Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I don’t disagree with you, MDC.

Well, I think some of the voice actors for FMA were better than the Japanese ones. Armstrong, for example, comes to mind. Hawkeye’s English voice actor was okay. From what little I’ve heard of it though, I prefer the Japanese Toru Okawa as Roy Mustang over the two others.

I seriously don’t have much to compare to, though, but either way, I’m not too rabid about dubs and subs. So I disagree and agree, depending on the specifics.

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010

Well, I only had a chance to see Naruto and DragonBall in English and that was total crap. Plus, I love the sound of Japanese and some seiyuu are amazing. But Christian Bale a Howl...just perfect:P
    •  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Toru Okawa as Roy Mustang over the two others.

I definitely agree with this statement. Travis Willingham had the perfect timbre, but he lacked the somewhat silly/mischievous undertone that Ohkawa portrayed.

I hated Ghibli’s Howl’s Moving Castle. They ruined the plot of a perfectly good book.

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku

I didn't read the book so I can still love it:P
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010 edited

I completely agree.

Nice painting, but STFU and GTFO.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I hated Ghibli’s Howl’s Moving Castle. They ruined the plot of a perfectly good book.

Hahaha, the book is completely different from the movie.

I’m just going to say that I really disliked Vic Mignogna as Ed, though. ducks

He was interviewed on the Unoffical One Piece Podcast and they talked a lot about him in Fullmetal Alchemist despite the podcast being about… well One Piece. He is like super christian and super friendly, which to me is a tiny bit weird cos im sort of an asshole. But he loves what he does and knows a lot about it and is a good musician. He’s alright as Edward but I almost always prefer subbed.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

As with Tales of Earthsea, it’s easier if you accept that it isn’t an adaptation and go in thinking of it as something new. Doing this helped me to be able to watch it without pointing out all the differences.
    It’s annoying that this makes any actual adaptation of it at a later time unlikely, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

As with Tales of Earthsea

Ugh. Speak not of that travesty.

I never thought I’d look forward to the next season of an anime that revolves around a little girl killing demon-thingies while being accompanied by a intriguingly undead guy

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010

Ugh. Speak not of that travesty.

The music was nice, if nothing else.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010

The music was nice, if nothing else.

Ghibli music is always nice. <3

I watched the first 3 episodes of Katanagatari and liked it, even though it feels a whole lot like somebody made an anime out of Oboro Muramasa. It seems like a fun show so far, but I wish it came out more than once a month.

Just finished Chrono Crusade, great watch IMO, awesome ending
    And I’m surprised that no one’s mentioned

twas awesome too!

EDIT: Oh, god the picture was far larger than i expected O_o so i made it hidden
    EDIT2: oops

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010 edited

I'm utterly shocked that no one has mentioned the anime Ergo Proxy, which contains some absolutely stunning environments and futuristic themes.

Another one of my favorites is the anime Noein, and what I prefer most about it is probably that the fighting scenes are amazingly animated.

The only anime where I prefer the dub over the sub is Desert Punk. They really translated/changed the jokes well in that hilarious, ecchi little thing....

I read more manga than I watch anime, though. In that department my favorites must be the first half of Berserk (much more depressing.... yay), Claymore, One Piece, 7Seeds, Vinland Saga, 20th Century Boys, Monster and some scattered shojo, though I can never remember their names (which are mostly just variations of each other).

Currently about to finish Ubel Blatt, which is surprisingly not as crappy as I originally thought it would be. Avoided it for a couple of years, but nowdays I'm starting to run out of reading material o.O
    •  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010

Violinist of Hameln is a fun read if you’re in the mood for slapstick comedy, toilet humor, and a pretty decent story and characters. The anime version takes itself far too serious IMO.

Anybody seen any abridged series? They make bad anime a hundred times better.

YGO Abridged is winner. I’ve never bothered watching any others since I can’t imagine they’d be on par.

“Brains. Brains brains. Braaaiinsss.”

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010

Has anyone here heard of Haibane Renmei? It was created by Yoshitoshi ABe, and it’s one of my favourites. I think the peaceful setting and careful exploration of themes are beautiful. The music, too!

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010

Haibane renmei is amazing, one of my most favouites as wel along with Seirei no Moribito, Bamboo Blade, Ouran Kouko Hostokurabu and some other which I can't remember now. But Haibaen renmei is just...different than what you normally see in anime...
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010

What’s the difference between anime and animation? my dad asked.

Erm. I thought anime was slang for animation… i replied.

No, it’s not. my dad replied.

uh? Ok, what’s the difference then? I asked.

[silence]

Oh come on!

As far as I know, anime refers specifically to Japanese animation and the art style used.

