Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010

Let’s talk about it. I know there’s a couple people here who’re writing satires of stock fantasy novels, and there’s the good old Discworld. There’s satires of right-wing thought, the church, every school of politics, military, and in most cases a combination of several make for a better read than one overused and alone. I’ve been working on-and-off for a while on shredding the leftist media and student groups in a side-plot, but that’s beyond the point.

I guess I’m asking why certain types of satire are more acceptable than others. Whatever, answer it if you want or just talk about the nature of satire, I’m going out for a smoke.

goes out for a smoke

I love satire.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited

I dunno about satire, but I love me them satyrs.

• CommentAuthorIsabel
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010

I quite enjoyed reading A Modest Proposal for English class.

I loved reading A Modest Proposal in high school, if only because only me and this girl I sat in front of actually got that it was satire when it was time to discuss it. Everybody else was various degrees of horrified while we both thought it was hilarious. I think it was because she and I are both of Irish descent. She had huge jugs, too. I should’ve hit that. But I’m getting somewhat off-track.

As for why right-wing things tend to get satirized more often, I would say A) they’re traditionally associated with the establishment, and satire tends to be an anti-establishment tool, and B) satire just attracts more leftists for one reason or another. This isn’t universally true, of course, and occasionally you wind up with Libertarian types like the South Park creators firing on anything and everything.

I actually liked Oliver Twist as satire. Jane Austen is not really as ‘hardcore’ as Dickens, but she gets in a few nice, subtle jabs here and there. And as sansa mentioned, South Park is amazing too, when it’s at its best and not trying too hard. Of course, one cannot go far without mentioning the Colbert Report.

As for why satire is mostly from the left…I really can’t think of an original answer to that. I like sansa’s idea of satire against the establishment, because it definitely makes sense. (It also explains why conservative metal bands are a rarity in comparison to liberal metal bands. XD) In recent years, I have seen hippies especially being satirized (South Park immediately springs to mind but I know there are others), as far as targets from the left are concerned.

conservative metal bands are a rarity in comparison to liberal metal bands.

Wait, political metal?

Yeah. It’s definitely out there, but not always so mainstream. Tool and Epica are the ones that come most immediately to mind…Black Sabbath was also political to a certain extent in songs like War Pigs. I don’t listen to Megadeth, but I believe that they also have some political messages. And Rage Against The Machine, obviously, though whether they’re really ‘metal’ in the strictest sense is up to debate. I’m sure there are more, I just can’t think of them right now. Iron Maiden, possibly? They usually deal more with the past than the present, and they comment more on general events than on politics specifically…not so sure about whether that’s really political.

But this thread is about satire, not heavy metal. XD

I love Jane Austen.