cases in which they do want to read something, I don't have any problems with playing library, unless it's someone I know to be sloppy with other's possesions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNinjaCat

None of my friends read either. But when I find a series I like, I want them to read it, because then they'll know what I'm talking about. It doesn't help that I read books that not many people know about (ever heard of Rob Thurman?). By the time I do get them to read them, they end up taking my books for half a year, only reading part of it, and then destroying it. So no, I tend to not loan out my books.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

I tell people about the great book I’m reading. Then they either 1) say “Oh, cool, I’ll have to read that” and never remember or 2) don’t care. But as long as they listen, I’m okay. Even if its the same book(s) time after time. However, I do tend to leave my books laying around the house quite a bit and I find it very satisfying to find that my dad has picked it up and can’t put it down. That’s what matters to me more, is what my dad thinks of my books, and not so much my friends. Because my dad gets it.

I finish books I love really quickly, and then try to make everyone I know read it. Though the only ones who listens are my best friend and my cousin. everyone else kind of just goes: ‘ah, whatever, the Inspector’s found another book”. And they don’t care.

If I don’t like a book, I take forever to finish it and then tell everyone I know not to read it.

I keep my books in my hoard. And I hurt you if you touch them.

If I don't like the book it will suffer the indignity of banging the wall and being sent of to the Library where it will be discarded.

I usually try to suggest books to other people, but not all of my efforts are appreciated.
    Also, if I don’t like a book, I try to finish it as quickly as possible – unless the reason it sucks is boringness, in which case I’ll just drop it.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011 edited

If I really love a book or hate a book I will talk about it. Or, if I’m in comfortable company and reading, I’ll share my various observations as long as they’ll let me get away with it (generally not long). I push Pratchett like drugs. At this point, in my usual groups, if reading comes up at all, my friends will bring him up before I can. It’s my hallmark, and kind of sad.

But I only share my books with a few friends, and only sometimes, if they really want something specific. Since I don’t know all that many people I need to share books with (since most of my friends are readers) it hasn’t been too bad in terms of loosing books. Yet.

If I really love a book or hate a book I will talk about it.

This.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011

Upbupbupbup. Official time.

I freakin’ hate one word posts with “this”. It adds nothing to the thread. Please try and contribute more. Sorry, it’s not often I go imposing like this, but I think that sort of thing is important for a writing forum. Thank you.

Klutor, sorry man, I’m totally not singling you out, others have done it, it’s just I’ve remembered to say something this time.

/officialityness

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011

/killingthread

I’m surprisingly shy IRL when it comes to books. I mean, I’ll gush about certain ones, but very rarely insist people read them. :/ Probably because I’m worried they won’t enjoy it as much as I did, but gushing lets out my YAY.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011

You’re nicer than I am. I have a terrible habit of pushing the books I love on people I talk myself into believing will like them, and if they don’t like the books? I try and talk them into liking them. Because the books I love are awesome.

Fortunately for my social life, this doesn’t happen often. And like I said, most of my friends have huge reading lists of their own, and have valid reasons to demure. Then I just go bug my brothers (which, no they don’t read much, but you know, they’re my brothers. That’s what they’re for! :D)

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011

I have a terrible habit of pushing the books I love on people I talk myself into believing will like them

Me too. No one ever appreciates it either.

Except occasionally my sister. But with her, it’s more like when I bother her about them she says “NO” then when I’m not looking, she sneaks them out of my room and reads them.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011

You’re nicer than I am. I have a terrible habit of pushing the books I love on people I talk myself into believing will like them

I think what stops me from this is that if/when people read them and don’t like them, it’s kind of a blow, you know? It’s like having a new great friend you introduce to one of your best friends and they say: “yeah, your friend is a jerk.”

By not liking a book I love, it feels like they’re undermining my taste. :(

Which is SO sensitive, but I’m the sort of person who will buy charity books from charity shops so they know they’re loved.

...ahem.

Which is SO sensitive, but I’m the sort of person who will buy charity books from charity shops so they know they’re loved.

I’ve done things like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011

This weekend, I was in the unusual (for me) position of having someone else pushing books on me! But in a good way; his reading tastes are pretty good so I asked him for some recommendations and ended up with a lovely list of a half-dozen authors I need to look up now.

See, pushing books on people isn’t always bad!

Oh gosh, I’ve lost count of how many friends I’ve forced to read either Lord of the Rings or Jane Austen! (Usually both at the same time :D) I guess I’m a share-with-everyone type of reader…whenever I find something that I love, as soon as I finish reading it, I feel like I need to tell SOMEONE about it and convince them to read it so that we can talk about it together. (Especially if the male lead character is attractive. No, I am NOT shallow!! What makes you say that?) I think RVL is the easiest to push books upon—of course, being four years older and being an expert tackler helps my case :)

I have a question (that is totally non-judgmental): If you are the type of person who DOESN’T want to share your favoriteist book of all time with others, why? Are you afraid they won’t like it? Is it a well kept secret that you don’t want to spread? Again, not judging here—a lot of my friends are very secretive about their favorite books.