As I understand it, the word “anime” is a reverse import from France, and as far as the Japanese are concerned, all animation is anime, rather than specifically Japanese animation. The rest of the world, however, uses it as an identifier of specifically Japanese animation.

That’s pretty much how it is. Same with “mecha” – in Japan, it’s anything mechanical; outside Japan, it’s those huge piloted robots.

Here are ANN’s reviews for the new Spring anime in case you’re curious. So far, it seems like Heroman and Angel Beats are getting pretty good reception.

I loved the shit out of the first Heroman ep, although I’m biased just because of the luzly Stan Lee shops that followed.

Second episode of Heroman was pretty fun too. I don’t care what anybody says, Joey is an awesome/refreshing protagonist, and it’s bizarre that a show that seems so flagrant in every possible aspect manages to characterize its lead so subtly.

FMA Brotherhood is almost over :’(
    Angel Beats is so-far-so-awesome. So lulzy :o

Recently watched Pandora Hearts and Eden of the East.
    I liked PH, nice and unique :/ . Pacing was off though.

God knows why i missed EotE :S … waiting for the last movie

I’ve been watching Cowboy Bebop lately. It’s pretty awesome.

Bebop is like one of THE anime !! :p

Cowboy Bebop is one of the two anime that everybody likes regardless of whether or not they like anime(FLCL being the other).

I still prefer Welcome to the NHK, though. Both are great.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010

I finished Sora no Woto a while ago. It wasn’t perfect, but it was heartwarming and beautifully done. I never knew Amazing Grace could be used to such dramatic effect :)

I really want to watch Summer Wars... except my computer looks like it’ll crash if I download anything that big, I can’t find any sites that can stream it, and a US release isn’t gonna happen for a long time. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010

@ OneofLalalaland- The manga is much better. They only worked off of the first, say, 20 mangas and wrapped it up from there instead of waiting for the actual manga to wrap up, so it’s rushed and unfounded on it’s ending. ^^ Read the Manga. IS AWESOME.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010 edited

Irrevelant: Who knew that OneManga could be so addictive?

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010

Mangafox is better. V.V

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010

Gotten back into Detective Conan.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010

Pandora. Hearts. Suspended. DDDDDDD:

BWAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Finally watched Summer Wars. Might just be the best anime movie I’ve ever seen, even better than Spirited Away, End of Evangelion, and Tokyo Godfathers.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

I loved Summer Wars, but it bothered me throughout the whole film that resembled the 2nd Digimon movie so much. The two movies had a lot of staff in common, though, and Summer Wars was better in just about every way than Digimon.

Recently finished Tsukihime and Gurren Lagann.

Tsukihime was alright, plenty of pacing issues and wikistory. Much like in Fate stay night, you’ll need to wiki the story and the game to see everything.

TTGL wasn’t a masterpiece or anything such IMO. It was a good, fun watch however. I liked pretty much everthing except Yoko’s dressing style and the fights. I especially liked the music and the relationship between simon and kamina.

Also… Angel beats is awesome

I’ve been trying to catch up on all the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex episodes on my DVR.
    That show is insanely awesome. The animation is so good that the CG in there doesn’t stand out like it would in other shows.
    I also have a bunch of Cowboy Bebop episodes to catch up on…man, I can’t wait for summer. :3

Just saw Akira. It was pretty cool, but the ending made no sense.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

Finished reading the first volume of Fullmetal Alchemist. I might continue reading on if I can just find a good-quality scan or the next volume at my library.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

crawls in dramaticly gasping for air
    THERE. IS. STILL. NO. PANDORA HEARTS. Or a Gakuen Alice update

Inspired by this thread from TZ, I feel like doing this.

- I was one of those people who jumped ship from Pokemon after the dub cast got replaced.

- I still like dubs more than subs.

- I don’t understand the love over CLAMP and Rumiko Takahashi.

- Code Geass is the most overrated show in recent time.

- I thought Haruhi and TTGL were only okay. I didn’t hate them. I didn’t love them. I just thought they were decent shows at best.

- Speaking of Gurren Lagann, I thought Kamina was annoying and his death actually improved the show.

- Moe is the cancer that is killing the anime industry.

- I have not seen the entirety of Cowboy Bebop (though I’m planning to end that sometime in the summer).

- Despite being an anime fan, I just can’t get myself into any manga besides Urasawa’s stuff.

- The ending of the second season of Digimon still pisses me off to this day.

- I used to watch Sailor Moon.

- I actually kind of liked Naruto and Bleach up until they went into long-term arcs (Chuunin and Soul Society, respectively).

- I have never been to a con and don’t plan to in the near future.

- G and 00 are the only Gundam series I watched entirely.

- Show me pictures of Kanon and Clannad, and I won’t be able to tell the difference between the two.

