Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/magazine/24patterson-t.html?pagewanted=1&hpw

I haven’t read any of his books, but I know a lot of people here have.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010 edited

For a moment I thought it was going to be about RPattz’s father taking about what a bunch of crap Twilight is.

That would have been cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010

That article was almost as badly written as one of Patterson’s books. It seems to me that the man is far better a marketer and salesman than he is a writer.

Gah, the Max Ride series…I’ve heard that they went downhill after about the third one…

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010

I’ve never heard of him. To the Wikipedia!

Did you notice that Patterson and SMeyer have the same publisher?

Which tells you one thing. Little, Brown & Co. have a nose for rubbish and moneymakers combined.

EDIT: Also, this:

Patterson’s chapters are very short, which creates a lot of half-blank pages; his books are, in a very literal sense, page-turners. He avoids description, back story and scene setting whenever possible, preferring to hurl readers into the action and establish his characters with a minimum of telegraphic details.

And then there’s some stuff about how Patterson’s co-authors are like his ‘orchestra’: they help him hear how his music sounds. (ABSOLUTE RUBBISH! The composer still writes his own music, doesn’t he? The closest thing in the book world would be a person who reads aloud.)

The way it usually works, Patterson will write a detailed outline — sometimes as long as 50 pages, triple-spaced — and one of his co-authors will draft the chapters for him to read, revise and, when necessary, rewrite. When he’s first starting to work with a new collaborator, a book will typically require numerous drafts. Over time, the process invariably becomes more efficient. Patterson pays his co-authors out of his own pocket. On the adult side, his collaborators work directly and exclusively with Patterson. On the Y.A. side, they sometimes work with Patterson’s young-adult editor, who decides when pages are ready to be passed along to Patterson.

So, they’re trying to pass him off as though he writes his own stuff in one paragraph, then blatantly admit that he doesn’t in the next paragraph. Clever. Ish.

James Patterson makes me sick.

I asked Ledwidge [full-time co-author for James Patterson] if he missed writing his own books. “Honestly? ” he asked. “Not at all. This is much more fun.”

Can you guys imagine that!? Giving up your own ideas to write for somebody else?

I think I need to stop before I explode.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010

Giving up your own ideas to write for somebody else?

If you’re writing in an established series, it’s basically writing fanfiction, but with a guarantee of being published at the end.

Well, I’d do it for the money if I was in a tight spot or something. But this Ledwidge guy no longer thnks of his hown stuff! I wouldn’t completely stop writing my own books. That would kill me.

Honestly, I think there are two classes of published writers: those who do it for the money, and those who do it for the love of writing.

Can’t you do it for the love of writing for money?

Lol. My point is, you’ve got people who are interested in the commercial aspect (or fame aspect), so they think, “Oh, I’ll write a book.” So they check out the market, see what’s commercially viable, take some time to craft it according to the public, and write a book. Those who love to tell stories just do it anyway, whether or not they get published. Money is great, but ultimately, it will always be second to the writing.

I’m not mocking the first mindset, by the way. I don’t despise it. I just hate James Patterson.