Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Welp, I figured there are enough users into anime and/or manga that it warranted its own thread, and the two are too interconnected to split them between the TV and sequential art threads. If a mod disagrees, feel free to sink this.

Anyway, talk about anything related to anime or manga here. Which medium do you prefer? What are your favorites? Which ones do you hate? Subs versus dubs? Industry trends? All these are good things to discuss.

Anyway, have at it.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010

I’m a big fan of manga, and I have my own list of manga I love.

In no particular order: – The Gentlemen’s Alliance Cross – Beauty Pop – Naruto – Ruroni Kenshin (not sure if it’s correctly spelt) – Millenium Snow – Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom
    and more!

The problem is: my library doesn’t have ALL volume of each series, and it’s frustrating having to skip some volume and waiting for aaaaaaages for the library to buy more new volumes and add into their library network. And I can’t be bothered trying to buy some, because that means a nice, long debate with my parents until one of us gives up. And it’s expensive! Hell, just one volume of Naruto or Hana-Kimi is AU$14.95! And it’s only what, 50,100 pages worth? Something around the number 100 anyway.

Well, if you want to keep up with the Japanese releases, you can always use a site like OneManga. I’m far too poor to buy most series, so that’s how I read most of mine(except Rurouni Kenshin, since IMO the licensed release was excellent enough to warrant purchasing the whole series).

I’m in the middle of rereading Eyeshield 21 for the fifth time or so because I briefly forgot how awesome it was.

Unless it’s moe, harem, generic shonen, or any of that ecchi crap, I don’t have much of a preference for any specific genre so long as they have a good plot, characters, etc. For favorites, I love Fullmetal Alchemist (the first series and Brotherhood), Death Note, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I generally prefer dubs over subs unless the dub is really awful. And as for the current industry, I feel that most anime is becoming too fanservice-oriented and otaku-centric instead of focusing on getting a good story out.

So far, the number of anime I watch is much smaller than it used to be. The only new show I’m keeping up with is FMA:B (though I might watch Durarara!!), while I’m also watching the dubs for Baccano! and Monster.

As for manga, the only one I’m reading so far is Pluto.

FMA:B is one of the only two I’m currently keeping up with, and it’s been consistently enjoyable, although I’ll have to wait until it’s over to decide if I like it better than the first series.

The only other currently airing anime I’m following right now is Fairy Tail, which has been pretty disappointing in terms of animation. I still watch it faithfully every week since A) I’m loyal to the manga and I hope the anime will improve, and B) its soundtrack is shockingly good, considering how much they skimp in other areas.

I liked Monster, but I have no idea how the dub is.

Oh, I forced my cousin to watch Gurren Lagann over the break as payment for letting him have my old computer, and predictably he whined about it and called it stupid, but didn’t anyway. We only had time to watch the first half, but the next morning I heard him singing “row, row, fight tha powah” to himself. I don’t think I’ll have to twist his arm to get him to watch the second half. Just as planned.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I used to watch Fullmetal Alchemist with my eldest cousin while he was staying with my family. But when he left, he took Fullmetal Alchemist with him, so…

Recently I watched Spirited Away (halfway through, the subtitles went out. I wanted to kill the movie just because the subtitle disappeared. (Yes, I’m very dependent on subtitles.) I might watch the DVD instead later on in 2010.) and Howl’s Moving Castle.

I used to watch Pokemon and Dragon Ballz. From time to time I might watch Pokemon but Dragon Ballz is lost on me now.

Mwahahaha, when I was in reception, I made a version of Mewtwo. I was a Pokemon fanatic back then and now, looking at the picture, I just wanna creep away and die in shame…

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010 edited

Dragon Ball was the first anime I ever watched but I never really felt like an anime fan until DBZ came out and I’d get up at 5am to watch it, back in 5th or 6th grade IIRC. Those were good times.

I did watch Pokemon too, but I didn’t like it because Ash only had one Pokemon that I used.

