Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

@happycrab91

TVtropes

ಠ_ಠ

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011

The document where I just shove all my stray ideas: 759, 268 words
    The document that actually contains the story I’m writing: 66, 792 words. And this is when I started all the way back in bleedin january.
    Sigh…I need to think of a way to channel my creative energy into the document that matters.

I remember there was this one period last year august where i was determined to finish a story and did sixty thousand words in only a month (with Stephen King’s rad ’2,000 words a day’ suggestion at my back) And it was so easy because it was just this random fantasy slice of life about a simoltaneously naive and dark amnesiac evil overlord interacting with all these characters. And then I was told I needed to find a plot, and everything made me so sad…

@Stellar Jetman, what did I doooooooooooo? What about TVtropes?

@happycrab91

@Stellar Jetman, what did I doooooooooooo? What about TVtropes?

Eh; my problem isn’t so much with the site as it with the “tropers” who run it. Bleh.

I have noticed that sometimes it seems not too reliable and has iffy tropes and people have little conversations under a series that has a certain trope and they have all these pages about tropes within tvtropes. But for the most part it’s pretty good.

•  
      CommentAuthorThe Cat
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011

I just started writing a story, I’m at Chapter 4. :)

Maybe I should just start the comic and make it up as I go along and introduce new characters whenever I want to. If this was to actually get serialized or something I would probably purposely stretch it forever and just make it keep going and going for the sake of parodying series that go on forever. And if I create plotholes by introducing things later on that make things in the past not make sense then maybe that’s the point.

Yes, I think this is a good idea. Continuity doesn’t have to be totally rigid, you know. I think a lot of the time, we get sucked into that (especially as less experienced writers). But really, you can do what you want.

Yay let’s be non-writing buddies together! Wait no how about we encourage each other to actually write? You can do ittttt!!

I like it. YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!!

Anyway, I managed to figure out how to finish my fight scene off. Originally I had my heroine overturn this massive table on her enemy—but you can’t actually do that. Tables are HEAVY.
    So in an ironic switch, I rewrote the scene and had her (rather dumb) enemy try to overturn it on her, fail, and that’s what buys her time to deliver the knockout blow. I’m quite proud of myself for that :D

Oh sorry forgot about this. Sounds good have you written the fight scene yet? I finally finished chapter TWO but it was meant to include other stuff which I have now moved to chapter 3 because I think it’ll work better and 2 was taking too long to get to the chapter’s namesake. So I won’t feel that good about finishing chapter 2 until I write what was meant to be in it.

I have about 20,000 words at the moment. I need to get in gear.

Depends how long you’ve been doing it for. My 2 chapters are around. 12,600 together. And it’s taken way too long.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011

Well, I’ve put my writing aside and worked on my characters and worldbuilding. I’ve decided the worlds are now osm enough and the characters are varied enough and believable, so now it’s time to write them.

And then I looked at all my schoolwork.

At least I’ve improved some. =_=

About 20,000 words. 4 chapters. That’s like a quarter of the bare minimum a novel should be. Let’s hope I stick with it…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011

Pshh, happycrab, don’t you know that novels aren’t about word count? It’s all about page numbers! Just up your font size to 48 or so with huge margins and strange spacing, and you’ll be novel-length in no time! For more excellent advice of this type, see my new book, Novel Writing the Maradonia Way, where you can find even more tips, such as extremely short chapters so you can pad out your book with even more useless pages!

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011 edited

I have five or six novels going at once, none of which has broken 10K yet. I’m doing something horribly wrong, but I don’t know what yet…

...Like that one novel I got up to sixteen thousand and then lost track of >_> It wasn’t that great, but geez. I’m so absentminded and ADD it’s pathetic.

Pshh, happycrab, don’t you know that novels aren’t about word count? It’s all about page numbers! Just up your font size to 48 or so with huge margins and strange spacing, and you’ll be novel-length in no time! For more excellent advice of this type, see my new book, Novel Writing the Maradonia Way, where you can find even more tips, such as extremely short chapters so you can pad out your book with even more useless pages!

LOL. I love this! If I do this to my WIP, does it count as working on it?

