Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So I know ImpishIdea has focused on Twilight & Eragon for their popularity, but what of other popular books that really sucked?

I know that the Left Behind series and Da Vinci Code really REALLY sucked regardless of whatever viewpoint they espoused. What else might the site discuss or bash?

Anything by Sidney Sheldon, Tom Clancy, etc.

• CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson was awful.

I can’t say for the rest of James Patterson’s works because I haven’t read them, but after that book, I’m in no hurry to. It was one of the most predictable, least exciting books I have ever read, and the characters had almost no personality. I actually liked Eragon far more.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Don’t read them. They are BLARGH. And GNASH TEETH and WHY THE HECK IS HE SO POPULAR?

• CommentAuthorEric

My aunt loves his books.

I love my aunt.

I do not, however, love her love of James Patterson’s books.

Someone on the old forum mentioned The Mysterious Benedict Society. I don’t think that it’s popular enough to warrant front-page placement, though (and it certainly isn’t as bad as Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate).

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009 edited

I generally dislike Ken Follett, though, to be honest, I’ve only read a couple of his books.

I found Orcs by Stan Nicholls to be utterly terrible. The characters, although the book claims they are orcs, act more like cardboard cutouts in makeup, and to be honest I gave up around the time he devoted 3 pages to a soldier getting his leg amputated. The Eval queen whose purpose seemed to be to get angry and randomly rape and murder her servants didn’t exactly help.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Maximum Ride books. Might be controversial, but whatever.

Erm, I haven't read the books, but the Clique books? It's about girls being bitchy to each other. How am I supposed to enjoy that?

(This is why I didn't like Mean Girls. It was a very good movie, of course, and savagely funny, but it made me feel terrible. Which was probably the point. The thing is, everyone here knows that I am incapable of being really truly mean)
    @ Eric:

Daniel X was DISGUSTING! I picked it up, expecting another fantastic book in the vein of Maximum Ride and I got some Gary Stu. And badly written at that. Gosh.

Speaking of Maximum Ride, don't read past the first three. Every single one of those is fantastic (even if Angel gets all the good powers). The story sort of ends at book 3, and then James Patterson tries to resurrect it with 'The Final Warning'. It was a huge anticlimax-- they'd already faced down and now they come face to face with... I mean, give me a break. The next one's 'Water Wings'. Oh joy. I thought 'The Final Warning' meant it was final.

So read the first three. Some things in it are predictable, but some aren't. But don't even bother reading The Final Warning.

The Gossip Girl series (the TV series was based on it) by Cicely Von Ziegesar. Something like that. The writing's okay, but all it is is shallow people making out and smoking weed. And it's all treated like it's life and death.

The Cherub series by Robert Muchamore was okay at the start but it's gotten so big that it's impossible to keep track of. And the protagonist isn't even likeable anymore. It jumped the shark around about the Divine Madness mark.

I didn't like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe very much. The series got better by 'A Horse and His Boy'.

Wow, I have a lot of gripes :)
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

Oh God, I hate hate hate Gossip Girl.

Did you read the books or watch the show?

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I’ve done neither. I just read the plot synopsis, and dislike people who like the show.

Heh, yeah, I hate Gossip Girls, but feel bad because I’ve never watched/read it. But then I remember that if I ever had, I probably would’ve ended up shooting the TV/gorging my eyes out. ;P

Mm, yeah, Gossip Girl, the Clique, all the same.
    • CommentAuthorAri

For me:

Left Behind: Good story idea, crap writing. I could barely read the first one because the writing was so terrible.
    Maximum Ride: Steph said it all. Loved the first three, hated the rest.
    Gossip Girl/Clique: A waste of paper. The trees are screaming.

Also….man, people are going to hate me for this, but I really dislike the Dragonriders of Pern series. I tried reading several of the books and even own at least one, but I found them horribly boring and not very well written.

•  
      CommentAuthorMlarg

I usually stick to books that are NOT favorably recommended by the LA Times. This strategy has worked surprisingly well.