And as for the current industry, I feel that most anime is becoming too fanservice-oriented and otaku-centric instead of focusing on getting a good story out.

I agree with this 3000%.

DEATH NOTE! And that’s about it…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

MANG—- oh.

aww.

slinks away dejectedly

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

| was disappointed about the lack of mangoes.
    But it’s OK, because manga is fun too. I particularly enjoy Fushigi Yuugi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Slayers, Azumanga Daioh, Ceres: Celestial Legend, and Hikaru no Go.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Detective Conan. :D

Personally, I prefer subs to dubs, because people sound a lot better when you can’t understand them. And Detective Conan in English they changed Ran’s name to Sarah, Shinichi to Jimmy, etc. I can’t stand the English voice actors.

And Avatar: The Last Airbender as well.

I can’t stand the English voice actors.

Me neither; I prefer reading the subtitles to having it dubbed.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I have a hard time following anything for a long period of time, including anime. I end up dropping them after awhile, especially if they have hundreds of episodes.

I do like the Death Note anime, haven’t read the manga.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010 edited

I read the Death Note manga before it became huge – the first half was awesome. After that, I felt that it was dragging out, and I lost interest. I tried watching the anime, but couldn’t stop laughing at the melodrama. XD

I’ve been following the FMA manga since shortly after it came out. I watched and am watching both anime versions. Each version has its own strengths – the first series did a really good job with the characters, (I actually cried when Hughes died ;.;) and I liked how they incorporated the manga side stories. The second series does a good job of following the manga’s plot, but the characters are secondary to the plot, and it’s got a much more serious tone from the get-go. Hughes really wasn’t onscreen long enough to get attached to, and so his funeral scene was nowhere near as heart wrenching as in the first series.

One animated series I adore is Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It is old and long, but so totally worth it. The animation (except for a few very brief spots here and there) is superb, the characters are great, and it is masterfully plotted. The original novels were written by a historian, if I recall correctly, and the series deals believably with the cyclical nature of history, the merits and demerits of democracy vs. totalitarian regimes, political corruption, war and its effects… Just watch it. XD

The first three seasons of Slayers were great. The most recent two… were a disappointment in everything but the animation department (they pansy-fied and dumbed down Zelgadis TT_TT).

Shounen Onmyouji is one series I enjoyed. There’s a lot of traditional Japanese folklore, the animation is smooth, and I liked the characters.

Ouran Koukou Host Club is such a fun series, though I like the anime over the manga. The characters are so much fun (Nekozawa is my favorite). X3

07-Ghost is also a good series. The anime was very true to the manga, though it ended before it overtook the manga. I’m hoping for a second season in the future…

I used to religiously follow the Detective Conan manga, but life interfered and I forget where I stopped. Methinks it’s time I went on an archive binge. XD

Tried watching FLCL. Did not succeed. @_x

And Basara! Cannot forget Basara. It’s a shoujo manga, but it’s got a good plot, great characters, and the artwork is lovely. There’s even a subversion of the prophesied Chosen One. So very unappreciated a series it is.

As for subs vs. dubs, I prefer subs because in general, the Japanese voice actors have less annoying voices than the English (Akira Ishida PWNS David Moo), plus I sometimes have trouble following spoken language, so the subs keep me from having to rewind over and over until I finally comprehend what someone said.

because people sound a lot better when you can’t understand them.

Ha, props to you for being honest. This seems to be true for most of the hardcore subfans, although most won’t admit it. The biggest advantage (IMO) that subs have is there is a deeper VA pool in Japan, so you don’t typically have to recycle voices as often as dubs do. Interestingly, English dubs with Japanese subs are popular in Japan for the same reason you stated.

I do like the Death Note anime, haven’t read the manga.

They’re almost identical, except for the melodramatic writing sequences and some minor variations in the ending.

Tried watching FLCL. Did not succeed.

waht

Watched a bit of Detective Conan back when it aired on AS. I never really got into it though.

