Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Just out of curiosity.

Do you write Knights? And if so, what kind?

By Knight I meaned an armoured man on an armoured warhorse*

*Or equivalent.

I wish I did. I totally want to put a knight in my novel now.

They are teh awesome.

I mean, fully armoured, trained in military matters and martial art from the age of seven to when they reach twenty-one years of age, tough, dangerous, hard to kill, experts at every type of war.

What's not to like?

Or you can have Polish Winged Hussars

q. What’s not to like?

Definitely in the romanticised version, nothing. :P

So what kind of knights do you write?

Um, hard ruthless military men.

. . . Yeah.

My story is placed a bit past knighthood. It’s more industrial, so knights aren’t really something that would work. However, now that you mention it, I do like knights. I might try to find a way to fit them in elsewhere.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010

I don’t think I’ve ever written a knight as a character before. I don’t write a lot of medievalish stories, so they’ve just never come up. I’m planning a sort of fantasy parody for NaNo, though, and one of the characters will be a paladin. I’m going to give him shiny armour, a white horse, a princess to rescue—the whole shebang!

That is win. :)

Now that I think about it, my knights aren't technically knights. More like soldiers who have trained. . . well, pretty much from conception to when they turn 21 to be the best.

. . . Basically a Knight sans the nobility and title.

I sort of do…

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010 edited

@ Clib.: so, what you really have are basically Spartans.

I have something like knights in a Tolkien-esque setting I’ve had taking up space on my hard drive for years – an order of elite warriors made up mostly of members of the aristocracy. Unfortunately (maybe) I haven’t done anything with the idea.

Hmmm, yeah actually. They do have a lot in common know that you mention it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHill
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010 edited

Knights. In all forms, they rock. There are some knight-ish guys in one story I've been working on. And since you seem to know a lot about it, Clibanarius, I have a few questions.

My pet horsemen are hunting a group of evil guys in forests and low mountains. What sort of weapons should they have? I gave them swords and bows, but then I wondered if swords were too cliche. Should I use long knives? Should I add some unorthodox pirate pistols? Should those bows be Robin Hood longbows or compact ones? The longbows for longer range targets, right?

And as for attire: I wanted them to be as inconspicuous as it is possible for a company of riders to be. It's best that they have leather armor underneath their tunics, and everything in shades of brown and gray. Although I do love helmets. And they need them.

And here's a problem: I adore spikes. Where on earth can I fit some spikes? Cleated horse shoes, perhaps? And what good on earth would that do? Unless they were magic and enabled both horse and rider to climb sheer rock faces . . .

Do you believe in adding surprising things to your knights/Spartan dudes? Could you tell me more about them?

Just wondering what your thoughts were. A knight ought to be fitted into every story, I think. But maybe I am just over-attached to them. This is the girl who still likes to play with medieval Legos, I suppose.

Do you?
    Swords sound alright, it's only really 'clicheish' if it's a story with an MC who has the magic blade of the ages that he will smite the big-bad with.

Don't let someones Sue character dictate _your_ characters weapons choices, swords are perfectly legitimate weapons and have been in use by cavalrymen long before the first Sue was a gleam in his author's eye.

The rest is hidden because of the length

Define surprising : )

Do I what?

BTW you can always ask me about this stuff in person. : D
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

Knights are pretty awesome. I love learning all about armor and weaponry, but unfortunately, I never write anything that has knights in it.

Maybe I’ll write a story about knights for NaNo this year. I should do something with all the random information about armor/weapons I’ve picked up.

I think that would rock. : )
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

I have a possible idea for a knight in one of my stories.
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

I have a story involving a group of knights. That story, however, has practically nothing to do with armored chivalry or warhorses.