Also, despite how much I enjoyed the first two books of the Wheel of Time series, it has no where near enough innovation or plot development to put me through another ten.
    Usually, I don't think writing a series of more than 5 or 6 books is a good idea. Unless I really love it, REALLY REALLY love it, I won't bother reading it. So why bother?
    • CommentAuthorAri

Yeah, books that go on forever are a huge turnoff to me. After about seven (lol guess) it seems like they’re just milking the cash cow.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited

A VACUUM. GET IT? A VACUUM ALSO SUCKS.

Wuthering Heights. I like the story, but the language, urgh.

• CommentAuthorAri

But Bella loves Wuthering Heights!

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Bella is also unappreciative of all the irony surrounding her liking R&J, and related books, apparently.

• CommentAuthorAri

I liked Romeo and Juliet. *shrug* Some of the lines were really pretty. I read it for the language, not the story, hehe.

I hate R&J despite the fact that I’ve never read it. Cause doesn’t Romeo fall in love with some girl and he’s about to marry her and then he meets Juliet and ditches her?

And yeah, series that go on forever are ridiculous. Unless they are sort of companion books to each other, like Diana Wynne Jones’ Chrestomanci series. (Yes, okay, it’s a kids’ series, I still love it.)

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

I don’t care if it’s long outlived its freshness, I will always love Artemis Fowl.

I LOVE ARTEMIS FOWL, TOO!!!!

Lol, at the end of The Time Paradox, I found myself rooting for , which, needless to say, is a little weird.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

yeah, ditto. though I felt it was a bit obvious… Artemis/Juliet seems more natural. Not that I write slash…

(I ship Butler/Mulch)

Um, okay, EW. Besides the fact that there’s a difference in height of about twenty metres?

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

yeah, he’s butler, not godzilla. :P

(Julius/Foaly, anyone?)

I just gagged. Literally, I did.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

(Shuttle Gnome/Koboi?)

*shakes head*
    Cudgeon/Koboi. They deserve each other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

that’s so obvious though. cudgeon/julius. because they hate each other so much. :P

I liked the Artemis Fowl books up until The Lost Colony. Then there were retarded time travel plots and Captain Planet-level anvilicious environmental messages.

(Mulch/Artemis)

Yeah, I never got the fascination with pairing unsuited characters *koff* Butler/Mulch *koff* with each other. WIthout humourous intent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Artemis/Spiro

• CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2009

I liked the Artemis Fowl books up until The Lost Colony. Then there were retarded time travel plots and Captain Planet-level anvilicious environmental messages.

I LOVE CAPTAIN PLANET! D:

Which is odd, because your polluting this thread with your inane chatter! >:(

Now then, back to serious topics: I ship (Goblin Prisioner/Mulch). They just had that spark, you know?

:D

Ew. I never thought about half those ships, and I don't think I want to. Arty/Holly all the way! I thought the books got better as they went along... *shrug*
    The Lost Colony was a little weird. I am such a geek, I spent ages trying to figure out how the time stream worked, before I gave up and forgave it because it didn't suck as badly as The Final Warning. Yeah, I am still sore over that. The first four books are the ones I treasure most. I love Pex and Chips!

I was kinda hoping for some Artemis/Minerva after Lost Colony. After all, they're the same age, now, since that time thing. But then Artemis/Holly came along and... Well, lets just say I don't squick when it comes to those two. Which is odd, for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Artemis/Minerva. They’re made for each other.
    And Juliet/the pizza delivery boy she is said to have suplexed in book 1.

Arty/Minerva... I always imagined they'd end up killing each other if they were around each other for an extended period of time...
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

I hate R&J despite the fact that I’ve never read it. Cause doesn’t Romeo fall in love with some girl and he’s about to marry her and then he meets Juliet and ditches her?

R&J isn’t romantic. Shakespeare was writing a cautionary tale about how dangerous and stupid teenage romance is. Bella, of course, didn’t realize this in the least, and didn’t see how it applied to her.