Speaking of AS, it seems that they’ve officially run out of any actual new anime ever since Bleach started repeats and Moribito ended. I’m not a fan of either show (and quite frankly, anything after Death Note), but it’s just kind of sad that one of the blocks that helped get me into anime is rotting. And instead, stuff like Tim & Eric gets better treatment.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010

@Moldorm: Fushigi Yuugi sounds familiar… isn’t it about celestial warriors and a priest?

^^Yeah, that’s the one.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Ah, I thought so. I really like that one.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

You might know it by it’s English translation: The Mysterious Play.

I’m halfway through Baccano!, and the awesomeness of the show is making me wonder what else I’ve been missing out on in the past two years.

Well, I’ll give manga one absolute advantage over anime: variable panel composition. There’s no way to translate a kickass panel like the bottom one here into anime and make it work the same way:

Speaking of AS, it seems that they’ve officially run out of any actual new anime ever since Bleach started repeats and Moribito ended. I’m not a fan of either show (and quite frankly, anything after Death Note), but it’s just kind of sad that one of the blocks that helped get me into anime is rotting. And instead, stuff like Tim & Eric gets better treatment.

Apparently, I have to retract that statement since AS might be licensing 3 new anime. FMA:B and the Inuyasha sequel seem like the obvious choices, but what about the third selection?

I think they should’ve snagged Gurren Lagann back in the day instead of letting SciFi (or however its spelled nowadays) get their grubby mitts on it. I don’t have any idea what it’ll be either, though. I’d never heard of Moribito when they licensed it(and I still haven’t actually watched it >_<) but I wouldn’t be surprised if they found another giant robot show.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010

Sorry, but I kill for Pandora Hearts. That is just incredibly amazing, both as far as the actual art, and the concept.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010

I’m watching Death Note. It’s intriguing.

Subbed or dubbed, Dia?

• CommentAuthorNo One

Subbed or dubbed?

I can’t be bothered to search through Wikipedia, my internet quota is empty and therefore, it’s running slow.

So…. please explain?

Subbed – Subtitles

Dubbed – The audio is in English.

I only ask because Light’s English VA is a riot, but they are pretty much the same otherwise.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Oh OK. Thanks, Marquis.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

It’s subbed.

Speaking of subs, I found these videos that critique what fansubs do nowadays. While the guy definitely has some nostalgia bias going, he does make some good points about how fan-translators barely actually translate things.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010

I usually like sub/dub depending on what I watch the anime in first, but it might be coincidence. For example, I hated the DBZ japanese voices (I saw English first), and I couldn’t stand the English Bleach voices (I saw jap first).

Death Note is the most awesome in this world since awesome. I liked both Japanese and English dubs equally.

I liked Inuyasha at first, but it kind of died for me after a good 50 episodes of the exact same thing over and over. If they actually gave some number count to the jewel shards, maybe I wouldn’t have been so annoyed.

@MdC: That actually looks pretty interesting. When someone actually goes through the trouble of animated something unnecessarily, it’s usually good. But sleep first :(

I liked Inuyasha at first, but it kind of died for me after a good 50 episodes of the exact same thing over and over. If they actually gave some number count to the jewel shards, maybe I wouldn’t have been so annoyed.

Inuyasha is the Twilight of anime.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Inuyasha is the Twilight of anime.

Inuyasha is nowhere near that bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010

I think that the Pandora Hearts translations aren’t to bad. I’d like to get my hands on those proofreaders, though!

The Fairy Tail anime is actually taking a turn for the tolerable recently. The soundtrack is still the best part by a mile, but the animation is actually improving, which is nice.

I saw a bit of some show called Qwaser of Stigmata a week ago. From what I could figure, a kid that looks like Allen from D.Gray-Man has to fight anti-Christian dominatrices. And to gain power, he has to drink breastmilk from a bunch of high school girls. Yeah, it sounds completely stupid.

Now onto actually good shows, Durarara’s still awesome.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010

watches animation picture

Are you serious? After one. whopping. punch.