- Ocean Dub < FUNi Dub

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010 edited

So you're meant to just post random facts about your opinions on anime and stuff? Well I cant think of anything myself so I'll respond to some of yours.

I really really prefer subs because dubs sound phoney to me. Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with real life Japanese speech but it just sounds way more genuine. It is plenty possible for English dialogue in cartoons to sound believable like in Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Simpsons and tons of things. But in the dubbed anime I've watched it's horrible. Granted I havent watched that much anime dubbed, but still. And most of the time I think the Japanese voice suits the character way better. I absolutely love the main Japanese cast of One Piece but the English both in the Funi and 4Kids dub is not very good.

I think it's cool that CLAMP is a whole team of women but their stuff is just ok. I used to think Card Captor Sakura was pretty cool when I was young.

I watched all of Code Geass and it was pretty good till it got very very retarded in season 2 and the product placement is annoying. The show is also a bit of a Death Note rip-off me thinks. But I enjoyed the show.

I agree with everything about TTGL but never heard of Haruhi. I like to think that I know a lot about the anime world and but in reality I just haven't gotten around to reading and watching a lot of stuff.

Moe?

Cowboy Bebop is one of the many series that I started but randomly stopped even though it was good or showed promise and I really want to finish it but my procrastination is so bad I even procrastinate procrastination.

I really need to read/watch Urasawa's "Monster"

She is the one named Sailor Moon! Yeah I watched it just cos I was a kid and it was on. Possibly one of the worst animes ever because it was the same thing every episode without any decent action. A monster comes they repeat the animation of them attacking and the monster is defeated.

Yeah Naruto and Bleach did get super crap pretty early on and have still yet to improve. But I'm still following them for some reason... The overratedness and popularity of them pisses me off.

I went to a con once and am planning to go this year, but they are pretty lame

Ok I'm done. Maybe I'll come up with some of my own soonish.

I really really prefer subs because dubs sound phoney to me.

Most dubs are terrible, but a few are really good. Everybody likes Cowboy Bebop‘s, but I’d say that Welcome to the NHK has the best dub that I’ve heard. If you look around, you’ll find plenty of good dubs – and I’d take a good dub over a sub any day. (But I prefer subs most of the time.)

Moe?

Pronounced mo-ay. Not a Stooge. Basically, it’s little girls, usually sexualized to some degree (as this is a Japanese phenomenon).

Well there's been occaisons where I couldnt be bothered reading subtitles so I watched FLCL dubbed. Maybe some day I'll watch some shows that have been dubbed well. I also sometimes pay a bit of attention to morning anime when I'm awake but that's usually kiddy crap like Bakugan.

OH I thought I had already learnt all those special manga and anime terms but that one I missed (well I'm sure there's many others I don't know). And yeah, that is pretty disgusting. Japs be crazy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010

- G and 00 are the only Gundam series I watched entirely.

This.^^

Oh, here’s mine:
    -Death Note, Beauty Pop, and Fruits Basket are the only anime/manga series I have watched every single episode/read every volume of.

-I’m banned from watching Ouran (because of the crossdressing)

-It’s a rare occurrence for me to watch the first episode of an anime before I watch the rest. I fail to record them. >.<

-I actually like watching Inuyasha.

-I would be more into the medium if I had more expendable funds. >.>

-I’ll be really enthusiastic about watching a show someone recommends, but then I promptly get lazy and don’t even try.

-I’ve read almost all of the manga shelf at the library, with the exception of Naruto and Sailor Moon (however, they have a nasty habit of forgetting to continue buying the series. Gah, so many cliffhangers for me).

-If a friend likes a show, I’ll read up about it on TVTropes instead of watching it, so I can have a semi-intelligent conversation about it. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010

I finally got around to finishing Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Not my favorite Studio Ghibli movie ever, but it was still amazing.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010

It becomes even more amazing if you know that it was only the first part of a much larger story. The rest of the story hasn’t been animated, but I have seen the graphic novels (and these are huge things, mind you) floating around. I’m not sure how many novels there are, but there are at least four.

First major Heroman arc over. Look forward to see where the show goes from here. I’m not even gonna bother trying to predict it, since it’s rarely what I expect besides silly shots of Stan Lee in the background.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010 edited

Is that the one with CRY AT ZA MOON!

Nevermind, CRY FOA ZA MOON

Kekkaishi is Bleach with squares.

After putting it off for 4 years, I decided to watch Conqueror of Shambala. By itself, it’s all right. But as an ending to the first series, it’s kind of underwhelming. Hope Brotherhood’s ending will be better.