Argh, I wish I had time to even think about writing! This winter break, I am going to shut myself away and do nothing else. So there.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011 edited

How have I be so blind over the years?! Thanks for the advice! It was about 80 novel-sized pages in Word’s view it like a book mode with 12 Time New Roman Font (I wanna know how to change the margins in this mode. Anyone know?), but now thanks to you I have 1241 pages! I could get this thing published right now! Thank you, swenson.

Inkblot just keep trying. Maybe plan a bit more if you not knowing where the story going is a problem. That can take out the fun though. But despite me planning this fantasy thing to death I still discover new ideas and get enjoyment about discovering what my characters are like and how a scene plays out despite me already knowing the gist of things. I mostly just plan/plot six different stories at once but most of them aren’t even novels. I did write the first episode for a youtube series though.
    Or did you actually lose the 16k file? Well that sucks, too… trying to remember what you wrote and replicate it sucks. Even if you completely rewrite a scene it’s good to have the old version for bits of it you liked or to remember what happened.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

80 to 1241 pages?!

My good crab, you are truly a master at the Maradonia Way. I am in awe.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

happycrab: Honestly, I just continually lose interest in it. It’s probably a writer’s mortal sin, that. :P Beldam’s recent article made a big change in my attitude and I’m really trying to plug away at it. I have a ton of fun when I’m writing…I’m not quite sure why I have to beat myself into getting started.

I did lose it. Like I said though – it was a fun project but wholly unpublishable. No real plot to speak of, just a rambly…thing. That was one of those file sorting things where you just know that it’s hiding somewhere, but you can’t remember where you ended up sticking it.

I’ve been mired in my third draft for a long-ass time. I think I’ve been on the current chapter for at least a month. I just can’t get myself to work on it.

I lose interest in things but don’t give up on them. I still wanna write them eventually and not to sound up myself but I think they’re good if executed well. Beldam’s article was nice but I decided to write more on my own and will probably just as easily stop again soon. Well it sucks to lose stuff anyway. I’ve lost past drafts and such but I definitely know I don’t need them. They could’ve contained a few good lines here and there though.

sansafro being on a third draft is still pretty awesome…

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011

My story-that-is-a-prequel-to-my-original-story has run itself into the ground. I started changing a bunch of things halfway through, and now there’s a first draft in notebooks and part of a second draft on the computer and part of a second draft in another notebook, and I got worried to death about it being too clichéd, and the writing isn’t actually that great, and the heroine is kind of boring and passive, and the villain sort of hangs around without doing much until the middle of the story, and a ton of characters die, and the romance became a much bigger part of the story than it was originally intended to be, and I just can’t get a grip on this character at all, and I get distracted by the Internet, and I have too much schoolwork, and I keep putting things off. Grrr.

I’m sorry, Deborah. Don’t get discouraged- it’s slow business. Why don’t you try just letting things be for a while? Maybe an idea will come naturally for you if you stop worrying about it. It may not be what you were planning to fix, but still…could give you the jumpstart that you seem to need.

I get distracted by the Internet, and I have too much schoolwork, and I keep putting things off.

Story of my life. Story of my ENTIRE LIFE.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011

You’ll get it Deborah. =D

I finally got back to working on my story. I’m still really working on the characters and trying to figure out who I want them to be. I’ve actually found that writing a little bit about them, then stepping back and letting that lie for a while, then coming back and reading over it has given me some good ideas. I have time to think about what the implications are when I give character “A” personality “X”. It’s been really fun to just focus on the characters themselves rather than trying to dive into the story right off the bat.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Super. For me chars first story second is the best way to go.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

I think so. Especially if you want to make it a character driven story. I really respect authors that put a lot of time into their characters.

AURGH STUPID BROWSER LOST MY COMMENT!

@happycrab: yes, I finished the scene. I now have a completed story with too much character development weighing down what’s supposed to be a comedic ‘bash the bad guys’ thing. Gah. I don’t like my finished product.

How’s chapter two and three coming along?

The fight scene with the table flipping? That’s good. Not liking your finished product? That’s not good… How did you end up putting in all that character development? Well I hope you’ll figure it out.

I ended up writing the first 5 chapters. I wanted to get to 5 because I felt that was a milestone in the plot and I wanted to give it to some friends. Then NaNoWriMo started and I did about 2,000 words of chapter 6 then other things got in the way and I’m 5 days behind.

Well, the character development wasn’t so much ‘put in’ as re-ordered from what was already there in order to make more sense, and then realistically explored. And then somehow I ended up with an arc.

