Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010

_Ya'll know me.......know how I earn a livin'...._

*ahem* Many of you probably know me, but just to be on the safe side, allow me to explain: I'm not, in any way, shape, or form, trying to transplant members from this site. I kinda-sorta watched this site develop from Sly's brainchild to the full-fledged niche o' the internet it is now.

I have dual citizenship. One is here, the other is on a forum called Deus Ex Machina. It's small, not very busy. Myself and a few others (some from this very forum) are involved in a text-based RPG called 'The Sandbox'. It's a light fantasy game set in the Sahara, in an alternate timeline during the Third Crusade. We're currently bouncing between four and six active members in this RPG, but believe me when I tell you it can hold a great deal more.

"Discussion for The Sandbox":http://s15.zetaboards.com/carrotstick/topic/6769341/1/

If anyone's interested in joining up in an RP - whether to sharpen your writing skills, flex some story/character arc muscles, or to just unwind and have some fun - feel free to drop by at the discussion thread for the RP (link provided above). All the important information is in that long wall of text that is the opening post.

-May your swords stay sharp.-
    Hope to see you there.

Heh, ImpishIdea is something like Deus Ex Machina’s progeny. There’s also a bit of DogEared and Uru’Baen.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

This all sounds strangely familiar.

...oh yeah!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

And, er, if you’d like to bail a few of us out of a sticky situation… >>

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I really have no idea what all’s going on with Rocky’s party. I feel like he ought to already be kicking our asses in that cave. Or something.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010

Hmm...

I suppose I could convince Tubruq to start dishing out some pain. Or something.

*wicked grin*
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

As if he hasn’t already.

• CommentAuthorRocky

If you let the past judge the future, you're going to be sorely dismayed.

Emphasis on _sorely_.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I have a niggling feeling I’m gonna die in that cave.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Tsk, you shouldn’t think such thoughts. Especially since you’re the only one who doesn’t have an arrow sticking out of you somewhere.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

What exactly is this RPG about?
    These allusions to cavey goings-on intrigue me.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah true. I should just run for it.

Its an alternate history of the Sahara Moldorm, with supernatural stuff, technology (winged flight, artillery) and upcoming political intrigue.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited

The RP really starts off with a fictional empire that spans the Atlas Mountains - The Kingdom of Atlas. Its ruler, King Meknes, is attempting to expand the borders of his dominion after its six hundred year history. Before colonization can begin, he needs maps, surveys, and reports, so he's dispatched dozens of highly-trained exploration teams into the desert. These teams are met with a savage hostility by the native tribes: the sand-swimming headhunters of the Adrar dunes, the high-flying raiders of the Ahaggar Mountains, and the mystical nomads of the eerie Acacus Tadrart.

The core of the RPG involves the coming war between these four factions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

highly-trained

I doubt that. :D

• CommentAuthorRocky

From the king's piddly perspective, that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Those are treasonous comments, I’d hate for you to have an.. accident.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Since when is Kaells loyal to the Invader King?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Psh, we don’t know who he’s loyal to.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010

He's a slippery one, he is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010 edited

Psh, we don’t know who he’s loyal to.

Sounds so stereotypically like you, Virgil. xD

• CommentAuthorRocky

Well, we all tend to put a bit of ourselves into these characters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No one died in our battle. :(

• CommentAuthorRocky

I just might have something more horrible in mind for Kaells, if you're so bent on him dying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Well I made him a bit more special, so yeah that should be interesting. And I’m not bent on him dying, but you know, realism and such. :D

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010

I think I'm going to have too much fun with this new guy.

Plus, I get to build some tension writing muscle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010

Psh, he’s gonna die soon.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010

Had an idea for a new RP circulating, but I'm not sure if we have the crowd power to justify pitching a new one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

What is it, Rocky? I might join a RPG sometime. They often do motivate me to work more on my own stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

What is the idea?

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I’d like to join an RPG, or even start my own, but I’ve never played message board RPGs before.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010 edited

You guys are welcome to pitch your own ideas there, though we have a small crowd, so it might be slow to catch on. Just a fair warning.

The idea is thus: players would assume the role of an agent under the employ of a security force for a fictional island nation. This would take place in the not-too-distant future. The team's primary purpose is to protect one of the nation's most valuable assets: their network of satellites. These are employed for various purposes - from security to communications and possibly some illicit business - and can vary from low orbit, polar orbit, geostationary orbit, etc.

The reason for the team's existence regards "certain animosities" for this island nation's being (it's a relatively new nation). There are dissenting factions - some political, some independent, some guerilla-based - who believe the nation shouldn't be allowed to survive (haven't decided why). The team watches over and protects this network, which is absolutely vital to this nation. In my mind, I can see this covering all sorts of ground: trekking through any of the seven continents to retrieve a downed satellite while racing against these hostile forces, possibly infiltrating enemy facilities to recover stolen sats (a la "Cliffhanger" in _Modern Warfare 2_), working from their control towers to reposition or replace the sats, shooting down hostile missiles, and even launching into space to ward off invading forces in the high atmosphere or zero gravity.

*IMPORTANT*: we've also been having issues with a persistent spammer on DEM, so administration approval is required for all new members. If you create an account over there, post your user name here and I'll have it approved. I apologize for the complexity, but we're working with a limited staff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

That scenario sounds promising. Because I would totally be in space. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I’m Imhotep over there.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010 edited

You're good to go, Brandon.

"Discussion for the RP Idea":http://s15.zetaboards.com/carrotstick/topic/6784879/1/#new
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010 edited

I've expanded the roles for this new RP: Executive Office, International Relations, Asset Retrieval, Resource Support, Technical Support, and Space Division. Head over their for more info on those.

Despite all that, however, we're reaching a pivotal stage in the early part of The Sandbox. Namely, open war is about to start, so the possibilities for additional players and characters is going to shoot wide open. If anyone interested in jumping into the bloody Sahara c. 1189, go for it.

Since most people who would be interested are probably in this thread…

Would anyone be interested in playing an RPG here? The idea I had was for a game set mostly in the United States (at least at first), in 1978. It would begin with an FBI investigation into a theft of a certain valuable historic artifact, and lead into a sinister plot involving occult rituals. Does that sound interesting to anyone?