I have no idea what Durarara’s about, but that gif is enough to get me to at least watch the first ep.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

@ No One: You should see my one-inch punch technique, it’s getting pretty good. With some superpowered anime muscle, it could be epic

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

@Taku

You mean it isn’t epic already? :P

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

@ Kyllorac

Not yet, no. However… give me a little more practice and a place to stand, and I can punch a hole in reality.

Well, that answers the question of when, since I don’t think there was any doubt about the the if.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited

Just watched the first three episodes of Durarara, and I have no idea what’s going on, but that punch bit and and the scene in which it took place were both great.

What I really want is a gif of is that Izaya guy stomping that ganguro chick’s cell phone over and over while laughing like a madman.

cough The only anime I’m currently watching is this Stealth Parody of stereotypical—you know, it’s yuri; that’s all that needs to be said.

Please assume nothing from this post.

SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO,

WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKEYOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!”

AND I WAS LIKEFUCK YOU!”

SO THEY WERE LIKEWELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?”

AND I WAS LIKETHE HEART”

AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY.

I LOVE MY LIFE.

Sorry for the caps, but this pretty much describes the creative process of Bleach in a nutshell.

I don’t have the slightest clue what show you’re talking about, hmyd.

I’m rewatching Samurai Champloo for the first time in a few years, and this show kicks so much ass I can’t forgive myself for briefly forgetting just how much ass it kicked.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010

@Taku: Sorry I’m late in reply. 1 inch punch? Wasn’t that from some manga? (God, I read too many mangas to keep track of) 1 inch punch… struggles to remember

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010

@ No One: It’s a real technique that differs among a couple of styles of kung fu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keS3OTNger8

Are you /a/non, MdC?

What? One can’t enjoy a meme without being accused of going on 4chan?

Not an accusation, just a question. Just haven’t seen SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO anywhere else, although truth be told, I haven’t really looked.

ALL YOUR BASE

LOL DONGS

FAGGY THREAD IS FAGGY

NO U

ROFLCOPTER

Watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. There’s something about this film that reminds me of Digimon for some reason.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited

Hooray a manga/anime thread. I haven't been very active in this forum for quite a while and when I am its usually not about writing, which is kinda sad and pointless for me. I'm kinda slowly giving up on writing but still want to get back to it and get a book finished and published (ha not likely)

Well I've been meaning to read and watch A LOT more manga and anime but I am just too lazy. So I dont have that wide a range of series that I've followed so any opinions I have about what is the best is probably not very valid.

As for Fullmetal Alchemist, I have all the episodes and the movie but I watched the first 5 - 10 episodes and just didn't like what they did to the series. I hated all the crap about the red water that can be used to make fake philosopher stones or whatever. And I've heard about how the series ends so it just sounds a bit stupid. But I've read the whole manga and have watched all of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which is my favorite anime ever. Really well thought out plot in a very realistic world.

I have read Death Note and began watching it to see how the anime handled it and it's much better as an anime cos it has the freedom to be a bit creative with how it conveys some things. It is probably the second best anime series I've watched.

I watched all of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann just cos some guy said it was the best anime ever and I really disagree. It's good for entertaining crazy Japanese randomness but it really lacks a decent plot, the world makes no freaking sense and everything just gets way too out of hand. Characters are alright I guess. The first half was pretty meh, the time skip was very surprising even though I shouldve known it was coming what with the very first scene in the anime but I had forgotten about it at the time, and the second half got a lot better.

Fairy Tail's anime really is deeply disappointing cos of recycled animation and crappy filler episode only like 10 episodes into the series. As for the manga at first I thought it was pretty good partly cos I thought it was pretty similar to One Piece in many ways, but now I have really lost interest in the series but am still reading for the sake of it.

Naruto pisses me off more than any other series. Each new chapter makes me hate the series and Kishimoto even more, especially the newest one where Sakura just become the world's biggest dumbass C-word ever. What annoys me most about Naruto is that it's really overrated. Does pretty well in the US, UK and Aus and has the most people reading it online, when it's pretty cliched, stupid and depressing. It started pretty good despite one of the worst main characters in anything ever but now it's gone way downhill.

