Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Donald Maas (famous literary agent) reckons in his book The Fire in Fiction (read it!) that you should read everything, even if it sucks, because there’s gotta be something in there that sold the book, and you can learn from that.

I personally? Don’t wanna waste the time sifting through all that trash out there just to find nuggets. What about reading only the good stuff because it’s well-written. What about reading stuff that might not be quite so well-written if you enjoy it? Isn’t one of the main purposes of reading, enjoyment? To be swept up in the story?* Or does that have to change to a certain extent if you want to become the one who writes the stories?

Discuss. Preferably from the POV of a writer, but readers are welcome too. I like making you guys think, even if it’s just, “Wow, Steph’s lookin’ pretty purple today.”

*I’m not talking about the purposes of writing, mind. Just for reading. We might write social commentary, but it does nothing if people are so bored that they turn to The Adventures of Arianna Raven Nightshade and Kristoffe Giovanni von whatshisname after two paragraphs.

Hmmm...personally, I am finding myself with so little time to read, I don't want to waste my time reading Harlequin Romances or teenage chick lit in order to find something good in them. I feel that writers write books that they themselves would read, and so do their research in the genres that interest them. Even then, I can't imagine reading everything I see--I was like that when I was younger, but now, I'm waaay more selective. I think part of being a good writer is being a good reader--which means using your judgment about what is good and what is bad, and getting rid of the bad.

Besides, professional writers most likely don't have time to waste reading stuff that sucks.

But that's just my opinion.

Besides, professional writers most likely don’t have time to waste reading stuff that sucks.

Excepting S.Meyer, of course. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010

I read whatever comes to me. The good, the bad, the books outside of my usual tastes, everything. I don’t think it’s a good idea to only read sci-fi even if you want to be a sci-fi writer, or to only read romance if you’re planning on being a romance writer. All writers, I think, need to be flexible and open-minded when it comes to writing; otherwise, if they’ve only read in their genre, they’re liable to produce a generic book for that genre and nothing more.

What about reading only the good stuff because it’s well-written. What about reading stuff that might not be quite so well-written if you enjoy it

This is my opinion: For an author, your abilities as a writer are worthless if your abilities as a storyteller are lacking. Give me a great story and competent prose over an average story and terrific writer any day. Good writing is the effective use of language to produce some sort of effect, image, etc; it can’t stand alone by itself.

That’s not to say that the writer can lower his/her standards for his or her own writing as long as they think their story is wonderful; writers always need to test their limits, push them as far as they go. But I don’t think people should actively seek to read only the best writing; that sometimes breeds pretentiousness as mentioned in the Reader’s Manifesto (mentioned in another thread here), and at other times it prevents people from understanding bad writing. If you’ve never read bad writing, bad plotting, how are you going to recognize it when it shows up in your own work?

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Read everything. Experience everything.

The mark of an excellent writer is versatility of expression and experience. If you take a look at the biographies of the great writers of the past, you’ll find the vast majority of them had very difficult childhoods or young adult lives. Is it because writers require suffering to be great? No, it’s just because writers require a full range of experiences. How can you write about tragedy without experiencing tragedy? How can you write about love without experiencing love?

That’s why I never close myself to any experience, no matter how painful or unpleasant. The death of a friend or relative is an expansion of my expressive range, just as a first love is.

So why should you read every single scrap of writing that falls before you? Because you never know when it might come in handy, when you might appreciate having that in you toolbox of writing.

• CommentAuthorNo One

applauds Great piece of advice.

So why should you read every single scrap of writing that falls before you? Because you never know when it might come in handy, when you might appreciate having that in you toolbox of writing.

Does this apply to the low-brow drivel and the pretentiousness?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010 edited

Does this apply to the low-brow drivel and the pretentiousness?

It lets you catch what’s low-brow drivel and pretentious in your own writing.

I read somewhere that a lot of authors switch to reading mostly nonfiction for research purposes and don’t enjoy fiction as much after writing it themselves.

I, however, don’t think that will ever happen to me, as I love almost every fiction genre.

It lets you catch what’s low-brow drivel and pretentious in your own writing.

Can’t you just read blogs and stuff that have a lot of examples without having to struggle your way through an entire book?

@NP: Me too, my friend; me too.

I read quite a bit, but mostly works by old dead people. I’m fond of Russian lit (currently on Chekhov). I also study the Holocaust in my spare time (so I’ve read quite a few biographies and history book). Apart from that, I’m an Orson Scott Card fan (don’t make fun. Please). Really, the only genres I haven’t read are myseries and westerns, but I’m not attempting to write those, so it doesn’t matter much. Although, I pick up nearly every book that comes in the house and flip through it. I can’t help myself.

