Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010 edited

Since I’m sure that others besides me sometimes need a push forward to stop dabbling in plotting, world building, etc, and instead just write, I’m proud to introduce April’s Fools Write-A-Thon.

What is it?

From 12:01 A.M. in your timezone on April 3rd, 2010 to 11:59 P.M. on April 4th, I challenge you to write as much as you possibly can. If you wish to be eligible for the prize, you must confirm your total by posting all of your words on the site, or by e-mailing me.

What do I have to write about?

Anything! Having a competitive spirit helps me to write more words, so I am shamelessly exploiting all of you to push me to write more.

This is a great way to get a head start on Script Frenzy, for those of you that are participating.

While writing so much in a weekend can cause your quality to be less than normal, you are still expected to try to write well if you are going for the prize. Repeating something over and over again, inserting completely random filler just to boost word count, and other dirty methods are not allowed. Use your common sense if you are competing for the prize.

So what are the prizes?

For the top word count, I’ll be giving $10 to the winner. The winner must have paypal to receive the money – if they don’t, I will donate the money to the charity of their choice.

For every 1000 words written this weekend, I will donate 1000 grains of rice through freerice.com.

If there are any questions, please let me know. Details will be added as necessary.

Thanks and good luck!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010

I’m in, but just getting writing done is enough of a prize for me. xP

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010 edited

I think I’ll give this a go. It’ll be good to actually write something, even I don’t get near 10, 000 words.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

My secret to 10,000 words in a weekend is to set an alarm to go off every hour. When it goes off, stop what you’re doing and write a certain number of words [I usually go with 500 or 750. 500 can be done in about 15 minutes, if you are a fast typist and the story is flowing.].

I might participate, depending on my schedule. April 1st-4th is the week before my spring break, so in all likelihood, it’ll be crazy. But I really need to get some words down.

I’ll give it a try, assuming nothing comes up that weekend, just so I can whip y’all. Is it possible to find a way to gauge how much I edit?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’ll have to remember, but this looks fun.

Fun! I’m in, if I can remember. I like the charity idea.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010

I'm in If I remember, too. :D That Day I will Do no school XD. I don't want any money, but I think I like the Charity of Choice Idea. It's sweet :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I’ve just learned that that’s the day my school breaks up, so I’ll have a half day. This gives me a couple of hours extra, so there’s no excuse for not writing.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

Hopefully I’ll have the time to do this! I’ll be rifling through H.P. Lovecraft’s commonplace book for ideas :)

I love this idea--but I might be traveling during this time!!!! NOOOOEEESS!!! But, if it turns out I'm not traveling, I am SO staying home from the dance to do this (I would have to do all my homework on Friday, of course!!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Glad to see there’s a lot of interest in this. :D

If there’s a good number of people who can’t participate on this Saturday/Sunday, maybe I can plan another weekend for doing this too. Quibble amongst yourselves – what would be another weekend that would work for those of you who already have plans?

Glad to see there’s a lot of interest in this. :D

Well, it’s a great idea. I for one am in.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010

This starts in just over 24 hours [or whatever it is, depending on your timezone]

Get ready to be awesome and write.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

SO SOON :D

Seriously though, I need a way to gauge how much I edit.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

You guys are going down. >:D

Good luck to you guys. I would’ve done this, but a 4 hour bus trip and severe drowsiness are stifling me.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010 edited

Uhm, I don’t know what to tell you, sansafro. I guess just do it however you want.

Maybe you could pull out sections you edited, then count them as half of their actual word count? So if you have 400 words of editing previously written stuff, you just count it as 200 words since it’s quite a bit easier to edit rather than write? At least, that’s one way of doing it.

But Virgil’s way sounds much better. Mine is blabbery and incoherent and not very smart.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010

I’m not sure I understand you, but you could have your rough draft and a separate file as edits.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010

STARTS TOMORROW.

but I’m thinking of doing it today instead of tomorrow since I have absolutely no way to Do any tomorrow. D=

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Starts today, depending on your timezone.

