Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010

Today, Mark (of Mark Reads Twilight) finished Breaking Dawn. I’ve been reading most of his entries, as they are sometimes funny and show the series for the ridiculous pile of trash it is. Although he had me at hello (chapter one of Twilight) he lost me at goodbye (the last chapter of Breaking Dawn). For those of you who haven’t read it, I’ll sum it up: He has Bella, Edward, Jacob and Renesmee go to Stephenie Meyer’s house, and uses them as mouthpieces to preach his own pro-gay, anti-God agenda. (And if that wasn’t his agenda, then I must have read the “right to reject a God who oppresses women” line wrong.)

I hate soapboxing, but his rant gave me an idea: As a conservative feminist daughter of a female Pentecostal minister, why not give a Christian perspective on the Twilight saga? I wanted your perspective. First, is it a good idea (if I stay away from soapboxing and simply present it as a different perspective on the series) and two, would anyone read it? I would cover the following:

1. God’s intended purpose for women (as outlined in the Bible)
    2. Twilight’s portrayal of fallen man—alternately glorifying and condemning humanity
    3. Rejection of God on Bella’s part
    4. How the series downplays the importance of the soul
    5. How male/female relationships are supposed to work (disclaimer: it’s different from how it’s usually presented and most definitely different from how Twilight treats it)

So what do you think? Is it a good idea, or should I lock myself in my house and never ever come out?

I really think that you’d be taking the series far too seriously. Besides, it’s Mormon anyway – why would anybody expect it to agree with conservative Christianity?

• CommentAuthorDanielle

‘Course not. But it doesn’t agree with other perspectives, either.

I think people who haven’t studied the bible in depth look at Twilight and think it’s the godliest thing ever. It focuses on being righteous with the “big” things- eternal life, premarital sex, murder, etc. The small things (the things that actually ruin people’s walks with God, IMO) like lying, lusting, over-emphasis on relationships, and just not being focused on the right things, are presented as perfectly okay. That’s what really gets me. But anyway…

I think it’s a good idea. I would certainly read it, though I’m not sure if I’d agree with you on all points. I think you’re a more radical conservative than me. :)

In my opinion it’d be a good idea. I might not be the very least christian (nor an active non-believer), but it’d be interesting to get a different perspective on things. (At least in never hurts ;P)

Go for it.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I really think that you’d be taking the series far too seriously. Besides, it’s Mormon anyway – why would anybody expect it to agree with conservative Christianity?

Um, maybe because Mormonism isn’t basically aligned with all the rest of conservative Christianity on every issue except Jesus. xP

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Um, maybe because Mormonism isn’t basically aligned with all the rest of conservative Christianity on every issue except Jesus. xP

Even that one’s a bit iffy…..

But, yeah, I’m probably more radically conservative than a lot of people, so I naturally don’t expect everyone to agree with me. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

It would be an interesting read if you did decide to write it, that’s for sure. But how in-depth were you planning to go on it? Chapter by chapter like Mark did, or just a single article? If you write it my only advice would to make it sound as little opinionated as possible. You know, so you’re not just representing you, but a large section of Christians as well. Maybe opinionated isn’t the word I’m looking for. Hm.

The only thing that bothered me about Mark Reads is that he yelled at Smeyer for Soapboxing. Then soapboxed. You can have an Anti-God world view if you so choose, sure, He gave us that choice, but soapboxing against soapboxing is almost too ironic for words.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Chapter by chapter like Mark did, or just a single article?

Single article, probably. I might do each book separately, but even then just a single article for each.

If you write it my only advice would to make it sound as little opinionated as possible. You know, so you’re not just representing you, but a large section of Christians as well. Maybe opinionated isn’t the word I’m looking for. Hm.