R&J isn’t romantic. Shakespeare was writing a cautionary tale about how dangerous and stupid teenage romance is. Bella, of course, didn’t realize this in the least, and didn’t see how it applied to her.

Yeah, well Bella didn't realize a lot of things. And about Wuthering Heights, do you suppose S Meyer realized what an idiot she was being when she made that allusion in the book? I mean, it's about two people who have absolutely no good qualities except their love. Does that remind you of a certain couple?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It’s unlikely, given Bella’s Sueness, but it’s possible that Smeyer was being deliberately ironic in her literary references.

Possible, but doubtful. ;P
    • CommentAuthorMegaB

Wait what? After Lost Colony, Minerva was three years older than Arty wasn’t she? That was how Foaly explained it at least…

In any case, those are some disgusting pairings right there. Even Arty/Holly is so messed up you can’t put it into words….Colfer said himself that the most likely pairing for Holly would be Trouble Kelp.

Oh and Time Paradox was AWESOME! It was pulled off so convincingly that even with the holes in the theory of relativity and time paradoxes, Colfer only managed a few mistakes. That’s pretty excellent in my mind. Generally the first few books were better though; there was nothing like Artemis clasping his hands and walking through the most diabollically nefarious plan that just works. The latter ones have lost that spark but made up for it in character development I guess.

Still can’t get that quote out of my head though: “I have a friend. He has all the numbers!”

Anyone seen the movie with DiCaprio? It’s the only reason I can stand R&J, poor me had to study it in English Lit for two years…

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

Anyone seen the movie with DiCaprio? It’s the only reason I can stand R&J, poor me had to study it in English Lit for two years…

Haha, yes. Nursey: "JUUUUUULIET!!!" The movie rotates between awful and good so fast, it gets a little un-watchable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Loafers McGuire/Angela…? XD

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Loafers? Ahh the gangster companion of Mulch. Who’s Angela?

From Eragon? Tee hee, that'd be HILARIOUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

sry, *Angeline

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Oh…that’s…disturbing.

Isn’t Angeline Arty’s mum? She’s married and her husband is alive and well. That would be a serious social farce.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Yeah. It wouldn’t be a farce, she’s sick of being trapped in her rich, enclosed lifestyle. She wants to get out in the world and live in a manner that is only achieved by lovemaking with an irate Irish midget.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Artemis/Minerva!! Yes! Finally someone agrees with me! I don’t understand all these weird Arty/Holly shippers… just… EW. NO. NEVER. I mean, there’s a height difference of at least two feet, plus the fact that they’re completely different species! I simply don’t get inter-species relationships, not even like elf/human. I mean, does your dog fall in love with your cat? (well, maybe your dog, but not most) That’s just… shudder Ew!

I think Artemis and Minerva combined would be a bit of a world threat. But since Arty's developed a bit of a conscience...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

they’re species that’re almost exactly alike though. it’s not like dog/cat, it’s like if a newfoundland fell in love with a st. bernard. is that so wrong?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Newfoundlands and St. Bernards are both the same species, though… maybe it’s like a lion and a panther. Similar, but still… weird.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Different species when it comes to like, elves, though… As they’re based on humans, they bear almost entirely human, er, anatomy. And aesthetic appearance is usually exactly the same save for a set of Spock ears.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I’d say the age difference is more a problem than the height difference. Holly is what, 200 ish? That’s like John McCaine dating a four-year old.

Ugh, get the image out of my head!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

HOPE

Yeah, Angeline/Arty = EW. What’s with the concern with height with Holly/Arty? Anyhoo, I still don’t think Arty/Minerva would ever work out; they’d drive each other MAD!

Artemis/Stephanie Edgely.
    Ha! I enjoy Artemis Fowl quite a bit (with the exception of some of the random "save the earth" stuff. We. Get. It.). They were a welcome break from British Literature and SAT prep last year. *cheers* for light reading. Actually, AF is what ended up leading me here. But that's a long story.
    Holly/Artemis is just creepy. And Minerva is annoying. But (to keep the thread on topic): Opal also sucks. Enuff of her. I want a scary villain. Bring back Spiro.
    • CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009

Yeah, thank you Mongoose.

