Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDarkRaven
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited

So yeah, although this is not officially announced yet, I’ve heard from a few senior Inheritance Forums staff that Mike is paying them to take the non-cycle tards to some other forum. Basically in the last few years, a lot of the IF staff have turned completely against the cycle. A few of their senior staff used to be members of Anti-Shurtugal for heaven sake. Most of their regulars had little or no interest in the books, such as me.

Anyway, Mike has decided enough is enough. I find it interesting that he’s basically buying his own staff out by offering them money to set up a new place. What do you all think?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

...Really? That’s rather pathetic.

• CommentAuthorDarkRaven
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

On one level it’s pathetic of him to censor the forum. On the other hand, it means that the community will have a place where they can do whatever the hell they want without having him threaten to shut them down. I’m actually quite pleased.

I mean, Mike has banned people that criticised him in the past. Now they won’t have such a trigger happy asshole in charge.

Maybe we’ll get another Anti-Shur’tugal out of this. That’s a void that could use filling.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010 edited

K, I’ll join.

Actually, to add a bit more, I’ll be surprised if it works. If Mike and co. are so uninterested in the books anymore, I don’t see what setting up a new forum is going to do for him. Unless he has a power fetish.

• CommentAuthorDarkRaven
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010

Well Mike is not going to be a part of this new forum, which is the main benefit. It’s more his underlings that aren’t really into it and he’s looking to cut them loose. I’m being careful not to name drop here, but I’m sure you could easily guess who a lot of them are.

Mike is more or less afraid that he won’t get as much funding off CP when the next book comes out because his forums are so anti-cycle. Also, Fox might be unwilling to do the same if a new movie is ever made. He’s looking out for his business really.

IF minus the cycle is actually quite appealing to me. I don’t think there will be as much focus on literature/writing though.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Oh, I see what you’re getting at. For some reason I thought you meant that Mike was getting fed up with the Inheritance fans that ask questions like WHAT COLOUR WOULD YOUR DRAGON BE?

His business… hah. IF will never be mugglenet.

Eh, I don’t see the point in it, really, if the other Admins/Mod want to have their own new board. Inheritance is dying. Not dead yet, but it’s not doing to endure. :/ That was the inherent problem with AS, and why II was able to transcend that.

• CommentAuthorDarkRaven

Yeah, well according to Allison, this one is going to be about art and culture – not just Inheritance stuff, so it’s durable enough.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Oh goody. Art and culture. One to go with the million and two already out there.

Oooh, that was a bit cynical, wasn’t it? Sorry, I’m grumpy because I’m not doing what I should be doing. I don’t mean to be that cynical. And I would go back and change it, but I’m too grumpy and miserable now.

I know! I’ll be constructive!

Er, er… ER. I got nuffink.

Apart from I wish swenson would return.

• CommentAuthorDarkRaven

Indeed, there are a million and one out there, but they are starting off with a loyal userbase which gives them something to kick off with.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

So why do you think he’s paying them off? Mike has effectively claimed the forum, he could just tell them to leave?

• CommentAuthorDarkRaven

That’s what baffles me too. Although I think that by paying them, he’s basically preventing any sort of outraged rebellion. I mean, if he kicked off the entire staff and closed off the sections he didn’t like who knows what would happen… 4chan raids with goatse images?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

If they did, my respect for Mike would go up to be in positive figures.

Outraged rebellion. Good grief. This is why I like II, it’s comparatively neutral in the whole thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I forgot to ask, are you hoping to attract all the ex-staff to your forum? ;D

• CommentAuthorDarkRaven

Haha, I already have attracted a good few. Charles is the head editor on our blog, Loki is global moderator on Hortorian and Inheritance Forums. Kari is an RPG moderator on both. My Vice Admin is also a moderator on IF.

Yep, I’m great at stealing staff when I want to. You’d better watch out! =P

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

XD If you do, can you let me know who they are?

I only ever remember RVL’s a mod…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

swenson is a mod, too. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I knew that.

<<

>>

If you ask me who else is, I’m afraid I will have to hide my ignorance behind some violence. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

._.

Anything but the cane.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Bless your wee heart, Puppet. I don’t hurt children.

I’d come over to your house and stamp on all your toys!