To be more specific about how it happened, I had bits and pieces of inner conflict here and there: she used to be a warrior for the king. Then she went on a mission to get a powerful jewel back from the evil lord who stole it, and he sliced her leg up real good. She’s since healed up a bit, but she’s nowhere near as flexible as she used to be, and her leg’s wrecked for any kind of long-term warriordom. So that’s a career path gone that she really loved and wanted to be good at. She’s got a lot of anger at this guy for killing her chances, and she’s also struggling to deal with her new life, which she likes, but it’s not the one that was first-choice.

I had bits and pieces of this anger and conflict here and there in the story, but they were sort of disjointed fragments that in terms of an arc were all higgledy-piggledy. Probably it wouldn’t have mattered to the coherence of the story but what it came down to was that from draft one there was a character moment/realisation thingy at the climax, which directly influenced her actions. So I had to re-organise her character arc so that this climax made a bit more sense, and then fill in a few of the gaps around it. Which I did. And now some of the jokes and comedic bits in there seem like wild mood swings.

Maybe it’s just me, though. I need somebody to read the first draft and the second draft and tell me.

...wait, happycrab, what’s your NaNo name? I’m pianissimotion. I’ll buddy you. I’m four days behind.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011

I’ll read it starting on December 1st. :D

Sounds interesting. I am not officially in NaNoWriMo sorry. Just thought I’d try to write along with everyone else.

You can still join up during November, if you like :)

Not doing NaNo (no time and I haven’t got any novel ideas anyway), but I’m working on a short story for CW class, and I’m about halfway done. hurrah.

Hmm maybe if I pick up speed. What will buddying involve?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011

Clicking a link on pianissimotion’s page that says “buddy this person” or something similar.

Done.

BUDDY ME I’M SUCH A FRIEND JUNKIE!

...especially since you are kind of my writing buddy anyway.

I’m sorry but I don’t think I will!!! Aren’t there rules such as you can’t have heavily planned everything and you can’t go back and edit it has to be continuous? And being buddies just shows how many words the other person has done daily to try to get you to match their words if they’re in front?

But I’m happy you think of me as your writing buddy.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011

*sigh* I worked so hard on writing in August, but my new job teaching leaves me so little time for creative thought outside of lesson planning. Theoretically weekends, but then I just want to do something mindless. Report cards are almost done, so maybe I'll have time after... riiiiight.

@happycrab: well, I prefer to think of it as bugging them if their wordcount’s low :)

And I think as long as you write 50 000 words, it doesn’t matter. You can always go back and edit later.

I don’t think I can write 50,000 wordsssssss. I’ve done 1 chapter since NaNoWriMo started at about 5,000 words and I have also made tiny edits back in past chapters. It will feel nice to soon have 50,000 words of my story, but 25,000 – 30,000 of those was done before November over a long period of time.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011

You can go back and edit if you really want to, but then the NaNo dragons will swoop down from the sky and gobble you up. Or you’ll just never, ever finish because you start wanting to rewrite everything.

ARGH!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011

CMON YOU CAN DO EEET

Somebody encourage me. I’m six days and eleven thousand words behind. And I can’t seem to find time anywhere. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited

CMON YOU CAN DO EEET

EDIT: Steph, know that sleep schedules and NaNo are largely incompatible. I’ve been pulling 12:01 AM days for the last week now. Am slap-happy, on the verge of delirium, and chemically imbalanced, but otherwise fine.

^^Great. Just great.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

@Ink, That should make for an interesting plot… Lol

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

Oh yeah, I don’t have any clue what’s going on. Thea pointed out an incredibly obvious characterization issue I did not even notice. D’uh.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011

1,556 words written and one chapter complete into a project I started today.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Now my story has 2,884 words!

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

So, after a good bit of time working out my main character’s background and personality, I finally settled on a name. I feel so accomplished! Lol! Now if I can just get the rest of the characters put together, and finish the outline, and I can get started on my story…

Go Jabrosky! And Fell_Blade!

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Thanks for the encouragement, Steph; now I have 3,194 words.

Awesome!

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011

Elwen is still stalled. But Thiswold Thyster is going well. Of course, the titular villain is acting creepy around his cousin’s daughter, and tried to persuade his cousin to go to war. But it’s going well.