Bleach also annoys me. It is really the same boring thing all the time. Huge flashy attacks that aren't really creative and long metaphoral phylosophical speeches all in giant panels with almost no talking or plot progression. This too has gone very downhill but it isn't annoying as Naruto, it's just boring.

And ONE PIECE!!! Best manga ever. It IS the most popular manga worldwide but mostly only popular in Japan cos sadly 4kids screwed up the dub and Vizmanga not releasing the newest chapters (but they're doing a speed up and releasing like 4 volumes a month now). Eiichiro Oda puts the most creativeness and love into his series than any other mangaka. It is as unique as you can possibly get while still purposely trying to closely follow the battle shounen genre. It makes some other series (especially Bleach) look really pretentious. One Piece just wants to have fun but it still has more emotional depth than most other series. The newest chapter 574 just blew the entire fanbase's minds. Probably the hugest chapter in anything ever.
    The anime isn't quite as good because it's hard to keep the fast pace of the manga without overtaking it so it adds all filler in the middle of cannon stuff. Also the animation isn't fantastic most of the time.

I have read and watched some other series but these are the most important to mention me thinks
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010

Ooh, yeah, One Piece is definitely one of da best!

I cannot count how many time I laughed over something in One Piece!!!

Must remember to borrow One Piece manga volumes…

I watched all of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann just cos some guy said it was the best anime ever and I really disagree. It’s good for entertaining crazy Japanese randomness but it really lacks a decent plot, the world makes no freaking sense and everything just gets way too out of hand.

Bunch of blasphemy.

Well what's so great about it? It's good just for pure fun actiony entertainment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010

Japanese people speaking English is so funny/annoying. xD

• CommentAuthorNo One

pats Puppet on head Yeah, I know how you feel.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

...Eh?

• CommentAuthorNo One

Hmm? Oh, my Chinese relatives can speak English but it’s weird. And funny. Sometimes it’s kinda annoying but not much. And I’ve watched movies/series with Japanese people speaking English too.

There are lots of great things about it.

It’s a love letter to the super robot genre, and it’s packed full of fun references for the experienced viewer, while at the same time trying to undermine the culture of unswerving tradition in anime(and Japanese art in general), and that can even be extrapolated to human culture as a whole. It’s pretty subversive in that sense, in that it acknowledges the past as worthwhile and important, but doesn’t want that past to constrain where we go in the future. Most “let’s throw away tradition and do something new” shows view the past with disdain.

But yeah, aside from that meaningful shit, it’s just so full of sincere emotion. The show actually has the balls to kill off its dominant character early on, and the surviving characters really are nearly broken by the loss. That’s a much bigger struggle than most shounen characters go through, especially given how much said characters(and the show itself) lean on him, but Gurren Lagann revels in the struggle. If you couldn’t connect with the show on an emotional level, I have absolutely no idea how you can call OP emotional, since most of its big emotional scenes that I read struck me as really maudlin and forced.

It’s also got one of the best long-term character arcs I’ve seen in a show in Viral’s. The recurring antagonist joining the side of good after being defeated is nothing new, but Viral’s conversion isn’t done in a cheap “Oh this ass-kicking has opened my eyes, you were right all along! I will fight alongside you now!” kind of way. He steadily works his way from villain to anti-villain to anti-hero to regular old hero in a way that’s completely consistent with his initial character, and by the time he joins it feels completely natural. Most shows have neither the subtlety nor the patience to actually allow that kind of arc to play out.

Its overarching plot is at least as good as any other shounen fighting show. There are lots of subtle references and buildup to the post-timeskip reveals in the first half, specifically about the purpose behind the creation of the Beastmen and Lordgenome’s real motives, and the rapid advance of humanity. I’d rather watch a plot that builds upon itself steadily instead of throwing in BIG TWEESTS to make pretensions of complexity.

So true.