• CommentAuthorDarkRaven

I admit the only moderator I know of was Swenson. There doesn’t seem to be a members list that I can find, so…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

If you go to search, select “Users”, don’t enter anything in the search bar and just press “Search”, it will give you the entire list of II members. For Mods, Admins and Banned go to “Search”, go to “Advanced”, scroll down to “User account search” and select one of the three. Again, if you don’t enter a name it will show all of them under that category. (Mods, Admins, Banned)

List of Mods

• CommentAuthorDarkRaven

Wow, loads of them don’t seem to have been active in days or even months…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, but it doesn’t matter really. There have only been 2 spam attacks, and those were taken care of immediately. And there aren’t any trolls here either, so there really isn’t any need of a large amount of Mods/Admins.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010

Heh, wow. I never even go on IF any more… I used to poke around some of the more, um, sane boards once in a while, but I never really liked the atmosphere. (to clear up any lingering confusion… I have “staff” status on IF because I’m an admin on Shur’tugal Fan Fiction, but I don’t actually have mod powers on IF. I also don’t have access to all of the mod boards… which (un)fortuntely means I haven’t heard a thing about this. <insert traditional rant of SFF staff members here about how little attention is paid to them>)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010 edited

I hang around IF a bit, but mostly I just don’t care. I went there hoping to find a argument other then “He was 15” and “Why don’t you write a book” (which I have, and I’m 13 so you shutup thankyouverymuch). But I was sorely disappointed.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010

Oh, Mike. Oh, sweet, silly, funny Mike... What baffles me about this character is how devoted he remains to the series when, as was pointed out, most of the original "fan base" has moved on and even started criticizing the thing when they grew up a bit. Its kind of sad, really. Like a kid digging a hole on the beach, when the waves keep throwing more and more sand in - you just dont have the heart to tell him anything.
    • CommentAuthorDarkRaven
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010

Ok, so Mike has finally announced this change: link. My response to him was snarky to say the least:

So now the inside drama has been finally unmasked. Having followed this for ages, I’m surprised at you Mike – you lost the PR battle. Now let’s be honest here, you aren’t killing IF – you are just changing it into a forum that all of us regular members will not be interested in. This isn’t necessarily, bad either, but you have failed to take a few things into consideration.

Not all the staff will resign? Are you serious? Have you even talked to them, or asked their opinions on this? Allison, Charles (already gone), Rinion, Stormfire, Lady Goldilocks, Loki, Spinner (resigned months ago – yet to be officially removed), Emily, Riss (already gone), Cie, Malus Rune, Tsukyo, ND, Anya, Pixel (already gone)... Yeah, pretty much everyone is leaving.

You failed at the first hurdle – you haven’t gotten your own team on board. Look at them giving you a great example of respect for an administrator. Your waltzing around like a petty dictator has alienated them so much, that they’ve broken all rules on professionalism. You could fire them, I suppose, but that would just make you look like even more of a dictator.

Whether you fire the rebel staffers or not, you have to go out there and get a new staff team. Trouble is, you are hardly involved in IF – apart from FWR, so you really don’t know who is good and who isn’t. For heaven’s sake man, for someone who has been involved in forums for as long as you have, you’ve really just made a total bags of this one.

If I was going to do something like this, I would:

A – socially interact with my current staff team. B – Get their opinions informally over Instant Messaging. C – Amend my plans accordingly. D – Make a thread in FWR for serious discussion E – ACTUALLY TAKE MY STAFF TEAM’S ADVICE ON BOARD F – MAKE CREDIBLE AMENDMENTS.

All of the above, you failed to do. In fact, most of the administrating and moderating team has been AWOL for ages because of your tomfoolery. I honestly can see WHY you would want to make IF PG and more inheritance related, but your methods suck so much that IF, unless it gets a quick injection of new moderators, will become a hell hole of spamming, trolling and noobery.

I’ve kept silent on this on the public boards so far, because it didn’t seem right as it was not officially announced. Similarly, I didn’t post in FWR because… I’m not IF staff and it would not be appropriate.

So long, Il Duce, and thanks for all the fish.

———————————————-

I didn’t even get a warn. Geez, robbed all the fun out of that one.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010

If you’re going to administrate a forum and make changes to it, you have to know what’s going on. You can be a big part of the community, you can only lurk, you can just keep in touch with your mods… but you have to do something so you know what’s going on before you jump in and change everything. I’m not an IF member, and I never have been (I never liked the community), so I don’t know about all the drama, but… even I know Mike long ago abandoned the forum. If you’re going to have a forum, either be part of it or be willing to listen to those who are part of it. Or at the very least leave it in the hands of people you trust and butt out until you’re ready to be a part of it again.

/two cents