For some reason, the idea of a supervillainess the size of a four year old doesn’t quite cut it for me. The massive monster that Butler fought in Book1, now THAT was a villain!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

That was awesome! I hope they make a movie of it, because I really want to watch that fight!

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Ok, so I don't know how many other people on this site would actually read her books, but I picked up "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult in an airport once because I was bored, and someone had told me it was good. It was actually ok, a pretty emotional and believable story, until the end, when the main character who had overcome her major conflict randomly dies. It was the biggest WTF ever and I was kind of pissed... it just wasn't a very believable ending to a book that otherwise dealt pretty well with real-life emotional issues. Along the same lines, I liked "The Lovely Bones" if only because I respect the author for even trying to tackle that topic, but that also had a WTF ending that was not believable at all, and frankly, pretty weird. Weirder than the rest of the book, anyway. I'm not sure that I have any desire to see the movie...
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

I’ve been hearing a lot about that book. Glad to know I didn’t waste my time?

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Well, if you mean the Lovely Bones, I guess I'd say it's worth reading... oh wait, maybe not, because if you're going to make yourself actually read a novel that deals entirely with rape/murder and its aftermath, you deserve a good ending. So yeah, don't bother.
    Most everything I've read from Michael Crichton. He's a majorly plot driven writer, but sometimes he's not even good at that. I just recently read 'Andromeda Strain' and I was absolutely horrified. Not by his 'edge of the seat' plot. But by how badly done it was. A good writer could have made that into an awesome book. It has a science fiction premise and plot that, with proper characters and writing, could be a steller read. As it is, it just made me mad at how terrible it was. He tells you nearly everything ahead of time, there's no suspense about what's going to happen, and the finale nearly put me to sleep. I didn't really care if the character survived, or if anyone in the book survived. They were just names-on-the-page™. Ugh.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

I enjoyed The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy, then went on to find out every other one of his books is the exact same, with a little word substitution. Formulaic writing is so gross.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

I enjoy any book starring Sean Connery

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I have to agree with Durandalski, I read the Terminal Man a few weeks ago and haaaaaated it. Jurassic Park wasn’t too bad but…ew.

I hate any book that has a message the author decides everyone needs to know, so the whole time it’s “GLOBAL WARMING IS BAD” at the sacrifice of a storyline. It’s okay if you want to project your ideas and you can do it discreetly enough, but when it’s not done right the book becomes an epic fail.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009 edited

• “Maximum Ride”... I liked the first three, but The Final Warning is, IMHO, not part of the series, as the first three were “Maximum Ride: Yadda Yadda Yadda”, but afterwards it was “Yadda Yadda Yadda: A Maximum Ride Adventure.” But even the first three have their faults. JP is the master of plot holes, despite his general aura of epic [insert ‘win’ or ‘fail’ according to your personal preference].

*I loved “The Mysterious Benedict Society”. Growing up, I took a lot of standardized tests, and so I <3 Sticky. Shoot me if you must.

As for my personal pick… I can’t stand “The Claidi Journals”. I read the first three, since I liked Piratica, but not only did I not follow the plot at all, but at the end of one of the books, Are you kidding me?

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

I read Sphere by Crichton about two weeks ago. It wasn’t too bad, but the power he bestows upon everyone (and I do mean everyone) has more loopholes than Paolini’s magic system.

Is that even possible?

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

That’s awfully porous.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

Anything you imagine happens. Do I even need to expand?

I imagine myself as the supreme ruler of the universe, and no one else has this imagination power.

Do I need to say anything else?

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

Hence, the loopholes.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I’ve been hearing a lot about that book. Glad to know I didn’t waste my time?

I say read it. I really enjoyed it, sure, the ending wasn’t as satisfying as I would have liked, but, the ultimate message wasn’t revenge.

Spoilers:

Anything you imagine happens. Do I even need to expand?