Basically, though, I write what I read. So that means my prose often comes out Dostoveskyish, which is what I’m aiming for. (I don’t think I’m as good as him, obviously. Please don’t think that I’m of the mind that I can match his quality. I’m just trying to capture the very Russian feel of his prose without ripping him off. Although I only attempt to sound Russian when I’m writing about Russians. It’d be weird to have my English schoolboy soliloquizing to himself, and his female friends bursting into hyserics/rage ever other chapter.)

I sometimes read crap for the lulz, but I find it very hard to sift through, as I read mostly classics. Then when the crap hits, I can’t really stomach it. Hell, I couldn’t finish Twilight.

The crap I’m currently reading is “Cosette: The Sequel to Les Miserables”, by some chick who thinks she can be Victor Hugo. It’s not teaching me anything about writing, except this:

Don’t attempt to be Victor Hugo. You fail.

Although I am seeing what happens when prose is overladen with weird similies… For instance:

“She did not want her daughter preserved in religion like a bonbon in sugar.”

Or:

“She said the name twice, like it was a stale biscuit”

Those are just from memory. But they are actual quotes from the book. I cringe whenever I come across them. But I have to keep reading it because I’m reviewing it for fellow Les Mis fans. No matter how painful it is.

On the subject of learning how NOT to write, there’s a bloody helpful book called, “How Not to Write a Novel”. It gives hilarious examples of bad writing, and then explains

1. Why it is bad.
    2. How it should be changed.

Anyway, it’s a great book, and at very least, it’s very entertaining.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010

I’m going to go with “life is too short to read bad writing.” I’ve struggled through enough books because “well, I bought the damn thing.” It’d be even worse if I was doing it because I was trying to force myself to learn something from it!

Hmm. . . I'm awful at reading books. I think I'd agree with what the platypus said. Reading books is hard when you've started writing and can discern the difference between crap and not-crap. Sometimes not-crap is really boring and hard to read, but the pulp-fiction crap, while easy to read, is head-bangingly bad. It really does present a problem, IMO. I've been trying to read more classics lately, but I'm not sure how that's going.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Can’t you just read blogs and stuff that have a lot of examples without having to struggle your way through an entire book?

Meh, as far as I’m concerned, people should only read what they are interested in. Forced reading isn’t enjoyable. That said, I think the mark of an intellectual is curiosity about everything.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

I read pulp fiction (and fanfic) for the lulz. Read Twilight for the same reason, but wound up more deeply disturbed that in agony from laughter.

I’ve found that, with all the discretion I’ve acquired through my own writing, that the writers I really loved reading when I was younger I still love and have come to appreciate more. All I have to say is that I’m glad I was friends with a librarian with excellent taste.

@ Kyllorac: It's so funny, because I feel the same way! (As in, the books I loved as a kid I love even more now.)

I also agree with Sly that forced reading is not so much fun--although assigned reading through school is sometimes a good thing. I would have never picked up Isabelle Allende's books if not for English class, and now I wish I could get my hands on more of her work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I think it’s important for writers to read both ‘good’ and ‘bad’ literature. I learned a lot from reading the Inheritance Cycle and the Twilight Saga. xP

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010 edited

I’m of the opinion that you should avoid novelizations of games and movies like the plague. They are very rarely more than quick attempts to squeeze a few extra pennies out of a franchise. They usually aren’t even educational in the way Twilight and Eragon are. You can tell that they were written by some average author, working to meet a deadline, without any creative control over the finished product. Meh.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010

I disagree with that. Novelizations of movies, in order to be released around the same time as the movie, are based on an earlier version of the script than the one that gets filmed. As a result they can often include scenes, characters, subplots, or alternate events than what you see on the screen due to budget, focus testing, or time constraints. This can be an interesting peek into the movie writing process, especially once you begin investigating the reasons for the differences.

I don’t know that you should force yourself to read something bad. Anything that you read, you can always glean something from it, whether it’s something good for your own writing or something to stay far, far away from. Most books have a mixture of them both in varying proportions, and an attentive reader will be able to see both sides of the coin and learn from it. In this case, you might as well read something that captures your interest, because a lot of people don’t have much spare time to read.

However, I do agree with Sly’s advice about experiencing life. I also feel that watching people (not when they’re sleeping, though!) can be extremely educational. Of course, you don’t want to incorporate the speech dynamics of a clique of 21st century valley girls into your novel about Victorian England, but there are certain elements of social interaction that are timeless and can really get you thinking.

I agree with SWQ and Sly.

I read quite a bit, but mostly works by old dead people.

Me too.

On movie novelisations: I managed to pick one up called “Getting Even With Dad”, by Elizabeth Somebody-or-other. I highly recommend it. It was hilarious, and it was really, really well-written. Just to say that they are out there.

@ Inspector: Why, oh why would anyone ever make fun of Orson Scott Card fans!!?? I LOVED the Ender Quartet--yes, he is a bit...odd (Card, not the books...wait a minute, I take that back), but he actually has a lot to say about humanity and brutality. He does get a bit kooky by the fourth book, but still--PURE AWESOMENESS!