I won’t have much time to write either. >:O My schedule today and tomorrow is jam-packed. No sleep, perhaps?

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010 edited

My computer is in the living room, there’s no such thing D: I started writing a few hours ago, and I have almost 2,000 words(slow, distracted typist, I KNOW), since it’s Saturday and all (Although I need to get my ass doing some laundry.) I think I’ll just do it today and pretend I live in a different time zone :D I won’t do anything tomorrow then. If thats okay, that is.
    sad face

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I was getting all psyched up for this, then finally sat down and realised that I have nothing to write >.< Stupid writer’s block.

Wait, it starts tomorrow? Shit. I’m such an idiot. I’ve spent the last 12 hours writing or brainstorming. Ahhhhhh…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

About 2000 words so far, all Purple™ and terrible. But at least I’m getting some writing done.

...It starts tomorrow?

I’m not alone.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

I am pretending I live in another time zone. ‘Ello mates! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

No, it started last evening as soon as Saturday started.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

arksa, if that’s supposed to be Aussie, you’ve got a long way to go. If it’s supposed to be some dialect of British… you’ve got a long way to go.

• CommentAuthorNo One

And here I was thinking why that sounded so weird. Don’t we Aussies say “G’day mates!”?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Usually. I say g’day as a habit, but I also say the oh-so-British “morning!”. Aussies around my neck of the woods also substitute “mates” for “felləs” and “gen’lmən”.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

A measly 2,232 words so far. Kept getting distracted by Nathan Fillion.

• CommentAuthorNo One

LOL he's good, isn't he?

@Taku: How do you make the 'e' upside-down?
    •  
      CommentAuthorarska

Ignore my accent fail.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

So, everybody else’s word count?

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

2, 061

I BLAME WATSON AND HOLMES.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

1,064. I’ve been very out of it lately. Very pathetic. I’m going to go into full-out writing mode very very soon. No internet, just write write write. And that’s how tomorrow will be as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

~400 and ready to give up. Still going to keep trying, though. Must… keep… writing…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I can see everything so clearly in my head. Then I put it on Open Office and everything goes blank. D:

My brother decided to visit this weekend, so I doubt I’ll be competitive.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I haven’t checked my count yet, but quietly chugging along.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010

I was so busy and forgot about this. ;_;

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited

@ No One: Wikipedia. copy-paste. Also, you can access the “Character Map” from the Start Menu, usually in Programs>Accessories>System Tools; that will allow you to select and copy any character in any of the fonts on your computer, and be able to paste it into a text box. And that character is called a “schwa”, and it represents a vague vowel-sound kinda like “ugh”. Basically a placeholder for other vowels when they’re not enunciated properly, as I understand it.

• CommentAuthorNo One

?

Oh, the upside-down ‘e’.

Eh, thanks

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

What I got:

I dunno. .

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

Meh, didn’t turn out so well for me. I ended up with fewer words than I had yesterday. Well, I tried. Sort of.

The closest thing I did to writing on April 1st was going on Toon Zone and making about 50 or 60 posts in the persona of a crazed Warren Ellis.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

What I wrote is the boring beginning to a non-existent story. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

2670 words written. :/

338 of those were a completely different story, so I still have the same wordcount from yesterday. I kept distracting myself and getting distracted. Although, this contest got me back into writing, so thanks to Dia for that. :D
    I’m going to try to write every day, however many words, just write.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Well I was pretty fail-errific too. :D Not even gonna say how many I wrote.

Anyone else get a higher total than Puppet?

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010

No, he beat me by 59 words. D=

2418 words.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010

I don’t think I deserve the prize. All 2670 words are absolutely terrible, simply put, quantity doesn’t mean quality. :P

Anyway, thanks to Dia for arranging this. :D This was exactly what I needed to get me back into writing.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010

Well still, if you have a charity out there that you want me to donate $10 to, I will. You did beat the lot of us. :D