And while I didn’t like the first 8 episodes, I thought TTGL was good.

Yeah, on the one hand, I’m amused by Engrish since I understand how it’s constructed(I am a fruent Engrish speaker). On the other hand, it pretty much ruins any scene its in, which sucks if it shows up in a show I like *cough*Beck*cough*.

I too am elated that we finally have a Mango thread!

Since I’m posting a long time after zealously stalking the forums I’ll keep it short

I prefer Subs since Japanese VAs are obviously far more zealous about their work ( I will never ever get over the Flame of Recca dubs on animax… scarred me bad)

I will soon post a mini list of ‘anime i like(d) and ones which i suggest you watch to please the rainbow dragon ‘ (it will be WITH PICTURES!!!!!!)

AND I WAS LIKETHE HEART” At least it wasn’t AND I WAS LIKETHE HEART OF HEARTS” :o
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

So true.

Exactly, Marquis.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010 edited

But yeah, aside from that meaningful shit, it’s just so full of sincere emotion. The show actually has the balls to kill off its dominant character early on, and the surviving characters really are nearly broken by the loss. That’s a much bigger struggle than most shounen characters go through, especially given how much said characters(and the show itself) lean on him, but Gurren Lagann revels in the struggle. If you couldn’t connect with the show on an emotional level, I have absolutely no idea how you can call OP emotional, since most of its big emotional scenes that I read struck me as really maudlin and forced.

I don’t really get what the difference is between an emotional scene that is sincere and one that is maudlin and forced. Like I don’t get what makes a scene maudlin and forced. I think they’re all sincere. It’s all about whether you can connect to the characters. I find it hard to connect to characters in short series. Gurren Lagann is only about 50 episodes. And I never really care about people in movies. One Piece has given us a huge amount of time to spend with the characters so that Luffy vs Usopp actually meant something, while Naruto vs Sasuke wasn’t emotional at all because it was early on and they weren’t even real friends.And maybe it’s because you said you read the scenes. The chapters do almost nothing to me but when I watch it in the anime I can get a bit teary-eyed and choked up sometimes.

Killing off characters isn’t always really about having balls or not. Eiichiro Oda has his reasons for not killing off characters, but recently he just killed a major character in a big way which makes the impact of the death so much greater than a death could be in any series that regularly kills off its characters. Maybe a bit unrealistic that only one person has died in the present timeline but eh. One Piece isn’t about realism, it’s about bringing dreams to life, but the world still makes enough sense. Like I said, the world of Gurren Lagann hardly makes any sense, not that that’s neccessarily a bad thing.

So yeah since I’m not that experienced with the robot genre I guess I couldn’t enjoy the meaningful shit. The storyline was still nothing really that special even with it building itself steadily without big twists to create pretentions of complexity, but the characters and emotion are probably better than I give them credit for. One Piece is pretty simple and builds steadily without huge stupid twists but it is surprisingly deep.

Now here’s some interesting fanart:

argh pictures never seem to work for me…

Gurren Lagann is only about 50 episodes.

Eh, it’s actually 27 (and a handful of compilation movies).

really? I remember it being more.. Maybe I shouldve checked. Well then that makes my point even better

FMA:B’s airing right now, and it feels so good to hear the English VAs again. Although, the new Al sounds too girly.

Just because OP is hundreds of chapters/episodes doesn’t mean the characters have any more depth than they would in any series of normal(read: ~26 episodes) length. The only character who did strike me as having any real depth was Usopp, because he was written in a way you’d expect an underpowered person in a group of freaks would act.

Like I said, the world of Gurren Lagann hardly makes any sense

How does it make any less sense than OP’s world?

I didn't say One Piece has more depth because it's much longer, I just said there wasn't enough time for me to get attached to the characters in Gurren Lagann.

