Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010 edited

This is for us to collect a single Reading List of all the books we want to get nthrough this year. I know we have the Book Thread, but that’s more about books we’ve already read: This is for books we want to read (or re-read) this year.

I’ll start the list off with my own Top10 for what I want to fidn and read this year, and you guys add to it with your own! Hopefully, it’ll end up with us having one big reading list that everyone has gone throuhg by the end of the year.

If this thread is deemed pointless because of the Book Thread, feel free to delete it. I’m just interested to know what we as a group are holding out to find copies of.

My own list is as follows:

• the Rubaiyat
    • the Kalevala
    • Beowulf (Tolkien translation, not that Heaney rubbish)
    • the Poetic Edda
    • the Mabinogi (I have read this before, but too quickly.)
    • the Tain Bo Cualnge (I have read this one as well, but a long time ago. I would like to find it to read it again)
    • Gilgamesh
    • the Ramayana
    • the Mahabharata
    • Journey to the West

Alas, it is with great shame that I admit, I’ve only read two from that list. In my defence, there has never been a reading list quite so… epic… as this one, da?

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010

Making Shapely Fiction, The Ruby Way, Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs for the moment.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Just by going off what I have on my desk… (in order)

Dune
    Neuromancer
    Starship Troopers
    Revelation Space
    Foundation and Empire
    Rendezvous with Rama
    Foundation’s Edge
    The Gods Themselves
    Ender’s Shadow
    Second Foundation
    Caves of Steel

>>

• CommentAuthorRocky

I'm going against the grain and picking up/downloading some screenplays. I have _Lawrence of Arabia_, _Raiders of the Lost Ark_, _The Dark Knight_, _Memento_, and _Avatar_. Hoping to get my hands on _Inception_, _The Wolf Man_, and _The Hunt for Red October_ somehow. Not exactly high-caliber literature, but still....
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Inception looks very awesome.

A Feast for Crows, Tememeraire, What the Dog Saw and Emma are a few of the books I want to read this year.

The King Raven Trilogy, The First Law Trilogy, and Latro in the Mist so far.

I hate reading lists because they make it feel more like a task rather than fun, but I plan on reading Nabokov’s Lolita sometime this year, as well as re-reading Les Mis. I’d also love to make it through the Ender Series again, but we’ll see how that goes.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Lolita is fantastic.

It sounds slightly squicky, though. Thing is getting it into the house without my parents figuring out what it is…

LES MIS!
    8D

LES MIS!
    8D

Otherwise known as:

The Best Book Ever Written Ever, so there.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

It sounds slightly squicky, though. Thing is getting it into the house without my parents figuring out what it is…

Say it’s a contemporary study of internet subcultures.

That is to say, it is LOLita.

Basically all the books I brought from India. Right now, Crime and Punishment is tops out of those.

@ Taku: Props on your intentions to read the Mahabharata! I haven’t actually read it, but I know all the stories from my childhood, and I want to actually read the Bhagavad Gita someday. The characters are very intriguing and complex, which is kind of unusual considering it’s such an old epic, and the plot is just, well, epic. I used to like the Ramayana more when I was younger, but now (the story, at least) seems a bit simplistic in comparison to the Mahabharata. I’d be interested to see what you make of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

I plan on rocking the Deptford Trilogy, as much Rushdie as I can locate, Ayn Rand for purely essay-scholarship-free university goodness, and a lot of autobiography. <3

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. _Inception_ looks very awesome.

It does, but I have to remember not to look at that script until _after_ I see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

It does, but I have to remember not to look at that script until after I see it.

Why?

• CommentAuthorRocky

I don't want it spoiled. At all.

Edit: I just recognized my incoherency. I meant I don't want to see the script before I see the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ah, well yeah thats a given.

- The Hitchiker’s Guide books – Count of Monte Cristo – Gormenghast trilogy – The first Naomi Novik book – Persuasion by Jane Austen – All the Bronte books – Knife by RJ Anderson – All the Guardians of Ga’Hoole books by Katherine Lasky

probably some more I can’t think of.

Yiddish Policemen’s Union, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and the rest of the Fables TPBs. Otherwise, I don’t really much of a plan on books I’ll read.

Right now, Crime and Punishment is tops out of those

oooob. Good book!

Say it’s a contemporary study of internet subcultures.

That is to say, it is LOLita.

gigglesnort I actually laughed out loud at this.