Umm….I don’t know the word you’re looking for, either, but I know what you mean. Make it sound like I’m simply presenting another perspective on the series, instead of trying to convert everyone. That’s what bugged me so much about the way Mark ended his sporking of the series—he started soapboxing, almost calling people to arms against any ideals that remotely resemble those in Twilight—instead of making it more objective. That’s what I was going to try and do—keep it objective and more academic than opinionated rant.

preach his own pro-gay, anti-god agenda.

What does that have to do with Twilight, honestly? There is no mention of homosexuality anywhere in the text.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited

What does that have to do with Twilight, honestly? There is no mention of homosexuality anywhere in the text.

My impression was that he was upset that Meyer never mentioned homosexuality at all, which he chalked up to discrimination against that group. Which he is a part of, so….yeah.

Then again, I could also tell he really, really hated the series, so I guess it’d be hard not to read unintended negative messages into the text when you hate something that much.

I’m all for gay rights, but random accusations of homophobia don’t get anyone anywhere.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010

blinks

“I haven’t seen one single mention of homosexuals in this entire heterosexual fantasy romance written by and marketed to heterosexuals… Stephanie Meyer is clearly homophobic!”

because inserting random “homo sex is good!” bumper stickers in places where they don’t belong is the only way to not be homophobic.

slaps a bumper sticker over Rob Pattinson’s mouth

Uh about the, “Mormonism is exactly the same as Christianity except for Jesus.”

Mormonism: Fall is good!
    Conservative Christianity: Fall is bad!
    Mormonism: You will be married forever!
    Conservative Christianity: You will be married on this earth only.
    Mormonism: There was a pre-existence where your spirit being decided to follow God, which is why you were born.
    Conservative Christianity: lolwut?
    Mormonism: This temporary body is essential to progression.
    Conservative Christianity: Temporary body has nothing to do with anything like a progression. And what would this progression be anyway?
    Mormonism: Native Americans were Jews!
    Conservative Christianity: Uh. No.
    Mormonism: Leavened Bread and Water for communion!
    Conservative Christianity: Unleavened bread and wine/grape juice for communion.
    Mormonism: We are part of the Melchizedek priesthood!
    Conservative Christianity: This has nothing to do with anything…

If you want a moar detailed list, I can offer it to you. This isn’t Mormon bashing, but the differences are far greater than one initially imagines.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

If you want a moar detailed list, I can offer it to you. This isn’t Mormon bashing, but the differences are far greater than one initially imagines.

....Can I hug you, Rikki?

Awesome. hugs :D I live in an area highly populated by Mormons, so I know my shiz

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Conservative Christianity: lolwut?

XDD

I want a moar detailed list. Please?

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited

Text

I want a moar detailed list. Please?

Mormonism: The Bible is the divinely-inspired Word of God – except when the Book of Mormon contradicts it, which is the case for practically the entire book.
    Conservative Christianity: The Bible is the divinely-inspired Word of God, and we couldn’t care less that some guy in the 1800s wrote something else.
    Mormonism: If you’re a good Mormon, you become a god after you die and get to create new universes – unless you’re a girl, in which case you spend your life in the hereafter giving birth to spirit-babies.
    Conservative Chrisitanity: In Heaven, you live eternally in the glorious presence of the almighty God, and there are no other gods to speak of.
    Mormonism: White Jews sailed to the Americas thousands of years ago and colonized them, and then (this world’s) God cursed some of them with black skin.
    Conservative Christianity: o_O
    Mormonism: Polygamy is the only way to have a fulfilling relationship, and there can be only one man.
    Conservative Christianity: Polygamy? What’s that?
    Mormonism: The Book of Mormon is a new revelation that supersedes the Bible, and was directly translated from golden tablets by the angel Moroni.
    Conservative Christianity: The Book of Mormon plagiarizes the wording and structure of the King James Version of the Bible, contains numerous grammatical errors, and reads like a parody. Also, somebody made fake golden tablets with meaningless scribbles on them, and they were able to pass them off as the real deal to the Mormon Church’s leaders.
    Mormonism: The Book of Mormon is a necessary revelation because the Bible has been massively corrupted over the centuries.
    Conservative Christianity: The books of the Bible have thousands of copies that have survived for millennia with only the barest hint of textual corruption, amounting entirely to slightly different wordings, minor grammatical inconsistencies, and occasional omissions.