Anyone know when Eden of the East’s 2nd movie is coming out? : /

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010

I’ve never liked anime (with notable exception to the first Pokemon series), and usually stay as far away as possible. But, I’ve considered starting Death Note, because it sounds cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010

Death Note, like so many other Animes (_Gundam 00_ to name one), was so very, very awesome at the beginning and had so very,very much potential for awesomeness. But like so many other Animes it got sidetracked and when you look back on it all you can say is “...What the hell happened?”

The ongoing quality of Death Note usually depends on how much you like a certain character named L. To elaborate further would be nothing but spoilers.

LADIES

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

Death Note, in my opinion, is one of the most interesting anime I saw (and the list of those I've seen is pretty long). L is great, one of the greatest characters in anime ever. The ending was fine, much better than the one in manga. So i think it's worth watching

The further I get into Cowboy Bebop, the less I like it.

Wait what? The anime ending of Death Note is different to the manga ending? I’ve only read Death Note. Please tell me what the difference is in spoiler tags or something.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

I gave up watching Death Note after a certain point. I cite Puppet’s post as the reason.

I still have yet to finish the series.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010 edited

Exactly. I never watched the Anime, but I read the Manga. It just kept getting worse and worse as it went on, so I just gave up after a while.

I gave up watching Death Note after a certain point.

Was it the point where

That literally divides the fandom into those who still like the show and those who won’t go any further. My cousin actually refused to watch the show once that happened.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010

Shortly after, yes.

I tried watching a few episodes more, but I didn’t like the shift in dynamic. I felt that the conflict before the event you mentioned was far more intriguing.

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku

Personally, I had no prblem finishing the show, even though L was by far the best character. For me, the end of anime was worth waiting for it even without L
    the difference is
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I was completely fine with finishing Death Note I didnt think it got crapper and crapper as it went on. It’s one of the best animes ever.

I thought the second half was only okay, whereas the first half was a pretty delightful ride. I could never really invest emotionally in M and N.

Being as impatient as I usually am, I looked at the last chapter of FMA. It’s not stupid like the ending to the first series, but there’s just a sense that more could’ve been done.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

Off-topic: does anyone know a website where I can find chapters beyond the 19th chapter on Psychic Busters? (or was it Psycho Busters?)

@MDC
    I spoiled myself over the internet and the only thing i thought was:

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010 edited

I’m not ruining FMA for myself. As if it can all be wrapped up in one more chapter. Someone told me that the manga and anime would end simultaneously but I knew that couldnt be true. The anime should still have at least 5 episodes left. Brotherhood is awesome. And the manga is awesome. I haven’t read/watched as many series as I would like to have so my opinion might not be very valid, but I think FMA is one of the most well-plotted logical realistic best stories ever.

@crab
    Why do you think its so popular? :P

I just finished the manga and thought the ending was pretty decent.

Damn dont quite have the time to read it yet. Damn education. Over 100 pages? Awesome. I expected it would be. Pretty decent? I hope its better than that. But everyone one would agree endings that satisfy the fans are hard.

And in other news!

I wonder what Nate thinks about this.

That Supernatural thing sounds very intresting… and unecessary. We dont need to make adaptions of everything.

As for the FMA finale:

To get this thread back up, FUNI apparently got Serial Experiments Lain and the entire Tenchi series.

Oh, and here’s a list for those curious about this season.

Most of it looked really lame, until I saw Sengoku Basara 2. GET YA GUNS ON

Other than that, I’ll probably try Issho to Tono, since I like the Sengoku period, and Cat Shit One, because the title is hilarious and the picture is of a rabbit with a sniper rifle.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010

FMA?

Just finished reading Fullmetal Alchemist. It’s a good story.

Now I wanna a new manga to read over the school hols. T-T

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010

FMA = Fullmetal Alchemist, I believe.

FMA is indeed Fullmetal Alchemist.

Read Eyeshield, No One. It is the best.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010

Thanks, sansa. I will be indebted to you for giving me something to avoid boredom. :P (Among other things, of course)

Just as a warning, most scans of it probably have a lot of cursing, but other than that it doesn’t have any objectionable material. Also it’s FOOBAW

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010

I just took a look at the Eyeshield 21 summary and I can see it’s about football alright.

Whether I’ll read it or not is the question here. Obviously you would read something like that. Me, weeeeeellll….

Haha, I’ll see whether it’s good or not.

As I tell everybody who might be reluctant to read it, it might actually be easier to enjoy if you don’t know that much about football, so some of the goofier moves they do in later chapters don’t bug you. It’s really written with people who don’t know much about the sport in mind.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010

Huh. That’s good. I know enough about sport to get by.

Yeah, I mean you won’t squee like I did when they run a Zone Blitz, but you won’t bang your face against a wall when the “Delta Dynamite” comes up(note: there is no such thing as the Delta Dynamite in real life).