Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010

It’s not an especially long one—-in fact, it’s only 818 words long. It’s about a Germanic guy in ancient times who fights as a gladiator in the Roman arena. I’m thinking about getting it published, but I don’t know what magazines would be good places to publish it in. Any suggestions?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010 edited

Have you had it critiqued?

I’m not saying that you should post it here, but if you want to publish it you need to get other people’s opinions on it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Have you had it critiqued?

I have shown it to my parents, who did recommend a few minor edits. Nothing more severe than that, I’m afraid.

Unfortunately it appears that you cannot publish something in a book or magazine if you’ve already posted it on the Internet (explained here), so I can’t post it on here for you guys to tear apart.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ehh, no offense, but parents have a tendency to go easy on their children. You might want to show it several other people IRL before trying to publish it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Ehh, no offense, but parents have a tendency to go easy on their children. You might want to show it several other people IRL before trying to publish it.

I know that, but I don’t know a lot of people IRL who’s qualified to judge writing. The only person I do know who could critique writing is my former English professor, and I don’t think she does creative writing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

qualified to judge writing.

Qualified to judge writing? The people who are going to be reading your story are going to be everyday people you see on the street, to quote Kitty:

Do you need to be a chef to know when food is gross?

Do you need to be an artist to know that this is a terrifying painting?

Do you need to be a scriptwriter to know when a line in a movie is cheesy?

Do you need to be a tailor to know when your jeans are shoddily-made?

Do you need to write bestselling novels to know when a book is bad?

This is my opinion, this is my advice. Take it or leave it.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010 edited

I suggest you go to the library and check out their magazines, and see if any of them are publishing stories similar to yours. Look up the address of their editor (you can probably find it in the magazine somewhere) and send them a copy of your manuscript in proper manuscript format . In adition, you want to send them a short cover letter. It only needs to give the wordcount, the title of your story, and perhaps an overview of your writing credentials (where else you’ve published, workshops you’ve attended, etc… anything that will make you appear more credible). Here’s an example of one of mine:

I hope that helps you.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

Duotrope’s Digest is a great site I use to find publishers for my own writing. They have an extensive and updated database that you can search through and sort based on story length, genre, and intended audience. The site also provides information on whether or not a publisher pays, roughly how much, and the odds of acceptance. They also keep tabs on the reliability and legitimacy of publishers. Basically, it’s a wonderful one-stop site for all your short story publishing needs.

Unfortunately it appears that you cannot publish something in a book or magazine if you’ve already posted it on the Internet

Er, what? So if I post something online I can never publish it? A lot of my writing is online.

As someone who has submitted to several magazines before, I’d advise get a folder and start saving up your rejection letters.

I mean keep trying, but be prepared to get turned down a lot.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Er, what? So if I post something online I can never publish it? A lot of my writing is online.

Not necessarily. Depending on the publisher and where you posted the work originally, you may still be accepted for publication, and all you may have to do is remove it from the internet. You do have to be careful where you post your writing, though; some sites (like LiveJournal) automatically gain rights to whatever you post on their site. If you do post your writing on the internet, make sure you post it in places that guarantee that you are the sole and/or primary holder of the copyright and that you have the right and ability to alter and even fully remove your work from that site.

ImpishIdea, I’m sure, fulfills all the criteria, so every piece of writing you post on this site remains your intellectual property. You should have no problems publishing pieces you post up for review here if you delete them; again, though, this depends upon the publisher. Some publishers can be very picky and strict about previous publications.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Yeah, heh, I wouldn’t want to be holding rights to lots of people’s stuff just because they are writing here.

I’ll grant that the footer on the main site is a little misleading. “Copyright 2008-2010 ImpishIdea and <Author>” can be ambiguous. The correct interpretation is:

1. The site design, layout, and navigation are copyright II.
    2. The article content is copyrighted to whoever wrote it, of course.