As I recall there were 2 things about this.
    1) You didn’t know you had the power. (at least, I think only the main character knew at the end)
    2) It was ANYTHING you imagine. So one would have to really work at the mental discipline less someone mention a naked Rosie O’Donnell and you go blind.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

1)Its true when the first person obtained it no one knew, but in the end anyone could do the process to get, and they all knew they had it.

2) Sometimes, yes, but one of the major twists in the book is that one of the characters is creating something subconsciously.

1)Its true when the first person obtained it no one knew, but in the end anyone could do the process to get, and they all knew they had it.

Right. But then the “I imagine myself as the supreme ruler of the universe, and no one else has this imagination power.” problem gets even thornier. Because what happens if several people all imagine the above at the same time? (maybe each one gets their own universe)

2) Sometimes, yes, but one of the major twists in the book is that one of the characters is creating something subconsciously.

Right so… does a person’s subconscious then limit the power? In other words, some of the crazier things never happen because subconsciously you keep imaging the world as it is. (thank goodness Grant Morrison never got this power)

(Sphere was actually my favorite Critchon book.)

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

Oh, it’s the only of his I’ve read, but I did enjoy it. The only thing that really bugged me was no one thought “I’m safe, above land, and decompressed.”

1)That actually happens in the book. It then turns into a battle of willpower. Which raises another thing that bugs me. A hysterical woman seems more capable than two calm men, one of whom is a psychologist/psychiatrist, the other a mathematician.

2) Tha main character actually controls his subconscious at the end, psychoanalyzing himself to the point where he pretty much has no subconscious, because he acknowledges everything going on.

Man it has been awhile since I read it. Either that or when I saw the movie adaption, my brain was so scared I suppressed the book to save myself.

1)That actually happens in the book. It then turns into a battle of willpower. Which raises another thing that bugs me. A hysterical woman seems more capable than two calm men, one of whom is a psychologist/psychiatrist, the other a mathematician.

Insert obligatory “you’ve ever been around women?” joke.

2) Tha main character actually controls his subconscious at the end, psychoanalyzing himself to the point where he pretty much has no subconscious, because he acknowledges everything going on.

True, though a person like that would (in theory) barely use the power as he is so rational.

Hey, if you have an author that’s done several works, which were you most disappointed by?
    (Crichton – I wasn’t thrilled with Andromeda Strain
    Philip K. Dick – the Unreconstructed M, that was a MESS)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

What is a clam man? Does he go dig up clams and sell them in the market? Why are there two clam men? I am confused. I think I need a diagram.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

I realized when Nate quoted me I spelled “calm” wrong. I’ve gone back and fixed my post.

What were the plotholes in the first 3 books of Maximum Ride? I don’t recall any, but then again, I wasn’t reading to pick them up.

And, Sly and Amelie, I loved My Sister’s Keeper, and I thought the ending was actually okay. Although, I went into that book knowing that , so I guess that changed how I looked at it.

I stopped reading Jodi Picoult after I read another book of hers, The Pact, though. The ending to THAT one sucked, and why did Emily have to die? (this is not a spoiler, they tell you she died on the blurb). Plus, the whole thing with Jodi Picoult is that she’s written so many ‘issues’ books that eventually it just looks like she’s bought a whole herd of cash cows.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

^^ That’s why I’m kind of suspicious of authors as popular as Jodi Picoult.

I mean, I’m sure they’re all well-written, but you just can’t take them seriously.

What were the plotholes in the first 3 books of Maximum Ride? I don’t recall any, but then again, I wasn’t reading to pick them up.

Well, for one thing, there’s the matter of Iggy’s parents. In the first book, his dad is dead but his mom is alive. then, is the second book, both parents turn up to attempt to exploit Iggy’s awesomeness, including his wings. There is The Case of The Mysterious Credit Card, which turns up only the first book and is never seen again. There is, of course, the matter of expiration dates: it’s either brought up and angsted over, or forgotten completely. So far, the only significant character to expire has been Ari. Oh, and whatever happened to Max II?

Wow. See, folks, this is what happens when you don’t pay attention.