-The Lord of the Rings (Seriously. I’ve been trying to read these since the first movie came out, and I’ve never managed to get past the first book in the first book. :/)
    -Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, American Gods, etc; the Neil Gaiman stuff.
    -Dianna Wynne Jones stuff.
    -Pride and Prejudice (My second time through, to prepare me for)
    -Pride and Prejudice AND ZOMBIES!
    -The Bible (I’m about halfway through already.)
    -Artemis Fowl
    -Bartimaeus Trilogy (My second time through.)

For now.

-The Lord of the Rings (Seriously. I’ve been trying to read these since the first movie came out, and I’ve never managed to get past the first book in the first book. :/)

BLASPHEMY!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010

Yeah, but the first half of Fellowship is like an endurance test. It’s long and boirng. Not to mention, Tom Bombadil.

Ho! Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadil-lo!
    Bright red is his hat, and his boots are yellow!

Yeah, I’m one of the blasphemous few who know EVERYTHING that happens in the books (listened to about 80% of them on book on tape, heard the rest from a fuming sister) plus uncanny Silmarillion knowledge, without actually having read the books myself. shame shame….pile of shame

On the plus side, I was able to fool my friend (webmaster for Arwen-Undomiel if any of you happened upon the site) for…..a good three years before I told her. She’s like, “wait, what?”

tl;dr version: I MUST READZ THEM

webmaster for Arwen-Undomiel

Oh, I used to go to that site all the time! I didn’t really form much of a community there, though, so I don’t really see as much a point of going.

@ Apep--Honestly, the pacing is not all that bad...although I remember thinking the same thing as a nine year old midget, trying to knit on my back as my dad read them to me. But I reread the books after my epic LotR marathon with my family, and the first book went by pretty fast--the adventure is good, and the descriptions are excellent at creating a certain atmosphere--the description of the Barrow-Downs made me glad that I was in my nice comfy bed. :)

But of course, that is just my opinion
    DOUBLE POST!!! HAHAHAHA!
    Here is my 2010 book list:
    1) Chalice by Robin McKinley
    2) Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma (admittedly, this is so I have a HUGE arsenal of books for the AP exam--and plus I MISS JANE AUSTEN!!! I wrote about her in a French composition about a person that I admired. Mock me if you dare.)
    3) Shirley by Charlotte Bronte
    4) In the Country of Men by Hisham Matar
    5) The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
    6) For Whom the Bell Tolls (I take it with me EVERYWHERE, and NEVER start it, it's pathetic!)
    7) The Three Musketeers
    8) Les Miserables
    9) The Phantom of the Opera

I'd love to say that I've already finished half of them, but the most exciting book I've been reading for the past six weeks is Communist Russia Under Lenin and Stalin. Really gets the heart racing, that one. (I'm being sarcastic.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

7) The Three Musketeers

Ah yes. One of my favorite books, if not my favorite. 8D

I really liked Count of Monte Cristo, but Musketeers seems SO LONG. I just don't have that sort of time right now!

Oh, and I forgot to add Hunchback of Notre Dame!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’m the exact opposite, I liked Musketeers but Count* seemed so long. xP

*Although I was reading the unabridged version.

1) Chalice by Robin McKinley

Hurry up with that one; I want to read it when you’re finished! D:<
    I loved The Count of Monte Cristo... It was, admittedly, rather long.

@ Puppet--Actually, I will confess that I could not get through it the second time I tried it--whether because I didn't have the time, or because the beginning was too slow, I don't really remember.

@RVL: WAIT YOUR TURN! IT WAS MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT!

YOU KNOW WHAT, YOU GOT TO READ BRISINGR FIRST, AND... YEAH! sticks tongue out in a very juvenile fashion

It sucked anyways, so what are you complaining about?

But, but… You made me read Breaking Dawn first… And… Let’s take this to our respective walls and stop de-railing this thread. :D

I think I have the 3 Musketeers somewhere…I should read it sometime.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010

I have a very faint general ideas of what I want to read for the year. Usually I go with the flow. But I do want to make some time to read Pride and Prejudice. The movie was good, why not the book?

Next on my list, once I finish One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich I’ll probably read a book called Ibiza Virgin, which was pretty much forced onto me. I don’t quite know what to expect of it…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Next on my list, once I finish One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Fsnaklsdkenasbdglklehhhhhh!

<3

@ No One: Pride and Prejudice is more than good. The characters are very real, the dialouge is laugh-out-loud funny--read it!

@Jeni: Well, I don’t quite know how I should interpret that, but….

Somehow, most of my favorite authors are russian. I’m wondering why, perhaps it’s that there’s so many stories of oppression and social criticism waiting to be told. Even from before the communism era, with works such as Dead Souls.... So there’ll probably be plenty of russian authors on my reading list this years. I’m really looking forward to reading Metro 2033 once it comes out in English where I live….