Etc.

Oh gosh….okay. Uhm.

Mormons: The Native American Jews who DIDN’T accept Jesus when he appeared in America had their skins darkened so they are now the Native Americans we know today
    Christianity: Dot. Dot. Dot.
    Mormons: We can decide whether Joseph Smith Jr. (who “fixed” the Bible) meant Caffeine when he said No Coffee Or Tea, or whether he meant No Coffee Or Tea or what?
    Christianity: sips Cappuccino
    Mormonism: The only reason we HAD polygamy was to take care of the widowed women.
    Christianity: Orly nao.
    Mormonism: Jesus will set up the Millennial kingdom from Independence, Missouri.
    Christianity: The Bible makes no real mention of America. WAT NAO?
    Mormonism: You will become gods to save your own individual worlds (not many know this, but it is the end of their theology if you follow the logic)
    Christianity: Hell no.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Here’s what I know about a few differences:

1. The heavenly war. Mormons believe that before the dawn of time, there was an all-out war between God and Satan. While Christians believe the same thing, Mormons believe that the soul of every person who would ever exist fought in that war as well. Those who sided with God were born with white skin, while those who sided with Satan or were neutral were born with black skin. Around the same time as the Civil Rights Movement, the prophet (not competely sure how their infrastructure works, but they choose a new prophet every decade or so, I think) had a “revelation from God” that told him to change the rules regarding African Americans; up until that point, blacks weren’t allowed to convert to Mormonism.

2. The Bible. In Revelation, a verse basically forbids anyone from adding to or taking away from “this book.” Christians say this means you can’t add or take away from the Bible. Mormons say this only applies to the book of Revelation, so you can pretty much change whatever you want about the Bible.

3. Communion. I don’t know why Mormons say “leavened bread and water,” but Christians use unleavened bread and wine/grape juice because it’s what Jesus ate at Passover when he instigated Communion. It’s also a sort of throwback to Christianity’s roots in Judaism; at Passover, Jews sacrificed a lamb and ate unleavened bread and wine to commemorate their flight from Egypt. Since Jesus was the ultimate Passover lamb, the unleavened bread and wine are used in memory of him and his sacrifice.

Aaaaannnnd I shall let Rikki cover the rest, since his list was probably funnier than mine. :)

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Mormons: We can decide whether Joseph Smith Jr. (who “fixed” the Bible) meant Caffeine when he said No Coffee Or Tea, or whether he meant No Coffee Or Tea or what?

sips latte Poor Mormons….

Aaaaannnnd I shall let Rikki cover the rest, since his list was probably funnier than mine. :)

Not getting involved in the thread, but RTT is a girl.

Yeah, there’s actually quite a controversy over whether energy drinks are okay according to Mormonism. And some of my friends are A ok with drinking Guarana drinks even though they are technically more brain stimulating than caffeine.

Also: I’mma gurl

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Not getting involved in the thread, but RTT is a girl.

Grrr…..Do you know how hard it is to determine a person’s gender through TEXT? IT’S NOT EASY! :P

Just a note: this isn’t to dis Mormons (at least on my part), I’m just pointing out the differences.

Grrr…..Do you know how hard it is to determine a person’s gender through TEXT? IT’S NOT EASY! :P

You are on II. Look at the size of the Man Thread versus the size of the Woman Thread(even though that thread is a knockoff and I don’t read it).

• CommentAuthorDanielle

You are on II.

Granted, there are usually more girls on online forums than there are guys….but anyways.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited

Rikki, if you could kindly add yourself to the bottom of the list, and forward the link and $1 to each of the first 10 people. :P

ON TOPIC.

lol. Danielle, I like the idea.