The whole spiral and anti-spiral thing is a bit wtf? especially when the mole ended up having tons of it and could take a humanoid shape, and its a bit silly that the good guys have an endless supply of spiral energy and can just keep on raising it higher and higher in seconds like in Dragon Ball Z. The existance of spirals and antispirals and beastmen in the first place and their weird goal of keeping humanity low so the universe wont get destroyed or whatever is silly. The robots somehow being designed to combine with each other by drilling into each other and creating drills and such out of nothing is silly. Chucking galaxies at each other is silly. Oh and eating half a mole's tail that is dropped through the drill that can open to regain energy is silly.

One Piece's world wouldn't work in real life what with a ring-shaped continent that goes around the world with 2 calm belts along the equator creating the grandline between them, reverse mountain being able to have water currents going diagonally up, islands having different seasons and times and magnetic pulls, sky islands with a knock up stream shooting a large chunk of land up to float on clouds, people living on the moon and getting there via a giant ship with propellers, and a weird bottomless pit in the middle of the ocean where water falls into nothingness. BUT it keeps all this nonsense reasonably simple and it all works well together to be semi-believable within its own world.

Devil fruits have yet to be explained so you can't really say they dont make sense. Devil fruits and the other powers in the One Piece world aren't really any stupider than any magic system in anything. Probably the smartest most believable magic system there is is alchemy in Fullmetal Alchemist. And I guess Naruto's is pretty well done for the most part.

Animé is stupid. Get over it.

Is that Fist of the North Star?

Watching a bit of Buso Renkin right now. So far, it looks… interesting.

And what the hell’s with the anime industry’s current fascination with alchemy and homunculi?

I just finished the anime I mentioned a while ago. I took a break from it and finished it this morning. It was cliched, ridiculously fanservicey, and unintentionally hilarious.

I’m looking at the Bee Train’s girls with guns series. Has anyone watched Noir, Madlax, or El Cazador de la Bruja?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010

Madlax was okay from what little I remember of it.

Terra e… (I believe it’s been translated as Toward the Terra) is a great series. I highly recommend the remake. I can’t believe I left it out of my first post; it’s one of my all-time favorites. The animation is fluid, the music is wonderful, the characters are just wonderful, and it deals with a number of issues that are relevant today without getting preachy about it.

/gushing

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010

I just finished Code Geass R2. Compared with Gundam 00 the characters and story of Code Geass were a lot better. Although, as with both Gundam 00 and Code Geass, I liked the story and plot that they started with, but both of them trailed off from the original story a bit too much. The ending of Code Geass was much more satisfactory then that of Gundam 00.

On the contrary, I thought R2 started off all right, but got really stupid by the end.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010

Exactly, Marquis. Both shows got really stupid at the end.

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku

Folks can you recommend me some good anime? I finished Kemono no Souja Erin like a week ago and once again I have nothing to watch:S
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ghibli movies, if you haven’t already seen them.

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku

I saw all of them, even Hotaru no haka and Neko no ongaeshi:S Some of them even more than 10 times...

Welcome to the NHK is pretty sweet. The dub is surprisingly awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku

I saw that already as well and in Japanese. I just hate dubbed anime, unless it's something by Ghibly where usually the dubbed version is better than the original

Gurren Lagann, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, Baccano!, Ouran, Ghost In The Shell: SAC.

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku

Except for Gurren Legann and Baccano, I saw all of them. so I'll check those two:P
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I saw all of them, even Hotaru no haka and Neko no ongaeshi:S Some of them even more than 10 times…

I approve of this. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010 edited

You won’t regret it, Lilan.

Also, I would recommend Eyeshield 21 if the anime was even a quarter as good as the manga, but alas, it isn’t.

@Lilan Jaku

I saw that already as well and in Japanese. I just hate dubbed anime, unless it’s something by Ghibli where usually the dubbed version is better than the original

So do I, which is why I was so surprised by its quality.

I feel awkward being the only person here who actually prefers dubs. Yeah, I’ll admit there are some pretty bad English versions of shows (Higurashi, anything by 4kids), but I just feel there are some really good dubs that end up surpassing the subs (FMA, FLCL, Yu Yu Hakusho).