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

This is a good interpretation. ;)

Yup, but I actually had my eyes on it before you wrote that article ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Heh. But what I meant was: I love that book so much.

Mhm… must say I’m growing a similar attachment to it as I read….

But I can give you credit for The Road, though. I found that little jewel all thanks to you…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

XD Sorry, I wasn’t trying to “take credit” or anything. I was just terribly excited.

No, no. That’s not what I meant at all! ;P I can see you’re excited, since it’s such a great book. It’s always fun when others appreciate the same literature as yourself.

@ No One: Which version of the P+P movie did you see? Personally, I prefer the 5 hour version.

I need to read The Road.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I thought everyone here hated Cormac McCarthy?

Hey, I’ve never read him, so I don’t know. Someone posted a ridiculous excerpt about a horse and diarrhea if I remember rightly, but my sister raved about The Road. Usually, she knows my interests really well, so I thought I’d give it a try.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

:D I don’t know either! whoop!

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010

@Snow White Queen: I don’t know. I only saw what, the last quarter of P+P. That’s when I first became interested. The last quarter probably lasted half an hour…

I don’t knoooooowwww!!!

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

We just watched Moulin Rouge!, and now we’re watching Pride and Prejudice this evening. Yes, 2005 version. Keira Knightley is adorable, and plays a good Lizzie Bennett. The meadow scene is a bit mushy, but other than that I <3 this version.

I liked Keira Knightley as Elizabeth, but I didn’t like Darcy in that version.

But now I feel like watching P+P, and I cannot. :(

Darcy is good, except for when the poor man has to go all mushy. He’s positively adorable when he’s being all silent and grumpy. But then, I’ve always preferred Mr. Knightley. Oh, Mr. Knightley… Jeremy Northam is positively perfect. We’re watching Emma now. Siiiiigh

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd

I find that male characters get boring when they get depressed and angsty in novels.

@WiseWillow – I have to go ahead and betray the mantastic Mr. Darcy and second your opinion – Mr. Knightley is… well. You cannot hear it, but I am giggling like a little girl right now X)

By the way, which Emma are you watching? The Gwyneth Paltrow movie or the new BBC miniseries?

As for my reading list, I want to finish the Gormenghast series by Mervy Peake, which is simply FANTASTIC, and other than that I have these books currently sitting on my shelf:

- Ladies from Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke which I am told is pretty great

- Tales from the Earthsea by the amazing Ursula LeGuin

- Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovksy

• CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited

I was watching the Gwyneth Paltrow version. Emma herself is annoying, if completely understandable and slightly adorable. I love, love, love Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightley. I’m still grinning like a fangirl to myself over the “try not to shoot my dogs” line. Siiiiiigh

This makes my day.

No, indeed we are not. Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I had a dream recently with Mr. Knightley. There were five of him. Siiiiiigh

Back on topic, I’d like to read some classic-ish literature this year, along with some good modern stuff. Nothing too out there, no sci-fi please. Any recommendations?

I don’t know if you’ve read it, but The Picture of Dorian Gray is good, if a bit flowery in places.

@WiseWillow –

I had a dream recently with Mr. Knightley. There were five of him. Siiiiiigh

O_O

drools

can I haz one Mr. Knightley?

The English Patient is pretty damn fantastic. It may get a bit slow in some places, but totally worth it

• CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010

Oh, I should read Picture of Dorian Grey. I believe I’ve heard of The English Patient as well.

Oh, and falconempress, feel free to take either of the two free Mr. Knightleys (I have dibs on the tallest, and Emma gets one, as does her sister).

•  
      CommentAuthorSilivren
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010

Paradise Salvage, John Fusco
    Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, Dee Brown
    Human Sacrifice, James Moore
    The Things They Carried, Tim O'Brien
    Girl Interrupted, Susanna Kaysen
    Wise Guys, Nicholas Pilleggi

I liked Keira Knightley as Elizabeth, but I didn’t like Darcy in that version.

I honestly didn’t like either of them in that version. ^^

Oh, I should read Picture of Dorian Grey

Willow, YES, YES YOU SHOULD. I liked it lots. :D

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010

Here's a list of the books I have, from the library that I haven't read yet. (the ones I have read before do not count) I guess this is the closest thing to a reading list:
    Dracula
    The Arkadians
    Poppy's Return
    The Wee Free Men
    The Furthest Shore
    Five Children and It
    The Borrowers Afield.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010

2010 is almost at its end. You better hurry up. ;)