Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=332264011

Amazon.com, along with Penguin Group (USA) and CreateSpace, is pleased to announce the third annual Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, the international competition seeking the next popular novel. For the first time, the competition will award two grand prizes: one for General Fiction and one for Young Adult Fiction. The 2010 competition will also now be open to novels that have previously been self-published. Each winner will receive a publishing contract with Penguin, which includes a $15,000 advance.

Congratulations to last year’s Breakthrough Novel Award winner, James King, whose winning novel, Bill Warrington’s Last Chance, will be published by Viking in August 2010. Bill Loehfelm’s Fresh Kills, the 2008 winner, is now available in paperback.

The Breakthrough Novel Award brings together talented writers, reviewers, and publishing experts to find and develop new voices in fiction. If you’re an author with an unpublished or previously self-published novel waiting to be discovered, visit CreateSpace to learn more about the next Breakthrough Novel Award and sign up for regular updates on the contest. Open submissions for manuscripts will begin on January 25, 2010 through February 7, 2010.

===

Anyone going for it? It’s a bit short notice, but, hey-o.

Edit: link courtesty of Wart, ex-DE, ex-AS and ex-cellent.

Dang, I’ve got till 2/7/10 to finish NM if I was going to submit it.

At least we have 6 days before the contest even opens.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010

15k advance, nice.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Sounds like it’s something that would happen again, so there’s always next year. :D

But next year we’ll be competing against all the other imps around here and I’m not good enough for that. =(

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Aww, you have to be 13 or older to enter,,, not like I would win, but still…. D:

There’s no way I can finish, edit and send something in in such a short time. Next year, I’ll send in my mangum opus and beat all your novel’s arses! HAHA!

It’s about a sparkly teenage vampire who gets accepted to a school for wizards and becomes a dragon rider! And then he defeats the Evil Empire. :D

Seriously, this is quite exciting. Maybe if I hurry, I may be able to scrape something together. I could always pull the “I’m 17, look me I’m a prodigy !!!!111!!one!!!”

It’s about a sparkly teenage vampire who gets accepted to a school for wizards and becomes a dragon rider! And then he defeats the Evil Empire. :D

Darn it, and I was going to do a story about a sparkly teenage dragon that gets accepted to a school for vampires and becomes a wizard rider. And then he defeats Evil Entire.

(sorry, been one of those days)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

becomes a wizard rider.

I don’t need to say anything, do I?

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

...BAHAHAHAHA. No, Jeni, you don’t.

And I meant it that way. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

And I meant it that way. XD

Dirty whore!

Darn it, and I was going to do a story about a sparkly teenage dragon that gets accepted to a school for vampires and becomes a wizard rider. And then he defeats Evil Entire.

We can collaborate and write a series! ANd be famouz!

w000t! let’s do it!

Who wants to do the story about a sparkly teenage wizard that goes to a school for dragons and becomes a vampire rider?

OH right, never mind.

That sounds cool, except I really need to start writing more so I actually have something to hand in.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I'll have to shoot for next year. No way on this overpopulated Earth am I finishing this WIP by February.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ditto.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited

Ditto ditto.

Ditto ditto ditto.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I’m gonna bust my butt and try to finish this. I’m editing my novel and sitting at just around 13,000 words of it that actually satisfies me.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Actually, now that I've seen the upper word limit, I'm not so sure I should bother.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010

150k’s pretty high for a debut novel, to be honest. Unless it’s fantasy, many of the agent and publisher blogs I’ve read have recommended keeping it under 100k. [125k is usually the limit for Fantasy, and historical can run a little higher]

Well, if you think about it…50k is about 100-120 pages on Word, right? (At least it was for me) Then 150k is three times that. On Word. How many pages is that in print? Unless you’re JRR Tolkien and/or it’s really good, no one wants to read that much of your writing.

Seriously, this is quite exciting. Maybe if I hurry, I may be able to scrape something together. I could always pull the “I’m 17, look me I’m a prodigy !!!!111!!one!!!”

If you do that, we will hunt you down.

I’d love to do this but I can’t. I simply don’t anticipate being published until I’m at least twenty-five. Plus I’d rather get a few novels behind me for practice, and then break out with my magnum opus, which I shan’t start for quite some time.

I’d love to do this but I can’t. I simply don’t anticipate being published until I’m at least twenty-five. Plus I’d rather get a few novels behind me for practice, and then break out with my magnum opus, which I shan’t start for quite some time.

In all honestly, if I submit something to this, it won’t be my magnum opus, which I’ve been working on for maybe three years now. (though it’s had a major genre shift from Fantasy to psuedo-Dostoevskian tradgedy. The plot’s mostly the same, though. And some of the characters.) Not only is it unfinished, it certianly would not apeal to the masses, I’m thinking…

I’d do one of my shorter, more marketable, works. None of which are finished.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010

bq. 150k’s pretty high for a debut novel, to be honest. Unless it’s fantasy, many of the agent and publisher blogs I’ve read have recommended keeping it under 100k. [125k is usually the limit for Fantasy, and historical can run a little higher]

That's the big problem with my work in progress. It's not even fully fleshed out, but I have a feeling it's going to be long. In my wildest imagination, it might even reach _The Lord of the Rings_ length. The story really is _that_ long, and the parts I have locked are absolutely necessary.

I’d do one of my shorter, more marketable, works.

I have only one idea on the brain right now…and I’m not sure whether it’s ‘marketable’. It’s fantasy with a steampunk tinge that I’m hoping to incorporate.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited

It’s fantasy with a steampunk tinge that I’m hoping to incorporate.

That sounds awesome on concept alone.

I have several plot ideas kicking around, but I can’t even get close to completing a NaNo so I don’t think I’d be able to do anything with this. Good luck to all of you, though. :D

Damn, wish I’d have known about it earlier. If I had known this a few months ago, I probably could’ve gotten it done in time.

Lol. Awesome.

@ Northmark- thanks, but I’m a very, very immature writer. I know what I want to do, but what comes out is total and utter crap. XP

but what comes out is total and utter crap. XP

That’s why you find great editors. [hi gals!]