Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

... I think I violated about seven billion different grammar, punctuation, dialect and slang rules in the title of this post alone. And now you all want to kill me.

Edit: Fixed!

Anyway, to use ImpishIdea in a constructively writing-related way (le gasp!), what I am suggesting is that if you’ve got a lot of trouble staying motivated to write, we buddy up. For example, if I’m having trouble with finishing my first draft, and so is Jeremy the Crow, since we’re struggling with similar areas of our writing, why not become writing partners for a bit? We could check on each other every week or so and make sure we’re on target. For example:

Me: hi, Jeremy! How’re you going with that part of chapter twelve where Arabella begins to realise that she’s in love with a basketball?
    Jeremy: Aaark!
    Me: great! how many words?
    Me: Sweet! Hang in there!
    Me: Geez, no need for the sarcasm, I’m just trying to encourage you.

... you get my drift. We could make private threads or email or whatever. I have a feeling it would help, since it’s always nice when people care about what’s going on.

NOTE: this is not necessarily for critique. Impish Writing is taking care of that. This is just so that you have somebody else going through it with you.

What do you guys think?

To be honest, I really like this idea. Back when NaNoWriMo hadn’t started, I saw all of these threads for writing buddies and thought, “Wow, cool idea.” Especially if in real life, you’re a “closeted writer.” Haha.

But we should likely wait and see what everyone else has to say.

Also, I’m not going to kill you this time, but stop the mangling of language.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010

I like this idea, too. It’d be great to have someone giving you a (somewhat) gentle kick in the pants so you write something other than fanfiction.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010

Gentle kick in the pants, cattle prod to the nethers, whatever works.

Okay, sounds cool!

Awesome. So where are you guys having trouble?

Actually writing through my hectic schedule is a biggie. And then getting over the fact that everything I write is crap.

I dunno about a writing buddy, usually a fan is better “push” for me but anything to help me keep going…

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010

I wouldn’t mind having a writing buddy, though right now I feel pretty motivated to work on my novel.

I like this idea muchly--when do we start?

when do we start?

Whenever we like. I wasn’t really planning on doing the match-ups, but I can if you guys want me to.

@SWQ: you sound so like me it’s creepy. Let’s be partners.

@Everyone: see, that’s how you do it :)

@ Steph: Okay! I feel loved. :)

So now that I have a writing partner, what do we do? Do we exchange e-mail information or whatever, or is everything going to happen right in the forums?

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010

Darn it, I wanted to be partners with SWQ!

Wow, didn’t think I would be so in demand.

Darn it! I wanted to be partners with Steph!

Kidding. Honestly, as long as my partner is cool and very demanding, I’ll be fine.

I think we should set up private threads in the forums and maybe check in once or twice a week. Everybody agreeable?